PDA

View Full Version : re RideOn TPS ???? I am confused!

bmwlarry
02-18-2013, 05:27 PM
I am wanting to put rideon in my tires for my spyderfest ride. I am confused. I have talked with two Can Am Spyder dealers and both have been doing spyders using the motorcycle formulation. I have heard to use only automotive formulations in spyder tires. What is the truth? The dealers say the formulation is the same but if you look on the website:

Motorcycle is 8 oz. / 14.95
Automotive is 16 oz. for 19.95

That is quite a difference!

Where is the best place to get it delivered from to get the best price break?

Thanks!

tobor9
02-18-2013, 06:17 PM
The only differance is that Syder tires need more then 8ozs of Ride-On so buying the auto holds enough to do it,I forget how much you need,there is a thred here with the info on how much in front and rear,I bought enought for both our Spyders,great stuff!

bmwlarry
02-18-2013, 07:13 PM
The ride on company has informed me that the motorcycle formulation IS different than the automotive formula !

BajaRon
02-18-2013, 07:31 PM
We are running automotive tires, not motorcycle tires. Highly recommend using the automotive formula. I think Ride-On will tell you the same thing.

SilverFox1
02-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Does the Ride On company realize that Spyder tires are more like car tires than motorcycle tires?
Just thinking out loud here. Would this make a difference?

SilverFox

BajaRon
02-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Does the Ride On company realize that Spyder tires are more like car tires than motorcycle tires?
Just thinking out loud here. Would this make a difference?

SilverFox

It's not that the Spyder's tires are 'More Like'... they ARE automotive tires. There is nothing 'Motorcycle' about the tires used on our Spyders.

Phyxius
02-18-2013, 07:51 PM
It's not that the Spyder's tires are 'More Like'... they ARE automotive tires. There is nothing 'Motorcycle' about the tires used on our Spyders.
The tires say motorcycle on them. At least, mine do!

SilverFox1
02-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Good Grief!! Thanks for bringing that up Phyxius. I always thought they looked more like automotive tires
but your right, they are motorcycle tires. As a matter of fact it says right on them "For Special Motorcycle use only"
Now I'm really mixed up. Did I get taken by BRP for not having automotive tires or have I got a "Special Motorcycle"?
Either way I'm keeping them and installing Ride On for automotive use.

SilverFox

boborgera
02-18-2013, 08:27 PM

That's what mine said also, Looks are deceiving, To some they do look like car tires.
But there not. They wouldn't last 5 hundred miles on a car before the sidewalls gave up.

Bumblebee67
02-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Read this......... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?19153-Ride-On-for-your-Spyder :thumbup:

NancysToy
02-18-2013, 08:55 PM
No matter how the tires are labeled, for regulatory purposes, the difference between motorcycle and automobile tires is in their profile, construction, and design...not their labels. The Spyder tires are automotive in everything but the number of plies and depth of rubber. Ride-On told me to use automotive formula when I called them to ask...but that was quite a while back.

TuckMiddle
02-18-2013, 08:58 PM
They are still saying to use the auto cans.
18 oz in the rear and 13 oz in the front tires.

bobbobtar
02-18-2013, 09:28 PM
I have the auto formula in the Spyder and just ordered some more for my enclosed 7x22 trailer, if you buy the scratch & dent bottles it's a savings of about $9 a 16oz bottle.

my3gs
02-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Just got some for the :spyder2: and saved 10% just put LAMONSTER in the code. Yes it works.

BajaRon
02-19-2013, 10:16 AM

That is because the tread is only 2 ply which is not enough for the weight of a car. You don't want to put Spyder tires on a car because of this but the tires on our Spyders are Automotive Design, not Motorcycle Design. The 'Motorcycle' designation on the side is just to keep you from putting them on your car where they are not heavy duty enough to work safely.

When it comes to design and construction, the tires on our Spyders are 100% Automotive in every respect. That is why car tires (with a 4 ply instead of a 2 ply tread) work very well on our Spyders.

Or, put another way. Try putting motorcycle tires on your Spyder and see how far you get.

Cruzr Joe
02-19-2013, 12:11 PM
" That is because the tread is only 2 ply which is not enough for the weight of a car. You don't want to put Spyder tires on a car because of this but the tires on our Spyders are Automotive Design, not Motorcycle Design. The 'Motorcycle' designation on the side is just to keep you from putting them on your car where they are not heavy duty enough to work safely.

When it comes to design and construction, the tires on our Spyders are 100% Automotive in every respect. That is why car tires (with a 4 ply instead of a 2 ply tread) work very well on our Spyders. "

SO, it would be better to use car tires on the Spyder than the "Special Motorcyle" Tires? What would be the benefit? :dontknow:

Cruzr Joe

bmwlarry
02-19-2013, 12:45 PM
To clarify:
I just spent quote a while on the phone with RideOn Tech support. Here is what I learned:

The formulations are different
Motorcycle formulation is less viscous and is better at puncture protection
Auto formulation is more viscous and better at dynamic balance
the formulations can be mixed
Auto formula is NOT avail from dealers (only online) - only motorcycle formular at dealers.
If you have had you rideon installed at a dealer - it is motorcycle formula!
He said, "if it were him, he would use the motorcycle formulation for puncture protection.
He said. "Leave the weights on at install & after the tires wear (10,000 miles) you may notice developing balance issues. At that time, remove the weights and the rideon will rebalance!

Sooooooo, I will use the motorcycle formulation (for better puncture protection).

BajaRon
02-19-2013, 01:40 PM
SO, it would be better to use car tires on the Spyder than the "Special Motorcyle" Tires? What would be the benefit? :dontknow:

Cruzr Joe

My opinion but this is the way I see it.

Advantages
1- More options to choose from
2- Many are less expensive
3- Longer service life (less tread wear)
4- 4 ply tread instead of 2 ply tread giving you
* More puncture/cut protection
* Flatter tread area
* More contact with road surface at higher speeds
* More uniform wear (center does not wear out first)
Disadvantages
1- There are options that will fit but are not as good as the OEM tire so you have to do your homework
2- Some higher end options are more expensive than OEM but you're also getting a better tire.

Results are not universal. Some get about the same mileage from aftermarket tires than the OEM tires.

bmwlarry
02-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Well, Im home with the RideOn Mortorcycle TPS in place. There was vibration for about 1 1/2 miles and then it turned smooth as silk! Much smother that before. I left the weights on and am good to go! RideOn in all three spyder tires as well as my Aspen Sentry tires.

Lamonster
02-19-2013, 04:28 PM
No matter how the tires are labeled, for regulatory purposes, the difference between motorcycle and automobile tires is in their profile, construction, and design...not their labels. The Spyder tires are automotive in everything but the number of plies and depth of rubber. Ride-On told me to use automotive formula when I called them to ask...but that was quite a while back.

Seems it depends on who you talk to there. The specs I put down was a cut and paste from what the "head tech" at Ride-On told me at the time. Either one will stop a leak but the automotive balances out better I was told. :dontknow:

NancysToy
02-19-2013, 04:39 PM
Seems it depends on who you talk to there. The specs I put down was a cut and paste from what the "head tech" at Ride-On told me at the time. Either one will stop a leak but the automotive balances out better I was told. :dontknow:
Apparently it does matter about who you talk to. I can't remember who told me to use the automotive. It also apparently matters whether you are more interested in the puncture protection or the balancing properties. Interesting that this latest advice nets the company considerably more money in sales...the motorcycle formula is more expensive per ounce when purchased in those small bottles. :dontknow:

boborgera
02-19-2013, 06:11 PM
I think some of the confusion comes from when Ride on first came on as a sponsor 2/3 years ago, The 3 wheels were new to them, They mostly dealt with 4 or as in Motorcycles 2 wheels, So they would recommend the auto formula for trikes so as to have enough for the relatively large rear tire on the Spyder... .:dontknow:

Gary1951
02-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Do you have to remove the wheels to install RideOn?

Gary

NancysToy
02-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Do you have to remove the wheels to install RideOn?

Gary
No

georam
02-22-2013, 02:09 PM
I called Ride-On customer support and they said make sure to use automotive Ride-On for the Spyder or other trikes. They also told me it was much easier to install Ride-On if you heat the bottles in warm water around 160 degrees or so. I would take a good highway spin as soon as you get it installed.

scooterexpress
02-23-2013, 12:29 PM
i just ordered this it comes with 4 bottles of ride-on 16oz anyone interested in a bottle 20buck plus ship (p.m. me you can use paypal) with the discount we get it comes to 86$ for 4 bottles with ship. i just relised that there home page said free shipping on 75 and over i just emailed them to find out whats up.

scooterexpress
02-25-2013, 09:16 AM
just got feedback on the free shipping if you use lamonster for discount you dont get free shipping so shipping is 14+ thats the cheapest so having to order the 4 bottles to get a better price i ended up paying more for them by using discount doesn't make sense that this should happen but it did..you only need 3 but thats 60 plus 14s/h but it cheaper on the 4pk.gives you a extra bottle so maybe you can gift it to another spyder? just sayin..

Questions
02-25-2013, 10:29 AM
It's funny that everyone is getting different pricing from Ride On. I just ordered (and received) four bottles of Ride On, automotive formula, applied for and got Lemonster's 10% discount AND FREE SHIPPING. The price came to $71.82.....!!

scooterexpress
02-25-2013, 01:00 PM
that really p.o's me i'm calling them right now and asking for refund on shipping.

scooterexpress
02-27-2013, 08:51 AM
well called and talked to ride-on they basically blew me off stuck the shaft right up the uknow what,can't belive they would do such a thing to us spyder lovers,well all i can say is be more aware of what they are offering for specials..