PDA

View Full Version : Spyderlovers Scolding !!!!!

arntufun
02-17-2013, 07:11 PM
It's called SODA .................. not "POP" or "Coke" !!!!! Coke is a "brand" of Soda. :roflblack:

juliantrost
02-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Nor "FIZZY"

PrairieSpyder
02-17-2013, 07:19 PM
When I moved to Atlanta, I went to a fast-food place and asked what kinds of soda they had. The reply was, "Yer not from aroun' 'ere, ere ya?"

Now I know that everything is Coke and the correct question would have been, "What kinda coke do you have?"

Bob Denman
02-17-2013, 07:48 PM
I'd rather discuss the various names for a sandwich laid out on an elongated roll... :dontknow:

SpyderAnn01
02-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Randy it looks like the Pops have it! I always knew I was right. :roflblack:

dave01
02-17-2013, 07:54 PM
I'd rather discuss the various names for a sandwich laid out on an elongated roll... :dontknow:

That would be a Po'Boy

spyderbirds
02-17-2013, 08:26 PM
It's called a hoagie.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Spyderjockey
02-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Quite a few years ago I was in one of the southern states and stopped at a diner for coffee and a "coffee stick" which for years back here in central NY meant an elongated pastry with chocolate or white icing. The waitress brought my coffee and I thought she was going to get my "coffee stick", but when she didn't come back with it I asked her if she forgot my coffee stick and she said that it was right there on the counter next to the saucer. It was a wooden coffee stir stick.:roflblack: I told her what I meant and she started laughing and said she had never heard of that before.:dontknow:

arntufun
02-17-2013, 08:53 PM
That would be a Po'Boy

It's called a hoagie.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Thats so wrong.................. It's a SUB !!!!!!! :thumbup:

camper1
02-17-2013, 08:55 PM
So Coke was invented in Georgia, Dr Pepper in Texas, and Pepsi in North Carolina, and the northern states decide how one should refer to it....I think not!!! And if I do refer to said liquid refreshment, I call them soft drinks!!
I could be tracked across the country by the rise and fall of Dr Pepper sales!
:ohyea:

NancysToy
02-17-2013, 09:05 PM
You're kidding, right? My son is moving back to Michigan from Florida just because nobody understands what he is asking for when he says "Pop". Michigan is a pure blue state. :roflblack:

Arr MiHardies
02-17-2013, 09:30 PM
You are all wrong. Technically, they are called "Soft drinks" to differentiate themselves from the "hard drinks" like liquor, beer and other spirits.

And regardless of the type and length of bread, they are still just a "sandwich"

bruiser
02-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Down here when I stop for a break I'm going in to the store and get me a cold drink (soda, pop or what ever) and a pack of Nabs. Oh, and coke is not allowed on my property unless it has real honest to goodness lemon in it. Pepsi is my drink of choice for a cold drink. And Bob, where I come from it's a sub. After all, isn't the store named Subway?

Cavman
02-17-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm going with soft drinks because that's what they are called in the bottling industry. As said above, different from drinks with alcohol in them.
Worked for the company that has half the world's market in the blow molding industry. Just about every plastic bottle you see on the market, we made the mold for that bottle.

Chupaca
02-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Soda pop, soda, pop, cola = soft drinks

Hoggie, hero, submarine (sub), po-boy = sandwich

Simple math....:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

TicketBait
02-18-2013, 01:29 AM
You mean, :yes:Sugar water

Captain Fin
02-18-2013, 07:49 AM
So Coke was invented in Georgia, Dr Pepper in Texas, and Pepsi in North Carolina, and the northern states decide how one should refer to it....I think not!!! And if I do refer to said liquid refreshment, I call them soft drinks!!
I could be tracked across the country by the rise and fall of Dr Pepper sales!
:ohyea:
Dr. John Penbert from Atlanta Georgia invented Coke but he was working in a little town on the Missippi river.

Bob Denman
02-18-2013, 08:40 AM
"Subs"... so named for all of the dailey deliveries to the submarine building facilities around Groton, Ct. :2thumbs:
I don't remember the background for "Hoagie", "Grinder", "Po-Boy" or "Hero" :opps:
Can anybody help out?

Cruzr Joe
02-18-2013, 08:44 AM

it's a Hero

arntufun
02-18-2013, 08:50 AM
And another thing ............. :roflblack:

Please don't say......... Pass me a Kleenex. It's called a Facial tissue. Kleenex is a "brand" of Facial tissues. :thumbup:

Oldmanzues
02-18-2013, 08:56 AM
The "proper" answer to the first question is half the request. R O C and a Moon Pie. Sandwhich might be Gyro.
Oldmanzues

boborgera
02-18-2013, 09:32 AM
"Subs"... so named for all of the dailey deliveries to the submarine building facilities around Groton, Ct. :2thumbs:
I don't remember the background for "Hoagie", "Grinder", "Po-Boy" or "Hero" :opps:
Can anybody help out?

Hoagie, Came from the workers sandwiches during WW 2 at Hog Island Philadelphia's Navy yard.

Bob Denman
02-18-2013, 09:36 AM
"Hog Island"; Thanks! :thumbup: I knew that it was another Naval yard reference...

boborgera
02-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Hoagie, Came from the workers sandwiches during WW 2 at Hog Island Philadelphia's Navy yard.

Just to add Hero was coined because, You had to be a Hero to finish one, Now remember back then 1930's? they stuffed those sandwiches to the gills, Not like those 11 and a half inch, Under stuffed you get at that Major chain.

bob edward
02-18-2013, 09:44 AM
here in canada we call it a sub:thumbup:

JJW SpyderRider
02-18-2013, 09:58 AM
I travel all over the country and run into this all the time. I now just ask for water :D

Littlebadwolf
02-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Also know as a "Grinder" in some states..

A submarine sandwich, also known as a hero sandwich, Italian Sandwich, sub, hoagie, torpedo, baguette or grinder amongst many regional naming variations, is a sandwich (http://www.spyderlovers.com/wiki/Sandwich) that consists of a long roll (http://www.spyderlovers.com/wiki/Bread_roll) of Italian (http://www.spyderlovers.com/wiki/Italian_bread) or French bread (http://www.spyderlovers.com/wiki/French_bread), split lengthwise either into two pieces or opened in a "V" on one side, and filled with a variety of meats, cheeses, vegetables, seasonings, and sauces.

And then there's the infamous Lobster Roll that I absolutely love....

Arr MiHardies
02-18-2013, 10:37 AM

Please don't say......... Pass me a Kleenex. It's called a Facial tissue. Kleenex is a "brand" of Facial tissues. :thumbup:

And it's not a Q-Tip, it's a cotton swab....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Motorcycledave
02-18-2013, 01:32 PM
In California if you went in and ask for a Grinder, they would send you to
Harbor Freight.

And it's not a Q-Tip, it's a cotton swab....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PrairieSpyder
02-18-2013, 02:12 PM
One of my Georgia friends reminded me it's either Coke or "cold drink."

ARtraveler
02-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Can we forget Frigidare and refrigerator?

PrairieSpyder
02-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Can we forget Frigidare and refrigerator?

I still say "ice box!"

boborgera
02-18-2013, 03:05 PM
I still say "ice box!"

When i was a kid, We had a Ice Box, I would remember the the Ice Man would deliver ice once a week.
My old Man would still up to his passing call the refrigerator ''The ice box;;
Me i call it the Beer cooler. ;)

serf
02-18-2013, 03:08 PM
It's called SODA .................. not "POP" or "Coke" !!!!! Coke is a "brand" of Soda. :roflblack:

I calls it sodie pop.:yes:

Sarge707
02-18-2013, 05:15 PM

Well if Ya buy a Sub in Indiana they will ask you ,
"Do you want a Sack for that?":bbq:

spydaman60
02-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Can anybody help out? it's a grinder! :dontknow:don't ask me why, :dontknow:but it's a grinder!:thumbup:

Spyder ri
02-18-2013, 07:01 PM
it's a grinder! :dontknow:don't ask me why, :dontknow:but it's a grinder!:thumbup:

Second the Grinder!!!!!!!!

NancysToy
02-18-2013, 07:09 PM
.....My old Man would still up to his passing call the refrigerator ''The ice box;;.....
Mine, too! And right up until he died my mom would chime in, "We have a refrigerator now."

hotglue
02-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Wanna a coke?...... we have Dr Pepper, Root Beer, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Sprite, 7Up, Cream Soda, etc.....
What kinda coke do ya want?:chill::yes:

bruiser
02-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Here in the Old North State a shopping cart is refered to as a buggy. One time we were visiting my sister in PA, my brother in law and I went to the grocery store I asked him if we needed a buggy, he said "the only people up here with buggies are the Amish".

StriperKing
02-18-2013, 08:03 PM
Just to add Hero was coined because, You had to be a Hero to finish one, Now remember back then 1930's? they stuffed those sandwiches to the gills, Not like those 11 and a half inch, Under stuffed you get at that Major chain.

Ya and where you get the other half of your first slice if you ask for extra cheese. :shocked:

boborgera
02-18-2013, 08:05 PM
it's a grinder! :dontknow:don't ask me why, :dontknow:but it's a grinder!:thumbup:

Grinder are hot sandwiches that are cooked/heated in a Pizza oven, And has to be scraped/ground out of the oven when the pama sticks to the oven. Using the biga pizza paddle. They got the name from the sound the paddle makes removing them from the oven.

serf
02-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Well if Ya buy a Sub in Indiana they will ask you ,
"Do you want a Sack for that?":bbq:
This is over my head... I've heard green peppers called mangos.

PrairieSpyder
02-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Here in the Old North State a shopping cart is refered to as a buggy. One time we were visiting my sister in PA, my brother in law and I went to the grocery store I asked him if we needed a buggy, he said "the only people up here with buggies are the Amish".

"Buggies" at the supermarket are a Southern thang. I lived in Georgia 15 years and never got used to that.

lyonsden
02-18-2013, 10:51 PM

Please don't say......... Pass me a Kleenex. It's called a Facial tissue. Kleenex is a "brand" of Facial tissues. :thumbup: I AGREE! My wife sent me to the store with a list and it said Kleenex so that's what I bought. Got home and she said "you knew I meant Puffs. We don't use Kleenex." I said "baby before you, I used tissue that came on a roll for my Kleenex." Now she writes "Puffs" on the list.:roflblack:

boborgera
02-18-2013, 11:11 PM
I AGREE! My wife sent me to the store with a list and it said Kleenex so that's what I bought. Got home and she said "you knew I meant Puffs. We don't use Kleenex." I said "baby before you, I used tissue that came on a roll for my Kleenex." Now she writes "Puffs" on the list.:roflblack:

Been there , Got Yelled at also.:gaah:I told my Wife whats the difference? That's thats what long sleeve
shirts are for.:dontknow:

Ga Blue Knight
02-19-2013, 06:16 AM

I guess you don't use aspirin either? Aceticsalicylic acid for you bub! Aspirin is a trademark of the Bayer corp.

Ga Blue Knight
02-19-2013, 06:20 AM
I travel all over the country and run into this all the time. I now just ask for water :D

And now which brand of water would you like?

rc51ny
02-19-2013, 06:31 AM
Here in Western New York you order a "pop" and sub (aka Subway!). But go downstate just a little bit and it's a "soda". Just another reason to sell off downstate to New Jersey!

stillriding
02-19-2013, 07:22 AM
...then there was the Victrola.

Bob Denman
02-19-2013, 08:29 AM
All this talk of sandwiches; I'm getting HUNGRY!! :shocked:http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_80.gif

boborgera
02-19-2013, 09:44 AM
All this talk of sandwiches; I'm getting HUNGRY!! :shocked:http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_80.gif

Yep, just came back from a short ride with my Taylor Ham egg and cheese, On a roll.
Only available in Jersey, All others are imitations. nojoke

PrairieSpyder
02-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Yep, just came back from a short ride with my Taylor Ham egg and cheese, On a roll.

On a "roll?" That's another regional language difference. I'd say on a "bun."

boborgera
02-19-2013, 11:30 AM
On a "roll?" That's another regional language difference. I'd say on a "bun."

Every now and then , I would have it on a Bagel, Thats not regional is it?:dontknow:
:roflblack::rolleyes:

DR Buck
02-19-2013, 12:03 PM

We all need to remember something we should have leardned during the last election. It's got nothing to do with how much of the map is what color. It's all about the population within any given color. Given that , I going to have to say 'SODA' wins! :roflblack:

flamingobabe
02-19-2013, 12:09 PM
here in canada we call it a sub:thumbup:

but y'all serve the best brown gravy with fries....yum good

Bob Denman
02-19-2013, 03:37 PM
We all need to remember something we should have leardned during the last election. It's got nothing to do with how much of the map is what color. It's all about the population within any given color. Given that , I going to have to say 'SODA' wins! :roflblack:

Are straying a bit close to the edge of what may become a Political discussion now? :shocked: :roflblack:

As long as it's Diet Pepsi.... :2thumbs:

bruiser
02-19-2013, 04:08 PM

Bob, how about a pork roll and egg sandwich????

bruiser
02-19-2013, 04:14 PM
I told the wife this morning, as I left for my dental appointment, that I would get a coffee and biscuit after the appointment. In fact we have stores down here called Biscuitville, they serve some good biscuits. Now you blokes across the pond, I don't mean a British biscuit either.

spydrluvr
02-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Soft drinks are known as pop because the carbonated water in them caused pressure in glass bottles, they had a tendency to explode or at the least, blow the cork.
When the cork came out, whether by accident or design, the noise it made naturally led to the name “pop.”
With the introduction of the crown cap and the improved quality of glass, the sound virtually disappeared, but the name stuck.

so for my whole very life...pop it is, and yes, i would also say on a bun:popcorn:

juliantrost
02-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Bob, how about a pork roll and egg sandwich????

Never heard of that expression till I went to my kid's Lacrosse tailgate party, last year, and was asked if I wanted a "pork roll".

SpyderDon
02-19-2013, 05:48 PM
I think I've heard every one of them, being originally from Ohio it was POP. Pork roll, been a long time sinse I've heard that mentioned, brings back memories of Philadelphia...