PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Spyder

Tigger
02-17-2013, 04:52 PM
We have two issues with leaks.

1. Oil coming from Airbox and dripping on radiator on right side

2. Coolant dripping out right side.

Are these common issues? Still under warranty, but hate taking to dealer if it is something I can fix.

Texmac1011
02-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Oil in the airbox has been a common issue with the RS in the past.

Coolant leak not a common issue as far as I know.

boborgera
02-17-2013, 06:07 PM

Are these common issues? Still under warranty, but hate taking to dealer if it is something I can fix.

Very common, And easily fixed, Do a search on blow by and radiator leaks, Then you can fix it yourself
or give the info to your dealer and let them take care of it..

arntufun
02-17-2013, 06:08 PM

Oil in air box is a common problem. Try not to over fill the oil to "help" prevent it or there are a couple of modifications you can do to prevent it entirely.

Coolant is another story and should not happen. This is another well known issue and could be from a few things. Cracked coolant reseivour, loose clamp or it could be from the weep hole on the water pump. All three need to be checked and fixed if needed.

Bob Denman
02-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Oh! That coolant cap is a :cus: to get re-installed correctly. I think that you've got to twist it intil you reach the second detent... :shocked:

Tx web rider
02-17-2013, 06:45 PM
IS NOT a normal thing

IT is a common thing with RS

and is not ALWAYS from over filling

mine sits in the shop they said i over filled it that's why it puked a quart into the air box

my front cylinder has a pressure of 95 and rear has 205 sounds to me i have something else going wrong here

so oil in the box is not ALWAYS a over fill thing can be a serous condition

Chupaca
02-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Agree that the oil is common but only in small amounts. The coolant not so much. Check the obvious, radiator cap hose clamps and the weep hole at the pump. The cap and clamps are easy the rest not. :dontknow:

Tigger
02-19-2013, 08:10 PM
At the dealer now.

docdoru
02-20-2013, 05:46 AM
The coolant dripping on right side could be the reservoir bottle crack (common for a 2 years old RS).
See the 2012 upgrade for that part.

Bob Denman
02-20-2013, 11:33 AM
At the dealer now.
:thumbup: Please let us know what they have to say. Good Luck! :2thumbs:

JasonAM
02-22-2013, 04:26 PM
A good resolve for the oil in your air box is installing the kewl metal air intake kit, problem solved, issues i've heard about leaking coolant could be as simple as a hose clamp not tightened or positioned properly. Good luck hopefully everything works out for you:thumbup:

Tigger
02-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Still in shop. 8" of snow and salted roads, they can keep it for awhile:yikes:

boborgera
02-23-2013, 11:11 AM
A good resolve for the oil in your air box is installing the kewl metal air intake kit, problem solved, :thumbup:

Correct me if I'm wrong, But unless you plug the crankcase vent hose [don't do that] your just injecting the blow by oil into the throttle body's , The blow by is still going on. You just moved the oil from the air box to the [cylinders] engine.:dontknow:

Tigger
03-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Finally got around to picking :spyder2: up from dealer. They said no oil leak, but a coolant hose on the water pump was loose. I'm going to keep a lose eye on this as do think it was oil from the Airbox. They also cleaned the VCM connections as there were voltage failure codes thrown.

Pilo
03-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, But unless you plug the crankcase vent hose [don't do that] your just injecting the blow by oil into the throttle body's , The blow by is still going on. You just moved the oil from the air box to the [cylinders] engine.:dontknow:
The oil blow-by still goes on, but routed directly into the throttle body..., not pooling in and spilling out of the huge air-box and onto the engine and radiator.

I had to install the KewlMetal air intake in my 2009 SE5 to resolve the oil-spilling problem and, as an additional "bonus", I gained unrestricted access to the front cylinder spark-plug and upper engine sections (for cleaning / maintenance / repair purposes).

It is a little noisier now when you open the throttle, but coupled with the Hindle roar, it still sound like music to my ears... :thumbup:

boborgera
03-20-2013, 03:54 PM
The oil blow-by still goes on, but routed directly into the throttle body..., not pooling in and spilling out of the huge air-box and onto the engine and radiator.

I had to install the KewlMetal air intake in my 2009 SE5 to resolve the oil-spilling problem and, as an additional "bonus", I gained unrestricted access to the front cylinder spark-plug and upper engine sections (for cleaning / maintenance / repair purposes).

It is a little noisier now when you open the throttle, but coupled with the Hindle roar, it still sound like music to my ears... :thumbup:

:thumbup:
:thumbup::thumbup:

Pilo
03-20-2013, 05:47 PM

By the way..., I tried the sponge in the breather hose first...; but it got clogged, and the resulting built-up pressure inside the engine cases caused oil leaks thru the drive-shaft oil-seal and other minor places... :yikes: