PDA

View Full Version : ESI Double Play Unit

smporter420
02-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Instructions say to route the wire back of the bike under the tail section. Using posi tap, tap orange license plate light wire. My 12 RSS doesn't seem to have that wire in this location. Pretty sure it runs along right side along the frame. Is this where I should run wire to or is there another place under the tail section, or anywhere else I can connect this wire ?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

smporter420
02-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Hurray it worked

smporter420
02-16-2013, 05:46 PM

smporter420
02-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Take that back, didnt work. My right side fender lights, bright sides, fender tip, and mud flap leds, do not light up or blink. Any suggestions ?

Lamonster
02-17-2013, 07:54 AM
I had that unit on my GS and I don't remember tying in there, the license plate circuit shouldn't have anything to do with the doubleplay . Maybe they changed things but I would call whoever you bought it from. :dontknow:

pro10is
02-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Instructions say to route the wire back of the bike under the tail section. Using posi tap, tap orange license plate light wire. My 12 RSS doesn't seem to have that wire in this location. Pretty sure it runs along right side along the frame. Is this where I should run wire to or is there another place under the tail section, or anywhere else I can connect this wire ?

It just needs +12Vdc whenever the lights are on, which is all the time the bike is on. They recommend the license plate wire because that supplies +12Vdc and uses the right size fuse. You can also run this wire to the front fender running lights. That's what I did.

smporter420
02-17-2013, 09:10 PM
It just needs +12Vdc whenever the lights are on, which is all the time the bike is on. They recommend the license plate wire because that supplies +12Vdc and uses the right size fuse. You can also run this wire to the front fender running lights. That's what I did.

I dont think that will work, I also have brightsides and led mud flap lights with fender tips kit installed.

I was looking the bike over and remembered when I installed the Tips Kit that the right side Positive wire was opp. of the Left side. Left side positive wire is grey with pink stripe and on the right it is the black wire that is the positive. this is where I have posi tap connectors on them. I remember trying the grey wire on the right side and it not working. Dont know if that would make a difference. Could the Black wire (above picture) be the wire I need to tap????
hopefully they call tommorow and I can fix the issue.

pro10is
02-18-2013, 09:43 AM
I dont think that will work, I also have brightsides and led mud flap lights with fender tips kit installed.

I was looking the bike over and remembered when I installed the Tips Kit that the right side Positive wire was opp. of the Left side. Left side positive wire is grey with pink stripe and on the right it is the black wire that is the positive. this is where I have posi tap connectors on them. I remember trying the grey wire on the right side and it not working. Dont know if that would make a difference. Could the Black wire (above picture) be the wire I need to tap????
hopefully they call tommorow and I can fix the issue.

It will work regardless of the other options you installed. To use your front signal lights as running lights the Double Play unit simply requires a continuous source of +12Vdc. It then uses the signal light connections to blink the lights when you apply the turn signals or emergency flashers. So you need to supply the Double Play +12 Vdc whenever the running lights are on. Obviously the front running lights' +12Vdc wire will work for this. You can't use just any source of +12Vdc, it has to be in the lighting circuit and fused with a lower amp fuse than the headlights to protect the wiring. So your choices are the front fender running lights or the license plate light.

To determine the positive wire in either circuit simply use a voltmeter. The black wire is most likey ground however BRP does make mistakes in wiring the signal and running lights and sometimes reverses polarity of the wiring. This is a non issue with incandescent lights but a vital issue with LED lighting and the Double Play unit where polarity is critical. Using a voltmeter will resolve the problem.

Littlebadwolf
02-18-2013, 10:20 AM
I was confused a bit when I installed thier Triple Play unit on my RS and got frustrated so I gave them a call...They were terrific with some help over the phone..When I hooked it up once they clarified what was wrong I reread the instructions...Anybody guess why the confusion?......If I'd taken the time to slow down and READ the instructions, ...Just like the old adage...Take the stuff out of the box, throw the instructions aside and put it together.....Kinda like men asking for directions but thank God the GPS came along and saved me..I felt a little bit embarrassed that I had to call them,...Terrific customer support....

smporter420
02-18-2013, 12:21 PM
So if to ran it to the fender light, it will not mess with turn signal functions?

pro10is
02-18-2013, 12:36 PM
So if to ran it to the fender light, it will not mess with turn signal functions?

The fender running lights simply turn on whenever the bike is running and off when it is not, just like the headlights. So tapping into that circuit will provide the Double Play unit the continuous +12Vdc it needs to convert your turn signal lights into running lights. Connecting to the license plate light will do the same thing.

You will also connect your turn signal wires to the Double Play. This will tell it when either turn signal or the emergency flashers are in use so it can blink one or both turn signal lights. The whole idea of the Double Play is to do this while not cross connecting the two circuits.

If however you've added any option to make your fender lights blink then you will need to find the original continuous +12Vdc fender light line or tap into the license plate light.

smporter420
02-19-2013, 07:20 AM
What I did was I had my right fender tip tapped on the mirror side if molex. When it should of been posi-tapped on the bike side of harness. Weired thing was that the left positive wire was grey and on the right it was the black wire, which was tapped at first. When I moved the posi tap to the bike side of harness, the black wire didn't work. So I tried the grey wire and it worked. Weird huh.