PDA

View Full Version : Ooomg...what the..?!!!

SheWolf
02-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Hey guys, got my Spyder out for the second time this year, FINALLY! So what I've got is this. New 2012 RSS SE5, 186 miles. Yes, that's it. I'm working on getting more. :opps: Anywho, what's happened is that I took it for a ride for a few hours, did the norm, ride, stop get a few things, varied riding no highballing...start up the hill towards my house, second gear, 3700-ish rpm, steady throttle. All of a sudden I hear this bang...bang-bang-bang (it was loud...thought something was gonna fly out of it)coming from down under me, and it lurched something horrible. No codes came up. Thought maybe the belt slipped, looked back and down, it was still there. Shifted to first, gave her some light juice, banged once more. Let off the throttle a bit; was fine the rest of the way home (maybe 500 feet) in first about 3000 rpm. Wasn't on any loose gravel or dirt, wasn't throttling around any corners. Wasn't stomping on it. Any ideas? No leaks, belt is tight, still no codes. I heard about the throttle body/actuator, but thought it was limited to the RT? Hopefully someone can shed some insight into this. I know it's still under warranty and the service tech said to just ride it and if something fails the warranty service would have it towed to the shop. That's fine and dandy but....kinda leaves me going :shocked: should I ride this thing???

Lamonster
02-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Sounds like you picked up a rock and it ran through the pulleys a couple of times. I would inspect the belt all the way around.

SheWolf
02-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Ok...jacked up the ass end and spun the wheel around, checked all the teeth on the belt and the rear cog. Didn't see anything unusual; the cog didn't show any silver scraping from rocks contact on any of the teeth, and the belt didn't have any chunks missing or any splits *WHEW!*. Shone a flashlight right up to the front and spun it again, didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Gave the whole thing a good rinse again, just to get the residual grit from the road. Haven't ridden it again...kinda...well, you know a bit worried. No rocks though...unless they fell out but so far i don't see any damage from that. Good idea tho to invest in one of those belt savers.:thumbup:

Chupaca
02-15-2013, 07:34 PM
From what you explained sound like you were lugging the engine. 3000 rpm in 3rd gear going up a hill I might cough and lurch a bit myself. If you have no codes and the bike is running fine I would test it again and if it acts up again downshift...:thumbup:

boborgera
02-15-2013, 07:57 PM
From what you explained sound like you were lugging the engine. 3000 rpm in 3rd gear going up a hill I might cough and lurch a bit myself. If you have no codes and the bike is running fine I would test it again and if it acts up again downshift...
:thumbup:

:agree: Thats what it sounds like, To low rpms will cause the Spyder to buck/lurch.

SheWolf
02-15-2013, 07:59 PM
I was in second, @ 3700 rpm when it started and then dropped it to first. It did it even in first when I went to keep going, so I let off and then just buggied it the rest of the way around 3k. I don't like lugging it...mind you I don't like lugging any of my bikes. I kinda like the sound of this thing when you get the higher rpms; with the Hindle it sounds like a Nascar racer.:2thumbs: Guess all I can do is keep an eye on it next trip out. The weather's finally getting nice and I want to get some miles on this thing!

Motorcycledave
02-15-2013, 08:08 PM
That is what my Harley sounded like when the belt was loose enough to jump
the teeth on the front pulley your belt may just be to loose.
good luck
Dave

NancysToy
02-15-2013, 08:14 PM
I'm gonna guess at bad gas, condensation in the gas, bad spark plug wires, wet spark plug wires, or too low rpm. Could easily be a combination. Put some Stabil or SeaFoam in it, top off the gas, and ride the thing. Keep the rpm up as much as possible, especially up hills...this ain't no Harley or Goldwing! If the problem persists, see your dealer.

SheWolf
02-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Bad plug wires...well, that would be warranty. Wet plug wires...def not that everything was bone dry. Bad gas. Oooh boy I hope not this was a full cherry can of premium I just got last night! :yikes: Funny thing was it ran fine all day with that tank of gas until just before I pulled into the driveway. I'll check the belt in the morning and see again. :thumbup:

NancysToy
02-15-2013, 11:09 PM
Bad plug wires...well, that would be warranty. Wet plug wires...def not that everything was bone dry. Bad gas. Oooh boy I hope not this was a full cherry can of premium I just got last night! :yikes: Funny thing was it ran fine all day with that tank of gas until just before I pulled into the driveway. I'll check the belt in the morning and see again. :thumbup:
Could still be a throttle body or other issue. Have your dealer check for codes. The procedure for owners only displays active codes. Your problem may not have been active the moment you checked. Could still just be low rpm...or even Miss Nanny kicking in (although she is usually more gentle and quiet).

bluestratos
02-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Before the latest software upgrade mine would do this, usually from a cold start though it has happened when warm. It had something to do with the throttle body going nuts and did not always through a code but many times it would go into limp mode. Since then I have put on 7k miles and while it will do it a bit if i try to move it short after a cold start, if I allow to warm a 5 mins or so it is fine, which my mechanic said is normal. Just food for thought.

SheWolf
02-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Yeah...I've had miss nanny kick in before and usually she just powers down and you get the pop pop pop out the exhaust when you are on the throttle until traction comes back. It was definitely a loud bang, like real loud. Hammer on metal loud. Did any of the RS have the TB probs?

arntufun
02-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Yeah...I've had miss nanny kick in before and usually she just powers down and you get the pop pop pop out the exhaust when you are on the throttle until traction comes back. It was definitely a loud bang, like real loud. Hammer on metal loud. Did any of the RS have the TB probs?

No..................... I don't think there was ever a reported issue on an RS. If there was, it wasn't many. Mine is fly by cable (not wire) and I think yours is to.

As to your banging, you got me ????? :dontknow: Are you sure it wasn't out of your tailpipe ???? Where do you think it was coming from ???????

SheWolf
02-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Definitely wasn't coming from my tailpipe. I've heard it backfire before when I shift. This came from right under me; it was so loud I couldn't really pinpoint exactly where it came from. Just scared the bejeesus out of me, so I slacked out of it and then shifted into first. I didn't think 3700 in 2nd was that low...went into first and it did it once and then stopped.:dontknow:

SPYDER Mike
02-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Sounds like a rock/pebble went through the belt, It will Scare The Holly Beejesus Out Of You. Happened twice to us on a recently chip sealed road. Definitely an eye opening experience.

SheWolf
02-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Around here...anything is possible. even when the roads are clean, you get those little pieces of pea gravel that like to come out of nowhere and take out a headlight. Def investing in the missing belt guard...should have ordered that the same time I ordered the bump skid.:gaah:

ARtraveler
02-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Cannot offer any mechanical advice--but will be watching to see how it all works out for you.

SpyderGirl
02-17-2013, 01:41 AM
:agree: Thats what it sounds like, To low rpms will cause the Spyder to buck/lurch.

:agree: You are shifting way too soon. The Spyder likes high RPMs. You should cruise and no less than 4,500. Climbing a hill.... 5,500+. I stay in 2nd until about 45mph.

I have been a GS owner for five years with over 60,000 miles on a Spyder under my belt.

Blue Star
02-17-2013, 02:11 AM
Funny thing was it ran fine all day with that tank of gas until just before I pulled into the driveway.

Your bike did not like going home, and wanted to play longer. I was thinking too low RPM's.

SheWolf
02-18-2013, 12:37 AM
Ok so I took the Mad pumpkin out for a ride today; a bit longer than the last trip. Kept the revs up around 5600, shifted around 6500. Didn't have any problems this time but i have noticed a vibration coming from the back end below and above 5600. Belt didn't seem loose, but being new i have no idea how tight that thing is supposed to be. My dirt bike was easy if there was no more than an inch play then it was fine. Other than that it ran fine, I just really kept on the revs and made sure it didn't go below 4500 before I shifted lower if I had to.:popcorn:

NancysToy
02-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Ok so I took the Mad pumpkin out for a ride today; a bit longer than the last trip. Kept the revs up around 5600, shifted around 6500. Didn't have any problems this time but i have noticed a vibration coming from the back end below and above 5600. Belt didn't seem loose, but being new i have no idea how tight that thing is supposed to be. My dirt bike was easy if there was no more than an inch play then it was fine. Other than that it ran fine, I just really kept on the revs and made sure it didn't go below 4500 before I shifted lower if I had to.:popcorn:
Inspect your sprockets very closely. The least little bit of debris built up in the sprocket grooves causes a great vibration. I picked up a stone recently, as you might have. After the awful racket, mine got stuck in the sprocket, resulting in severe vibration. After it was removed, the vibration was less, but still very noticeable. Upon closer inspection, I found bits of tar and dirt barely coating some grooves. After cleaning thoroughly, everything was fine. Also look closer at the belt...a divot can cause vibration. The Spyder does seem to have some resonant vibration around 5,000 rpm, however, so what you feel now may be normal.

The best thing to do with belt tension is to have the dealer set it with his sonic gauge. A Krikit2 from NAPA or Gates can substitute, if you take a reading on a properly tensioned belt for comparison. The old rule of thumb is to grab the belt between your index finger and thumb, midway between the sprockets, and give it a twist. If it twists 90 degrees, with some difficulty, it is close to the right tension. If it twists more, it is too loose, if less, too tight. Spyder belts usually need to be retensioned at the 600 mile service. It is best for a dealer to do this, and it's a good time to compare to a Krikit reading for future reference.

vtspyder
03-05-2013, 07:11 AM
Just a thought; My RS has never had a problem with being bogged. EVER. Although I've spent considerable time tuning with the AFR gauge and JB Pro. I don't bog it often however. It's always smooth as silk. I would put a jack under the bottom rear shock mount on the swingarm, jack it up, start it and put it in gear while idleing. Let the rear wheel spin while watching the belt and sprockets with a flashlight. Have someone juice it to about 3000 rpms while you're watching it. It may well be excessive water in the gas (yes, even Super) if it contains ANY ethanol. A skip would cause it to bang like that. While you're at it check to make sure nothing is loose like front sprocket/wheel alignment/belt tracking/tension etc. I just had a fuel issue with my 660r Raptor with tracks and skis while riding in the mountains a couple of days ago. Might very well be a skipping engine because of questionable fuel. Good luck!

NancysToy
03-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Just a thought; My RS has never had a problem with being bogged. EVER. Although I've spent considerable time tuning with the AFR gauge and JB Pro. I don't bog it often however. It's always smooth as silk. I would put a jack under the bottom rear shock mount on the swingarm, jack it up, start it and put it in gear while idleing. Let the rear wheel spin while watching the belt and sprockets with a flashlight. Have someone juice it to about 3000 rpms while you're watching it. It may well be excessive water in the gas (yes, even Super) if it contains ANY ethanol. A skip would cause it to bang like that. While you're at it check to make sure nothing is loose like front sprocket/wheel alignment/belt tracking/tension etc. I just had a fuel issue with my 660r Raptor with tracks and skis while riding in the mountains a couple of days ago. Might very well be a skipping engine because of questionable fuel. Good luck!

This does not make Miss Nanny happy!

Bob Denman
03-05-2013, 08:22 AM
:agree: You'll freak her out with the different speeds in the front and rear of the bike. :yikes: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_1.gif

MikeinGA
03-05-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm gonna guess at bad gas, condensation in the gas, bad spark plug wires, wet spark plug wires, or too low rpm. Could easily be a combination. Put some Stabil or SeaFoam in it, top off the gas, and ride the thing. Keep the rpm up as much as possible, especially up hills...this ain't no Harley or Goldwing! If the problem persists, see your dealer.

I had the same problems I did the same as above and never went away. I took it to Freedom Motor Sports in Lawreneville, Ga. They found that the map sensor was faulty and replace it. I have over 6,000 miles on it after they changed it and runs like new. Take it to your dealer. That's in IMHO

Mike

SheWolf
03-09-2013, 11:28 PM
Well, so far so good, haven't had it happen again. Dealer figures it was the traction control kicking in; it's going to go in for the 1k checkup/change and have the front bumper replaced. They said they would go over it with a fine toothed comb. They treat me really well at the Kelowna dealership. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Ahhh... So it was an "RW error"... :thumbup:

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. I wicked it up on a piece of wet blacktop, and accidently spun the tire to clean the mud off of it. :shocked: :roflblack:

Right Wrist

vtspyder
03-11-2013, 03:04 PM
This does not make Miss Nanny happy!
Can't hold it sustained. But it will idle forever like that "in gear" rear wheel spinning with no nanny kicking in. I do it when adjusting the belt. And yes, the nanny works! trust me I know. rear tire burned off in less than 6000 miles with no burnouts. Just riding the corners. the old bag "nanny" checks in every time.

Bob Denman
03-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Perhaps the difference in speeds between the stationary fronts, and the spinning rear isn't quite high enough to wake her up? :dontknow:

NancysToy
03-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Can't hold it sustained. But it will idle forever like that "in gear" rear wheel spinning with no nanny kicking in. I do it when adjusting the belt. And yes, the nanny works! trust me I know. rear tire burned off in less than 6000 miles with no burnouts. Just riding the corners. the old bag "nanny" checks in every time.
You can idle there, but if you raise the revs beyond a certain level you will get a VCS warning and some fault codes, and sometimes the traction control kicks in. That is why you need to remove the ABS sensors to put the Spyder on the dyno.

donec
03-12-2013, 04:41 PM
If the sound is from backfiring it could be poping at the exaust gasket and that would make it sound like it was under you and not at the pipe. Years ago ford had a problem with blowing exaust gaskets and it sounded like throwing a rod.

boborgera
03-12-2013, 05:07 PM
You can idle there, but if you raise the revs beyond a certain level you will get a VCS warning and some fault codes, and sometimes the traction control kicks in. That is why you need to remove the ABS sensors to put the Spyder on the dyno.

Or just turn the handle bars i few degrees left or right.!!

SheWolf
04-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Well...Wolfy is back in the shop. He died on me in the middle of the intersection on the highway. *sighs* Soooooo....he was in the shop a few weeks ago for the first service, and I had Nelly go over him with all of the things that I had noticed before the service: he changed the plugs and got it all done up again. I tell you that bike rode totally different. Smile was a mile wide. Then...the backfire slowly returned...and so did the flat spot upon acceleration.:dontknow: Then, this morning while out riding and getting a few things done, there was an audible miss. The tach was bouncing from 1100 to 1550 and back, I thought it was gonna die. I put it into neutral, revved him up a bit and then put him into first to get going. That's when the chattering started. I feathered the gas and it evened out after a bit, but I knew something was direly wrong. I started to head to the Ski Doo dealer, which was about 3 blocks from where I was, because I had this ugly feeling in the pit of my gut. Then, when I was sitting at the intersection to get my ass off the highway, he started to chug like he was only running on one hole. Gave him a light feather to the gas....buh-buh-pop...chatter-chatter-chatter..buh-buh.....and then nothing. Dead. :shocked: F**%$$#@^^&***%%$ Get off and roll him backwards just a tad so I could get a bit of momentum to push him forward, and ran over my foot. :banghead: Got pissed off, jumped back on him and hit the starter. He fired up, but oooooh did he sound sick. I chugged-a buh-buh-pop-fart and JUST managed to get him into the parking lot, where the mechanic was helping unstrap some units. Got him to listen to it and he just stood there with his mouth open, shaking his head. Sooooooo....he's getting trailered and being taken into the bigger dealer tonight and back into the shop he goes to find out WTF is going on. He couldn't figure out off his head what it could be....plugs, maybe coil. *whimpers* Arrrrrgh I hope they find out what is wrong with him...I don't want to be without my scoot for too long. :(

SheWolf
04-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Well, for anyone that's interested...looks like my bike is getting a set of injectors and a throttle body. Thank you BRP warranty.:bowdown:

NancysToy
04-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Unusual problem. I hope you are back on the road soon, and that the rest of your miles will be trouble free.

SheWolf
04-27-2013, 10:37 PM
It was the same problem that I had before; after the service was done it ran awesome....but then....it slowly returned, then got worse. No codes. Nothing. Backfire was shooting three foot flames out the pipe, flat spot returned upon gentle acceleration, and that chatter came back....only this time it started from a dead stop. They unhooked the fuel injection, then hooked up one side and ran it. It ran on one hole, but as soon as they hooked up the second injector it died. Because it was making the same chattering problem but from a dead start, they are bringing in a throttle body as well. I damn near died when they told me the price on that thing!!! :yikes:

SheWolf
05-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Turns out the spark plug boot was cracked and arcing out on the cylinder head. Everything was fine when it was cold but once it warmed up it ran like shyt. So, two new plugs, and two new boots. Picking it up tomorrow!:bowdown::thumbup:

ThreeWheels
05-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Turns out the spark plug boot was cracked and arcing out on the cylinder head. Everything was fine when it was cold but once it warmed up it ran like shyt. So, two new plugs, and two new boots. Picking it up tomorrow!:bowdown::thumbup:

You need to replace the OEM spark plugs/wires with iridium plugs and BajaRon's wires.
The OEM setup is really, really, REALLY bad.

Did I mention that the that the OEM spark plug wires suck rotten eggs ?

Frank G
05-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Thanks for all the updates, hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours. Hope it is fixed.

SheWolf
05-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Yikes....I had no idea they were THAT bad...:shocked: Gotta love outsourcing.:sour: