PDA

View Full Version : Dead Spyder at the Cemetery

Desert Spyder
02-15-2013, 08:34 AM
The other day I was at Riverside National Cemetery for a couple of missions with the Patriot Guard Riders. After the first mission I jumped on the bike, it sputters and goes into Limp Mode. Second try same thing. No error messages. All this while I was trying to show off the bike to a 3 foot enabled person who was interested in getting the bike. I switched the key off and on 3 times, then pulled the key out and held it away from the key slot an arms length, probably an overkill, and tried again. No problem. An embarrassing moment. Bad Spyder, bad. What might have caused this? Later on, still at the cemetery for another mission, this one for the cop that was killed by the ex LA cop, I had left my key in the on position on the bike by accident and of course got a dead battery. When along came a Spyder, literally, we were the only two Spyders there out of 250 bikes, and gave me a jump start after the procession. I came to the conclusion that a cemetery is no where to be with a dead Spyder. Wouldn't it be nice if there were some kind of timer or low battery detector that would automatically turn off the current so you can start it afterwards? Has anybody else had an embarrassing location where the bike wouldn't start?

NancysToy
02-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Time to check your connections, or replace an ailing battery from the sound of things. There should be more reserve than that. Sounds like the battery doesn't hold (or accept) a charge well. Some testing should tell the tale.

Lamonster
02-15-2013, 08:57 AM
I've had enough dead Spyders from sitting that I'm thinking about installing a battery cutoff switch. I'm getting something draining my battery now but haven't had time to test it.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/AWW-500930.jpg

Desert Spyder
02-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Time to check your connections, or replace an ailing battery from the sound of things. There should be more reserve than that. Sounds like the battery doesn't hold (or accept) a charge well. Some testing should tell the tale.

I tend to agree with you Scotty, and like to do that before going to Spyderfest. Nothing more horrible to think about for a tow guy than to look for a silver RT at Spyderfest. The key was on for at least 25 minutes and I have some add on lights to the bike of unknown draw, plus I was towing my 622 which had some extra lights on it. Ironically, before leaving the house, I considered bringing my spare battery/compressor/hazard lighting that I bought at Costco. Great item to buy BTW. Wish I could find a smaller version. Maybe a beeper on the bike to remind you the key is on but the motor isn't running?

Desert Spyder
02-15-2013, 09:06 AM
I've had enough dead Spyders from sitting that I'm thinking about installing a battery cutoff switch. I'm getting something draining my battery now but haven't had time to test it.

These are God sends for RV owners who have dual batteries and an isolator for sure.

Bob Denman
02-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Question: How old is that battery? :shocked:

Oldmanzues
02-15-2013, 09:56 AM
As a matter of fact, no start, yesterday, but in my garage prior to starting out on a Patriot guard Mission. Apparent dead battery. Used the Spyder for a short mission a couple days ago with no problem. I took the cage for the mission. I put in the batery tender last night to see what happens. almost new battery. I had doing some things with the Spyder and do not know if I left the key on or not. Find out later today.
I would love to have a "Dead Man sswitch" on the Spyder.
Oldmanzues

Desert Spyder
02-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Question: How old is that battery? :shocked:

Two years, Bob. Probably due huh? Although some people have had theirs for 4.

Desert Spyder
02-15-2013, 10:01 AM
As a matter of fact, no start, yesterday, but in my garage prior to starting out on a Patriot guard Mission. Apparent dead battery. Used the Spyder for a short mission a couple days ago with no problem. I took the cage for the mission. I put in the batery tender last night to see what happens. almost new battery. I had doing some things with the Spyder and do not know if I left the key on or not. Find out later today.
I would love to have a "Dead Man sswitch" on the Spyder.
Oldmanzues

I carry jumpers with me that I bought after the first dead battery, also at the same cemetery, for the same reason months earlier. Morbid subject, huh?

2 Stricklands
02-15-2013, 10:06 AM
A battery property maintained should last at least 5 years. I just replaced the original battery in my 2002 car and that is 11 years of all kinds of weather and driving. The Sypder battery may not be as durable as that, but I expect my Spyder to go at least 5 to 6 years.

Bob Denman
02-15-2013, 10:12 AM
:shocked: Gee... Two years on a battery doesn't seem like enough life. (That would mean that mine is already on borrowed time! :yikes:)

Chupaca
02-15-2013, 11:38 AM
As mentioned by the ones that know, do some checking. Once charged put a meter on the battery with trailer hooked up turn the key on and see what the pull is. Then put a string around your beck attached to the key and it won't happen again..:roflblack: battery seems too new and unless there is a heavy draw should not die in 25 min's..:thumbup:

bluestratos
02-15-2013, 12:15 PM
There is a battery cut out sold that stops the battery from discarging below a certain voltage leaving enough to start. From what I have experienced with my Rt it takes a lot of power to turn my bike over when cold so I don't know if the lower cut out voltage would be enough although it works in principle. I am waiting for my Shorai 540CCA battery to get here, with almost double the specs of stock and it is estimated life span is 10 years.

jerpinoy
02-15-2013, 12:36 PM
You're not alone, it happens to the best of us. :agree: on some suggestions of our SL members.

Desert Spyder
02-15-2013, 01:11 PM
You're not alone, it happens to the best of us. :agree: on some suggestions of our SL members.
Including the noose around the neck? Lol

Desert Spyder
02-15-2013, 01:13 PM
There is a battery cut out sold that stops the battery from discarging below a certain voltage leaving enough to start. From what I have experienced with my Rt it takes a lot of power to turn my bike over when cold so I don't know if the lower cut out voltage would be enough although it works in principle. I am waiting for my Shorai 540CCA battery to get here, with almost double the specs of stock and it is estimated life span is 10 years.

Ten years??!! That sucker will out live me! Even at the cemetery!
Have to research that battery cutoff.

boborgera
02-15-2013, 01:26 PM

I use the same battery disconnect switch on my Quads, Sometimes they sit for months in my pole barn with no heat or electric for a tender, Put the plastic key back in and they'll start every time, Also [but i don't worry about that] it makes a good anti theft device. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
02-15-2013, 01:32 PM
I was also wondering about battery life at the end of season. This will be season #4 for my 2010 and I am still on the original battery. We will see what happens when I wake up the Black Widow in about 44 days or so.

Cruzr Joe
02-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Sooooo, which one of our vendors is going to make one of these that is easy to install????????:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

Dudley
02-15-2013, 03:43 PM
I tend to agree with you Scotty, and like to do that before going to Spyderfest. Nothing more horrible to think about for a tow guy than to look for a silver RT at Spyderfest. The key was on for at least 25 minutes and I have some add on lights to the bike of unknown draw, plus I was towing my 622 which had some extra lights on it. Ironically, before leaving the house, I considered bringing my spare battery/compressor/hazard lighting that I bought at Costco. Great item to buy BTW. Wish I could find a smaller version. Maybe a beeper on the bike to remind you the key is on but the motor isn't running?

That is the MAIN reason I do not use the kill switch. I did on 2 wheels, but the Spyder is stable enough so I turn the engine off with the key.

StanProff
02-15-2013, 04:10 PM
My RT is a 2010 bought new in the crate in 2011. the only time I've had a problem is when the cable came loose on the battery. I put a slow charge back on it after tightening the battery cable, at the post, and have never had another starting issue. I keep a tender on it all the time and go out and start and run the booger a few miles when the weather allows. I am hoping to get another year or two from the battery. The Spyders could use a more robust battery with all the electronics though. I have a Triumph two wheeler that is very short on battery life.(the tender is mandatory on that one).

bruiser
02-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Have the tender on BB's '10 which we purchased in May 2010. Last month started having problems with starting after sitting in the cold garage for a few days. Battery never died but you could tell by the way it started it was having problems. Her display would also go blank and revert back to the "read safety card" screen after it started. I need to get to the battery and check everything out. For now keeping it on the tender is woking.

Blue Star
02-15-2013, 06:14 PM
Maybe a beeper on the bike to remind you the key is on but the motor isn't running?

I have a beeper on my 2012. Oh wait, that is for when I forget to set the e-brake :yikes:

Yfactor
02-15-2013, 06:17 PM
I was also wondering about battery life at the end of season. This will be season #4 for my 2010 and I am still on the original battery. We will see what happens when I wake up the Black Widow in about 44 days or so.

:agree: Am also on the original battery on both 2010 RS & RT and have never attached the battery tender.

boborgera
02-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Last month started having problems with Her display would also go blank and revert back to the "read safety card" screen after it started. I need to get to the battery and check everything out. For now keeping it on the tender is woking.

Sometimes a slightly lose NEG cable at the battery will react the same way.
When you hit the starter it loses connectivity/shorts for a split second.

Motorcycledave
02-15-2013, 08:16 PM
That is a great Idea... I installed one on you Honda ST1100 because if it sat for a long time
with out being on a tender it would go dead from the draw of the memory in the radio, clock
and media player