PDA

View Full Version : Aerocharger turbo kit

JasonAM
02-15-2013, 05:03 AM
I just need to know if anyone out there has the Aerocharger turbo charger kit on their Spyder. I sure would like to get one, I'm just wondering if its worth the 5k retail price. Plz let me know.

Bob Denman
02-15-2013, 08:21 AM
Talk to Docdoru about them... 62014

SPYD3R
02-15-2013, 08:32 AM
HERE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsbBNIJOxi0
AND HERE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5-NCBea5UY
AND ALOT MORE HERE: http://www.google.com/webhp?rls=ig#hl=en&tbo=d&rls=ig&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=tube%2C+turbo+can+am+spyder&oq=tube%2C+turbo+can+am+spyder&gs_l=hp.3..33i29.248.7974.0.8200.25.24.0.1.1.3.595 .5380.0j6j2j2j4j3.17.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.3.psy-ab.XzEA20ghaB8&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42553238,d.eWU&fp=17efb8a1cdd7c58b&biw=1600&bih=751

warp10
02-15-2013, 09:10 AM
It would be worth it if it improves gas milage. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
02-15-2013, 09:26 AM
:shocked::hun: :crackpipe: :roflblack:

Chupaca
02-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Where do you have to go that fast..106 hp's on a 800 lb+/- bike seen them doing 180 mph+ box stock..turbo just seems like over kill. Get a sticker and tell people you have all that and spend the 5k on traveling...:roflblack: the highways..ryde safe and you will get where your going.

bluestratos
02-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Has anyone put int on a RT yet? I am more interesting in improving acceleraton than I am in top speed but I would mind breaking 100 now and then. I got caught passing a truck when some one turned into the oncoming lane. I gunned it but was disappointed in the acceleration. Obvious I made it but it was due to the other driver moving over.

asp125
02-15-2013, 12:05 PM
$5K?? :yikes: go NOS... cheaper.

.106 hp's on a 800 lb+/- bike seen them doing 180 mph+ box stock.

Doubtful, a liter bike weighing half as much maybe. Or perhaps it was 180kph. I believe Can Am has electronically limited them to about 110mph.

dave01
02-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Where do you have to go that fast..106 hp's on a 800 lb+/- bike seen them doing 180 mph+ box stock..turbo just seems like over kill. Get a sticker and tell people you have all that and spend the 5k on traveling...:roflblack: the highways..ryde safe and you will get where your going.

Why do cars have to go over the speed limit, Why are there big gulps when a regular size will do, its JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN.

dave01
02-15-2013, 12:06 PM
I just need to know if anyone out there has the Aerocharger turbo charger kit on their Spyder. I sure would like to get one, I'm just wondering if its worth the 5k retail price. Plz let me know.

I have ridden Doc's Spyder. Its WORTH the price......................

Bob Denman
02-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Has anyone put int on a RT yet?

The last that I heard anything about blowers on RTs; Aerocharger was looking for somebody to loan them a bike so that they could figure out the packaging up under the Tupperware... :shocked:

ARtraveler
02-15-2013, 01:55 PM
There are opinions on both sides of the fence on this one.

If you look through older threads about turbochargers, there seem to be issues with the turbo interferring with the efi and limp mode stuff on the :spyder2:,s. There are also a few people who have had engines blown. I believe that the jury is out as to whether or not the turbo was the cause.

I am not a fan of the turbo, but I am not a must have speed person either.

aka1004
02-15-2013, 02:26 PM

Why???

Why drive a corvette when a Yugo can get you there too.
Why have a steak instead of some cheap meat.
Why go to fine diner instead of Denny's.

I don't wanna ride at 100 mph but I do wanna get to 65 quickly...
Spyder is not exactly a crotch rocket and was not meant to be one. Just because you don't need it, it's not a good mod or overkill????????? I don't consider highway pegs or high handlebars waste of money because I don't want them...

Every ryder have different needs and wants.

wyliec
02-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Why???

Why drive a corvette when a Yugo can get you there too.
Why have a steak instead of some cheap meat.

I don't wanna ride at 100 mph but I do wanna get to 65 quickly...
Spyder is not exactly a crotch rocket and was not meant to one. Just because you don't need it, it's not a good mod or overkill????????? I don't consider highway pegs or high handlebars waste of money because I don't want them...

Every ryder have different needs and wants.

I agree except for one item; I consider the 0-60 time for a GS/RS pretty good considering that it's in the 4 secs., where most cars aren't.

JasonAM
02-15-2013, 03:03 PM
i'm all more about the acceleration rather than top speed it's about one stop light to the next, especially when you have some "douche" next to you on a harley or some crotch rocket, I have respect for all on the "open road" but when respect is not shown my way just because i'm on a Spyder, then the only way i'm gonna get that respect is by servin' them a healthy dose of road dust!:thumbup:

aka1004
02-15-2013, 03:07 PM
I agree except for one item; I consider the 0-60 time for a GS/RS pretty good considering that it's in the 4 secs., where most cars aren't.

When asked, I just tell them it's fast for car, slow for a motorcycle. :)

dave01
02-15-2013, 03:46 PM

Hey, Whats wrong with Denny's................................LOL

asp125
02-15-2013, 04:14 PM
When asked, I just tell them it's fast for car, slow for a motorcycle. :)

When asked, I tell em it may be slower than your crotch rocket, but it's easy to ride, like your mom. ;) :roflblack:

Bob Denman
02-15-2013, 05:35 PM
:shocked: That one could get your lights punched out if you say it in the wrong company... :shocked:
But I LIKE it!! :thumbup: :roflblack:

napper39
02-15-2013, 05:58 PM
doc hands from okloma also has one on his spyder and also a guy here in kansas city mo has one on his.they havent had any bad things happen to there spyders,but they dont test them out as good as docdu,he can give you real scoop on how they run.:2thumbs:

Smokinspyder
02-15-2013, 07:41 PM
The last that I heard anything about blowers on RTs; Aerocharger was looking for somebody to loan them a bike so that they could figure out the packaging up under the Tupperware... :shocked:

I need to email aerocharger

Dochands
02-15-2013, 09:46 PM
The turbo has been problematic with my SE5. They never really tested them on the semi automatics. Supposedly Aerocharger has junked their controllers in favor of the Power Commander on their new installs.

I pretty much had to go that way with mine. Currently do not have MAP sensors installed but eventually will. Mileage is still significantly less but at least I am not running super rich as I was with the included controller. If you can find a shop that understands all of this then go for it. If you yourself have the technical expertise and time then go for it.

Otherwise I'd just do the Power Commander by itself.

crazyspyder
02-15-2013, 10:56 PM
yeah I want a super -duper charger on mine aswell....just because I can .:trike: I ride like its my last day to ride. cheers all of yuns!:cheers:

Dochands
02-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Hey Crazy. Might be moving to your town. Show me the Hill country. :-)

Spyderific
02-16-2013, 08:17 PM
I think a turbo charger is the next best step. Good power increase with minimal weight added. I don't want or plan on going faster but additional power gained just with a turbo would be better than an increase in the size of the engine. Especially those of us pulling trailers the extra power pulling up hills and into traffic would be a definite plus. I also believe it can be done at a lower cost than a larger engine. Just part of my wish list.

JasonAM
02-16-2013, 08:19 PM
yeah it seemed like the controllers supplied by aerocharger look the same as the ones two bros. racing supplies for their exhaust. I hear that the power commanders have much more to offer. thats probably why they switched because the power commander can handle the power curve of the turbo.

hawkiii
02-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Sooner or later Doc will see this post. He can tell you all there is to know about the turbo. The fun and the possible consequences.

Bob Denman
02-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Maybe one of you RS pilots should pitch a PM at him... :thumbup:

Chupaca
02-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Seems that I ruffled a few feather with my comment on this subject. Seeing as those that responded resorted to comparisons like yugos to vetts ( mostly driven by older gentelmen with flashy chics at the speed limit) steak to cheap meat ( which is probably an affordability issue) and avoiding hitting a truck head on ( which seems to be a judgement call ) then why hit the wall at 65 and kill yourself when you can hit the wall at 30 and survive..?

Love this site just for this reason. It is not onesided and we all can voice our thoughts on any given suject..:thumbup:

aka1004
02-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Seems that I ruffled a few feather with my comment on this subject. Seeing as those that responded resorted to comparisons like yugos to vetts ( mostly driven by older gentelmen with flashy chics at the speed limit) steak to cheap meat ( which is probably an affordability issue) and avoiding hitting a truck head on ( which seems to be a judgement call ) then why hit the wall at 65 and kill yourself when you can hit the wall at 30 and survive..?

Love this site just for this reason. It is not onesided and we all can voice our thoughts on any given suject..:thumbup:

It's all about how you put it.

Your opinion matter as much as others but you flat out said why...
There was a guy here that said why add a free flow muffler, why more fuel with fuel mod, why change to a less restrictive air filter to this fine machine.??? He had moved onto other things now but he thought it was just crazy to do ANY performance mod to a spyder and he was right about this.

We are here because we like our spyder but everyone have different needs and wants and it's common courtesy here to let go of things you don't find attractive or don't need/want.

Getting to 65 quickly, I was referring to common speed limit on freeway around here... And I will try to not to hit a wall... And you shouldn't do so at 30 neither...

Bob Denman
02-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Everybody just likes to set their bikes up to their own personal tastes... 62254
Nobody should ever apologize or feel that an explanation is necessary.62255

dave01
02-18-2013, 11:05 AM
It's all about how you put it.

Your opinion matter as much as others but you flat out said why...
There was a guy here that said why add a free flow muffler, why more fuel with fuel mod, why change to a less restrictive air filter to this fine machine.??? He had moved onto other things now but he thought it was just crazy to do ANY performance mod to a spyder and he was right about this.

We are here because we like our spyder but everyone have different needs and wants and it's common courtesy here to let go of things you don't find attractive or don't need/want.

Getting to 65 quickly, I was referring to common speed limit on freeway around here... And I will try to not to hit a wall... And you shouldn't do so at 30 neither...

Just the reason I have the turbo Busa when I had the Spyder..................When the need for speed showed up, I was ready....LOL

Bob Denman
02-18-2013, 12:05 PM
:agree: Those "Hawks" are just so SLOW the way that Suzui delivered them! :shocked: :roflblack:

dave01
02-18-2013, 03:39 PM
:agree: Those "Hawks" are just so SLOW the way that Suzui delivered them! :shocked: :roflblack:

I agree.........But, I love the MPG I am getting. LOL

docdoru
02-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Sooner or later Doc will see this post. He can tell you all there is to know about the turbo. The fun and the possible consequences.
The Aerocharger is so far the ultimate mod to increase the power on a RS SM5 Spyder, both for the fast arriving at a desire speed (1/4 mile) or maintain-it (141.4 miles/hour top speed, 123.8 miles/hour average in the FIM Bonneville 2012).
I am open to any public discussions about the 186,000 miles RS SM5 before and after the Turbo installation.

Bob Denman
02-19-2013, 08:01 AM
So Doc; how come it took until this thread got into the second page before we saw you? :shocked: :joke:
(Probably out in the shop either lightening or streamlining something Spyderish!)

dave01
02-19-2013, 08:59 AM
So Doc; how come it took until this thread got into the second page before we saw you? :shocked: :joke:
(Probably out in the shop either lightening or streamlining something Spyderish!)

I think he was letting all the armchair professionals hang themselves first, before real-world experience posted.

Bob Denman
02-19-2013, 03:24 PM
I do believe that you are correct! :thumbup: ;)