PDA

View Full Version : twisties

major911
04-08-2008, 05:43 PM
I would like to know if anyone has had the spyder out on some serious twisties. I rode Ceasars Head last year in SC and the switchbacks were so tight that my 2 wheeler was rarely ever upright and I never made it out of 2nd gear. I'm just curious with the turning radius of the spyder, how well it would handle such tight turns and if any one has experienced such a ride on a spyder?

Lamonster
04-08-2008, 06:33 PM
I've been on a few twisties with the Spyder.
http://media.putfile.com/Spyder-on-Tail-of-the-Dragon
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/2/4709220194.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7688667)http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/2/3917433885.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7646910)
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/1/2911254156.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7583835)

major911
04-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Awesome video Lamonte. Looks like you really had to slow down to negotiate some of those curves. Well done though, I salute you.

Thanks

Lamonster
04-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Awesome video Lamonte. Looks like you really had to slow down to negotiate some of those curves. Well done though, I salute you.

Thanks

That was my first run, I've been up there several times on the Spyder now and the Spyder will do all the braking for you if you want it to. Right now I have my front shocks cranked all the way up and I can go through the turns faster if I'm smooth about it. It is a workout though. ;D :spyder:

spyderrider44
04-09-2008, 02:57 AM
:congrats: on the video like you say the more you ride the more you learn and the smoother it gets :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: Im still learning on how to ride the curves, :2excited: :hot: :hot: :a18: loving everyminute of it.

Lamonster
04-09-2008, 05:43 AM
:congrats: on the video like you say the more you ride the more you learn and the smoother it gets :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: Im still learning on how to ride the curves, :2excited: :hot: :hot: :a18: loving everyminute of it.

It's funny how my zero turn mower is so much like the Spyder. When I first got that mower I thought once again I made a big mistake. I was all over the place and I couldn't mow a strait row to save my life. I was out of control most of the time. I just about gave up on the thing but I kept thinking that the pros use that mower so it must just be me. ::)

Well sure enough much like the Spyder I found that I was fighting the thing instead of letting it take control. I have a much lighter touch on it now and the thing is a real pleasure to mow with. Much like the Spyder, it just took some seat time to understand the machine. :doorag:

aubierules
04-09-2008, 07:35 AM
sweet video....how high was the pucker factor?? ;D especially when no cars forever, then boom, cars

Lamonster
04-09-2008, 07:40 AM
sweet video....how high was the pucker factor?? ;D especially when no cars forever, then boom, cars

It was real windy that day and pretty cold so I wasn't pushing it has hard as I do now. If you ride the Dragon very often you know that there can be a surprise on every corner so that wasn't really an issue for me. :doorag:

aubierules
04-09-2008, 07:44 AM
If you ride the Dragon very often you know that there can be a surprise on every corner so that wasn't really an issue for me. :doorag:

i would have had to dig the seat cover out of :edit:
i live in mobile al, and if the elevation changes 10 feet, thats a major hill! ;D

WaltH
04-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Great video!

How fast were you going and how much of the eleven miles did you cover?

Is the remainder just like the part you covered?

Were you braking on the curves, or did you do it with down shifting alone?

I am looking forward to September.

Lamonster
04-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Great video!

How fast were you going and how much of the eleven miles did you cover?

Is the remainder just like the part you covered?

Were you braking on the curves, or did you do it with down shifting alone?

I am looking forward to September.

I think from the lookout to the store is about 9 miles if I remember right and I don't remember how fast but I would say on the low side was around 20mph and on the high side was around 55mph.

Yes the whole road is pretty much like that. On the other side of the store is 28 and that's a much better road.

Not too much braking, the Spyder was doing a lot of braking for me. ;D :spyder:

http://www.dealsgap.com/images/dgMapL.jpg

Danimal
04-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Lamonster - you mention a couple of times " the Spyder will do all the braking for you if you want it to."

Do you mean that in the tight curves the VSS kicked in for you? Or are you just talking about downshifting?

Lamonster
04-10-2008, 06:34 AM
Lamonster - you mention a couple of times " the Spyder will do all the braking for you if you want it to."

Do you mean that in the tight curves the VSS kicked in for you? Or are you just talking about downshifting?

No it will shut the motor down and the next thing it will do is hit the brakes for you. It will about put you through the windshield if you're not holding on good. :spyder:

Danimal
04-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Wow---- Maybe my reactions are just faster than the computer on the Spyder...... ;D

So do you have to have a wheel come off the ground for that to happen?

Lamonster
04-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Wow---- Maybe my reactions are just faster than the computer on the Spyder...... ;D

So do you have to have a wheel come off the ground for that to happen?

Sometimes but not most of the time. The Spyder will pulse the brake as you go into the turn and pretty much shut it down till it feels it's safe to let it go. It's a pain in the butt but I can see why they do it like that. If you driffed into and out of the turn and you let up it would pitch you off the Spyder like a lawn dart. ;D

BlackWidow
04-10-2008, 10:52 AM
..........it would pitch off the Spyder like a lawn dart. ;D

ROFLMAO......Now thats a visual that will keep me going all day.

Thanks, I needed that.
;D

trikester
04-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Great! Thanks Lamont, for the video. I've been wondering how the Spyder would do on a road like that. We have a lot of those out here in CA. I noticed the two wheeler passed you, but he wasn't pulling away very fast, so you were close to his speed. You caught up to the car, so you were a little faster than him.

On my Yamaha conversion trikes, with a narrower front track, I usually lean forward and into the turns with my upper body. Especially since I'm the stability control system!

I pick up my Spyder today and a Kendon folding utility trailer to bring it home on (easier than getting someone to drop me off at the dealer). I needed the trailer anyway for my other toys.

I could have had the Spyder several days ago but I had to wait for a third loading ramp from Kendon. They only come with two; imagine that!

Now I'll have three trikes in my stable - all with two wheels in front!

Frank

hevnbound
04-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Sometimes but not most of the time. The Spyder will pulse the brake as you go into the turn and pretty much shut it down till it feels it's safe to let it go. It's a pain in the butt but I can see why they do it like that. If you driffed into and out of the turn and you let up it would pitch you off the Spyder like a lawn dart. ;D

Hey Lamont ... You've got me confused!? On the other board, I started talking about the need for a front hand brake to use when riding hard in the twisties. A member of both boards posted the above information in response to a post I made about hitting the curves hard on the Spyder. He made the statement that a person doesn't have to worry about taking a curve too fast on the Spyder because it will automatically prevent you from doing so. I assumed he was talking about when one of the wheels comes up off the road. I don't quite understand what you are talking about?

I can go into a curve as fast and hard as I want to as long as I lean into the curve, get my body off of the seat, lean forward and keep the throttle on! I've never had the VSS kick in UNTIL one of the wheels start to come up. Then and only then has the Spyder reacted by retarding the engine. I have no problem getting a wheel up if I don't alter my position to compensate for the centrifigual force.

Exactly what are your referring to when you say; The Spyder will pulse the brake as you go into the turn and pretty much shut it down till it feels it's safe to let it go. Once again, I've never had the Spyder "pulse the brake" as I went into a turn - - unless - - I go into the curve too fast and one of the wheels start to lift up?!

Lamonster
04-11-2008, 02:46 PM
I mean what I said, it will pulse the brake as I go into the turn. Most of the time the wheel is not lifting when this happens. I have followed Ron through the twisties and his won't do it as much as mine I think because he's lighter than I am. After watching him going through the same turn at about the same speed I got to think it was the extra 30 lbs I'm carrying that makes the differance. That's why I have my shocks cranked all the way up now and that seems to help a bunch along with just trying to go through the turn smoother.

I have no idea how hard you ride but when you make it out this way I'll show you what I'm talking about. :doorag:

Danimal
04-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Like I said hevn.... I was just telling you what he was saying.

I have not personally had this happen.... I can barely get the VSS to get in with a wheel up.

I think we just might have varying opinions about what 'fast and hard' is....... ;D

My guess is that Lamonster is pushing it much harder than either you or I have or would.

I rode dirt bikes for years and that is my main riding background - so my perspective might be different than yours :doorag:

hevnbound
04-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Like I said hevn.... I was just telling you what he was saying.

I have not personally had this happen.... I can barely get the VSS to get in with a wheel up.

I think we just might have varying opinions about what 'fast and hard' is....... ;D

My guess is that Lamonster is pushing it much harder than either you or I have or would.

I rode dirt bikes for years and that is my main riding background - so my perspective might be different than yours :doorag:

;D I wasn't ratting on you, Danimal !! Didn't even mention your name! I'm just wanting to be sure we all understand exactly what the Spyder can and can't do. Lamont has graciously agreed to help me install my front peg brackets and I hope to head up that way soon. I will look forward to riding some of the great roads in his area and we will do a physical test of the systems - which is always the best "proof in the pudding"!! 8)

Although I am sure the Lamonster can handle a two-wheeler (and now a three-wheeler) I have been known to hang out in front of the pack myself. You are so right about perspectives differeing. It tickles me to see some of the squid wannabees at Deals Gap with the hot bikes and dressed like a Moto GP racer barely making it around a curve because they are going so slow!! On the other hand, I've seen some ratty dressed guys on a Gold Wing outrunning most all of the sportbikes up there!! There use to be a guy called Yellow Wolf that hung around the Gap video taping people for a fee - he could outrun almost everyone up there!!

Here are the definitions from BRP's web site of the various systems that make up the VSS of the Spyder. Notice that nothing happens until the Spyder experiences some type of loss of traction. Until that happens, the systems do not cut in. If you can execute the curve without any of this happening you will not experience the pulsing, etc. associated with the VSS. I can tell you from experience that this is true. I think my weight (305) actually helps me in this situation as I move as far up toward the front as I can while leaning on the pedal as hard as I can.

The Y-architecture enables the Can-Am Spyder Roadster to host an innovative stability system. Developed in conjunction with Bosch, the VSS reduces the risk of losing control. It immediately detects any loss of traction and quickly takes steps to correct it. Integrated in VSS are the functions of Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Traction Control System (TCS) and Stability Control System (SCS).

Stability Control System (SCS). Assists in maintaining control in emergency avoidance maneuvers. SCS continuously analyzes motion and forces as they relate to the vehicle's stability, and will intervene to assist the rider in keeping the Can-Am Spyder Roadster under control. The SCS compares the rider's intended direction via the handlebar and determines the vehicle's appropriate response, via lateral acceleration, rotation (yaw) and individual wheel speed sensors. The system then individually brakes the wheels and/or reduces excess engine torque, until control is regained.

Traction Control System (TCS). Optimizes rear wheel traction to help keep the vehicle on its intended trajectory. To prevent excessive rear wheel spin when the rider accelerates, the rear wheel speed sensor continuously transmits the rear wheel speed to the TCS control unit. Every time the wheel shows a tendency to spin excessively, with its grip breaking loose from the road surface, the TCS reduces the engine torque for a moment, by regulating engine ignition and fuel injection. This allows the rear wheel to remain within the limit of the grip between the tire and road surface. This enables the Can-Am Spyder Roadster to accelerate with minimal corrective control input from the rider.

Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). Helps maintain steering control while braking. To help prevent the loss of steering control, sensors monitor the rotation of all three wheels, enabling the ABS control unit to detect any variation in wheel rotation. If any of the wheels are at risk of locking, the ABS briefly reduces brake pressure on it, preventing wheel lock from occurring. This intervention is repeated in rapid succession and can be performed independently on each wheel. This ensures that all wheels maintain uniform rotational speed. So, wheels remain available for steering control force in response to the rider's input.

Danimal
04-12-2008, 12:56 PM
"I wasn't ratting on you, Danimal !! Didn't even mention your name! "

No worries......I don't post anything that I won't take credit for - or wouldn't post directly to the person I'm referring to... so no problem at all. :bigthumbsup:

I think taking the Spyder on rydes like 'Deals Gap' will just show us all how much of a real performance machine this thing is!

Let us know how it goes!