PDA

View Full Version : Using XM/Sirius radio

ValleyRider
02-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Has anyone been able to connect a satellite radio such as XM radio to a Spyder using the AUX? I am not keen on purchasing the BRP system.

Spyder lady 66
02-13-2013, 06:19 PM
I am working on that very thing right now, but my 12V plug isn't working. I think the XM will work thru the aux if I can get my 12V working.

Has anyone been able to connect a satellite radio such as XM radio to a Spyder using the AUX? I am not keen on purchasing the BRP system.

MarkLawson
02-13-2013, 07:25 PM
It'll work just fine. I use the AUX with my Garmin Zumo 550 with XM. No problem. I mounted the GPS at the center of the handlebars, XM antenna on the clutch fluid reservoir and ran a audio cable to a female 1/8" jack I mounted in the rear trunk near the AUX jack. Used the patch cord BRP supplied, but added a 90 degree elbow (shrink wrapped) so the cord doesn't stick out into the trunk to get banged around by the trunk contents.

Good luck!

Wiredux
02-13-2013, 10:28 PM
I was thinking about getting the XM from BRP. Any particular reason except for the price tag you would not go that route?

Phil
02-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Depending on your data plan, get the XM app for your smart phone. I have it on my iPhone. In my case, I Bluetooth the entire phone (XM, iHeart, Pandora, txt, email, phone, and TomTom GPS) directly to my helmet bypassing the RT.

MarkLawson
02-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Depending on your data plan, get the XM app for your smart phone. I have it on my iPhone. In my case, I Bluetooth the entire phone (XM, iHeart, Pandora, txt, email, phone, and TomTom GPS) directly to my helmet bypassing the RT.

I'd like to do that too, but I still use the CB as my main communication between bikes when traveling with my brothers. There's this company in Tyler, Texas that specializes in connecting various communications resources together. Wish I could remember the owner's name...

ValleyRider
02-15-2013, 03:47 PM
I was thinking about getting the XM from BRP. Any particular reason except for the price tag you would not go that route?
The only reason was the cost. I think $500.00 is steep.

harddrive
02-15-2013, 04:20 PM
I do the same as Phil...except I have a Road Tech 660 (Zumo 660 branded for Harley). Works great as long as you have cell phone service. If I go into an area that my cell phone does not work, I switch it to the music on my iphone.

Just make sure you watch your data usage if you are on a shared plan, but if you have an unlimited plan, you should be good. I kept my old unlimited data plan that is no longer an option on AT&T.

BuddaBelly
02-15-2013, 04:59 PM
I purchased the $31.00 cable that goes into ipod or mp3. Plugged it into my xm that I mounted in the trunk and plug into the lighter outlet. Works like a champ. Go to Aux and there is you satellite radio.

Wiredux
03-11-2013, 10:54 PM
I purchased the $31.00 cable that goes into ipod or mp3. Plugged it into my xm that I mounted in the trunk and plug into the lighter outlet. Works like a champ. Go to Aux and there is you satellite radio.

Where and how did you mount the antenna?

FmfTxs
03-12-2013, 01:35 AM

Currently using the Garmin 665 with xm radio and weather radar works like a champ. Have the xm/GPS antena mounted on the RT rear trunk lid.

Robertsepolen
03-12-2013, 05:36 AM
If you do not need a new Garmin try the snap XM radio at RadioShack $50. The self-contained unit plugs into a 12v outlet and you're good to go.

Robertsepolen
03-12-2013, 05:42 AM
For a few pics of my snap xm search this site for "cheap xm radio".

Cuban Spyder
03-12-2013, 05:55 AM
I put our XM radio in the trunk. I used the 12v power outlet there and am using the FM modulator in the XM radio to send signal to the FM radio on the Spyder on FM 97.9. The antenna is mounted on the top flat surface of the trunk lid. I didn't drill a hole for the antenna wire, I just carefully closed the lid over it.:p

Wiredux
03-12-2013, 09:55 AM
For a few pics of my snap xm search this site for "cheap xm radio".

I picked one this morning from WM and will work on getting it set up when the rain stops.

rcdurango
04-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Ok got the Sirius radio and hooked it up in the trunk. Here is the question I have, with it be plugged into the 12v in the trunk, power is always live and will drain the bat. Do I have to unplug the radio every time I stop? Or is there any other way to work this where it powers off when key is turned off? Hope I'm writing this so you can understand what I'm asking.

Phil
04-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Ok got the Sirius radio and hooked it up in the trunk. Here is the question I have, with it be plugged into the 12v in the trunk, power is always live and will drain the bat. Do I have to unplug the radio every time I stop? Or is there any other way to work this where it powers off when key is turned off? Hope I'm writing this so you can understand what I'm asking.

Does the radio come with a remote? Does that remote allow it to be turned off? If so, yes it will drain the battery, but likely very low drain, just enough for the receiver for the remote.

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD

rcdurango
04-14-2013, 10:22 PM
I bought an inexpensive sirius radio with no remote. Installed in trunk so I could hook into the Aux. plug. Set ant. on the lid and powered it by plugging to 12v. With the key on it plays good and sounds good threw the Spyder radio. With key off kills the sound but radio stays on and continues to pull power off the bat. Was hoping that Aux. would power radio and work like the Ipod. Just wondering if anyone else did this and what type of fix was out there. Or do you unplug radio when not in use. Another downside to this is not being able to change the stations. But this is a cheap mod. so not probably going to get all the thrills.:(

shroth
04-15-2013, 05:23 AM

On my Rt Limited, I put the radio in the truck & use the 12V outlet & the Aux input jack. The antenna attaches to the top of the trunk lid but sitting on a large fender washer that I attached with a small amount of clear silicone. Hope that helps.

rc51ny
04-15-2013, 05:24 AM
It'll work just fine. I use the AUX with my Garmin Zumo 550 with XM. No problem. I mounted the GPS at the center of the handlebars, XM antenna on the clutch fluid reservoir and ran a audio cable to a female 1/8" jack I mounted in the rear trunk near the AUX jack. Used the patch cord BRP supplied, but added a 90 degree elbow (shrink wrapped) so the cord doesn't stick out into the trunk to get banged around by the trunk contents.

Good luck!

I pretty much did the same thing--minus the GPS. I power the Sirius off the 12v plug in the trunk. YOu just have to remember to unplug it when you shut down--no big deal. Works great for the times that I don't use the iPod.

pickelhead
04-15-2013, 06:19 AM

I've got the XM from BRP and works great.

rcdurango
04-15-2013, 07:13 AM

The power port in the trunk is always hot.
You can use the wire going to the heated grips as a trigger for a relay so that the power to the Sirius is key-ON and key-OFF

interesting...that's all I need is a power source off the key side.:agree: