PDA

View Full Version : Kuryakyn Hitch Rack

JJRider
02-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Searched and searched but could not locate any forum posts on this particular hitch rack. I know others have discussed using a rack platform or hitch carrier on the back of their Spyder via the hitch ball, but I would like to know if any others have used this unit. Our plan would be to use this platform or carrier for fairly light items so that we keep the weight of the items and cargo below the 40 lbs that BRP recommends. I am trying to avoid towing a trailer but need the extra space for camping gear. Anyone else use the Kuryakyn Hitch Rack on their Spyder?

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/338/Trailer-Hitch-Rack

Chupaca
02-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Check post" what mods have you customized..." under spyderjim2012 who has a similar carry all that he modified from his Harley.. Looks like it will work well..:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-12-2013, 10:33 PM
"mastertek2000", a Spyderlover here did a nice one ......You should PM him about it ......Mike :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
02-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Just remember that the hitch goes through the axle so you won't have any benefit of shock absorbers with this setup. Don't pack the family china in it!

JJRider
02-13-2013, 12:29 AM
Thank you for the replies. I did lots of searches and couldn't pull up SpyderJim2012's post. Checked and he has no pictures on his profile either. I will keep checking and see if I can find the post. Also, I recall reading about using the BRP hitch and having it off the swingarm vs. frame mounted. Still not sure if I will work a Bushtec hitch on our 11 RS or go down and pickup a 13 RT.

SPYD1
02-13-2013, 06:06 AM
Spyderdan has an picture album with a similar one added to a RT. I believe the tongue wt shouldn't exceed 40 lbs.

CyncySpyder
02-13-2013, 06:42 AM
That doesn't look like a bad rack, and it shows to only be weighing in at six and a half pounds which seems really lite for a quality product like it seems to be. Just be cautious, cause that only leaves you with 32.5 pounds left for your 'stuff', and weight adds up quickly. A fully loaded cooler by itself can weigh in excess of sixty pounds. Seeing as the Spyders hitch is SwingArm mounted, I've found thru personal experience, much over that 40 pounds and your in for a rough ryde cause it causes a 'bobblehead' effect on the rear of the byke, causing control issues. Also, there's no suspension for the hitch, so whatever you put on it is going to take the full effect of every bump in the road. Not saying it can't or shouldn't be done, just wanting you to be 'aware' of what your getting into. Good luck & have fun & most of all, ENJOY the RYDE:thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-13-2013, 07:51 AM
:agree: The weight that you lay down on that hitch might be an issue... :shocked:

NorthStar
02-13-2013, 09:35 AM
I have a Rivco Hitch Rack that is for all intensive purposes the same design and functionality as the Kuryakn unit you are asking about. My rack has been in service off and on for the past decade on a RS Venture, GL1800 and Can Am Spyder RT. It is ideal for transporting up to 40 lbs or so of cargo and simply slips off and on the hitch adapter in seconds.

For safety sake it is important to pay attention to the load limits of both the rack and the tongue weight on your hitch. They publish the load limits on these racks for a reason.

You will also want to wrap your cargo in a waterproof membrane if you are riding in the rain. There is a significant amount of tire spray deposited on the rack due to its positioning on your hitch.

I have nothing but positive comments about the versatility of a hitch rack, when a trailer is just too much. As long as you are not transporting fragile items the rack is a good option for those who need just a little bit more storage capacity on their Spyders.

Oldmanzues
02-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Thank you for the replies. I did lots of searches and couldn't pull up SpyderJim2012's post. Checked and he has no pictures on his profile either. I will keep checking and see if I can find the post. Also, I recall reading about using the BRP hitch and having it off the swingarm vs. frame mounted. Still not sure if I will work a Bushtec hitch on our 11 RS or go down and pickup a 13 RT.

Very personal opinion. If you can afford it, a RT is ten times better for riding double, among other things. A Diamond R rack on a RT would add light weight, bulk storage. Again, very personal opinion
Oldmanzues

NancysToy
02-13-2013, 09:59 AM
SpydherLuv (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?6619-SpydherLuv) has a Pakit Rak (https://www.pakitrak.com/index.php) on her RT. They don't show it on their Website, but they will fabricate one for a Spyder hitch. PM her for more details.

krzychick
02-13-2013, 10:28 AM
made in the USA RIVCO PRODUCTS.COM we also have a 11"x17" or a 18"x30", they both attach safely to your trailor hitch, check us out, thanks krzychick.:ohyea:

krzychick
02-13-2013, 10:39 AM
=NorthStar;573485]I have a Rivco Hitch Rack that is for all intensive purposes the same design and functionality as the Kuryakn unit you are asking about. My rack has been in service off and on for the past decade on a RS Venture, GL1800 and Can Am Spyder RT. It is ideal for transporting up to 40 lbs or so of cargo and simply slips off and on the hitch adapter in seconds.

For safety sake it is important to pay attention to the load limits of both the rack and the tongue weight on your hitch. They publish the load limits on these racks for a reason.

You will also want to wrap your cargo in a waterproof membrane if you are riding in the rain. There is a significant amount of tire spray deposited on the rack due to its positioning on your hitch.

I have nothing but positive comments about the versatility of a hitch rack, when a trailer is just too much. As long as you are not transporting fragile items the rack is a good option for those who need just a little bit more storage capacity on their Spyders.[/QUOTE]

krzychick
02-13-2013, 10:48 AM
The Rivco rack is GREAT and Sturdy but NOT recommended for a Spyder hitch, being it has no spring, the rack could very easily break, so PLEASE do not use the Rivco rack with the SPYDER hitch, if you would like to call and talk to the designer of the rack Rich would explain in detail as to why, thank you KRZYCHICK 888-801-8222.:lecturef_smilie::sour: OFCOURSE RIVCO PRODUCTS does have many other GREAT SPYDER products and in the process of designing quite a few more, I will keep ALL of you great sypder lovers posted, thank you again KRZYCHICK:)

Chupaca
02-13-2013, 11:28 AM
If you go to forums..RT shop talk..bottom page one you will see photos for "spyderjim2012" it may move to page two as more posts enter the page. :thumbup:

bmwlarry
02-13-2013, 12:20 PM
This is what I use.

redlightron
02-13-2013, 05:39 PM
I use the same as BMWLarry and it works great;)

MTFan
02-13-2013, 07:27 PM
I use the Pakit Rak same as BMWLarry. Easy to install and remove. I leave the mounting bracket on all the time.

JJRider
02-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Totally awesome! Thank you for all the great info. Much more then I expected!

I am working a deal on a new leftover RT and I think one of these items will be the ticket. Appreciate everyone's help!

leenanj
02-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Kuryakyn 7643 Trailer Hitch Rack

This rack works very well with the Spyder for those times
when taking the trailer is just over kill.

For less than $130.00 dollars from Amazon.

I had to drill two new holes in the rack because of the Spyder hitch design.
I am also thinking of making it so the rack can be flipped up out of the
way when not in use.

spyderjim2012
02-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Yes mine is a rivco , super strong and light , i can put ,tent , air mattress ,2 chairs and a cooler, had a shop build the mount for 20.00 out of 1/4 plate steel drilled a hole for the ball so i can use the trailer at times, plus when u get some were you can pull 2 pins out and leave the rack at camp.

JJRider
02-18-2013, 04:05 PM
I think for a start, I will go with the rack and hold off on a trailer. Thanks for all the great info.

I purchased a new 2011 RT (leftover) this weekend. They are having an issue with a engine code so they have offered to deliver the Spyder to me.

Thanks again!

RedRTS
12-15-2016, 11:35 PM
I use the Pakit Rak same as BMWLarry. Easy to install and remove. I leave the mounting bracket on all the time.

Y'all with the pakitrak for the spyder.... is that the bracket that is made by pakitrak or did yall fabricate your own? they all look pretty much the same... but I like how y'alls mounts....

Any problems with the unit? I have the rack and all left over from a GoldWing... so looking at giving it a go... Does the fact of it being on the swingarm create any issues?

Thanks!

Bfromla
12-16-2016, 01:43 AM
I believe the tongue wt shouldn't exceed 40 lbs.

Just remember that the hitch goes through the axle so you won't have any benefit of shock absorbers with this setup. Don't pack the family china in it!
:agree::firstplace: & there are few hitch racks available from our vendors that are made for spyders :coffee:Namely the spyderrack from a former vendor :pbut still a member:firstplace:

http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/roadster

https://youtu.be/WlI6MUv8MvI