PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Shifting My RT SM5 Into Gear

Tin Man
02-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Started my 2012 RT SM5 yesterday and had a lot of trouble shifting. I could not get it to go into reverse or neutral. I had shut the engine off to get it back into neutral but as soon as i start it up it wont shift. I tried this a few times with the same result, wont shift unless i turn the bike off. The check engine light came on after about 4 attempts. I pressed the mode, set and blinker buttons simultaneously to see if there were any codes but nothing comes up on the screen. Anyone else ever experience this issue?

Lamonster
02-08-2013, 10:41 AM
How's your oil level?

Tin Man
02-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Oil level is good...

Lamonster
02-08-2013, 10:53 AM
I just reread this and see that it is a SM not a SE. I'll have to think about that one. :popcorn:

Lamonster
02-08-2013, 10:58 AM
It's pretty much got to be in the clutch plates, sounds like they may be warped. The only way to know for sure is to tear it down.

Tin Man
02-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Just tried to start it and it was a little sluggish starting. Can a low voltage from the battery cause this? I don't have a battery tender on it.

mcaccamise
02-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Im guessing from your post you do infact have a manual shift with clutch and maybe your clutch resivure is low on fluid not enough to disengage the clutches,check to see if you have a leak or you have clutch disegagement.
Mike

duneside
02-08-2013, 12:00 PM
:dontknow::popcorn:

NancysToy
02-08-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm guessing that your slave cylinder has failed. This is a recurring problem that is being investigated. You will have to replace the slave piston & O-rings, and the slave bushing (cylinder) and O-rings. Cost of parts is about $80 if it is out of warranty. You will recognize the problem by discolored clutch fluid, due the the aluminum that is sluffed off the slave cylinder as it wears, and the deterioration of the O-rings. Be sure to thouroughly flush the clutch system when you do the work. If the clutch fluid is clear, the first place I would look is warped clutch plates, as Lamont said. There is a newly revised clutch pack available, with steel plates and 5 plates/discs. Be sure they order the one for the SM...the SE clutch kit is different. Time to see your dealer.

jerpinoy
02-08-2013, 01:17 PM
How many miles you have? Let us know the repair entails. Sorry to hear this happen to you.

ARtraveler
02-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Please keep us posted and let us know what you find out.

Tin Man
02-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Ok, I charged the battery up and checked the oil level again, it was just below half way which is still within operating range. I topped off the oil. and started her up. Started much easier and no check engine, went into gear no problem. Cant take it for a test ride because of the Blizzard we are having, but maybe by Sunday. I left a message with the dealer to look at it to make sure. Still under warranty. Thanks for everyone's help. The Best people make the Best Forum. SPYDERLOVERS:clap:

Tin Man
02-08-2013, 07:51 PM
I forgot to mention, I also installed Ron's Sway Bar today. Can't wait to try that out. Thanks Again

IGETAROUND
02-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Ok, I charged the battery up and checked the oil level again, it was just below half way which is still within operating range. I topped off the oil. and started her up. Started much easier and no check engine, went into gear no problem. Cant take it for a test ride because of the Blizzard we are having, but maybe by Sunday. I left a message with the dealer to look at it to make sure. Still under warranty. Thanks for everyone's help. The Best people make the Best Forum. SPYDERLOVERS:clap:

Glad to hear that it was something simple and easily fixed. :clap::clap:

Navy Warrant
02-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Started my 2012 RT SM5 yesterday and had a lot of trouble shifting. I could not get it to go into reverse or neutral. I had shut the engine off to get it back into neutral but as soon as i start it up it wont shift. I tried this a few times with the same result, wont shift unless i turn the bike off. The check engine light came on after about 4 attempts. I pressed the mode, set and blinker buttons simultaneously to see if there were any codes but nothing comes up on the screen. Anyone else ever experience this issue?

BRP now retroactively provides road side assistance for 2012 and newer Spyders. Call them if you have any more problems. They should pay to get it to your dealer.