PDA

View Full Version : Older Motorcyclists More Likely To Be Severely Injured In Crashes

Knarfoh
02-08-2013, 04:28 AM
More good news for aging bikers....

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/256059.php

bertmc
02-08-2013, 05:22 AM
I guess there's nothing too surprising in all those stats. At least we're less likely to just fall over. Now, if we had seat belts we wouldn't fall off, either!

Ga Blue Knight
02-08-2013, 05:54 AM
Also life expectancy after a crash is much less for old folks after a crash than for teenagers!

Captain Fin
02-08-2013, 06:16 AM
I think that those of us over 60 made a wise decision in the purchase of the Spyder instead of two wheels.

Bob Denman
02-08-2013, 07:32 AM
Another thread in another forum...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?48534-I-d-Like-To-Know-What-You-think-About-This

R30SHIRE
02-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Sad that our news media has to suggest that older folks are more likely to receive injuries due to a motorcycle accident. Isn't that just common sense....... OMG It's raining here today, so the news media is saying there could be more accidents due to the rain on the roadway. NO SHI****:banghead:

Bob Denman
02-08-2013, 08:08 AM
:agree: Money wasted... :gaah:

budro
02-08-2013, 08:17 AM
:yikes: Now us old guys can go out in "a blaze of glory" knowing we do something better than the young guys. Even if it does hurt.------Budro

Bob Denman
02-08-2013, 08:20 AM
I think that I might rather be shot in the back of the head by a jealous husband :shocked:... When I'm about 90! :roflblack:

wyliec
02-08-2013, 10:11 AM
I think that I might rather be shot in the back of the head by a jealous husband :shocked:... When I'm about 90! :roflblack:

I think that I might rather be able to jump out the window (and land softly) before being shot by a jealous husband, when I'm 90.:doorag:

otter28169
02-08-2013, 10:28 AM
I think that I might rather be able to jump out the window (and land softly) before being shot by a jealous husband, when I'm 90.:doorag:

I went through a second story window when I was 10:yikes:, I think I'd take the bullet.

But seriously, everybody knows there are several reasons older riders get hurt worse. In no particular order:
1) Fragile bones
2) slowed reaction times
3) Decreased muscle mass
4) Usually sober
5) can afford the "fast toys"
6) More experience usually leads to higher speeds
7) and a general feeling that if you are gonna go, it is better to do it out there than sitting inside and waiting for it to happen.

The fact that so many of these"older riders" are still on the road is a testament to their love of the ride/ryde. It is a generation that does not need virtual reality, video games, and facebook to validate their existence. These are men who decide that the game on sunday can be recorded and watched later (though it rarely ends up getting watched) because the weather is marginal but good enough to ride/ryde. These are women who would rather see the sun set from the road than in a magazine. These are people who actually LIVE their lives. I can only hope that when I get to be 60+ years old I still have the same love of our lifestyle that they do.

SPYD1
02-08-2013, 10:58 AM
These same stats could be used for a wide variety of actions from riding a bicycle, jumping off a two foot porch, dancing to using the throne...

Bill Las Vegas
02-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Sure!!! If you take a tumble and break something--it will take a very long time to heal. I have to admit that is the main reason I don't ride my BMW F650 much. And that's why I'm getting a Spyder or possibly a side car rig.

Bob Denman
02-08-2013, 11:37 AM
I went through a second story window when I was 10:yikes:, I think I'd take the bullet.

But seriously, everybody knows there are several reasons older riders get hurt worse. In no particular order:
1) Fragile bones
2) slowed reaction times
3) Decreased muscle mass
4) Usually sober
5) can afford the "fast toys"
6) More experience usually leads to higher speeds
7) and a general feeling that if you are gonna go, it is better to do it out there than sitting inside and waiting for it to happen.

The fact that so many of these"older riders" are still on the road is a testament to their love of the ride/ryde. It is a generation that does not need virtual reality, video games, and facebook to validate their existence. These are men who decide that the game on sunday can be recorded and watched later (though it rarely ends up getting watched) because the weather is marginal but good enough to ride/ryde. These are women who would rather see the sun set from the road than in a magazine. These are people who actually LIVE their lives. I can only hope that when I get to be 60+ years old I still have the same love of our lifestyle that they do.

In short; we accept the risks that go along with all of this! :2thumbs: :yes:

:ohyea:

wyliec
02-08-2013, 11:45 AM
1) Fragile bones
2) slowed reaction times
3) Decreased muscle mass

If you sit around and do nothing about it, you're correct.

The statement should read:

But seriously, everybody knows there are several reasons many older riders get hurt worse. In no particular order:

otter28169
02-08-2013, 12:28 PM
If you sit around and do nothing about it, you're correct.

The statement should read:

But seriously, everybody knows there are several reasons many older riders get hurt worse. In no particular order:

You have a valid point. My father had a major snowmobile accident at 59 years of age and was paralyzed from the neck down for about an hour. When they did all the radiographs and MRI's they noted that he still had excellent bone density. I meant to say that any number of these factors could add insult to injury, not that that they were always a factor. My apologies. Oh, and one more thing: My father was riding again the following winter, and I have now convinced him he needs a spyder :ohyea::ohyea::ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:

Bob Denman
02-08-2013, 12:36 PM
So have you already taken him shopping for one? :thumbup:

jerpinoy
02-08-2013, 12:59 PM
:agree:Lets just have fun. :cus: less, :( less, help others,:pray:more and more. God Bless us all. Ride safe.

otter28169
02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
So have you already taken him shopping for one? :thumbup:

We discuss the topic every time we get together. He is hooked, has been since I got mine because it is all I talk about anymore. I went to see a friend the first time I rode my spyder, my father followed me (as I only had a permit). The first thing Jeff said to my father when he saw it was "When are you getting yours Craig?".
He desperately wants an RS, but I think he will buy an ST when he sits on it. I can't wait:2excited:I like to ride sleds with dad, but I think we could have more fun on spyders. Hopefully it will motivate my wife to learn to dryve one too. She already told me that she doesn't mind being a snowmobile widow, but she refuses to be a spyder widow.

ARtraveler
02-08-2013, 02:10 PM
As mentioned by some of the posters above--my feelings are similar.

I don't want to get hurt when driving my :spyder2:, but I am not going to let the thought of that hinder me from riding until I no longer can. Rydeing is one of the things that I can do these days that gives me something to look forward to.

I do practice ATGATT (all the gear, all the time) as well as very defensive driving.

If the worse were to happen though, I want everyone to know that I would die happy and was doing something that I loved when it happened.

Bob Denman
02-08-2013, 02:20 PM
We discuss the topic every time we get together. He is hooked, has been since I got mine because it is all I talk about anymore.
Hopefully it will motivate my wife to learn to dryve one too. She already told me that she doesn't mind being a snowmobile widow, but she refuses to be a spyder widow.

:2thumbs: But be careful about teaching your best-half about them; that expense makes farkling up a bike seem easy! :yikes: :roflblack:
:joke: