PDA

View Full Version : Glo Ryders on RS-S

JasonAM
02-07-2013, 09:29 PM
I've been wanting to get a set of the glo ryders for my spyder but when I check them out online they seem to only cater to the rs and rt models. Basically only for aluminum alloy colored rims. Of course the rs-s models come with black rims. Does anyone out there have them installed on black rims? How do they look? I sure would hate to buy a set them have to end up painting them to match. It should be a finish that should be offered by glo ryder. Hopefully maybe they can do a custom order and paint them black for me.

thatk9guy
02-07-2013, 11:42 PM
I have them on my RS-S also. I had them with the factory color for the last 8 months, but took a chance and had them painted black to match the rims a week ago, they look great. Will post a pic tomorrow. Ensure that your painter, covers the glass so it won't affect the sensor.:D

JasonAM
02-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the info. When i'm ready to order I will call Glo Ryder directly to see if they can coat them in black... I highly doubt it though, but worth a shot. I'm just trying to dodge the bullet (so to speak) and not have to do any painting. For small jobs i usually do my own painting.

thatk9guy
02-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Trying to load a picture but getting the message file too big, will try again.

Bob Denman
02-09-2013, 12:06 PM
You should contact them to check on black... I think that their site shows some designs on a black cap.

thatk9guy
02-10-2013, 10:37 PM
61766 I tried to shrink the pic, I hope this gives a better picture of what they look like painted.

JasonAM
02-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Nice pic! Yeah I gave them a call, said they are not offered in black. But they can ship the unit with the lens uninstalled so that way I can easily have the housing painted or powder coated. The lens is held in with some kind of adhesive/caulk. So shouldnt be a prob.

thatk9guy
02-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Yes that is true about the caulk. The painter that did mine, told me it was a challenge, he had to boil it in water to get the glass loose, painted the covers and then glued them back together. I am thankful for his work.

Derek Paisley
02-12-2013, 12:23 AM

I used matte black paint as they look GrEAT!! :-)

JasonAM
02-12-2013, 01:21 AM
Awesome pic Derek! Looks just like my Spyder. I just love the green. Good job with the glo ryders

thatk9guy
02-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Derek great job on the paint job, will need to take a pic with the lights on to see if i get the enchanced look that you have. Thanks for sharing.

Max

Green RSS
02-13-2013, 10:20 AM
I have two sets of the Remote control glo-ryders on order. Hopefully, I'll get them by the end of February. I'll post pics once they are installed. :thumbup:

I have a RSS, so I'll probably paint the top piece black to match my rims also.

Can't wait!!

Dochands
02-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Got mine today. Have not replaced my original ones yet but been playing with them on the coffee table. Very cool changing colors. Did not understand that the controller would mimic the Gloryder color - awesome feature.

Think a timer in lieu of the photocell would be a nice feature. That way you could set how long they stay on. Like 1, 2, 4, and 8 hours.

mcaccamise
02-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Seems like they could accomodate us RSS owners with a Black series so we wouldent have to paint them right out of the box?

Dochands
02-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Installed. Works great. Decent purple color.

spydaman60
02-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Seems like they could accomodate us RSS owners with a Black series so we wouldent have to paint them right out of the box?I pm'ed them last year about the rss and they didn't seem too enthusiastic about doing one in gloss black or flat black. guess the market is limited and they are shooting at the bigger picture! too bad!:dontknow:i'd sure like a set of them, but not willing to go the extra mile myself.

Bob Denman
02-16-2013, 02:54 PM
I think that there's a thread down in the vendor's area where they ask if anybody is interested in a black anodized version...

spydaman60
02-16-2013, 05:06 PM
I think that there's a thread down in the vendor's area where they ask if anybody is interested in a black anodized version...that is right bob. I remember answering to it and telling them i'd buy the first black one available, but it never happened,

Bob Denman
02-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Go bug them some more about it! :thumbup:
Or even better... They'll be at SpyderFest! ;)

spydaman60
02-17-2013, 08:05 AM
was planning on being at spyderfest, but life dealt the wife a little bump in the road. once we get past this---- lookout! sure wished they'd consider making a black powder coated option. they don't have to have all the different covers available that way, but one would be great!:thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Well then I'd give them a call if I were you...
Sorry to hear about the bump in the road; I hope that the situation is improving! :thumbup:

JasonAM
02-22-2013, 01:14 AM
Well I gave Glo Ryder a call and asked them bout the black housing and he just made it seem like that there isn't a high demand for black coated units. I say we all unite and start bombarding them with phone calls and emails asking for black housings. It'll just might change their mind about the kind of demand there is for black units.

spyderbait
02-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Well I gave Glo Ryder a call and asked them bout the black housing and he just made it seem like that there isn't a high demand for black coated units. I say we all unite and start bombarding them with phone calls and emails asking for black housings. It'll just might change their mind about the kind of demand there is for black units.
I'm on it calling right now! :banghead:

Spidergirl
03-23-2013, 05:39 PM
My hubby put my glo riders on a couple of weeks ago. I got mine in purple. They look so cool. I got the spyder centres.:dg2:

spydaman60
03-23-2013, 05:49 PM
I'm on it calling right now! :banghead: I've e-mailed and called, and I keep getting the same response! guess the rss doesn't :cus: rate! OOPS!

GloRyder
03-23-2013, 10:25 PM
I've e-mailed and called, and I keep getting the same response! guess the rss doesn't :cus: rate! OOPS!

Now hang on partner :chill:, we just posted over in the vendors forum that we are going to begin rolling out powder coated caps. Thats the thing I am just not sure if the vendors forum gets too many looks, but yes we heard you. Here is what we wrote

"You win!

We are going to begin offering powder coating for your orders starting with our Spider design caps. Now is the time, tell your friends, if you have ever wanted to order let us know!"

So far we only had 2 responses but if anyone wants to get on board we will start firing up the oven! :cheers:

burg650
03-23-2013, 11:32 PM
I've e-mailed and called, and I keep getting the same response! guess the rss doesn't :cus: rate! OOPS!

Just got a set of the new remote ones and I was planning on switching them out tonight when I de-winterize my spyder but got lazy, I will bring them down tomorrow to show you all.

KynardKnight6
04-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Just ordered mine. Need a little assistance. How do i remove the center cap? Looked at my tools and see the tool.

GloRyder
04-22-2013, 05:45 PM
[ As your rep was informed,we out here with the black rims are many. So will you coat everything or just the caps,
like we received?? if so,:mad: would like to return ours for the whole monty. We also would love to see a vid on center
cap being remove, without damage to our wheels. Thanks

First to answer your question, we will be offering powder coating on the caps only. The housings cannot be powder coated as the clear plastic inside will melt.

The good news is I am looking at a set of 3 new black powder coated caps on my desk :) It has taken us a little time to get the finish we want to be consistent before offering the product publicly. We are primarily a billet manufacturer not a paint shop but we are acknowledging a shift in the tide now that more of you have the black wheels.

We could use your help in making a decision on what caps and styles the majority of you want these in so please lets get as many of you as possible to help us make the right choices.

Which Logo, and finish do you want? Lets start with the finish. Here are 3 finishes below with our SPIDER logo. Which finish will best match your wheels, Flat, Satin, or Gloss?
Next which Logo would you want? The SPIDER is a given, so which other logo? RT or RS or both? (We don't plan on doing an RS-S unless there is a HUGE demand for it, or someone wants to do a custom order.)

We will bring some of these to SpyderFest so Let us know!

GloRyder
04-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Where to start!! We have blk rims,gloryder only paints the cap (one of ours not very well). The base with lights and windows are
still chrome.They wont paint that part because he said powder coating is done in an oven. Anyway several nicks later, still no luck with center cap removal. Gloryder suggest putting screw in center and pulling cap out.or removing wheel (which is a little work). Also placed the unit on removed alloy wheels,
we replaced,They dont just drop in, you will need a mallet.Did not try in case we decide to return units.Hope this helps someone. If you get the caps
out please post how.:gaah:

Not to derail this thread. but just a word on this, we have had customers say that we sent different size ring lock diameters because one lock fit on one wheel (dropped right in) and he had to take a mallet to the other. Just on a hunch we asked him to try the one that fit in the wheel and sure enough it did not fit the other wheel. So...what we found out is the hole size on the Spyder wheel varies slightly. It may not make a difference with a plastic cap but certainly will with our inflexible aluminum locks. This may be why your caps do not slip out as others owners have. The customer decided instead of sending them back to take a piece of 80 grit sandpaper and turn them by hand until he wore a little off the rings and they slipped right in. Not that we would be unwilling if he sent them back but just to save time as the aluminum sands down fairly easy and he had more control as he could go back and forth between the wheel to test the fit. We would need a precise measurement if we were to mill them again.

spydaman60
04-22-2013, 07:07 PM
i'm in there for a set of the black gloss or satin spyders.:thumbup: when they are ready pm me, or just let us know and we'll place the order!!!nojoke thanks for listening and answering our need!!!:bowdown::bowdown: you have a great product and we just wanted it.

GloRyder
04-23-2013, 06:19 AM
i'm in there for a set of the black gloss or satin spyders.:thumbup: when they are ready pm me, or just let us know and we'll place the order!!!nojoke thanks for listening and answering our need!!!:bowdown::bowdown: you have a great product and we just wanted it.

Not a problem at all to hear people wanting to make the product fit their needs, glad to do it! I think we will go with an equal number of gloss and satin in the Spider design. We are running these starting today so if you want them we are ready for you. Please comment on designs as well so we know what numbers to run.