PDA

View Full Version : Keeping cool

YPILOT
02-07-2013, 03:49 AM
Last week I was on a nice Sunday ride when I noticed my temp gage was at max and then limp mode!
I just happened to be close to an Advance auto parts store. I popped the trunk and looked at coolant tank
and it was empty so I bought a gallon of 50/50 coolant and a funnel and proceded to add 1/2 gallon to system.
I made it back home and put it away for a few days till I had a chance to explore the situation.
Yesterday I pulled the tupperware on the right side and started it up and found the leak. The plastic connector
(part # 709200151) where the radiator hoses meet just above the thermostat housing was spraying coolant
from the back side right onto the cylinder head. I called my dealer and he ordered the part for me, $14.49.
It should be here next week, so now I will have to get a tool to remove and replace the Oetiker clamps.

Tierhog
02-07-2013, 04:45 AM
Hear about this occasionally, how many miles on your spyder?

CyncySpyder
02-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Im dealing with a similar issue on Teds Red Sled which is an 2011 RT-S & DocRiverSide was kind enough to share the following info with me about removing the Otiker (sp?) clamps without special tools. Tried it & it worked very well, no issues for us. Hope this helps & good luck.

revjvegas
02-07-2013, 06:38 AM
Just fyi...

I've had this one bookmarked for a while; I know I'll need it someday too.

http://www.amazon.com/Oetiker-18500056-Service-standard-pincers/dp/B0037QFNJW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=WC2BJXTH23JV&coliid=I2CH3626MI5O9L

Took me a while to search one out, so just thought I'd post it up in case you might like to check it out.

NancysToy
02-07-2013, 07:57 AM
You cannot replace the same Oetiker clamps. They can be cut off with diagonal pliers (side-cutters), Oetiker crimping pliers, or even twisted off with a screwdriver. New ones have to be crimped into place with Oetiker pliers or a similar tool like tile nippers unless you substitute worm clamps.

kinggeek
02-07-2013, 08:57 AM
I don't have a lot of confidence in Oetiker clamps neither does my dealer. Too many leaks best to replace them IMHO.

NancysToy
02-07-2013, 12:31 PM
I don't have a lot of confidence in Oetiker clamps neither does my dealer. Too many leaks best to replace them IMHO.
There are two good reasons for a manufacturer to use Oetiker clamps. First and foremost, they are easy to install on the assembly line...even by robots. Second, some types provide a 360 degree, uniform pressure seal, something worm claps cannot achieve. They are very dependent on being exactly the right size, though...each size has a very limited range. Many replacement failures can be traced to using the wrong size or type of Oetiker clamp. Proper crimping is also essential. It is difficult to achieve without the right pliers (or robot). Clamps crimped with pliers or side-cutters often fail.

jerpinoy
02-07-2013, 12:46 PM
I would use worm type clamps and are available on most auto and hardware stores. This no brainer;)nojoke

JJW SpyderRider
02-07-2013, 02:01 PM
I have used 1000's of these clamps. The main reason is they seal better all the way around the tube than worm clamps. Worm clamp tend to bunch the hose up right under the screw assembly.

If you crimp the clamp using the plier type tool make sure that you do not crimp the tab until the insides of the tab are touching :lecturef_smilie: If the inside of the tab is touching the clamp is too tight and will not provide the spring action to expand and contract as the tube heats and cools.

YPILOT
02-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Hear about this occasionally, how many miles on your spyder?

My spyder just turned 57,000. I really can't complain about the service that it has given us to date. I think it still has a few more miles on it and it still provides plenty of smiles per mile. I did replace the clamps on my fuel filter with fuel injection clamps after I found it pouring gas from both ends lasr year. If I could find that same type of clamp for this job I might switch them to, if not I will get a new kit.

YPILOT
02-08-2013, 08:18 PM
There are two good reasons for a manufacturer to use Oetiker clamps. First and foremost, they are easy to install on the assembly line...even by robots. Second, some types provide a 360 degree, uniform pressure seal, something worm claps cannot achieve. They are very dependent on being exactly the right size, though...each size has a very limited range. Many replacement failures can be traced to using the wrong size or type of Oetiker clamp. Proper crimping is also essential. It is difficult to achieve without the right pliers (or robot). Clamps crimped with pliers or side-cutters often fail.

Scotty, Do you have a list of the specific sizes of Oetiker clamps used on the '08 GS Spyders?
I looked up the part numbers but they didn't reveal the actual sizes. Thanks Dennis

NancysToy
02-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Scotty, Do you have a list of the specific sizes of Oetiker clamps used on the '08 GS Spyders?
I looked up the part numbers but they didn't reveal the actual sizes. Thanks Dennis
Sorry, I don't have the sizes. You could measure the hoses. I have an assortment, and just match up to whatever I need. Did you look at the parts descriptions for other years? Sometimes the descriptions are different.

Chupaca
02-08-2013, 10:23 PM
You cannot replace the same Oetiker clamps. They can be cut off with diagonal pliers (side-cutters), Oetiker crimping pliers, or even twisted off with a screwdriver. New ones have to be crimped into place with Oetiker pliers or a similar tool like tile nippers unless you substitute worm clamps.

:agree: Man knows his stuff....:thumbup:

zrc
02-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Good luck bro, good seeing you this weekend... I think I am going to attempt to seal my coolant tank to prevent my issue, now that I have looked it up my cracked coolant "tank" is the only part that is "not available" in the parts listing. Quite frustrating.

NancysToy
02-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Good luck bro, good seeing you this weekend... I think I am going to attempt to seal my coolant tank to prevent my issue, now that I have looked it up my cracked coolant "tank" is the only part that is "not available" in the parts listing. Quite frustrating.
Contact a dealer to get a number for the supeceding part. There is a replacement. Not sure if it requires any additional parts to make the swap.