PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Recall?

SpyderBuzz
02-06-2013, 05:00 PM
So I called my dealer today for pickup status on my new 2013 ST-S and he said it is just about ready to go, but.... A "Safety Campaign" has been issued by BRP on 2013 models and he is waiting for details to be issued. Until he knows the bike can't leave the shop. :sour: He commented that the last one was for a gas cap issue on the 2012's. Anybody know any details?

the wait continues I guess....

DrewNJ
02-06-2013, 05:18 PM
I'm going to guess and say alignment.....but that's just a guess..

jerpinoy
02-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Gas cap issue is been out. Don't know the rest. I'm sure someone who know will post.

bluestratos
02-07-2013, 12:54 PM
I would go with Drew, the alignment is being checked on the 13's

SpyderBuzz
02-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Just got the update, that there is no update... The regional BRP rep thinks that could be an alignment issue... I'll let you know what I hear. But I am bummed, don't get me wrong, don't want to take ownership with a known safety defect, but so close to being on the road! nojoke

cpdblegl
02-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Going to be watching my '13 RT Ltd uncrated and assembled tomorrow... please keep us updated on what you are hearing SpyderBuzz... It's all happening SO fast! ... but I like it!:2excited:

Chupaca
02-08-2013, 12:10 AM
All we have heard so far about them that are out there is the stability issue. Some say caused by the alignment but could be something else. I should tell you the story of the GSXR's top end noise issue back a few years ago and the Suzuki's solution....but that's a two wheeler story...:thumbup:

MMMII
02-08-2013, 01:13 AM
:popcorn: Watching this one closely. Doing my 600 mile on Saturday will be sure to inquire. :popcorn:

twain
02-08-2013, 03:48 AM
Doing my 600 mile tomorrow on my ST. Spoke with dealer yesterday and my Spyder is on the list for recall. BRP sent them a PDF with instruction how to correct alignment issues. Call for a six foot metal pole, c clamps laser sight, etc. dealer was going to get all the items before my bike arrives on Saturday morning. Hope they can solve this alignment issue because sucks having 25,000 vehicle sitting in garage and afraid to drive it. Will see tomorrow morning. :banghead:

flamingobabe
02-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Twain and others...good luck on the fix...I'll keep an eye on this post....mine is not here ...yet

capt.jim
02-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Doing my 600 mile tomorrow on my ST. Spoke with dealer yesterday and my Spyder is on the list for recall. BRP sent them a PDF with instruction how to correct alignment issues. Call for a six foot metal pole, c clamps laser sight, etc. dealer was going to get all the items before my bike arrives on Saturday morning. Hope they can solve this alignment issue because sucks having 25,000 vehicle sitting in garage and afraid to drive it. Will see tomorrow morning. :banghead:
I feel your pain.

ARtraveler
02-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Please keep us informed. :popcorn::popcorn:

Spydered
02-10-2013, 03:51 PM
My dealer informed me they have started checking alignment on all 2013. That was good news for me to hear.

daveinva
02-10-2013, 04:24 PM
While it is REALLY lame that something this serious made it out the door on the new models, seriously, look on the bright side-- BRP appears to have caught the issue and is doing something about it super-fast (super-fast, relative for BRP).

Folks who had to suffer for months if not years with DPS and throttle body issues are surely jealous. :joke:

twain
02-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Took ST in yesterday and alignment was definitely out of whack. Dealer used c clamps, six foot steel rod, level and laser to realign front tires. Also reset parameters on computer. Ride home was windy so hard to tell how much better ride was. Next day off is Thursday and is suppose to be nice weather. Will ride and update. Just glad BRP admitted to issue and attempting to correct. Dealer, Mancuso Gulf freeway was great. Had 3 techs working on bike while other customers waited. Took bike in at 0900 and left at 1130 with alignment done as well as 600 mile service. Hats off to these guys. Will continue to bring bike there for service.

MBRIDGER
02-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Just picked up my ST-S today after 600 mile service and alignment check. Dropped it off at 9:30am picked it up at 5:00pm and the cost was $204.00 with oil and filter. They adjusted the alignment and let me know there will be more updates coming and that BRP is well aware of some spyders with alignment issues. Also checked the parameters as someone else stated. I will tell you that after this the difference is subtle but very major in the handling. I know that's a total oxymoron but if you are dealing with it you will know what I mean. I ride a 2011 HD Screaming Eagle road glide ultra and I love this thing! One note is that I asked to adjust the front shocks to 4 and they said the new shocks can not be adjusted....let me know if this BS

JKMSPYDER
02-13-2013, 08:30 AM
​They are correct. No adjustment on front or rear shocks on the ST's.

weapon
02-13-2013, 08:32 AM
"I asked to adjust the front shocks to 4 and they said the new shocks can not be adjusted....let me know if this BS"

Not BS
There is no adjustment on the front shocks for 2013 :banghead::banghead:

wildtexasrangr
02-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Called my dealer here in East Tx. about this so called recall. Gave them my VIN # and nothing NO
recall or anything out that they know about or heard about. Since I'm taking the ST:spyder2: limited in for my 600 mile buds hook up. Id let them handle what ever they needed to do,but
nada......

NancysToy
02-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Called my dealer here in East Tx. about this so called recall. Gave them my VIN # and nothing NO
recall or anything out that they know about or heard about. Since I'm taking the ST:spyder2: limited in for my 600 mile buds hook up. Id let them handle what ever they needed to do,but
nada......
I think the problem is one of terminology. There are several ways a problem can be addressed. The most drastic is for the company to issue a recall. This is done through government channels, and is usually used to address a serious safety issue. The manufacturer can also issue some sort of technical service bulletin, or TSB. BRP does this in various formats, depending on the issue. They have Warranty Campaigns, Technical Service Bulletins, and a few other variations. They all accomplish the same purpose, to notify dealers of possible issues, and to prescribe the measures needed to correct those issues. These issues may not apply to all machines or to all machines in a certain VIN range. The TSB's also specify the warranty coverage particulars and the parts and labor needed. Finally, a company can issue simple notifications to the dealers in the form of written notification or via an electronic means. BRP uses their WebBoss system for this, and may also provide further information on their dealer Knowledge Base. In the case of 2013 alignment issues, BRP seems to have gone the notification route. It is up to the dealer to make himself aware of such notices, and take the necessary corrective actions, if any. He cannot enter the VIN# and get an answer unless a TSB or dealer-corrected formal recall has been issued. Some TSBs are not even linked to the VIN, so it is up to the dealer to be aware of them if a covered problem arises.

kubie
02-17-2013, 04:54 PM
I had this problem on my 2013 STS. and its not fun and in my case Not safe. but my dealership fixt it, and man what a diffrence. If you think your ST steers funny wanders or wants to follow cracks in the road, take it in and get it fixed I did and man am I happy with the ride now