PDA

View Full Version : MY FIRST RIDE

grumpybob
02-06-2013, 11:50 AM

Just for a grin or two. I happened to come across this pic. of me at 4 yrs. old giving my 4 month old sister her first pony ride. Hope you get a laugh/smile out of it.

otter28169
02-06-2013, 12:04 PM
If I did a shot like that with my kids today, I would probably be turned in for child endangerment. It is a shame most people will never get to do something like that. Nice picture.:D

Bob Denman
02-06-2013, 12:13 PM
So; were you in the driver's seat, or just along for the ride in this photo? :thumbup:

CyncySpyder
02-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Thanks for sharing the pic, sure brought back some fond (& to be honest, not so fond) memories for me.

Like when I was about 5, went to the rear of my dads horse and pulled his tail (hey, I was a dumb kid) still have the scar on my upper lip from that one:lecturef_smilie:

Then, when I was around 12, dad bought me my first (& only) pony that had a blaze of white right between his eyes just about like the one in your picture, so I named him Blaze. I'll never forget how excited I was to have my very own pony, as you can imagine most kids would be :clap:

Dad didn't have the pasture fence complete & figured the small pony would be fine overnight with a collar and leashed him to one of the trees out in the pasture. I couldn't sleep much at all that night from all of my happiness & excitement, and woke up at the crack of dawn and ran out to the pasture to see my new pride & joy.

I can't ever recall having such mixed emotions throughout my entire life, when I came upon what was left of my new pony, after a pack of wild dogs or coyotes had him for dinner that night. Recon that scarred me for life, as I've only ridden once since & that's been over 30 years ago. Still fond memories of that pony, even if it was only for 1 day:)

otter28169
02-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Never did like coyotes, coy-dogs and the likes. I have a friend I sell their pelts to for 25.00 each. Started shooting them when they were attacking calves on the farm I was working at. A well placed 22-250 round and I have earned some "farkel" money.

Bob Denman
02-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Keep piling them up!! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
02-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Very nice picture. Thank you for sharing it with us. :thumbup:

Chupaca
02-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks for sharing... Brings back better times...although then you stomped on spiders..:clap:

grumpybob
02-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Thanks for sharing the pic, sure brought back some fond (& to be honest, not so fond) memories for me.

Like when I was about 5, went to the rear of my dads horse and pulled his tail (hey, I was a dumb kid) still have the scar on my upper lip from that one:lecturef_smilie:

Then, when I was around 12, dad bought me my first (& only) pony that had a blaze of white right between his eyes just about like the one in your picture, so I named him Blaze. I'll never forget how excited I was to have my very own pony, as you can imagine most kids would be :clap:

Dad didn't have the pasture fence complete & figured the small pony would be fine overnight with a collar and leashed him to one of the trees out in the pasture. I couldn't sleep much at all that night from all of my happiness & excitement, and woke up at the crack of dawn and ran out to the pasture to see my new pride & joy.

I can't ever recall having such mixed emotions throughout my entire life, when I came upon what was left of my new pony, after a pack of wild dogs or coyotes had him for dinner that night. Recon that scarred me for life, as I've only ridden once since & that's been over 30 years ago. Still fond memories of that pony, even if it was only for 1 day:)

Sorry to hear about your ordeal!! Don't forget things like that. I had to stand and watch my dog when he went thru the ice on the pond and could not get get to him.

I'm the driver, 1951, I was 4 yrs. Sister is 4 mon. A guy used to bring a couple of ponies to the neighborhood. I started riding them at 3 yrs. old. Quite riding horses 4 yrs. ago this month.

Not a fan of coyotes myself. Hunt them on occasion.

jerpinoy
02-06-2013, 05:24 PM
:ohyea::agree:Those were the days.

bruiser
02-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Bob, when we lived in the projects in Baltimore there was a guy that did the same thing. He would bring a pony and sometimes a donkey for kids to ride on and have pictures taken. I think it was about 50cents a ride. That was a treat back then since 50cents was a big deal. I think I remember mom saying dad brought home $35.00 a week back then. Thanks for the memories.