PDA

View Full Version : Do's and Do Nots for passengers

MMMII
02-04-2013, 10:32 PM
After 20 pages of search results for 'Passenger' I have found a couple of tid bits about riding with a passenger. With the active and knowledgable user base of spyderlovers.com I imagine there is more info out there on this subject.

I've ordered the backrest for my ST-S as my wife wants to join me on some future rides. She's never ridden as a passenger and I have never rode two-up.

Here is the plan: A few laps around the neighborhood for both of us to get used to the dynamics before heading out on short jaunts.

Here is what I've found in my search:

Passenger should lean with the rider/pilot/driver(?)
Passenger should use the handles and not the driver (other than the occasional kidney punch as noted in the search results)
Passenger should be actively scouting road conditions
Passenger should not turn around or make sudden movements

What other advice do you have? I want to ensure that my wife (and I) are prepared and have an enjoyable time.

AlamoRyder
02-04-2013, 10:53 PM
After 20 pages of search results for 'Passenger' I have found a couple of tid bits about riding with a passenger. With the active and knowledgable user base of spyderlovers.com I imagine there is more info out there on this subject.

I've ordered the backrest for my ST-S as my wife wants to join me on some future rides. She's never ridden as a passenger and I have never rode two-up.

Here is the plan: A few laps around the neighborhood for both of us to get used to the dynamics before heading out on short jaunts.

Passenger should use the handles and not the driver (other than the occasional kidney punch as noted in the search results)

What other advice do you have? I want to ensure that my wife (and I) are prepared and have an enjoyable time.

Don’t make driving look too easy.... that is the first step to her wanting her own
:spyder2: and then you are going to have an infestation in the garage.
I should have seen that coming! But that opens the door to even more fun together.
Good luck on the road...

Cruzr Joe
02-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Tell your passenger to relax and let you do any "leaning", that way You control the bike.

Cruzr Joe

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker

Chupaca
02-05-2013, 01:39 AM
Get an intercom so you can tell her to let up on the death grip...:roflblack: But really great beats rapping on your helmet and pointing at "something".

MouthPiece
02-05-2013, 06:32 AM
Armrests for passenger. She'll love you.

Chris

Bob Denman
02-05-2013, 07:39 AM
Sparks,
Question:
Just how long, is a "fur"? :shocked:

Bob Denman
02-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Ooh! :shocked: I've got some advice for passengers:
When you see something really cool along the roadside, please give instructions that include a direction for the rider.
"Look at that over there", doesn't really help much! ;)

Bob Denman
02-05-2013, 08:00 AM
Sparks,
My Spyder's got a belt; not a chain... :shocked:
Can that be converted to Fahrenheit?

Oldmanzues
02-05-2013, 08:00 AM
1 furlong=40 rods=10 chains.
I thought everybody knew that.

:joke:
I did. I also understand "mets" and " bounds"
Really.... Oldmanzues

Bob Denman
02-05-2013, 08:03 AM
I'm just a Bowhunter; I speak "yards..." http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_160.gif

pickelhead
02-05-2013, 08:17 AM
The passenger is the official "waver"

Sent from somewhere on the road.

steve635
02-05-2013, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't fret a whole lot, riding the Spyder with passenger is minimally different from solo riding (at least as far as piloting). The differences you mentioned are far more pronounced on a 2-wheeler than on the Spyder.

juliantrost
02-05-2013, 08:55 AM
I wouldn't fret a whole lot, riding the Spyder with passenger is minimally different from solo riding (at least as far as piloting). The differences you mentioned are far more pronounced on a 2-wheeler than on the Spyder.

100% agree with you! Other than occasional "can we catch up to that car, I think I know those girls", I sometimes forget my son is on the back.

arntufun
02-05-2013, 09:47 AM
It is much more difficult to be a passenger on a RS/ST Spyder than it is on two wheels. The passenger definitely need to pay attention to the road and hold on because the Spyder naturally wants to eject the passenger when going around corners. If I didn't not have a backrest for the Spyder Holly would never get on the back of it with me. She says it's the worst bike for her we ever owned because she can't relax and look at the scenery because she has to pay attention and hold on tight during cornering.

She said when she rode on the back of the RT it locks you in and it is a much more enjoyable ride and less fatiguing.

SPYD1
02-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Feet on pegs not on muffler!

Bob Denman
02-05-2013, 09:56 AM
I thought you said that the rules for her included, "No chewing tobacco". :joke:

otter28169
02-05-2013, 09:56 AM
I totally disagree for any RS or ST.

It is much more difficult to be a passenger on a RS/ST Spyder than it is on two wheels. The passenger definitely need to pay attention to the road and hold on because the Spyder natually wants to eject the passenger when going around corners. If I didn't not have a backrest for the Spyder Holly would never get on the back of it with me. She says it's the worst bike for her we ever owned because she can't relax and look at the scenery because she has to pay attention and hold on tight during cornering.

She said when she rode on the back of the RT it locks you in and it is a much more enjoyable ride and less fatiguing.

:agree: With the RS-S, unless you manually adjust the shocks before the trip, the feel of the bike will be radically different. Stopping and slowing distances increase, and the spyder takes on a "top-heavy" feel in the twisties. I do have to admit though, that I am 272lbs and the shock is set for me. My wife is a sight bit smaller, but even a small change can make a big difference on a machine like the spyder RS .

ottawa-rider
02-05-2013, 10:07 AM
The passenger shall NOT criticize the driver's driving style!

DynamoBT
02-05-2013, 10:08 AM
I don't know what the shock setting is like on the ST or tire pressures. I know that two up on my RS I have the '11 RT shocks set on 5 and tire pressure at 18-20 front and 28-30 rear. This makes a big difference in handling. Before the shock upgrade, I felt the Spyder kind of lagged in turns. Now the steering is crisp and responsive. I have my husband lean with me in the turns. That makes a big difference. We to date, do not have intercom. Communication is a bit of a pain. But, the quiet is nice too!!!

asp125
02-05-2013, 10:45 AM
A punch in the kidneys is NOT the preferred signal for slow down!

arntufun
02-05-2013, 10:49 AM
A punch in the kidneys is NOT the preferred signal for slow down!

My passenger would not agree with you......... :roflblack:

pitbull
02-05-2013, 10:57 AM
My passenger would not agree with you......... :roflblack:

Agreed! Randy...... But it sometimes works!!! Dang it!!:roflblack:

SpyderAnn01
02-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Agreed! Randy...... But it sometimes works!!! Dang it!!:roflblack:

Len, I imagine that most of your passengers have given you a punch in the kidneys to slow down. :roflblack:

jerpinoy
02-05-2013, 12:13 PM

*****Tickling not an option

Bob Denman
02-05-2013, 12:21 PM
The passenger shall NOT criticize the driver's driving style!

:shocked: You're joking; right?? :roflblack: if The Missus couldn't do that, I think that she'd swell up and burst! :yikes: :roflblack:

bmwlarry
02-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Passenger should always look over "inside" shoulder of driver when turning! Puts the passenger in the right place fro the turn.

Jharpo
02-05-2013, 01:19 PM
When riding as a passenger on an RS, keep both feet firmly on the pegs. The pegs are those skinny bars that stick out on both sides, not that squarish thing on the left side.That's the parking brake.

Spydeejane
02-05-2013, 01:24 PM
If you don't have a helmet with the intercom system, a slap or other communication on the back of the helmet can convey a variety of messages.

Aggressive helmet slap: quit worrying about waving and pay attention to the road
Pull down on the helmet: slow down
Insistent quiet tapping: I have to stop.
Rapid tapping: flea market, garage sale, etc. Go back.

Each couple will develop their own communication system. However, when we have our intercom helmets on, my husband complains of fewer headaches from driving.

flaggerphil
02-05-2013, 01:34 PM
It is much more difficult to be a passenger on a RS/ST Spyder than it is on two wheels. The passenger definitely need to pay attention to the road and hold on because the Spyder naturally wants to eject the passenger when going around corners. If I didn't not have a backrest for the Spyder Holly would never get on the back of it with me. She says it's the worst bike for her we ever owned because she can't relax and look at the scenery because she has to pay attention and hold on tight during cornering.

My wife says she'd much rather be a passenger on the RT than on a two-wheeler. Says she can just sit back and relax and not have to worry about what the bike's doing.

FWIW, the "guides" the OP posted are more for a two-wheeler than a Spyder (at least an RT). All the passengers I've had feel extremely secure and relaxed on the back of the RT.

JJW SpyderRider
02-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Passenger should always look over "inside" shoulder of driver when turning! Puts the passenger in the right place fro the turn.

:agree:

Add: Passenger should not elbow driver when turning 90 degrees to take a photo :lecturef_smilie: I'm still bruised from the fall color ride.

arntufun
02-05-2013, 02:01 PM
My wife says she'd much rather be a passenger on the RT than on a two-wheeler. Says she can just sit back and relax and not have to worry about what the bike's doing.

FWIW, the "guides" the OP posted are more for a two-wheeler than a Spyder (at least an RT). All the passengers I've had feel extremely secure and relaxed on the back of the RT.

We are discussing the ST/RS, not the RT. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
02-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Not much I can add here.

Desert Spyder
02-05-2013, 02:13 PM
First off, as opposed to inside the car, the operator is the ABSOLUTE authority. There is no room for backseat driving. Operators have too much on their minds watching literally everything, which is twice as much as the cagers do.

Second off, proper ryding apparel is a must. Sandals are not proper attire...ever. Put them in the frunk for when you get off the bike. Not only do you have a hot muffler just below the peg, debris from the road can come up and hit your foot. At 70 MPH a major ouch factor.

scooterexpress
02-05-2013, 02:44 PM
psgr duties

1. feed driver
2. massage driver
3. never bother driver
4. psgr reserves the right to change the above duties:roflblack:

3whlLefty
02-05-2013, 04:28 PM
You should also try to ride as a passenger some time. That was quite the education for me. Having the backrest is pretty important. Since you don't lean there are strong forces on an unprepared psgr to 'exit' to the outside of the turn. My co-rider has very short arms so the grab handles are not easy to use. I've added the armrests and the verdict is still out of them. I will corner much more gently from now on. Drat!!

Before I had a GL1500 SE triked with a Diamond seat and backrest plus armrests. She misses that a lot.

The comments on the RT's are interesting. Maybe I have to reconsider.

This is a great thread. Thanks for starting it.