PDA

View Full Version : Info on Pet Carriers

AlamoRyder
02-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Trying to introduce my chihuahua and my wifes Porky to the joys of ryding and am interested in others opinions on pet carriers, etc. Yes, I am aware of “Teddy" but he is way hardcore for our situation right now. The problem we encounter is leaving home on long trips with our dogs at home. It would be easier to take them on some trips . Wife also rydes her Spyder Red RTS and has a "Teddy-like" (Pom-Yorkie mix). Watch out Teddy, she is a bad-ass ball of fur. We are going to try to get them ready to travel.
I know some Spyderlovers have more experience than we do. What say ya’ll?:spyder2:

CyncySpyder
02-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Are you wanting to ryde 2 up plus your dogs or single plus dog/s?

If 1 up plus a small dog, Pet Mate makes a nice collapsible carrier that fits well on the rear of the RT-S, and would fit a small dog (~10lbs) well & can be easily secured using a nylon strap from the carrier to under the seat thru the whole at the rear.

Others also use the "sachel" or "pappoose" (sp?) type of carrier & they seem to work well for them, I'm sure they will chime in. Just remember "doggles" to protect their eyes & always take water with you.

Goog luck & enjoy the ryde:clap:

SpydermanCT
02-04-2013, 10:53 PM

I found a used RT622 trailer lid and modified it for my 40 lb Puggle. We were still in training last fall and winter set in so we will continue in in the spring. It seemed every time we went out our dog would bark and bark. I was a little nervous that he was scared and it was a bad idea. Before one of the rides I raised his carrier so he wasn't riding so low in the trailer and found that his tail was wagging a mile a minute as he was barking. I surmised he was having fun, not scared. It's only a 15 minute job to swap lids over when we are using the trailer for overnight stays. After all the work I've done I'm hoping he likes it as much as I was hoping he would. Otherwise 4salebyowner

BTW the carrier is mounted to the trailer and the dog has a body harness that is chained to the carrier so he can not jump out.

AlamoRyder
02-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Are you wanting to ryde 2 up plus your dogs or single plus dog/s?

If 1 up plus a small dog, Pet Mate makes a nice collapsible carrier that fits well on the rear of the RT-S, and would fit a small dog (~10lbs) well & can be easily secured using a nylon strap from the carrier to under the seat thru the whole at the rear.

Others also use the "sachel" or "pappoose" (sp?) type of carrier & they seem to work well for them, I'm sure they will chime in. Just remember "doggles" to protect their eyes & always take water with you.

Goog luck & enjoy the ryde:clap:

We each have a RTS and we each have a dog. You have inspired us to make it a family excursion. They love going places with us so Teddy’s adventures gave us an idea that maybe we could do the same. Where did you get those cute googles or doggles?:)

AlamoRyder
02-04-2013, 11:01 PM

I found a used RT622 trailer lid and modified it for my 40 lb Puggle. We were still in training last fall and winter set in so we will continue in in the spring. It seemed every time we went out our dog would bark and bark. I was a little nervous that he was scared and it was a bad idea. Before one of the rides I raised his carrier so he wasn't riding so low in the trailer and found that his tail was wagging a mile a minute as he was barking. I surmised he was having fun, not scared. It's only a 15 minute job to swap lids over when we are using the trailer for overnight stays. After all the work I've done I'm hoping he likes it as much as I was hoping he would. Otherwise 4salebyowner

BTW the carrier is mounted to the trailer and the dog has a body harness that is chained to the carrier so he can not jump out.

What a great idea but you didn’t have much choice with a 50 lb. Puggle. I had a good laugh on your story. Good luck...

Chupaca
02-05-2013, 01:33 AM
:congrats: To you all, I'm sure the hounds love the ryde..:thumbup:

Wazoo
02-05-2013, 08:10 PM
I just give mine a few drops of nyquil and drop him in the frunk

AlamoRyder
02-05-2013, 09:17 PM
I just give mine a few drops of nyquil and drop him in the frunk

How long before he wakes? Who cares, huh? He gets out when he gets out. ;)
I love it. I needed a good laugh tonight and that fit the bill!!
It is a lot easier than buying a carrier...

muonwhiz
02-06-2013, 02:30 PM

Wonder if that would work for my 2 large doberman pinschers!

bcoulter19
02-06-2013, 02:48 PM
I was wondering the samething. I have a 80lb. labradoodle and a 65lb Pit/hound mix. Both great well behaved dogs but know way I would try to get them on or near the spyder when its moving. even if they were in a trailer they could move the spyder around if they got excited. :yikes: