PDA

View Full Version : SE5 oil change tip

Neez
02-04-2013, 01:04 PM
When doing an oil and filter change on an SE5, note that the longer 6Mx35 Allen screws fit the smaller trans filter,and the shorter 6Mx30 screws fit on the larger engine oil filter. If you place all the oily pieces in a drain pan, you may get them mixed up (guess how I know). If you do so, the filters will appear to seal up, but the engine screws will bottom out just before a complete seal is achieved. The result is a slow oil drip from the engine oil filter, which may cause you to check and recheck the O ring for possible flaws. Just a word to the wise from someone who wasn't.

billybovine
02-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Your not the first one to switch them.
Also make sure you use a torque wrench or your next problem will be stripped threads. The other option is to use the torque control device in your tool kit. It`s called a stubby Allen wrench.:D

jerpinoy
02-04-2013, 02:00 PM
When doing an oil and filter change on an SE5, note that the longer 6Mx35 Allen screws fit the smaller trans filter,and the shorter 6Mx30 screws fit on the larger engine oil filter. If you place all the oily pieces in a drain pan, you may get them mixed up (guess how I know). If you do so, the filters will appear to seal up, but the engine screws will bottom out just before a complete seal is achieved. The result is a slow oil drip from the engine oil filter, which may cause you to check and recheck the O ring for possible flaws. Just a word to the wise from someone who wasn't.

Great tip from :spyder2:lover who cares to our family. Thanks a mil God bless you

Pandy
02-04-2013, 02:15 PM
I have been notorious for getting fasteners mixed up, so when I first changed oil, I did one filter at a time. Slower, but I haven't mixed up the screws...yet.

Patrick

RTVIPER
02-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Your not the first one to switch them.
Also make sure you use a torque wrench or your next problem will be stripped threads. The other option is to use the torque control device in your tool kit. It`s called a stubby Allen wrench.:D

Which is the Stubby Allen Wrench (aka torque control device) that comes in our toolkit and how do you use it? Not tool savvy :sour: Thxs!!

ABQAndy
02-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the tip. I am getting ready to do my first oil change (dealer did the first one) on my RT in a few days.

ulflyer
02-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Maybe write it on the filter caps? Not sure even a perm marker would last, but worth trying.:clap:

smporter420
02-07-2013, 08:30 PM
How hot should engine be to drain oil ?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

MikeinGA
02-07-2013, 09:36 PM
How hot should engine be to drain oil ?

I warm up the engine and ride it about 3 miles and then drain the oil for 20 minutes. This way you get more of the dirt and water out of your engine. I use 10-40 Amsoil motorcycle oil. That's IMHO.

Mike

smporter420
02-07-2013, 09:56 PM
To ****ty here to ride, she is all ready to change, panels off. Two bars hot enough on display?

BajaRon
02-08-2013, 03:41 AM
The hotter the better. You want the oil to flow well so it carries as much contaminant out with it as possible. A few bars on the coolant gauge isn't enough to heat the oil. The coolant has a thermostat which restricts flow and helps the engine reach operating temperature more quickly.

The oil takes longer to heat than the coolant. You need to have the coolant at full operating temperature for several minutes before the oil is hot enough to get a good oil change. The only way to accomplish this is to drive at least a few miles.