PDA

View Full Version : Potentially New Ryder...Advice?

BourbonSpyder
02-03-2013, 09:42 PM
I've been riding bikes of the two wheel variety for about three years now. Ever since the first bike (Suzuki 650) I've had psychological problems with tight turns - we think stemming from a car accident years ago. I've been getting increasingly panicky in a turn or a slope whether its a car or a bike. We just attributed the feeling to nerves from learning, Newbie butterflies, and I could manage to keep them in check because I was having a great time and love the bike!! In short, two bikes later the problem is worse, not better, to the point I haven't ridden in months. My Harley friends (and S/0) love to tease me about my love of the Spyder - and at the Bike Show in November they gave me no end of grief while I was admiring and shamelessly drooling at the Can-Am booth over the ST-S. (The boyfriend had the Spyder Rep demonstrate to me the stability--by putting all his weight on the floorboard and trying to pull it over.)

So... I'm (quietly and secretly) thinking the Spyder just may be the answer to a stress-free ryde.

The first thing I think of is how many places I can go on it that I would Never attempt on my Dyna - just because of nerves and tipping over issues. Slope and gravel would not be a problem...I could have a passenger if I wanted..and just to ride without my stomach in knots cause we're going around a corner, or even going into the gas station would be fantastic. I could ride with the boyfriend again and this time keep up and not be a stress-case at the end of the ride.

I've started looking in want ads, and the forum for a used one. Thinking I can get a great price for my bike, since it's very Low Miles (giggle) and can trade over to the Spyder side...

SO my Question now is:
Is there a benefit to any specific year? Any new features on a newer model worth trading up for? Anything you wish you'd added to the Spyder? I want to go for a test ride with some knowledge...videos on YouTube have helped quite a bit.
Any advice you can send my way would be most appreciated.
Thanks!! http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.png

JKMSPYDER
02-03-2013, 09:59 PM
I have owned my 2013 ST-S for a month now and love it. I currently have over 500 miles on it. I bought the 2013 model as my first Spyder because I wanted the cross between the sport Spyder and the touring Spyder. All 2013 models also have beefed up suspensions, larger tires, and bigger brakes. If possible, see if you can find a 2012 and a 2013 at a dealer and compare. If you do buy a Spyder, I think you will love it.

cohoff
02-03-2013, 10:30 PM
i started out with a 2008 gs. i bought a 2012 rt se5 in october. i got a great deal on the year end sale. there are still some great deals to be found on 2012's. the new st's look sharp also. so many options. best thing is to go test drive a couple different models and see which one you gravitate to. the good thing is you can never go wrong with whichever spyder you choose. they're all fun to ryde! let us know what you get.

also, we have a group for ladies only on facebook called 'girls on spyders'. if you'd like to join us over there let me know.

my3gs
02-03-2013, 10:35 PM
I think you would have no prob. Read or lookup the DOs An Donts on the forum . Lots of info about riding a spyder.

SpyderLady
02-03-2013, 10:54 PM
I started with an RS. The only reason I went to an RT was some of the features that ARE now on the ST...adjustable windshield, cruise control, heated grips. Had I known the ST was coming I would have gone for it in a minute. You will love whichever you buy..I know longer worry about rain (just let me pull over and get rain gear on), gravel, etc. go for it. Where do you live.... If close to Springfield visit Pit Bull Powersports. They will be open with stock in a few weeks. If you can make it to Spyderfest there is a good chance BRP may be there with new models to test drive.

Chupaca
02-03-2013, 11:03 PM
I would test drive the new ones if possible. I have seen several posts of people that have rented one. They would probably have older models and you can get the feel on the road. The rest is personal choices, auto shift, manual shift travel bags etc. I love simple and love our RS. Good luck and hope to see you on one...:thumbup:

ARtraveler
02-03-2013, 11:17 PM
:welcome: I recommend the test driving route to see how you like the :spyder2:. We are all a bit biased about our particular year, color, model. It will ultimately come down to what year/model you like best.

Don't let friends decide what is/is not right for you.

Let us know what you decide.

BourbonSpyder
02-04-2013, 12:34 AM
I'd like to join the group - I'll look on Facebook?
Thanks! I'm looking at used ones from dealers who are local, then thought I'd check ones who might be farther out---I'd
be happy to ride one home!!

i started out with a 2008 gs. i bought a 2012 rt se5 in october. i got a great deal on the year end sale. there are still some great deals to be found on 2012's. the new st's look sharp also. so many options. best thing is to go test drive a couple different models and see which one you gravitate to. the good thing is you can never go wrong with whichever spyder you choose. they're all fun to ryde! let us know what you get.

also, we have a group for ladies only on facebook called 'girls on spyders'. if you'd like to join us over there let me know.

MtlBen
02-04-2013, 12:40 AM
My advice is to rent one first and see how you feel.

It does take a lot of time on the seat to get fully comfortable if you have a 2 wheels background ( at least afew hundred miles), but if you think you may panic you may not be able to endure it that long.

My personal worst experiences at first involved getting a bit fast in a badly designed curve that slopes towards the outside of the curve. These types of cunstruction masterpieces are common around here and can be nerve wrecking until you learn to trust your vehicle.

...Ben...

Champagne
02-04-2013, 07:02 AM
They are giving you great advice. You are correct and do not have to worry about the spyder tipping over.
But you must always remember you control the machine the machine don't control you. There are a lot of women ryders
and they love the spyder . My wife is one. And I feel very comfortable with her driving it. I should get some brownie points for that statement..:yikes:

gnirtsnod
02-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Here's my two cents worth. I still am an H-D rider (FLHTCU), but when it comes to choosing a bike for an afternoon ride, it's the RT-S. It's just fun to ride...and easy. It took me about 100 - 150 miles in the saddle to get comfortable with the Spyder, though, and I still tense up occasionaly at 800 miles. It's fun but different, so start slowly and learn your bike. I am looking forward to a ride of several hundred miles to broaden my Spyder experience, though.

A number of people ride a three-wheeler of any kind because of a concern for safer riding...or to overcome a physical or psychological issue that prevents them from enjoying the two-wheel experience. I, too, have a phobia for switchbacks - sharp right-hand, uphill variety in particular. I've taken rider skill lessons to manage it and enjoy two wheels even more, now. No reason not to enjoy both if able, but if you are dealing with something that detracts from the experience, make the change. ...Don

Oldmanzues
02-04-2013, 09:55 AM
All good thoughts, as usual on here. there is a thread on here about tips for newcomers,suggest read that.
I have always believed what you ride is not important, it is nice that you ride.

soapbox alert
Then I have to be blunt. I have know too many people, who for a number of reasons, stay on two wheels, when they know they are not comfortable or even a danger to themself or others. I used to kind of believe that if they dropped theirs, it was their problem, not mine. BUT ( I am Yelling) a dropped bike at a stop sign or going down in a curve is going to impact others. I believe a "very concerned Rider" is a danger to self and others. I, personally would rather have a S/O riding what they are comfortable on, then visit them in the Hospitial or worse.

I know a gentleman. He is older them me, 77+ He had riden for years. Bike fell over in driveway, smashed his leg. Just missed smashing hip. metal rod in leg. Unknown what else.
Off the soapbox, Good luck with your decision.
Oldmanzues

cohoff
02-04-2013, 09:56 AM
bourbonspyder....one of the admins at girls on spyders has to get you into the group on facebook. i'll post a request there for one of them to invite you in. you'll love the group, lots of great information, comfortable environment, and fun ladies.

cohoff
02-04-2013, 10:26 AM
bourbonspyder........faran is going to invite you to join 'girls on spyders' on facebook. to do so she needs your real name on facebook. could you pm that info to me or email it to me at cohoff@hotmail.com

otter28169
02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
I've been riding bikes of the two wheel variety for about three years now. Ever since the first bike (Suzuki 650) I've had psychological problems with tight turns - we think stemming from a car accident years ago. I've been getting increasingly panicky in a turn or a slope whether its a car or a bike. We just attributed the feeling to nerves from learning, Newbie butterflies, and I could manage to keep them in check because I was having a great time and love the bike!! In short, two bikes later the problem is worse, not better, to the point I haven't ridden in months. My Harley friends (and S/0) love to tease me about my love of the Spyder - and at the Bike Show in November they gave me no end of grief while I was admiring and shamelessly drooling at the Can-Am booth over the ST-S. (The boyfriend had the Spyder Rep demonstrate to me the stability--by putting all his weight on the floorboard and trying to pull it over.)

So... I'm (quietly and secretly) thinking the Spyder just may be the answer to a stress-free ryde.

The first thing I think of is how many places I can go on it that I would Never attempt on my Dyna - just because of nerves and tipping over issues. Slope and gravel would not be a problem...I could have a passenger if I wanted..and just to ride without my stomach in knots cause we're going around a corner, or even going into the gas station would be fantastic. I could ride with the boyfriend again and this time keep up and not be a stress-case at the end of the ride.

I've started looking in want ads, and the forum for a used one. Thinking I can get a great price for my bike, since it's very Low Miles (giggle) and can trade over to the Spyder side...

SO my Question now is:
Is there a benefit to any specific year? Any new features on a newer model worth trading up for? Anything you wish you'd added to the Spyder? I want to go for a test ride with some knowledge...videos on YouTube have helped quite a bit.
Thanks!! http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.png

You must be my doppelganger:shocked:. Because I was in exactly the same boat you were less than a year ago. I had ridden my Suzuki GS500E for three years or so, but was constantly nervous on the road. I grew up on dirt bikes, and snowmobiles but could not enjoy the road as much as I would have liked. :banghead:

The first time I got on my spyder, I fired it up and did a 12 mile round trip test run. It was only after I got back that I realized one thing; my constant worry had not crept in my mind:ohyea:. All I could think about was how great it was, and I still feel the same way. This will be my first full season on the spyder and I expect to easily pass 25,000 miles this year.
I am of the belief that a spyder will be the best money you ever spend, hands down. I would even bet money on it.nojoke Have fun, hope to see you on the road enjoying your :spyder:.

Jharpo
02-04-2013, 11:15 AM
My advice is really a warning. I too, rode 2 wheelers for several years before getting my Spyder. A delayed diagnosis of a thyroid condition sapped my leg strength and I became terrified, not of riding, but of stopping. I was terrified that I would drop my beautiful red Kawasaki at a stop light. It ruined the whole ride every time I rode, so I just stopped riding and the bike sat in the garage. My son-in-law kept hinting at a Spyder. I bought my 2009 GS (that's an older RS) from a retired motorcycle cop a year and one half ago. He gave me the best advice. "The Spyder is not a motorcycle, it's a Spyder. It doesn't handle like a motorcycle, it handles like a Spyder. It will take at least 6 hours of riding the Spyder to really feel comfortable and appreciate its qualities." So I'm asking you not to judge the total Spyder experience on a test ride, please. I personally do not like the RT as much as the RS. But I like my sports car better than a Caddy. If I could afford to buy a new ST, I would in a heartbeat. It's a personal preference . Just try all three models and pick the one that fits your lifestyle and personality. One more thing. My Spyder is a manual transmission . I love it. I didn't even consider buying the semi-automatic model. Now that I have ridden several Spyders with the semi-automatic, that will be a requirement on my next bike.

jerpinoy
02-04-2013, 01:15 PM
:agree:By the time you read my post, you already know all things to be consider, so good luck and God Bless you.:welcome: ​stay tune

gswife
02-04-2013, 04:41 PM
To add my input here too.. first off you did the right thing asking those of us that have them..

I have been around motorcycles all my life but only had a little honda passport back in the early 80's and that was sold out from under me so I just let the endorsement go.. in 2008 I got my motorcycle endorsement here in FL and with that I had to take the riders edge course to get it, (new laws), at that time I bought a 2003 650 VStar Custom in Purple.. but I could not get anyone to ride with me because I was "to new of a rider" being in Florida and the snow birds coming into town the traffic was getting crazy well one killed a guy on a bike just two streets from my house I told myself wait till they go home before you take it out on the road just drive it around the neighborhood and leave it at that... well I dumped it it pissed me off so much I yanked it up and took it home and left it there.. til I used it as a trade in on my car. then I took a test drive on a RT I was in love... FB had a give away for a spyder and you had to at least test drive one if you could find a dealership... the price was the biggest thing I had to deal with it cost more then my New 2011 Sion xb...

But I was at a Harley Davidson dealership when they had a tent sale going on in Oct. and low and behold was my :ani29:Elvira.... (RTS) they didn't even know how to start it when I asked to take a test drive on it..:shocked:... So they found someone that did and we went out when we go back I did the same thing my husband did for his HD that he got,:bowdown: I even :pray: and he broke down and said if we can get some off it we would get it! That night I rode Elvira home more then an hour and a half away from the dealership into the night too.. I have not regretted one second yes you will have to get used to it but really its not all that hard to do!

Red angel
02-04-2013, 04:58 PM
I am a senior woman and never rode before getting the spyder I agree with the others try out several different ones. I previously had a 2009 RS and found the ridding position on long rides leaning forward extremely uncomfortably that is why I traded up to .2011 RT and I am very happy. At first when I went into curves I took them very slowly.

Deanna777
02-21-2013, 03:44 PM

SO my Question now is:
Thanks!! http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.png I am a new :spyder2: owner/rider myself. I was a passenger for 16 years, on the 2 wheel kind. So I decided to get my Motorcycle Endorsement, and so i went and bought a ( Harleydavison Switchback) traded that in for a 2012 RT S-5 Quantum Blue Metallic I feel very comfortable on mine, and you cannot tip the spyder over. It has alot of safety features. I would test drive a spyder or talk to other spyder owners in your area, and get their advise, and keep checking on this website for more info. This website has alot of excellent info...... P.S. You can PM me for more info. Good luck

Deanna777:ohyea:

Questions
02-21-2013, 04:10 PM
I bought my spyder for the exact reason you are thinking of...I dropped my motorcycle in 2008..it was a 650..v -star..after I became more anxious with turns and leaning..sold it for a 250cc Honda to regain my confidence..However could never get over the fear of dropping it again..so sold that and bought my RS..Took me awhile to lose the fear of tipping even on this..The more I ride the less I panic..even as a passenger on some loops and turns the fear re-surfaces..So try one out and see how you feel and keep in mind that the more you turn the more confident you will feel..They are awesome and I hope it works for you.....

Deanna777
02-22-2013, 05:13 PM
I bought my spyder for the exact reason you are thinking of...I dropped my motorcycle in 2008..it was a 650..v -star..after I became more anxious with turns and leaning..sold it for a 250cc Honda to regain my confidence..However could never get over the fear of dropping it again..so sold that and bought my RS..Took me awhile to lose the fear of tipping even on this..The more I ride the less I panic..even as a passenger on some loops and turns the fear re-surfaces..So try one out and see how you feel and keep in mind that the more you turn the more confident you will feel..They are awesome and I hope it works for you..... SinceI bought my :spyder2: in july of last year i put on 2,700 miles, then it i put in the storage. This year I will be putting on alot of miles, because ( blueknight911who is my boyfriend ) we are going to Spyderfest, and MaggieValley,and Lamonts BBQ etc. I had no problem getting use to the 3 wheels. I really love my :spyder2:. I can not wait until the riding season begins. Deanna777 :ohyea:

BourbonSpyder
03-17-2013, 01:20 AM
They are giving you great advice. You are correct and do not have to worry about the spyder tipping over.
But you must always remember you control the machine the machine don't control you. There are a lot of women ryders
and they love the spyder . My wife is one. And I feel very comfortable with her driving it. I should get some brownie points for that statement..:yikes:

Brownie Points Given!!!! Thanks for all the advice.
I'm going to try to get a test ride in next week. Then I have to sell my current bike and start the process of finding the right one,etc. It should sell fast, low miles since I haven't been on it in ages.

BourbonSpyder
03-17-2013, 01:27 AM
My advice is really a warning. I too, rode 2 wheelers for several years before getting my Spyder. A delayed diagnosis of a thyroid condition sapped my leg strength and I became terrified, not of riding, but of stopping. I was terrified that I would drop my beautiful red Kawasaki at a stop light. It ruined the whole ride every time I rode, so I just stopped riding and the bike sat in the garage. My son-in-law kept hinting at a Spyder. I bought my 2009 GS (that's an older RS) from a retired motorcycle cop a year and one half ago. He gave me the best advice. "The Spyder is not a motorcycle, it's a Spyder. It doesn't handle like a motorcycle, it handles like a Spyder. It will take at least 6 hours of riding the Spyder to really feel comfortable and appreciate its qualities." So I'm asking you not to judge the total Spyder experience on a test ride, please. I personally do not like the RT as much as the RS. But I like my sports car better than a Caddy. If I could afford to buy a new ST, I would in a heartbeat. It's a personal preference . Just try all three models and pick the one that fits your lifestyle and personality. One more thing. My Spyder is a manual transmission . I love it. I didn't even consider buying the semi-automatic model. Now that I have ridden several Spyders with the semi-automatic, that will be a requirement on my next bike.

I sat on all three Spyders at the Bike Show - I liked the "sit" of the ST the best..but I'd test drive them all before going ahead and plunking down my cash. Someone had told me they wish they'd gone with the semi auto...I already shift my two wheel bike..but I'll make sure to check it. I'll keep your advice in mind--its a Spyder, not a bike. Thank you!

PrairieSpyder
03-17-2013, 08:55 AM
BourbonSpyder, you may be my doppelganger, too. I hated tight turns, especially to the right. I looked for excuses not to ride, instead of to ride. I went thru several 2-wheelers - Suzuki Savage, Burgman 400, V-Star 950, V-Star 250. Never fealt comfortable and had some health problems affecting my strength thru the day. Then I decided on the Spyder so I could ride without worries. Hooray! I found my machine. I opted for the RT because of the way it sits. (I always favored cruisers.) But if I was buying now, I'd sure look at the ST.

Good luck.

bruisersbaby
03-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Hi, BourbonSpyder. Don't know if we've already met on GOS on Facebook or not. For me, I never rode anything in my life, until Bruiser asked me if I'd like to learn how to ride the Spyder. Been ryding almost two years now and loving it. It is true that a Spyder is not a motorcycle. When someone comes up and asks us about our 'motorcycles', we are quick to correct - nicely, of course - that it is a Spyder, or roadster, not a motorcycle. We Spyder ryders are unique in that we ryde something so much different. Personally, I like to shift, but it would be what you're comfortable with. Take care.

Middledeb
03-29-2013, 05:26 AM
I always wanted to ride but was terrified of the turns also, I bought my 2011 RT then went for my license, I love it,, I feel much safer riding it then a 2 wheel, it helps that it stands out ,people can see you a lot easier. I just want to add more lighting, and have it wrapped. Good luck in whatever you decide.