PDA

View Full Version : Proper operation of a clutch

jimcrom
02-03-2013, 06:28 PM
After reading the do's and don'ts for new spyder owners and the info about using a clutch, I now have a question about proper use of a clutch. If I am approaching a stop sign in 4th gear, I would down shift to 3rd and release the clutch and let the spyder slow down on its own, I would then downshift to second and do the same. So based on what I am reading, am I better to pull in the clutch and just use the brake or downshift and increase the rev's then let the clutch out.

Illinois Boy
02-03-2013, 06:34 PM
After reading the do's and don'ts for new spyder owners and the info about using a clutch, I now have a question about proper use of a clutch. If I am approaching a stop sign in 4th gear, I would down shift to 3rd and release the clutch and let the spyder slow down on its own, I would then downshift to second and do the same. So based on what I am reading, am I better to pull in the clutch and just use the brake or downshift and increase the rev's then let the clutch out.

The info you read was referring to the SE5 tranny. If I had a manual tranny, I would operate it just as you would any manual tranny with downshifts... Just my opinion.

Chupaca
02-03-2013, 06:38 PM
The manual clutches are spring loaded and are fully engaged when lever is released. I always do as you do when coming to a stop. Keeping the high rpm's when picking up speed still applies,lugging the engine is not good. The semi-automatic clutches are some what different and from what I read here most have the auto system....:thumbup:

NancysToy
02-03-2013, 10:56 PM
There is no reason not to use engine braking as you have been doing. It is not hard on the clutch, and can be a little easier on your brakes. Pulling it in won't hurt, either. It uses the brakes a little more, and can slightly increase stopping distances, but is somewhat more controllable. Do whichever makes you happy. JMHO