PDA

View Full Version : Question for Ken (Air Filter)?

Lamonster
04-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Got my air filter from you and it looks great. :bigthumbsup: Should be much better than stock paper filter.
The one concern I have is at the very end of your instructions you say
"for even greater performance, remove the rubber intake tubes from the front of the air box."

From what I see the tubes are there to get you away from pulling the hot air from the radiator. If I pull the tubes the intake will be right above the radiator and we know that cooler air is what you want, not hotter air. I guess I could shoot it with my temp gun to see what the air temp is at the stock intake and at the box above the radiator. I just don't see how this is going to add to performance. :dontknow: If you don't have a dyno how do you know it added to performance and have you been able to read the air/fuel mixture to see if it's going to be running lean or not? If a guy changes pipe and air filter will they need to remap? Right now I don't know of a way to remap other than tricking the sensor but without a sniffer I would think it's just a guess if you were okay or not.

I've spent a lot of hours on a dyno with my 109 and have learned a lot about the effect of air temps and where the air is drawn and on the 109. Just moving the air intake away from the hot motor will gain you about 4hp. Also we found that we could change the air filter or the pipe and still be in the safe zone but when we changed both the air and the pipe we need to remap to get our air/fuel back where it needs to be.

I know you've done more testing on this than anyone on the Spyder so I would just like to get your thoughts. Thanks

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/5619/1CIMG4816.JPG

Spydroe
04-05-2008, 09:35 AM
ping

Lamonster
04-05-2008, 09:38 AM
ping

Did you buy an air filter too?

Lamonster
04-05-2008, 09:44 AM
More info on cold air intakes.
http://www.coldairintakeshop.com

Cold Air Intake Systems let your engine breathe in large amounts of cooler air, resulting in increased power at the wheels. Cold air intakes enhance the combustion process of your engine, which uses both oxygen and fuel. Cold air intake systems pull in more cold air, more cold air means more oxygen resulting in more usable power and torque throughout the engine's RPM range. Most Cold Air Intake systems relocate the air filter outside of the engine compartment or away from the heat of the engine for a cooler intake charge. Cold air is denser and heavier than warm air, which means that there is more oxygen in a cold cubic foot of air delivering a higher volume of air into the engine. Replacing your vehicle's stock air box with a cold air induction system removes one of the biggest restrictions on your engine.

The Spyder might look pretty cool with a couple of these out the sides and dual exhaust. :doorag: ;D

spyder114
04-05-2008, 03:34 PM
I got the filter too and did pull the snorkel. I can always put it back in if needs be. :doorag:

spyder114
04-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Spydroe did his a week or so ago and his seems to run well with the warrior pipe. I just installed my 60 buck warrior pipe on Wednesday. :agree:

Lamonster
04-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Spydroe did his a week or so ago and his seems to run well with the warrior pipe. I just installed my 60 buck warrior pipe on Wednesday. :agree:
:bigthumbsup: :doorag: :spyder:

Wijllie
04-08-2008, 12:19 AM
sorry, i just saw this post. the snorkles are there to reduce intake noise (and unfortunately performance). the complete airbox was tested on a flow bench and the difference in air flow from a stock clean filter to our performance filter was ~20%. if i remember right, removing the snorkles added another 15% flow.
one important aspect to remember about our filter is that it was designed around the air box, not the stock filter. as we learned (the hard way) the stock filter does not seal very well in the air box and can allow dirt & grit to get by. our performance filter fits much tighter in the box, thus allowing more clean air into the engine.

So if I disassemble the snorkles without changing anything the engine runs actually better (with no harm)?

Another question; if I order the filter and some other parts can it be shipped as "present"? The Alarm costed me another 80$ taxes which could been have avoided when labeling otherwise...

Lamonster
04-08-2008, 06:05 AM
sorry, i just saw this post. the snorkles are there to reduce intake noise (and unfortunately performance). the complete airbox was tested on a flow bench and the difference in air flow from a stock clean filter to our performance filter was ~20%. if i remember right, removing the snorkles added another 15% flow.

one important aspect to remember about our filter is that it was designed around the air box, not the stock filter. as we learned (the hard way) the stock filter does not seal very well in the air box and can allow dirt & grit to get by. our performance filter fits much tighter in the box, thus allowing more clean air into the engine.

I can see it reducing noise Ken but what about hot air intake?
What about running lean with a 35% increase in air?
Flow bench testing is great but dyno testing is better and without that you really don't know what that increase in air flow is going to do for you. Would you agree?

Spyd3r
04-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Would the BUDS sytem they hook it up to be able to tell you if it has or is running lean and adjust fuel?

Lamonster
04-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Would the BUDS sytem they hook it up to be able to tell you if it has or is running lean and adjust fuel?

I think the BUDS could tell you where you stopped for breakfast. ;D :spyder:

Rotaxrocket
04-08-2008, 08:07 PM

Are you going to put a sound bite on the site so we can hear your Warrior pipe. Looks good.....

Wijllie
04-09-2008, 12:15 AM
we as a business can't legally mislabel a package or contents (the fines can be $10k's).

But you could send it as normal post at the post office without firm address....

Mostly if we buy somethung in the States it costs in Euros as much as Dollars, so an
item of 300 Dollars would cost us 300 Euros, if you calculate that 300 Euros is about 450 Dollars
you know why I ask to send it with normal post as an individual...
You can always PM me if you like.

Or I could pay Lamonster, he orders it and sends it then to me if he wish ;)

Wijllie
04-09-2008, 01:36 PM
after having lost several thousand dollars in unpaid insured packages shipped through the post office, we don't do that any more. if you are willing to have us ship without insurance, we can ship via usps.

Thats at least an alternative thx :)

Danimal
04-09-2008, 10:40 PM
I installed Ken's filter kit and removed the tubes. I then put 200 miles on the bike with no problems. It does sound MUCH louder. It seemed more responsive.. but that could have been the sound playing games on me!

bjt
04-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Has everyone who installed the Evoluzion performance filter also upgraded their exhaust and used the O2 modifier? When dltang and I installed the performance filters in our Spyders and removed the air intake tubes, we both seemed to notice that the engine ran worse. Mine was especially bad when I first took off with a cold engine last night, outside air temp about 65. I thought the engine was going to stall out on me when I tried giving it some throttle coming out of a lower RPM turn. Once the engine warmed up, it was better but still seemed slugish. Today we both put in the air intake tubes again and ran them with the performace filter and both bikes were back to normal. We are both still running with the stock exhaust. I may try removing the tubes again once we get the Hindles put on to see if that makes a difference. I did notice that the Spyder was louder without the intake tubes, mainly under acceleration.

Lamonster
04-23-2008, 06:47 PM
I just put my tubes back on for the same reason. I rode Rons Spyder yesterday and that's when I realized how bad mine was. I put the tubes back in and the bike runs much better now. :doorag:

bjt
04-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Good, so now I can assume that having an aftermarket exhaust won't make a difference. It must be in the O2 modifier that Evoluzion sells. Ken did tell me when I was ordering the filter that the O2 modifier would make the fuel mixture richer, thus improving low RPM engine performance. I'll just keep them in.

Danimal
04-23-2008, 11:57 PM
I'll throw mine back in and see if I notice a difference.

I don't ryde on a cold engine.... not a good thing.

I wait for 2 bars.. and then go.

When I tried to run once with it cold I had the same bad-running problems.

bjt
04-24-2008, 06:47 AM
I also like to let the engine warm up a bit before taking off but I don't wait for two bars. Mainly, I give it about one or two minutes while I'm getting prepped for riding. Of course, if I get waylaid by someone coming over to look at and question me about the Spyder, that usually turns into 5 - 10 minutes. ;D
:spyder:

Putt-Putt
04-24-2008, 07:59 PM
I installed Ken's filter kit and removed the tubes. I then put 200 miles on the bike with no problems. It does sound MUCH louder. It seemed more responsive.. but that could have been the sound playing games on me!

I know about the sound playing with ya. When I started drag racing motorcycles I experimented with different exhaust set ups. Some of the loudest ones, you would of sworn had more power and was faster by seat of the pants. Ah then enter the drag strip timer and it was slower.

krb1945
06-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Part of the reason the engines don't run as good on hot air is "less oxygen molecules". "Cold air is more dense thus has more oxygen molecules." Remember on a hot day when you go through a valley it is cooler because the cool air is heavier.

At this point in time this only applies to earth :ohyea::roflblack:.

boborgera
06-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Part of the reason the engines don't run as good on hot air is "less oxygen molecules". "Cold air is more dense thus has more oxygen molecules." Remember on a hot day when you go through a valley it is cooler because the cool air is heavier.

At this point in time this only applies to earth :ohyea::roflblack:.

:agree:
Also the heat affects the gas, If you could run a cool can all the time [can't be done] the engine will run [almost] normal. In my drag racing days i always used one.:D

bone crusher
06-25-2010, 12:23 PM
why are people digging up posts from 2 years ago??