PDA

View Full Version : Does any one know of a fix yet? ST-S Steering???

kubie
02-02-2013, 12:15 PM
I just traded my 2012 RSS SE 5 in on a 2013 STS SE 5.
I love it! I'm 6' 4" tall and was just cramped on the RSS. The STS fits me so much better with the Floor boards, the taller profile and higher handle bars and oh and the adjustable wind shield, it fits me Great. The Shifting Is greatly improved. And not having to man handle the steering is definately a plus. The sensitivity of the steering Freeked me out! I am having the same issues as the other Spyder Riders on this Board! it seams to wonder. I have notaced that a lighter grip helps. but don't know if that is the complete fix. does any one know if BRP knows about this issue. I really thought/think somthing was or is loose or out of alinement. I only have 150 miles on it So im going to try and get used to it but I still think somthing is Wrong. wish I could dampin down the sensitiivity and see if that helped!:sour:

kubie
02-02-2013, 12:38 PM
I just had the am/fm stero installed and had them check on the alinement. they say its ok. and that im just use to the RS-S and that every thing is fine. and that I just need to loosen my grip and relax! i'm still not likeing it! im wandering if a fox racing shock kit is avalabile? don't want to spend any more Money on a brand new bike!!!! when i feel BRP Should have known and fixed it. But I might Have no Choice! almost 300 miles and still no change:sour:!!!!! Don't get me wrong I Love it. but the Steering Freeks me out! :banghead:

NancysToy
02-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Did they use BRP's new procedure for the 2013s to check the alignment, or just eyeball it? You can't just look things over. They need to use the 2013 procedure, that was released just recently (this week?) Wandering, and following every bump and grade in the road, is a symptom of inadequate toe-in. Have them look again...or just insist that they fix it...period! They have an obligation, whether they understand that or not. They can contact BRP dealer tech support for assistance.

kubie
02-02-2013, 12:55 PM
I dont know Scotty I will ask them Because this is exactly what my Spyder is doing! And thanks for the reply...

jerpinoy
02-02-2013, 01:00 PM
I have the same experience on my 2012 RT SE5. The more I put more miles the more I learned and understand how this:spyder2:works. I'm glad that I did not panic in every situations. I posted my exprienced here and got most of the answers with our:spyder2:families. Good luck and God Bless

twain
02-02-2013, 01:36 PM
I rode my ST Limited yesterday about 20 miles on highway with a looser grio and was somewhat better but still think should not wander so much. Had almost 20k on my RS so know a little how should handle. Have appoint ment next Saturday at dealer for oil change. Already indormed them to call BRP and get any updates for suspension. Hopefully all will go well.

BikerDoc
02-02-2013, 02:28 PM
It took me 2.5 hours of riding the ST and finally using only my fingers (not palm grip) on the handles to finally get the feel, i.e. feel like i had control without worrying about flittering around the highway. A buddy of mine has one he has ridden substantially more and says he is completely used to it now and that while it was a transition for him from his RS that he is happy with it now that he is used to it.

kubie
02-02-2013, 02:48 PM
It took me 2.5 hours of riding the ST and finally using only my fingers (not palm grip) on the handles to finally get the feel, i.e. feel like i had control without worrying about flittering around the highway. A buddy of mine has one he has ridden substantially more and says he is completely used to it now and that while it was a transition for him from his RS that he is happy with it now that he is used to it.

I Hope your Right Biker Doc. Im Going to keep riding it and try to figure the best way to ride.... Thanks!

ARtraveler
02-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Please keep us posted on what happens. At first, many thought it was the "death grip syndrome" that was causing the control problems.

Then....they came up with the fact that some new 2013's came from the factory with glitches in the alignment.

The fact that you are a previous :spyder2: owner tells me that you should not be experiencing the "death grip syndrome" to much. IMO there should not be that much difference in the new :ani29:.

It is important that the dealer follow the specified procedure to check on the alignment issues--not just a cursory glance or measurement--if that is what they are doing. I can understand your frustration with the purchase of the newest and best, and then have mechanical issues from the start.

kubie
02-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Please keep us posted on what happens. At first, many thought it was the "death grip syndrome" that was causing the control problems.

Then....they came up with the fact that some new 2013's came from the factory with glitches in the alignment.

The fact that you are a previous :spyder2: owner tells me that you should not be experiencing the "death grip syndrome" to much. IMO there should not be that much difference in the new :ani29:.

It is important that the dealer follow the specified procedure to check on the alignment issues--not just a cursory glance or measurement--if that is what they are doing. I can understand your frustration with the purchase of the newest and best, and then have mechanical issues from the start.

Today, 03:35 PM
akspyderman

Beleve me when I say The steering is Completely diffrent. My RS-S was more like steering a four weeler! you had to man handle it, but it didn't wander in a slight wind or a crack in the road and when it wanders and you try and correct it,even with the tips of your fingers it will over steer. And if you let it it can really freek you out! It did me the first time!!! So I drove it back to the dealer and told them, and they told me not to try and over power it and relax my grip. Well this helped a little bit... I guess... but. like I said before if I could tighten up the steering or dampen it so it wasn't so touchy I think it would help. my next Move is to call on Monday. If I can, and see if they know about the new 2013 alignment procedures, and see if they will check it with them. then?????? I don't know!

ARtraveler
02-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Please keep us posted. I have not had a chance to test drive a 2013 ST yet, but I am going to do so once the dealer gets em in stock--April/May. I am going to do a test drive so I can see what everyone is talking about. Thanks for your reply back. I have almost 60,000 miles on four assorted spyders--so I am looking forward to testing out a 2013 and seeing the differences thereoff.

Spydr in KS
02-02-2013, 09:44 PM
I must be lucky. Have about 60 miles on my STS now and it tracks fine on the highway. I rode with one hand for a while just to see if it would wonder. I did feel it move some once in a while with cross winds, but nothing like my 08 did. I wouldn't trade back to my 08 GS for anything!

The steering is very smooth, not as much effort needed as the old Spyder, but I've had no feeling that it is over sensitive.

capt.jim
02-02-2013, 10:00 PM
I have 40,000 GS miles under my belt and 600 on the ST-S and still not comfortable with my steering. Something is not right, it flits one way or the other, and then oversteers when you try to correct it. A set of RT shocks will do wonders for for the side to side sway you get while trying to keep it straight, you should be able to find some used for around $100, for now that is. With the RT shocks on the highway it isn't as bad, but around town the front end is always hunting for a place to go. Mine is also much harder to steer than my GS, I checked the DPS, it's working. Glad I still have my GS to drive while I am waiting for this to get sorted out. I wouldn't trade my GS for anything, not yet anyway!

NancysToy
02-02-2013, 10:43 PM
I have 40,000 GS miles under my belt and 600 on the ST-S and still not comfortable with my steering. Something is not right, it flits one way or the other, and then oversteers when you try to correct it. A set of RT shocks will do wonders for for the side to side sway you get while trying to keep it straight, you should be able to find some used for around $100, for now that is. With the RT shocks on the highway it isn't as bad, but around town the front end is always hunting for a place to go. Mine is also much harder to steer than my GS, I checked the DPS, it's working. Glad I still have my GS to drive while I am waiting for this to get sorted out. I wouldn't trade my GS for anything, not yet anyway!
The darting is a classic sign of inadequate toe-in. Have it aligned.

mcaccamise
02-03-2013, 12:03 AM
From a previous post i read it said that the new procedure for alignment on a 2013 should take at least three to four hours removeing the frunk and assembly to properly set up for the alignment so if your Dealer has short cut the procedure than maybe they havent been set up for the new alignment procedures?
Mike

Spydr in KS
02-03-2013, 12:24 AM
A set of RT shocks will do wonders for for the side to side sway you get while trying to keep it straight

I've got no sway, way less lean than my GS. The STS handles like its on rails...nojoke:dontknow:

ThreeWheels
02-03-2013, 06:48 AM
Today, 03:35 PM
akspyderman

Beleve me when I say The steering is Completely diffrent. My RS-S was more like steering a four weeler! you had to man handle it, but it didn't wander in a slight wind or a crack in the road and when it wanders and you try and correct it,even with the tips of your fingers it will over steer. And if you let it it can really freek you out! It did me the first time!!! So I drove it back to the dealer and told them, and they told me not to try and over power it and relax my grip. Well this helped a little bit... I guess... but. like I said before if I could tighten up the steering or dampen it so it wasn't so touchy I think it would help. my next Move is to call on Monday. If I can, and see if they know about the new 2013 alignment procedures, and see if they will check it with them. then?????? I don't know!

Relaxing your grip, getting used to the new ride, all these things sound good, but if the bike is twitchy and wanders around on its own then something is wrong, most likely too much toe out.
If they don't fix it, find another dealer.
DAMHIKT

kubie
02-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Ok ya' all I’m back with some good news!!!! My Spyder is fixed. It’s fun to ride again. Here’s what happened I talked to the dealer after I ask for advice from all of you, and after the service manager and I talked for a while, we agreed that I would keep driving it till the six hundred mile Service, and then they would perform the 2013 Alignment Procedures, Along with the six hundred mile services. I took it in on Thursday and got it back yesterday! The Alignment was all out of wack and the tires had way to much air! BRP Recommends13 LBS in the front tires mine had 23 in the left and 29 in the right. The service Manager told me he was on the phone most of the day on Thursday with BRP Tech Support. And they took pics and documented everything for BRP because they have seen this problem with some of the 2013 ST's it runs a lot better and with very little wander now. The wind still seems to push it around a little but I suspect this is due to the Light weight Shocks. I'll never understand why Brp would put that light of a shock on the ST-S. I will probably change them out some day but for now its 95% better then it was! Thanks again for all the help and support! And Good Riding!!!

Kubie
:doorag:

kubie
02-17-2013, 04:14 PM

Have the New 2013 alignment for the STS done!!!!! And have your service Manager Call tec support they fixed mine! and i had the same problems as you.

NancysToy
02-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Glad you got it taken care of. I'd recommend more than the 13 psi factory recommendation. The tire sidewalls say a minimum of 15 psi (at least for the earlier tires) and that usually is for safety reasons. Most Spyders handle better with a little more air in the front. I'd try something near 17-18 to start...usually no more than 20. Just to set the record staright, airing the tires is the dealer's responsibility during the PDI, so they dropped the ball on that one. As you have seen, unequal front tire pressures can lead to a wild ride...especially when combined with alignment problems. Enjoy the Ryde!

can-am sam
02-17-2013, 11:38 PM
I also have steering problems with my 2013 RT Limited. Detected it on the drive home from the dealer. It is back at the dealer waiting for a solution from BRP. An aligment was done and did not help. So now it being held hostage at the dealer, BRP told my dealer not to release it till it is fixed. The problem starts at speeds above 50mph, varies with the road conditons. Hoping for a quick solution.

NancysToy
02-18-2013, 07:59 AM
I also have steering problems with my 2013 RT Limited. Detected it on the drive home from the dealer. It is back at the dealer waiting for a solution from BRP. An aligment was done and did not help. So now it being held hostage at the dealer, BRP told my dealer not to release it till it is fixed. The problem starts at speeds above 50mph, varies with the road conditons. Hoping for a quick solution.
Hopefully your dealer is aware that the alignment procedure and equipment has changed. Using the old procedure and specs would fail to address the problem. We hope you find an answer soon.

Frank G
02-18-2013, 08:51 AM
When we took delivery of our 2011 RS :shemademe_smilie: it had 27PSI in the front tires. Wild ride, :yikes: could not control it. Did a pressure check and droped to the 17psi. in the front, my what a differant ride. :yes::yes: Dealers need to do better! Allways check there work you never know. :gaah:

DrewNJ
02-18-2013, 12:37 PM
The first thing everyone should check is the front tire pressure....

I never realized how big of a difference the tire pressure makes on the spyder until a few weeks ago when I had my tires moved over to different rims. The tire shop put 32psi in the tires and the ride home was......let's just say.....interesting! It really causes the front end to move around quite a bit! Back to 18psi and everything settled down nicely and back to normal.

Osros
02-19-2013, 09:11 PM
I decided to check my pressures on my ST.

Fronts: 14
Rear: 20

Although I'm not feeling anything wrong with my steering and my first Spyder nothing to compare it too. I'm gonna add air and bring it up to the manual specs of Fronts:15 and Rear: 28. See what happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

daveinva
02-19-2013, 09:42 PM
While dealers should-- natch, MUST-- check the tire PSI during PDI... for the love of everything holy people, it's also clearly the RIDER'S responsibility to check the tire pressure!

T-CLOCS ain't just for two-wheelers, folks.

http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?pagename=RiderCourse%20Interactive%2 0Tour&content=4203CE24-A0CC-53D5-644D54A8CEC335AA&referer=Motorcycle%20Basics

Anyway, I'll echo Scotty-- on the 2010 RS I've had great luck with 18 psi up front, gives me great handling (albeit a bit bumpier than most-- I can deal with the bumps, I refuse to deal with a lack of precision).

JKMSPYDER
02-20-2013, 06:58 AM
What works for me on my ST-S is 18 lbs. front, and 30 lbs. rear. At 65 on the hwy I can take my hands off the handlebar and it tracks straight and true.

docdoru
02-20-2013, 07:21 AM
The Alignment was all out of wack...
Kubie
:doorag:
Can you please be more specific? :coffee:

Osros
02-25-2013, 08:33 PM
When I went to the dealer for 600mile check I ask them to make sure the checked and left the tires at specs from manual. Which I went slight over at

Front:17
Rear: 29

Below is the crop of my bill and the comments of the tire portion and just adds to my confusion on the subject. Mind you I am not having or notice any steering problems.

WTH?

It's been raining I have not ride it since I returned from the dealer but tomorrow I will check what the pressures are.

NancysToy
02-25-2013, 09:46 PM
When I went to the dealer for 600mile check I ask them to make sure the checked and left the tires at specs from manual. Which I went slight over at

Front:17
Rear: 29

Below is the crop of my bill and the comments of the tire portion and just adds to my confusion on the subject. Mind you I am not having or notice any steering problems.

WTH?

It's been raining I have not ride it since I returned from the dealer but tomorrow I will check what the pressures are.
Are the new tires' sidewalls marked with a minimum pressure like the earlier (14") tires were? If so, I would not go below that.

Spydr in KS
02-25-2013, 09:49 PM
I don't have darting, handling is good, but not as great as expected from the new design. Checked and have 13 psi in front. As soon as the the ******* snow melts will try 17 psi! Funny thing is I could always tell on my GS when the tires needed air and on the ST I had no idea they were low. Can't wait to try higher pressure, expect it to rock...

Osros
02-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Are the new tires' sidewalls marked with a minimum pressure like the earlier (14") tires were? If so, I would not go below that.

Yes they are marked 15min to 30max. So I dont know what the deal is with the dealer and pressure of 12psi. I just DL the 2012 RS manual to compare and cold pressure there is 13Min and 17max. ST manual states 15psi +/- 2 psi. Basically the same.

I understand we all have different take on it and what feels best Im just confused why the dealer is so way off. I wondered if dealer has RS specs in mind at first and not looking up new specs for the ST but its basically the same. Anyway I learned a lesson as stated by others check it myself as part of T-CLOS not gonna trust the dealer all out nor do I feel I need to educate them.

azjerry
03-02-2013, 08:23 AM
My wife and I have been shopping for an ST and there is currently a "stop sell" order from Can Am. The RideNow dealer in surprise AZ showed me the paper work from Can Am. There is a problem with the ball joints on some 2013 RT, ST, RS. Can Am has started shipping the new parts to dealers a few days ago and they will fix as the parts come in.

ARtraveler
03-02-2013, 04:45 PM
I am guessing the problem is on the way to being solved. Each dealer is supposed to be shipped a supply of replacement ball joints and to make the required fixes. How long it takes for all that to happen, will determine when you can make the purchase at your dealer.

The upside: 2013's coming out the door from the dealer should be good to go.

Green RSS
03-04-2013, 01:48 AM
I just bought 2 STS on March 2nd. No stop order in my area. Maybe the two we picked out already had the replacement parts?

azjerry
03-04-2013, 08:33 PM
That's interesting. we put a deposit on one but they have to wait for the ball joint fix/parts. No idea how long but they will bump it to the top of the list.

NancysToy
03-04-2013, 09:18 PM
I just bought 2 STS on March 2nd. No stop order in my area. Maybe the two we picked out already had the replacement parts?
Yours may still need attention, just to be on the safe side. Check with your dealer to be sure.

Bob Denman
03-05-2013, 08:13 AM
:agree: It never hurts to ask. :thumbup:

Osros
03-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Is there anyway to check our own VIN #s ourselves for stuff? Just curious

Lamonster
03-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Is there anyway to check our own VIN #s ourselves for stuff? Just curious

No, this is not a safety recall so it won't be posted on the BRP site
http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/owner-center/recall-informations?blogID=0be09df4-c615-4271-9b38-9e1700a19690

Your dealer should be contacting you if you're on the list.

Osros
03-05-2013, 02:06 PM
No, this is not a safety recall so it won't be posted on the BRP site
http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/owner-center/recall-informations?blogID=0be09df4-c615-4271-9b38-9e1700a19690

Your dealer should be contacting you if you're on the list.

Thanks Lamonster, I went ahead and called the dealer and ran my VIN and yes Im due for the fix. They are waiting for BRP to ship them the replacement parts and then they will contact me, so cool now I know for sure. Im not having any issues I can tell hope it stays that way after the fix. :doorag:

Bob Denman
03-05-2013, 02:56 PM
I'm just a tiny bit surprised that a bike that isn't tracking or steering accurately, wouldn't be considered a safety issue... :shocked: :dontknow:

twain
03-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Bob I have to agree with you about this being a safety issue. I think that unless you have one of these defective bikes you really can't get the full picture. Riding on a two lane road with a bike that has a mind of its own is scarier than he'll. All it is going to take, and hopefully this won't happen, is one Spyder rider to get injured or killed with this problem. Then you will see a whole new attitude towards this fix. BRP needs to get on these dealers to step up and be more proactive with their product. I hope the dealers step up and take care of these issues before someone eats seriously injured. I love my Spyder and will not get rid of it but it is the principle of the matter that irks me.

Lamonster
03-05-2013, 04:09 PM
I won't argue the point that its a safety issue but I don't see how BRP can do anything more than they have. The dealers are independent and they can follow BRP's recommendation or not. I can't understand a dealer risking selling a Spyder that may have an issue but as reported here some have.

twain
03-05-2013, 04:18 PM
I agree Lamonster, BRP needs to look at some of dealers and put a fire under them to keep their products in stores. My dealer has done everything I have asked of them but my problem is they should be the one calling me and saying we are going to come and get your bike rather than me calling me to et them know there is a problem. Hopefully all will end well for all those with issues. There is always a risk when buying anything new or improved and Spyders are no different. These issues will pass and everyone will get through it. Just doesn't help the frustration of the moment. Hopefully mine will be 100% this weekend and then off to crawfish boil next weekend in Louisiana. :yes:

Ron Parks
03-24-2013, 06:24 PM
I will be going in for my first service next Friday. Thanks for your postings about alignment and air pressure. I transitioned from a two wheeled bike and I suspect some of the steering issues I have had were to do with the habit of two wheeler riders slightly weaving back and forth to balance the bike. Also, you can be sloppier with your steering and sort of wander around the lane. You can't do that with the Spyder, since it is like a small car, in a way. The steering is very responsive, and I wish it were toned down a little. I have learned that uneven road surfaces cause it to move a little one way or the other, and when there is a low or uneven area where the rear tire tracks, that can cause it to weave a bit, too. I try not to immediately correct it and it usually hits another uneven spot and weaves back a little the other way. It is very easy to over control it. I guess the answer is "less is more", when it comes to steering the Spyder.

Woody
03-24-2013, 06:35 PM

Also make certain that your RTL is NOT subject to the ball joint recall.

Ron Parks
03-31-2013, 05:17 PM
I just had my ST-S break-in service two days ago. While I was there, the Service Manager told me that I should call him in three weeks because there is a re-call for the lower ball joints and replacement ball joints are in the pipeline to the dealers now. They are said to make a big improvement in the steering. It is not a case of worrying about mechanical failure, so much as a design improvement to improve the handling. He made it sound like it was a big improvement in handling.

weapon
04-01-2013, 07:42 AM
It will make a big difference in how smooth the steering performs.
The old ball joint can make the steering delay and when you apply more intup it make you oversteer slightly.

flamingobabe
04-01-2013, 08:56 AM
I picked up my ST March 16th...flew to Branson, MO PitBull Powersports picked me up...about 4 hours later I was off...south to Arkansas to ride around for 6oo miles...back to PitBull for oil change etc....before PitBull let me ride off...he had already changed to ball joints and alignment and installed Elka's...my ST and My dealer is perfect

Ron Parks
04-01-2013, 04:15 PM
I just had my first service on my ST-S last Friday. The Service Manager told me there is a Recall on the lower ball joints of the ST-S and the parts are just getting out to the dealers. He thought his would be in by the third week of April. He said it was supposed to make a big improvement in the steering, and well worth the change. I don't think it is actually a safety issue as it is simply a handling issue. I will be going in to have mine updated as soon as the parts come in.

gcain747
05-01-2013, 11:36 AM
While at Spyder Fest I had Sypder Pops install a Ronjon sway bar on my 2011 RT. Man what a difference. On the ride home (552 miles) the steering was crisp and there was no wandering at all. I have 20k miles on my RT and have always ridden with a very loose grip as I had read everything on Spyder Lovers about riding techinques but the sway bar is well worth the money. I am running factory shocks and I pull a Can Am trailer.

Greg Cain
Birmingham, AL