PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP REMOVING ST SEAT

JKMSPYDER
02-02-2013, 09:29 AM
I will be receiving on Monday the Ultimate seat I ordered last week. Trying to figure out how to remove the stock seat. I did see daveinva's post dated 9/17/11 about removing the stock seat on an RS. I think I have everything figured out except how to remove the triangular piece directly behind the seat to get to the screws. The post said to remove the back panel by depressing the four tabs (two on each side) to pop out the panel. I can't see any tabs by looking under the seat with a flashlight. Any help would be appreciated.612486124961250Since I am mechanically challenged, a photo of the tabs or where they are located would be appreciated.​

coz
02-02-2013, 10:02 AM
check to see if tailpiece removal is covered in your owners manual. i have a sport rack, so i don't know.
the piston un-snaps, the sensor un-plugs and un-screws. ratchet wrenches reach the bolts easily.:thumbup: is your stock st seat uncomfortable ? haven't heard much about them yet.

JKMSPYDER
02-02-2013, 11:16 AM
No mention of how to remove tailpiece in owners manual. Stock seat is a little uncomfortable, plus I wanted a backrest. I downloaded the installation sheet from Ultimate Seats. All it says about removing the stock seat is to consult the owners manual, so I'm back to square one. My dealer says he can install it when I have my 600 mile service done next week, but trying to avoid the charge and also, how will I carry the new seat on the back of my Spyder??? I will receive it Monday by UPS and I'm afraid it will be a very large box. I guess as a last resort, my wife can follow me to the dealer (90 miles away) with the new seat in her car. I would also have to strap the old seat to my Spyder or put it in her car on the way back. Have to ship it back to Ultimate Seats to avoid a $250 core charge. Any super mechanics out there???:banghead::gaah:

Bob Denman
02-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Have you poked around under it's belly while you've got it tipped up? There've got to be some hinges back there somewhere; it's the getting to them that's the fun part!
I've got an RT; no help here other than encouragement for you... Good Luck! :thumbup:

Spydr in KS
02-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Instructions are with the sport rack. I can send it later today. If I remember the tabs are on top by the taillight lenses

Iamjoey
02-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Drop the panel above the rear tire and look up in there.

JKMSPYDER
02-02-2013, 02:29 PM
What a job!!! Finally got the seat removed, but had to remove the panel under the rear seat and taillights. Then had to remove the panels that hold the turn signals to get to the torx screws that hold on each brake light. There is a screw at the front and rear of each brake light. Once the brake lights came off, I was able to push in and up the two tabs on each side of the top panel (the one behind the seat) and it popped off. Then I was able to get to the main bolts to remove the seat. If any of you need to remove the seat on an ST, it is not an easy job, but can be done.:yes::clap:612776127861279

Tx web rider
02-02-2013, 02:42 PM
while you have it down that far you might want to look up a post on here for modifying the brake lights for easier removal and replacement of the blubs

here it is

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ace+tail+light (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13303&highlight=replace+tail+light)

ARtraveler
02-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Glad to hear you got the problem solved. That is what scares me off of self-farkling. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-02-2013, 04:05 PM
"Self farkling"?? :shocked:
You make it sound so... wicked! :roflblack:

I've been farkling around in the garage...
Go farkle yourself!
What the farkle??
:joke::joke::joke:

ARtraveler
02-02-2013, 04:27 PM
You know what I meant. ??? :roflblack:

I posted my mechanical abilities in some other threads. :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
02-02-2013, 04:38 PM
You're still WAY better at it than I am! :thumbup:

EzeSpyderGA
02-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Well, I have to admit it, you are now officially a real Spyder owner. :bowdown: Once you have removed a few bolts, plastic panels and such, you have passed the final test. From this point on, you have no boundries on working on your new ST.:yes::yes::clap::clap:

JKMSPYDER
02-02-2013, 06:54 PM
I guess another test of my mechanical abilities will come Monday when my new seat comes in. If I can get all the bolts and screws back in the right place and get the new seat to open and close properly, then I can call myself an amateur mechanic!!:roflblack:

ARtraveler
02-02-2013, 07:02 PM
A hint on installing the new seat. Put a towel down or something like that to make sure that if you drop a nut, bolt, screw, or tool, it does not fall into the bowels of the :ani29:. Items entering that twilight zone usually disappear forever.