PDA

View Full Version : Brake Failure message

Bumblebee67
01-31-2013, 09:11 PM
Had a Brake Failure message come scrolling across the screen today while out riding. I stopped at the nearest parts store and bought a can of brake fluid. I topped off all the resivoirs and still have the message scrolling. Is there a sensor that maybe has gone out? I have not lost any brake pedal. I have a 08' GS SM5. I park on a concrete floor and there is no fluid on the floor. :helpsmilie::dontknow::helpsmilie:

otter28169
01-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Are your pads worn down? I read somewhere that it can be an issue.:dontknow:

NancysToy
01-31-2013, 09:48 PM
Either call up the active fault code display, or get to a dealer have him check with BUDS (which will be necessary to address most codes and test what they say, anyway.) Could be due to low brake pressure, which is nothing to fool with.

otter28169
01-31-2013, 09:55 PM
Either call up the active fault code display, or get to a dealer have him check with BUDS (which will be necessary to address most codes and test what they say, anyway.) Could be due to low brake pressure, which is nothing to fool with.

:agree: You should listen to him.........he's pre-med.

Seriously, this man knows bikes.

currin20fan
01-31-2013, 10:16 PM
:agree: You should listen to him.........he's pre-med.

Seriously, this man knows bikes.

And that's why he is known as the "Professor". :yes:

Chupaca
01-31-2013, 11:40 PM
Could be wear limit. How many miles on pads etc. Listen to Scotty check codes and or dealer..:lecturef_smilie:

Cavman
01-31-2013, 11:49 PM
I had the brake failure message a couple of weeks ago on my RT. That sure was a pretty color of orange wasn't it? Now I just have the blinking brake light even when the brake is not set.

It was self inflicted as I had to release the brake cable in order to change the rear pads.

But do what they are saying. Check the pads and/or visit the dealer.

AMTJIM
02-02-2013, 10:19 AM
I caused one about a month ago when someone tried to piggyback through the security gate. Resevoirs were full, no pressure loss on the pedal as code indicated. Three on/off clicks of the ignition key and it cleared.

Tierhog
02-19-2013, 07:07 PM
I know this thread is old, however I had the same issue during hard braking. I discovered the floats...well one of them were stuck. I poked it, topped off the fluid and no more messages. Apparently the fluid would move forward when low and trip the sensor..which was already between the two "ponds". Anyway...hope that helps. :)

FIRECAT
08-25-2013, 11:29 PM
My sensor went on today my bike continues to eat brake fluid in the front reservoir topped it up it's still on I think my pads are done 50,000 Kms/ 31,000 miles what do you guys think?

NancysToy
08-26-2013, 07:03 AM
My sensor went on today my bike continues to eat brake fluid in the front reservoir topped it up it's still on I think my pads are done 50,000 Kms/ 31,000 miles what do you guys think?
You have a leak in your brake system. Have your Spyder servivced right away! This is a potentially very serious situation. nojoke