PDA

View Full Version : Len's Pitbull Brackets - Initial Ride Review

rcantrell52
01-31-2013, 08:59 PM
Our RS-S and RT-S were both used to help design the prototype for Len’s bracket for suspension improvement. This was developed by a mechanical engineer who is known by the powersports manufacturers as a source for after-market performance products. He is well known to John at Elka who is responsible for introducing Len and providing a gateway for Len’s concept for the brackets to come into existence. The RT-S has Elka shocks and RS-S has RT shocks.

The brackets on our Spyders were either the 6th or 7th attempt at developing this product. These brackets are manufactured from aluminum 6061. One of the goals was that the bracket should be installed with as little effort as possible. The RS-S was the initial model used for determining the installation procedure. The front of the Spyder was disassembled. Once the installation process was refined, the brackets were placed on the RT-S without any disassembling of the front end.

We rode the Spyders home (approximately 200 miles) but had to go through Dallas/Ft. Worth area to do so. I rode the RT-S and my son rode the RS-S (he’s ridden this one before and was impressed with the change in handling due to the brackets). All the riding was done on the interstate and we had to do some of it at night with limited visibility because of fog. My first impression about the brackets was that the suspension was tighter. I found the Spyder riding true when I passed or was passed by trucks, I did not have any stability problems nor did the bike act differently. Riding behind an 18-wheeler in the turbulence zone did not affect the Spyder’s handling. The handling characteristics on interstate roads have improved with the brackets.

My wife and I rode Monday for about 60 miles on the back roads of East Texas. These roads have some good twisties so we were able to test the new suspension. The RS (remember) has the RT shocks on the front and now the new Pitbull Brackets. We’ve owned the RS-S longer than the RT-S but put fewer miles on it. I’ve always felt that the RT-S handled the corners better than the RS-S. The addition of the brackets and RT shocks has increased my confidence in my ability to take the RS-S on corners. My impression is the ride handles very well, does not seem to have any additional susceptibility to bumps or vibrations from the road. The road we traveled Monday is one I've ridden several times. The RS handled very well in the curves and I believe the combination of the shocks and brackets is a big improvement over the RS shocks. It will be interesting, given the baseline, how the RS will do with the new brackets and the Elka shocks.

My wife was very pleased with her ride on the RT and she felt it handled in a much more stable manner with the new brackets than on previous rides without them. I'll ride the RT on the same route within the next several days and get back with you on my impression

Reese

Dochands
01-31-2013, 10:10 PM
For those of us who would like to know, what exactly do these brackets do? I have Elkas and don't understand.

BajaRon
01-31-2013, 10:13 PM
For those of us who would like to know, what exactly do these brackets do? I have Elkas and don't understand.

The brackets simply move the top mounting position for the shocks.

currin20fan
01-31-2013, 10:15 PM

I have the 2011 RT limited. :dontknow: about these brackets and the RT. But I do have the Elka's from Len.

Bandit
01-31-2013, 11:44 PM
It is my understanding (which is questionable), that the new brackets move the top mounting position to the "outside" of the bike. This pushes the shock to a more verticle position (plumb), which makes the shock work more efficiently. Hope this helps. :doorag:

Bob Denman
02-01-2013, 07:58 AM
Thanks for a clear and concise explanation of how they made the bikes feel. :clap: :2thumbs:

jScotD
02-02-2013, 09:00 PM
question/ I have read the pre 2013's seemed to wander a bit at freeway speeds.. have these brackets eliminated that?

NancysToy
02-02-2013, 09:25 PM
question/ I have read the pre 2013's seemed to wander a bit at freeway speeds.. have these brackets eliminated that?
The 2013 suspension is different. These are for the earlier Spyders. Moving the upper shock mount outboard on those has had a positive effect. These brackets just make the connection stronger and the modification easier.

pitbull
02-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Scotty's correct on this one, but Elkas will make a difference. :thumbup: On the 13s Elkas really really shine. Taking the Spyder from great to awesome in 4 bolts!

SethO
02-03-2013, 01:24 AM
I will take a set.

kinggeek
02-03-2013, 07:33 AM
How much?

Bob Denman
02-03-2013, 08:14 AM
I have a feeling that Len had best have a whole PILE of these babies ready for installation when the party starts! :2thumbs:

ulflyer
02-03-2013, 08:21 AM
I want a set ASAP before I trundle 1000 mi across KY on secondary roads to Spyderfest! nojoke

Bob Denman
02-03-2013, 08:45 AM
Actually; so do I! :thumbup:

jScotD
02-03-2013, 06:41 PM
I think we all do.. those of us pre 2013

Pappy John
02-03-2013, 07:30 PM
A picture taken from directly in front might help me to understand what these brackets accomplish. I tried to find a manufacturer source, but came up blank. Nothing relevent came up on a google search except for this thread.

Sarge707
02-03-2013, 09:55 PM
A picture taken from directly in front might help me to understand what these brackets accomplish. I tried to find a manufacturer source, but came up blank. Nothing relevent came up on a google search except for this thread.

I Think we need a LOT more ride reviews to be able to successfully evaluate a Product as there may be some Negative Trade Offs in the bargain if a rider is tooo Aggresive??? :dontknow:

kevorama
02-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Hey, I'm MOGANG and I don't even have a set yet. Hopefully, they'll be here in a few weeks. I'm sure that Len has a large order in the works. The poor boy is only getting an hour of sleep a night, or day, depending on when he gets that free hour. You all will be blown away at this year's event. After seeing all of the venues yesterday, I'm totally jazzed!!! :thumbup:

See thread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?48425-SpyderFest-2013-Venue-Pics-and-Coordinates

pitbull
02-03-2013, 11:03 PM
We have tested this to the max, I never want to put out anything that is unsafe or no benefits, I only a small number coming in on the first initial order but then have a large order following it up, it's a simple mod that we have been doing for over 6 months with no issues on various spyders around the country, only now with this bracket the install is so much Easier and stronger than what we have been doing. The suspension company we choose to use had a big reputation in the industry at producing products like this. I trust you will like the difference and looking forward to having them in my hands.
We are pretty excited to have them on the market.

bluestratos
02-04-2013, 01:47 PM
I was wondering what the science or math is behind this change, in looking at the new shock position it appears it makes it slightly more vertical but the change seems to be very small in comparison the existing angle. I have done a lot of suspension changes to my 2011 RT and while accumativley they make a difference no one change was really noticible by itself.

Chupaca
02-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Let us know when they will be available to joe public...:thumbup: please..!!

rcdurango
02-04-2013, 05:42 PM
We have tested this to the max, I never want to put out anything that is unsafe or no benefits, I only a small number coming in on the first initial order but then have a large order following it up, it's a simple mod that we have been doing for over 6 months with no issues on various spyders around the country, only now with this bracket the install is so much Easier and stronger than what we have been doing. The suspension company we choose to use had a big reputation in the industry at producing products like this. I trust you will like the difference and looking forward to having them in my hands.
We are pretty excited to have them on the market.

You know, If Len says to me that this will make a difference on my Spyder I'm on board with that. Put me down for one! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-04-2013, 06:01 PM
If Len says to me that this will make a difference on my Spyder I'm on board with that.

That's kind of what I was figuring also! :thumbup: :agree: