PDA

View Full Version : Sport Rack removal

Pappy John
01-30-2013, 08:40 PM
I've got a downloaded copy of the 2012 service manual that I normally work by on other stuff, but it doesn't address the RS sport rack at all. I know it's bolted on a lot more solidly than the stock tail piece that is covered in the manual, but I don't know where to start taking this thing off. I had it installed by the dealer as an option before I bought the bike, which explains my ignorance.

I'm going to swap out my seat in the near future, so I think I have to remove this rack to get to the seat hinge.

I know a few members here have installed these themselves. Does anyone still have a hardcopy of the install instructions that they can scan and e-mail to me so I can have some reference to go by while attempting removal?

DrewNJ
01-30-2013, 09:06 PM
Don't have the instructions anymore but off of memory
-remove the top cover plate/backrest
-remove the bottom rack U shaped plate between the tail lights. 2 silver allen head bolts (one on each side looking up) and the single middle black torx.
-Unhook the cable from the sport rack latch right on the back of the rack.
-Remove the 4 bolts from inside the sport rack looking down. Remove the rack.
-This should give you access to the bottom of the long torx bolt that goes through the middle of the seat bracket. The other seat bracket bolts you can get to once you unhook the shock and tilt the seat all the way up.
You may have to remove the splash shield above the rear tire via the 6 torx (3 at each side).....don't remember as my rear fender is different than yours....

Good Luck!

Chupaca
01-30-2013, 10:01 PM
You will have to remove the lower cover plate on the rack (2) screws. The screw at the end of the splash pan.Now remove the (4) bolts at the bottom of the rack tray. This will give you access to the extrusion plate. If you need to remove the nut and bold from this plate you will need to remove the splash pan. If you should need to remove the extrusion plate you will need to remove both side panels to get to the nut and bolt that goes thru the frame. good luck :thumbup:

Pappy John
01-31-2013, 05:33 AM
Thanks, guys. That's just what I needed.:thumbup:

teadave
01-31-2013, 07:37 AM
Are you sure that the rack needs removal? I do not remember removing mine when i changed out the stock seat for the brp comfort seat.

wildtexasrangr
01-31-2013, 12:59 PM
I have the hard copy still just put mine on the ST. There is 1 bolt that's under the back fender that goes to the back of the last bolt in the seat frame and has a nut on it. Mine looks like you DON'T need to remove to put on another seat .I will tell you this, have someone watch for u underneath when you go to remove the plastic nut on the cable. That sucker falls into the abyss every time. Lost mine 3 times and still don't know where it was hiding shook the bike like crazy and it fell out on the ground.:banghead: Hope this helps. If you still need the copy pm me ur e-mail

wyliec
01-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Are you sure that the rack needs removal? I do not remember removing mine when i changed out the stock seat for the brp comfort seat.

I removed my stock seat to be reupholstered and I believe you are correct.

coz
01-31-2013, 05:42 PM
ive changed seats several times without removing the sport rack. ratchet wrenches make it fairly easy:thumbup:

Pappy John
01-31-2013, 07:30 PM
Okay.... I'll look at the rear of the seat area again. I was just going by the shop manual. Him say to remove tail piece first to gain access to the hinge pin, before yanking same, thus freeing the seat.

I assume removing this bolt you speak of lets you remove hinge, seat, and all as a unit?

kman
02-01-2013, 06:38 AM
I didn't have to remove my rack either to install Corbin seat.

Pappy John
02-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Okay...now I see..... the bracket that the gas shock mounts to is also the same piece that the hinge pin runs through. Three bolts and the whole shebang is now loose for removal.

I needed to stop looking at the removal instructions in the manual and just look at the parts list exploded drawing to figure out what needed to be done. It was so much easier than thier suggested procedure led you to believe.:banghead:

Twenty years of working on Xerox equipment should have taught me to ignore the documentation if I wanted to get the job done.

jtpollock
03-07-2013, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=Pappy John;567328]I've got a downloaded copy of the 2012 service manual that I normally work by on other stuff, but it doesn't address the RS sport rack at all. I know it's bolted on a lot more solidly than the stock tail piece that is covered in the manual, but I don't know where to start taking this thing off. I had it installed by the dealer as an option before I bought the bike, which explains my ignorance.

I'm going to swap out my seat in the near future, so I think I have to remove this rack to get to the seat hinge.

I know a few members here have installed these themselves. Does anyone still have a hardcopy of the install instructions that they can scan and e-mail to me so I can have some reference to go by while attempting removal?[/QUOTE Be careful when you put it back together you dont pinch the release cable or you will be buying a new cable and doing the job all over again :banghead::banghead: this happened to mine at the shop when they modified my seat good luck keep the rubber side down.]

Texmac1011
03-07-2013, 08:46 PM
See if this helps..................

http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/topic/9713-sport-rack-install-instructions-here-they-are/