PDA

View Full Version : Got my 2013 Can Am Spyder RSS SE5!!!!

cargasm
01-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Hi All. New to the forums but have been watching for quite a while. As of Friday, 1/25/13, the dealership called and said my special order 2013 Spyder RSS was in and ready for pickup. :2thumbs: I put together a quick video so you guys could check it out:

http://youtu.be/xUWlgoepKFk

I sold a 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa to have something the wife/daughter and I could enjoy. This is going to take some getting used to. I find the front end weaves on me on the freeway. Not sure if I need to tighten up the stiffness on the shocks or not, but the ride is phenomenal. Enjoy!

otter28169
01-28-2013, 08:11 PM
That is the hottest color scheme available on any spyder. Very nice choice, the RS-S. I hope you and your family enjoy it:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

cyclelover63
01-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Congratulations on your new Spyder!!...I love the color and changes BRP has made,especially the cruise control and cluster...I have a GS 2009...I'm just curious..Did you test drive the new ST and why did you decide on the GSS?..Again,I love your new bike!!:clap:

Ken Thomas
01-28-2013, 08:27 PM
Hi All. New to the forums but have been watching for quite a while. As of Friday, 1/25/13, the dealership called and said my special order 2013 Spyder RSS was in and ready for pickup. :2thumbs: I put together a quick video so you guys could check it out:

I sold a 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa to have something the wife/daughter and I could enjoy. This is going to take some getting used to. I find the front end weaves on me on the freeway. Not sure if I need to tighten up the stiffness on the shocks or not, but the ride is phenomenal. Enjoy!

I LOVE YOUR BIKE !!!

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

ARtraveler
01-28-2013, 08:30 PM
:congrats: on the new ryde. I really like the color scheme. Your gonna like it a lot. :thumbup:

As Bob D. would say: "let the farkling begin".

JJW SpyderRider
01-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Nice video :thumbup: With all the hype about the ST the RSS has not had as much coverage. After seeing your video I can see BRP has really stepped up the RSS nicely as well :ohyea::clap:

Enjoy the new ride:yes:

Wright2743
01-29-2013, 12:21 AM
Nice video :thumbup: With all the hype about the ST the RSS has not had as much coverage. After seeing your video I can see BRP has really stepped up the RSS nicely as well :ohyea::clap:

Enjoy the new ride:yes:

:thumbup: great looking:spyder2: & welcome

cargasm
01-29-2013, 01:32 AM
Thanks all for the kind words. :D

spydrluvr
01-29-2013, 04:02 AM
:congrats: and :welcome: beautiful ryde!!! Enjoy !!:yes::yes:

chris56
01-29-2013, 04:24 AM
Looks great (RSS or ST ?) are the Shocks adjustable ??

NancysToy
01-29-2013, 07:32 AM
:congrats:

Lamonster
01-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Looking good :congrats:

FaranH
01-29-2013, 08:24 AM
Awesome! That's the same color I have on my 2011. Great choice ;)

Enjoy!

Bob Denman
01-29-2013, 08:31 AM
"AK" beat me to it, so :welcome: and :congrats: :roflblack:

cargasm
01-29-2013, 09:10 AM

Hi Chris. It's a RSS. Fox racing shocks - fully adjustable. Thinking about stiffening them up to 5 and putting tires at 20 psi. I read somewhere this helps the front stability substantially. The "weaving" feeling on the freeway I get is not too confidence inspiring, hehe.

cargasm
01-29-2013, 09:12 AM

Enjoy!

Hi Faranh. Yes, the color is beautiful! Only difference is the entire bike is a satin finish, not gloss. Hopefully this means it is easier to maintain too. Time will tell.

weapon
01-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Quote: (I find the front end weaves on me on the freeway)

Hi Cargasm.
Get the front end alignment checked. Lamont has said some 2013's have alignment isues.

weapon
01-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Oh and I forgot to say that is a great looking spyder.:thumbup:

mcaccamise
01-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Congrats on your new purchase i to love the color as a matter of fact i tryed to find a 2011 in that color but had to settle for the 2012 Black and silver RSS SM5.
The alignment seems to be inherent on some 13 modles so as Lamont says have it checked out at the Dealer also the Rons sway bar would be a viable addition to firm up the handling and cornering the farkleing begins.
Mike

Neez
01-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Great review! I would love to see a comparo between the ST and the RS-S, from a (mostly) sport rider's perspective. Right now the RSS looks best to me.

Sarge707
01-29-2013, 12:44 PM
:clap:Thanks for the Video!! Nice Bike!

Have the dealer check the allignment because it should feel more stable at 80 than 60 MPH in my experience!!

Chupaca
01-29-2013, 12:48 PM
:welcome:Great video...better that the shows just can't touch it. Congrats I know your family will love it. My wife and daughter battle for ryde time....ryde on :thumbup:

Spydr in KS
01-29-2013, 01:23 PM
That is the hottest color scheme available on any spyder. Very nice choice, the RS-S. I hope you and your family enjoy it:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Wish that color scheme was available on an ST!

bullant12
01-29-2013, 01:36 PM
:congrats:I was under the impression that 2013 RS's were not going to be avaliable until later in the spring. Nice work from your dealer!!!

sealfloorboards
01-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Great looking bike. Super job on the video. I know you, your wife and daughter will love it.

Ride in comfort,
John
Seal Floorboards

weapon
01-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Wish that color scheme was available on an ST!

Me too:(

cargasm
01-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Quote: (I find the front end weaves on me on the freeway)

Hi Cargasm.
Get the front end alignment checked. Lamont has said some 2013's have alignment isues.

Thanks Weapon. I will do that. While it is in there, I will have them adjust the fox racing shocks too to stiffen up the ride (to 4-5). Even though they are new for 2013, I am sure they could benefit from the same adjustments as previous year models. Also, will make sure the tire pressure on the fronts are 20-21 lbs.

GloryRyders
01-30-2013, 07:34 AM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your new :spyder:...................Lookin' good!:yes:

retired1
01-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Cargasm;
I'd make sure that with the change in the tire size, I would check on thr recommended pressure for the new tire size.

cargasm
01-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Cargasm;
I'd make sure that with the change in the tire size, I would check on thr recommended pressure for the new tire size.

Thanks Retired1, I am bringing it back to the shop tonight to get them to check it out completely.

cargasm
02-01-2013, 08:58 PM
So, took the Spyder to the dealership and explained the uneasy feeling I was getting at speed. I thought it was me to begin with and that I just wasn't used to the front end with 2 wheels instead of the 1 on my Busa. They had it all day long and even switched off between my RSS and a ST to really get a good comparison. The issue ended up being the front end out of alignment. I think someone on this forum said to have them check for that - you were right! :thumbup:

It feels MUCH better now and I am happy with the results! I even had them stiffen up the suspension by 1 click too since they were going to have it up in the air. Can't wait to take it out for a long ride now with the wife and start racking up some miles. :clap:

cargasm
02-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Congratulations on your new Spyder!!...I love the color and changes BRP has made,especially the cruise control and cluster...I have a GS 2009...I'm just curious..Did you test drive the new ST and why did you decide on the GSS?..Again,I love your new bike!!:clap:

cyclelover63 - I sold a 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa to get the Spyder. I am in law enforcement, so I really don't need to be going that fast anyways. Also, with an 8 year old daughter, my wife and I wanted to get back into doing what we used to do - traveling all over and watching the motorcycle races. Since I came from a sporty background, I opted to go with the RSS for the handling and its look. The wife will most likely go with the ST with my daughter. She is looking forward to hers too. Then it's just a matter of getting a trailer that will hold both of them really nicely for those super long trips. Anyone have any good thoughts on trailers for 2 spyders you would recommend?

cargasm
02-01-2013, 09:05 PM

RSS - Fully adjustable Fox Racing Shocks.

3 wheeler
02-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Wow your new RSS is sweet! :thumbup:

cargasm
02-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Wow your new RSS is sweet! :thumbup:

Thanks 3 wheeler :D

RotaxDuramax
02-10-2013, 04:02 AM
Wow, very impressive! Dang it though, makes me wanna upgrade already! But, audio on the RS model? Or is it cause it's a shared instrument cluster?

rc51ny
02-10-2013, 05:29 AM
Congrats on the new Spyder. I too am a 'busa owner--

Laila's Dad
02-10-2013, 05:42 AM

Very nice! It is good to see a RS-S review here for the 2013 models. I would say majority of the posts I have seen have been geared to the ST-S which makes since because they are really nice but even after seeing the new RS-S and the ST-S at the motorcycle show I still was in love with the RS-S. The added cruise control was a "cherry on top" of an already great tasting sundae. For me the sporty look of the front of the RS seals the deal. A couple of added "farkles" and it is perfect to me. Congrats!!!

cargasm
02-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Wow, very impressive! Dang it though, makes me wanna upgrade already! But, audio on the RS model? Or is it cause it's a shared instrument cluster?

On the color display, 2nd icon from the left is audio. The dealer was explaining that if you wanted to add an ipod or whatever, this is what would control it. All the buttons on the left handle bar (up, down, left, right) would allow you to switch tracks, etc.

cargasm
02-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Very nice! It is good to see a RS-S review here for the 2013 models. I would say majority of the posts I have seen have been geared to the ST-S which makes since because they are really nice but even after seeing the new RS-S and the ST-S at the motorcycle show I still was in love with the RS-S. The added cruise control was a "cherry on top" of an already great tasting sundae. For me the sporty look of the front of the RS seals the deal. A couple of added "farkles" and it is perfect to me. Congrats!!!

Thanks! That cruise control works very well. Could have used it on the Busa as it vibrated my hands til they started to fall asleep. The Can Am however is amazingly smooth, fox racing suspension just soaks up even big bumps or irregularities in the road. On long trips when you need to use your right hand for something, it is nice to have the option of doing so without deaccelerating. :)

RotaxDuramax
02-11-2013, 05:12 AM
Thanks! That cruise control works very well. Could have used it on the Busa as it vibrated my hands til they started to fall asleep. The Can Am however is amazingly smooth, fox racing suspension just soaks up even big bumps or irregularities in the road. On long trips when you need to use your right hand for something, it is nice to have the option of doing so without deaccelerating. :)

That is the biggest problem I have with mine, and that's the hand going numb... makes trying to get to the dealer a pain sometimes. But I got new grips that are supposed to help, and has a place to use your palm and stretch your fingers out. Can't wait to try it!

donec
02-11-2013, 02:04 PM
:welcome:Excellent video. :congrats:on your sweet ride.

cargasm
02-15-2013, 06:31 PM
For anyone who recently got a 2013 RSS and the front end feels like it is swaying all over the place. Take it back to the dealer, get a front-end alignment. I had them do this, stiffen up the shocks by 1 click and I have the front tires inflated to 20 psi now. Just got back on a 2 hour ride with the wife and it feels like an entirely different bike. I am really happy now. Was a little scary getting it all dialed in and thinking all Spyders acted like that normally. Thank goodness that wasn't the case. :thumbup:

spydaman60
02-15-2013, 07:15 PM
nice bike!!! :thumbup: lots of good advice listed above. my two cents worth is lighten up on the hold you have on the grips. iso grips are great too:thumbup:. check out the alignment and rebalance the wheels if need be. whatever you do, don't use the beads in your tires!!!:thumbup:

OneBadPenny
03-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Here is my 11 out at Bonneville Salt Flats on the way to the owners event.

rjetsrick
03-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Hi , I've bought the exact same one but haven't been able to pick up yet due to weather... just waiting for me in the dealer shop...
Tomorrow I'll ask them to do an alignment and check the tire pressure ... THANKS, although I wouldn't be able to feel the difference as never driven a bike or even got to take a test drive on the Spyder... just gonna wing it... I did buy a GoPro video cam to film the ride home... Now that will be interesting but I'll take my time.

I too loved the color and it also closely matches my 2008 Vette in Atomic Orange.

My question for you and knowing you've ridden lots , you've chosen to tighten up front shock... what was the factory setting and what do you weigh as I'm 275 lbs and 6'3" so I may have to tighten shocks ... How would I know if this is the case... does it just give the feeling of too much forward drop when hitting the brakes or was it something else

I probably will get a chance to pick up this week if weather agrees, I have owned extremely fast snowmobiles and Seadoos so not put off by the speed but would like to figure tuning correctly for my size..

Any thoughts from you would be helpful

Bob Denman
03-03-2013, 08:30 PM
:welcome: Your experience on snowmobiles will aid you greatly in the transition... Take your time getting the feel of how the bike handles weight transfer in the turns and you'll do just fine. :thumbup:
The stock shocks have five preload settings. They are delivered with the preload set in position 3... Try it as delivered, but you might want to take it up to 4 or 5 to increase the preload on the springs...

Bonniele
03-05-2013, 02:47 PM

We just talked to a trucker/spyder ryder and he said add more tire air...sometimes needs more than what they say...we will add about 3 lbs and see what happens.

Bonniele
03-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Great looking bike. Super job on the video. I know you, your wife and daughter will love it.

Ride in comfort,
John
Seal Floorboards

We are sure enjoying ours. We have 2400 miles now and are still learning new things about how to ride it...I sleep so much better with all that fresh air.

MikeinGA
03-05-2013, 05:17 PM
:welcome:The fun will now begin!

Mike

cargasm
03-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Hi , I've bought the exact same one but haven't been able to pick up yet due to weather... just waiting for me in the dealer shop...
Tomorrow I'll ask them to do an alignment and check the tire pressure ... THANKS, although I wouldn't be able to feel the difference as never driven a bike or even got to take a test drive on the Spyder... just gonna wing it... I did buy a GoPro video cam to film the ride home... Now that will be interesting but I'll take my time.

I too loved the color and it also closely matches my 2008 Vette in Atomic Orange.

My question for you and knowing you've ridden lots , you've chosen to tighten up front shock... what was the factory setting and what do you weigh as I'm 275 lbs and 6'3" so I may have to tighten shocks ... How would I know if this is the case... does it just give the feeling of too much forward drop when hitting the brakes or was it something else

I probably will get a chance to pick up this week if weather agrees, I have owned extremely fast snowmobiles and Seadoos so not put off by the speed but would like to figure tuning correctly for my size..

Any thoughts from you would be helpful

Bob already replied to part of this. I am also 6'3" and weigh 225. I found the front end a tad mushy for me, which is why I asked them to go up 1 click on the front to make it more stiff. I almost always have my wife on the back. We recently took it for a ride out through the Valley of Fire, right outside of Las Vegas. Inside there is a very very twisty road with decreasing radius turns, dips, etc. We ended up bottoming out in one section because I was pushing it sort of hard. I have went through that same road on a ZX-11, CBR900RR and every bike felt very unstable in there. The spyder sucked up the road like no one's business besides the one incident.

When I took the spyder in for its 600 mile checkup, I asked them to check the bottom to make sure everything was ok. They replaced my ball joints as part of a new recall. They also informed me that the rear shock is non-adjustable and is rated for up to 450 pounds. 2 of the guys at the shop jumped on it to test the shock. Unless they tried really hard, they couldn't make it bottom out. I explained the road had a LOT to do with it and as long as there was no damage, I was cool with it. Just wanted to share that info. By the way....my Akropovich exhaust is slated for March 27th. I will post another quick video of it on this thread once I get it so everyone can see/hear what it is all about. :)

Iride
03-10-2013, 06:49 PM

Enjoy!

+1
My 2011 is the only one I've seen (locally) in that color and it really draws good comments.

Congrats!

rjetsrick
03-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Cargasm... How do you find the depth of the seat ... is there enough room or would a little more be more comfortable...I think I would like to lengthen the seat about 2 inches.... I will be driving solo all the time so was also thinking of adding a backrest and cover for the back seat... I think a nice custom seat with some orange in it would heat it up a bit... weather cold till Thursday so hope to finally get to drive it Thursday or Friday... can't wait really want to capture the thrill of driving

cargasm
03-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Cargasm... How do you find the depth of the seat ... is there enough room or would a little more be more comfortable...I think I would like to lengthen the seat about 2 inches.... I will be driving solo all the time so was also thinking of adding a backrest and cover for the back seat... I think a nice custom seat with some orange in it would heat it up a bit... weather cold till Thursday so hope to finally get to drive it Thursday or Friday... can't wait really want to capture the thrill of driving

Coming from a background of a Kawasaki ZX-11, Honda CBR900RR and just recently a Suzuki Hayabusa, the seat is extremely comfortable! My wife who had a tailbone injury a long time ago could not ride on the sportbikes for prolonged periods of time due to extreme pain. She is tickled pink with the comfort of the stock seat. Of course, I have seen others saying there is a "comfort seat" available that is supposed to make it as comfortable as a couch, LOL, but I have yet to try it myself. Maybe Corbin could do you up a custom seat and possibly match the color of the RSS? Have you reached out to them as of yet?

rjetsrick
03-19-2013, 03:22 PM
No have not tried Corbin but will try... If you were riding solo and for yourself only, do you think shortening the back passenger depth would be any more comfortable for 6'3"

rjetsrick
03-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Just called Corbin and they don't have the mold for the 2013 ...so if I will ship my bike out to California they would give me a free seat... I don't think so...
Good try thou..

cargasm
03-27-2013, 06:49 PM
No have not tried Corbin but will try... If you were riding solo and for yourself only, do you think shortening the back passenger depth would be any more comfortable for 6'3"

If I were to go to another seat, just based on what I have read in the forums, it would be to the "Comfort Seat". You may want to ask you local Spyder shop if they have a regularly scheduled ride that everyone participates in and see if someone else has one of these before you invest your money.

SporterSpider
03-27-2013, 07:02 PM
:congrats:on the new RSS and :welcome: Ride Safe & Long!

vtspyder
03-28-2013, 05:59 AM
My favorite color scheme! Congratulations, Welcome and awesome Spyder!:thumbup:

spyderman526
03-31-2013, 11:17 PM
Nice.color I had a 2011 rss black & silver. I installed elka shocks raised the tire.presure in front to 24psi put a falken 912 rear tire @ 26psi. am 6.1 225 and I went to the 421 the snake & 129 the dragon had a ball playing with sport cruisers and harleys. have the dealer check the alignment and the ball joints. I now own a 2013 STS it handles really good but my rss with the elks and other refinements is a little better, getting ready to make some changes.and instal some elkas.then we will see.....

cargasm
04-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Nice.color I had a 2011 rss black & silver. I installed elka shocks raised the tire.presure in front to 24psi put a falken 912 rear tire @ 26psi. am 6.1 225 and I went to the 421 the snake & 129 the dragon had a ball playing with sport cruisers and harleys. have the dealer check the alignment and the ball joints. I now own a 2013 STS it handles really good but my rss with the elks and other refinements is a little better, getting ready to make some changes.and instal some elkas.then we will see.....

Have you ridden a 2013 RSS yet? I wonder how the Elks compares to the newer suspension?

Kratos
04-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Congrats. I have a 2012 and seeing the upgrades on the 13 makes me jealous, especially the cruise control!

hollylmh
04-18-2013, 07:38 AM
Suggest "lightning up on holding the handle bars" -- let the Spyder steer itself.