PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a 7x57 Ackley Imp.

mowin
01-28-2013, 12:13 PM
609436094460945Went to a neighbors estate sale got a bunch of tools and this
sporterized Mauser 98 chambered for 7x57 AI.
Cant wait to shoot it, But need to fire form some brass and have a buddy
load me some ammo.

I picked it up for $300, and when I was walking out the door another guy
noticed it and after a quick look he offered me $550.00. I think its worth a little more that that.

Anyone here have any Ackley wildcats???

Bob Denman
01-28-2013, 01:41 PM
I don't; but what a great buy! :thumbup:
Just get some standard 7x57mm rounds, and pitch them downrange; you'll be making 7x57 Ackley Imps with each pull of the tipgger.
I like Wildcats... My main hunting firearm is my Contender in .375JDJ, and my woodchuck gun in another Contender barrel for the .22 K-Hornet! :thumbup:

bruiser
01-28-2013, 03:28 PM
I agree with Bob. 7x57 will work just fine. I had a 6mm when I was stationed in NM. Used it to hunt deer/elk. Mine was an M1896 converted to an M1941B sniper rifle. Took down many a mule deer (missed some too) and a few elk. Dang, wished I hadn't sold that rifle.

mowin
01-28-2013, 07:33 PM
I don't; but what a great buy! :thumbup:
Just get some standard 7x57mm rounds, and pitch them downrange; you'll be making 7x57 Ackley Imps with each pull of the tipgger.
I like Wildcats... My main hunting firearm is my Contender in .375JDJ, and my woodchuck gun in another Contender barrel for the .22 K-Hornet! :thumbup:

Bob that what I ment by fire forming some brass. Thats part of the fun...Buddy has some 7mm rounds for me to use up, then he's gonna load 'em for me.

I use a TC encore in 7mm-08 for deer, which is pretty much the 7x57 AI's sister..

Tried to sneek it in when mamma wasnt lookin, but she caught me:banghead:

Bob Denman
01-29-2013, 08:49 AM
An Encore in 7mm-08? Way cool round! :2thumbs:
That's the Big-Brother to my Contender's 7-30 Waters! :ohyea:
I'm getting a touch over 2450 fps with a 120 sierra! :thumbup:

mowin
01-29-2013, 09:25 AM
I had a contender pistol in 7x30W. Great little round. Took a few deer out to 120yrds with that combo.
wish I never sold it...:banghead:

I never handloaded the 7x30. Yrs ago I used a friends stuff to work up a load for my 22-250. Got the little
pill headed downrange at 4100fps. The ground grizzlys didnt stand a chanch.......

Spyder_Cowgirl
01-29-2013, 10:21 AM
I had a contender pistol in 7x30W. Great little round. Took a few deer out to 120yrds with that combo.
wish I never sold it...:banghead:

I never handloaded the 7x30. Yrs ago I used a friends stuff to work up a load for my 22-250. Got the little
pill headed downrange at 4100fps. The ground grizzlys didnt stand a chanch.......

Spydercowboy and I have a Winchester Model 90 (I think), called a 730 Waters, and it packs a powerful punch! Only down side to the rifle is that there is not enough gun for the round so it kicks like a mule -- one of the reasons I don't care for it; but it's the only one we have with enough punch to take down a pig. I prefer my 22-250 Mauser style with custom walnut stock because it is heavy enough for the round and is smooth to shoot .... all it does is make pigs mad (though I did wound one a couple of years ago bad enough that our neighbor was able to catch up with it and kill it shortly after I hit it). BTW, these are feral hogs ... a real menace here in Texas.

Bob Denman
01-29-2013, 12:13 PM
Those old lever-action 'Chesters weren't really designed with an eye toward recoil management...
The Waters round kicks a bit less than a standard 30-30 because of the projectile weight; but there's not a big difference!
They work well... bagged a nice buck at 225 yards with mine! :thumbup:
(Pentax 4x EER scope on a Super-14 barrel)

mowin
01-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Those old lever-action 'Chesters weren't really designed with an eye toward recoil management...
The Waters round kicks a bit less than a standard 30-30 because of the projectile weight; but there's not a big difference!
They work well... bagged a nice buck at 225 yards with mine! :thumbup:
(Pentax 4x EER scope on a Super-14 barrel)

Thats a dam good poke for a pistol......

Best shot I made w my T/C 7x30 was on paper at 200yds.

The farthest for my 22-250 was a 'chuck at 435(rangfinder verified)..Was usin a Nikon 4x14x50
Varget powder and a 40g Nosler.
My pistol shootin is rather...well...lets just say it could be better....lol

Did some indoor 22 pistol leages. Never did great, but had lots of fun....

Bob Denman
01-29-2013, 02:30 PM
Did some indoor 22 pistol leages. Never did great, but had lots of fun....
What'd you use?
I started with a Ruger MKII
Dead-reliable; I put over 80,000 rounds through it before anything broke...
Moved up to to an S&W 41; probably overall the best-shooting pistol I used.
Then I tried a Walther GSP... It was one very finicky racehorse! You were either in the 10 ring, or off the paper with it... :gaah:

Did you shoot in Troy? I didn some indoor 900s up there over the years. That was a real nice range! :thumbup:

bruiser
01-29-2013, 05:51 PM
I hunted Javelina in Arizona and New Mexico. I used the Winchester 30-30 and a Springfield .308 (yes, the M1) with some "procured" 7.62 ammo. Had to dial back the round though because the standard 7.62 usually tore up the varmits. We hand loaded smaller 55 grain rounds. That still gave the muzzle velocity with good knock down. The 308 did the better job of taking down these nasties at longer ranges. I'd love to have the M1A1 but the going rate is around 1700.00 and they're hard to get, especially NIB. Probably much the same as the feral pigs I should think. They are becoming a problem here in NC as well.

mowin
01-29-2013, 06:18 PM
What'd you use?
I started with a Ruger MKII
Dead-reliable; I put over 80,000 rounds through it before anything broke...
Moved up to to an S&W 41; probably overall the best-shooting pistol I used.
Then I tried a Walther GSP... It was one very finicky racehorse! You were either in the 10 ring, or off the paper with it... :gaah:

Did you shoot in Troy? I didn some indoor 900s up there over the years. That was a real nice range! :thumbup:

Well I started with a H&R wheel gun open sights...dont have to tell ya how that went...lol
Picked up a Ruger SS MKII slabside topped with a reddot..Scores went up alot. My MK was picky on what ya fed it.
Only round that wouldnt jam in it was Green dot or green lable..Dont remember the exact mame, but they were
one of the most $$ round out there.
got rid of the MK and I now have a Baikal target 22 topped w a red dot. That thing is amazingly accurate...I'm not.:dontknow:

Never shot in Troy, Shot for a number of yrs at Nassau sportsman club.(no not Nassau county). Also shot some at a small club
in Stockport in Columbia CO.

Bob Denman
01-29-2013, 06:26 PM
The Rugers seemed to like Remington Standard velocity... :thumbup:
We're gonna have to get together and "talk targets" some day... :2thumbs:
I finally earned my expert class rating in both indoor and outdoor...

mowin
01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
The Rugers seemed to like Remington Standard velocity... :thumbup:
We're gonna have to get together and "talk targets" some day... :2thumbs:
I finally earned my expert class rating in both indoor and outdoor...

Love to get together and chat 'bout guns and targets..Thats always a good time:chat:
Expert class...:bowdown:. Thats great. Not a easy task.

I never tried outdoor rifle shoots. Always wanted to go to some as a spectator and learn about 'em tho.

I was hooked on Trap and Skeet for a few yrs. Highest score in trap was 24 out of 25...did that several times.
Always managed to drop one preventing me from gettin my perfect score patch:gaah:. Think 20 out of 25 was my best skeet round
and that only happened once or twice.

Shot Sporting clays a bunch, but that was with a group of friends bustin on ya for missin a "easy" shot.. There are no "easy" shots in sp clays....

Bob Denman
01-30-2013, 10:11 AM
I managed "expert" with the handgun in the outdoor 2700 matches. I shot the .45 in both the Centerfire and .45 matches. :thumbup:
High-Power Rifle?? I only shot enough of them to learn the deal, and qualify for a DCM M1 Garand purchase...:opps:

Mike_R
01-30-2013, 10:41 AM
:lecturef_smilie: You guys need to be careful, you do know guns kill people! Just Ask The President!!!!!!!!!

Bob Denman
01-30-2013, 12:24 PM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflbl ack::roflblack:

mowin
01-30-2013, 01:38 PM
:lecturef_smilie: You guys need to be careful, you do know guns kill people! Just Ask The President!!!!!!!!!

Dont get me........I'm gonna leave that one alone...Dont want a vacation.....

Bob, you ever shoot the 1000yrd rifle matches? They sound like a lot of fun....

Bob Denman
01-30-2013, 02:24 PM
I wish... :shocked:
Furthest Target that I ever shot at was the prone position, 600 yarder... :2thumbs:

boborgera
01-30-2013, 03:21 PM
The longest shot/s i ever took was 335m at night with a Starlight scope and using the M14, And at the time
[1965] You needed a security clearance to even handle that scope.
But this week end i had the chance to shoot a M14 for the first time since 1966, :yes:

Bob Denman
01-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Did you hit him?

mowin
01-30-2013, 03:36 PM
The longest shot/s i ever took was 335m at night with a Starlight scope and using the M14, And at the time
But this week end i had the chance to shoot a M14 for the first time since 1966, :yes:

Ok for us that are conversion challanged....how many yds is 335m??

I've squeezed of a few rounds from a M14... Wasnt in 1965 tho...I was only 1 then.

Bob, 600 yrds is more than half way there. Just aim a little higher:roflblack:

Bob Denman
01-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Roughly... 365!

Spyder_Cowgirl
01-30-2013, 03:53 PM

Never had a chance at an M14 ... never even seen one up close that I recall; sounds sweet.

My proudest, also longest, was with my 22-250 Mauser style, just after dawn and with a scope (don't recall the brand at the moment). Coyote in the pasture during calving season and our neighbor had cows in the pasture immediately to our south (the direction of shot). So, had to wait for the area behind the varmint to clear before I dared squeeze the trigger -- 250yds. And yes, Mr. Denman, I did hit him ... right through the heart, so he just fell over (something satisfying about seeing that happen).:clap::ohyea:

Curiously, I have yet to hear the "thump" that confirms contact with the target (unless it's one of our practice targets, those are metal) -- Spydercowboy says it's there.

mowin
01-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Never had a chance at an M14 ... never even seen one up close that I recall; sounds sweet.

My proudest, also longest, was with my 22-250 Mauser style, just after dawn and with a scope (don't recall the brand at the moment). Coyote in the pasture during calving season and our neighbor had cows in the pasture immediately to our south (the direction of shot). So, had to wait for the area behind the varmint to clear before I dared squeeze the trigger -- 250yds. And yes, Mr. Denman, I did hit him ... right through the heart, so he just fell over (something satisfying about seeing that happen).:clap::ohyea:

Curiously, I have yet to hear the "thump" that confirms contact with the target (unless it's one of our practice targets, those are metal) -- Spydercowboy says it's there.

Nice shot.. I've bounced .22's off there noggin. there one tuff critter.

As far as the "thump"..its there. Its easyer to hear on the farther shots as theres a slight delay between the report and the hit.
It also depends on the traget. A paper target wont be as noticeable as say a jug filled with water.

boborgera
01-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Did you hit him?

Yep, At approx 100 yards, Sent him 2/3 hundred feet in the air,
Oh yea we were shooting at a Scot pack in our frozen lake with 35 hundred pounds of Jersey air' in it.
Hope i didn't dilute any of Sullivan Co's air with clean Jersey air. :rolleyes:

mowin
01-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Yep, At approx 100 yards, Sent him 2/3 hundred feet in the air,
Oh yea we were shooting at a Scot pack in our frozen lake with 35 hundred pounds of Jersey air' in it.
Hope i didn't dilute any of Sullivan Co's air with clean Jersey air. :rolleyes:

Think Bob was askin about the 1965 shot with that fancy scope??:dontknow:

Just assuming the 1965 shot wasnt in Jersey...

boborgera
01-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Think Bob was askin about the 1965 shot with that fancy scope??:dontknow:

Just assuming the 1965 shot wasnt in Jersey..

The 1965 shot's i can't remember how many were at Ft Lewis WA, At night and raining [normal] And the targets were pop up silhouette's, Can't miss them, Even if you lob one in front the round hitting the sand in front of the target knocks them down:thumbup:
I use the scope a few times in Nam for night ambushes, But they were heavy, and you had to keep the lens covers on in day light or ruin it , And at night if you had it on and then backed your eye of your face would light up green, not a good thing. Also we had to sign out to use them , With the instructions if you thought you were going to be captured/overrun to put a round though the lens. So we didn't use them too much, Besides trip flares and Claymores worked better.
I guess you can buy a night scope now for 9.99..

Bob Denman
01-30-2013, 06:25 PM
A joker on our pistol team had an AR-15 with some serious night -vision capabilitites bolted on top...
We had a fun "evening" out back of his house shooting rabbits for the stew pot at out to 200 yards with it... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/14/14_6_2.gif

mowin
01-30-2013, 08:23 PM
That sounds like fun..Hasenpfeffer anyone????

otter28169
01-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Tried to sneek it in when mamma wasnt lookin, but she caught me:banghead:

Just use the line they use when they buy clothes on clearance: "I am saving us money by not paying full price" :ohyea:

mowin
01-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Just use the line they use when they buy clothes on clearance: "I am saving us money by not paying full price" :ohyea:

:roflblack::roflblack:...But honey...it was on sale......

bruiser
01-30-2013, 09:53 PM
They took my M14 and gave me the Mattel M16. Pissed me off. What a piece of crap. I finally scored another M14 and stowed the 16 under my bunk with duct tape. I love the Garand and the previously mentioned Springfield M1A1. However the Garand, in my book, is the best. Someone mentioned shooting gallon jugs, I used to do that with my 30-30 just for fun. Filled them to the top with water. Man did they explode. :roflblack: And there is a "thump" when you hit a flesh and blood target. I priced a Springfield and the cheapest one I found I found NIB was $1,599.00. Garands are out of the question, very hard to find a good one that works. A gut told me he had one for $500.00. When I went to look at it, it was in pieces, and all the pieces weren't there (his either).

boborgera
01-30-2013, 10:22 PM
They took my M14 and gave me the Mattel M16. Pissed me off. What a piece of crap. .
I got one of the early McNamara M16's, If you put 20 rounds in the clip it would at times on full auto jam
after the first shot, Lode them with 18 no problem, So i would tape two clips together, {one upside down}
That was 47+ years ago, I assume they got the bugs work out by now.

bruiser
01-30-2013, 10:35 PM
They did. Although now they are designated M16A1, A2, M4A1 and M16A4. However, the M14 has been brought back for use in Iraq and Afghanistan because of it's long range accuracy and punch, which the M16 doesn't have. What's old is new again. Still can't buy the M14. Legally that is.

Bob Denman
01-31-2013, 08:24 AM
Garand... :2thumbs:
The M14 was superior in just about every functional way; but those Garands just felt so right... :thumbup:

boborgera
01-31-2013, 09:21 AM
Garand... :2thumbs:
The M14 was superior in just about every functional way; but those Garands just felt so right... :thumbup:

The 14 was/is dead accurate, And packs a punch, Once the selector switch is flipped to Auto, It becomes a hand fill. Same rounds as the M60, But with out the tracers and 1 third the weight.

mowin
01-31-2013, 01:47 PM
I would love to have a Garand. Good ones are hard to find and dam $$. Good friend of mine has 2 of 'em.
Things are mint. Been trying to pry one away from him with no luck..:banghead:

Bob Denman
01-31-2013, 01:49 PM
I would love to have a Garand. Good ones are hard to find and dam $$. Good friend of mine has 2 of 'em.
Things are mint. Been trying to pry one away from him with no luck..:banghead:

Offer to mow his lawn...Babysit his kids... wash his car... :shocked: :2thumbs:

mowin
01-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Offer to mow his lawn...Babysit his kids... wash his car... :shocked: :2thumbs:

He bought one of my older Z turn mower, so thats out, His kids are grown and on there own, and his wife is a
neat freek and cars never stay dirty..:gaah:.

He wants this 7x57, so I do have some bargining power....

Bob Denman
01-31-2013, 05:47 PM
If that 7x57 were in my gunsafe... it wouldn't be for long!
When you get the Garand; I accurized mine to beyond NM specs. With the aperature sights, I could place 10 shots into a hair less than an inch at 100 yards from a benchrest... :2thumbs: So give me a call...

mowin
02-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Problem is he will not part with one of those M1's, and I dont blame him. You just dont find original M1's in the condition
these are in. I'll find one. Even a mixed bag of # but decent shape M1 would be a treasure.

My dad carried one in WWII. Having one would be to honor him..

I'll keep you in mind, Bob, when I get one. I've held many of 'em, but never shot one.

bruiser
02-01-2013, 10:28 AM
I would kill for a Garand (well, maybe not kill). I think the M14 being used now is strictly semi. I'll have to ask one of the guys who've been there. There is a gun store locally that has a Garand on display but won't sell it. :banghead:

Bob Denman
02-01-2013, 10:35 AM
The M14 is a FAR superior battle-axe... but the Garand just hits all the right buttons for me. :2thumbs:
The en-bloc clips of the M1 probably caused more purple thumbs than hammers did... The ammo was bulkier to carry... Semi-automatic operation only... less inherent mechanical accuracy than the M14...
But... I'd still choose one every time! :D

Machinegunner
02-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Good to see all the gun talk. I'm a class 2 manufacturer, converted 5 m1 garands to tanker every one loves them. Converted my M1-A to M14 specs, then shortend barrel to 18 inches and added a Miculek muzzel brake, totally controllable in full auto! Just built Gorgynov SG-43, DPM, RPD, and British BESA. We go Knob Creek machinegun shoot twice a year. Also have MG-34 and Brengun. So far we can still enjoy the freedoms guarranteed by the Constitution.

Bob Denman
02-03-2013, 11:36 AM
It sure sounds as if your shooting range episodes are epic! :shocked: :bowdown: :thumbup:

mowin
02-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Good to see all the gun talk. I'm a class 2 manufacturer, converted 5 m1 garands to tanker every one loves them. Converted my M1-A to M14 specs, then shortend barrel to 18 inches and added a Miculek muzzel brake, totally controllable in full auto! Just built Gorgynov SG-43, DPM, RPD, and British BESA. We go Knob Creek machinegun shoot twice a year. Also have MG-34 and Brengun. So far we can still enjoy the freedoms guarranteed by the Constitution.

Oh that sounds like fun....:thumbup:

bruiser
02-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Most Brens were scrapped when they were shipped here. Is yours still fully servicable? I know some were rebuilt from scrap parts and semi only. I had the opportunity while stationed in England to fire the Bren Gun at a sister RAF base. I was there during the Falkland War. Saw a lot of nice Brit weaponry.

retired1
02-04-2013, 09:22 AM
I've seen Ron's impressive armory and his skill and knowledge in reactivating those automatic weapons as well as some of his other gunsmithing projects.

Machinegunner
02-04-2013, 09:44 AM
My SG-43, DPM, Besa, and two Thompsons are rewelded post-86 samples. My Bren is an original but is also a post-86 sample. I converted the Bren to 7.62x54r Russian, iit runs better, the ammo is better, and it is cheaper. The MG-34 is also original, but also post-86.

mowin
02-04-2013, 07:06 PM
My SG-43, DPM, Besa, and two Thompsons are rewelded post-86 samples. My Bren is an original but is also a post-86 sample. I converted the Bren to 7.62x54r Russian, iit runs better, the ammo is better, and it is cheaper. The MG-34 is also original, but also post-86.

Wow thats some nice stuff...