PDA

View Full Version : Cruise-mate cruise control

blambert
01-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Just installed Cruise-mate cruise control on my 2011 Spyder RS. Easy installation ( just make sure you use the jigs for re-drilling and tapping the throttle housing). It is a clean setup with just spring loaded lever that comes from the bottom of the throttle housing for holding the throttle open via friction. Have used on the highway and with my newly installed ICSI hand brake I'm good to go for long highway rides. :yes:

Lambo

cyclelover63
01-27-2013, 08:04 PM
I installed a cruise-mate and the hand brake before we went to Colorado last summer...I wouldn't be without either one,now...There are better and more complicated cruise controls out there,but basic is fine for me..I just wanted a "once in a while" hand relaxer...It did the trick!

SllimG
01-27-2013, 08:10 PM
I installed a cruise-mate and the hand brake before we went to Colorado last summer...I wouldn't be without either one,now...There are better and more complicated cruise controls out there,but basic is fine for me..I just wanted a "once in a while" hand relaxer...It did the trick!

I am very happy with the cruise-mate.

otter28169
01-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Just installed Cruise-mate cruise control on my 2011 Spyder RS. Easy installation ( just make sure you use the jigs for re-drilling and tapping the throttle housing). It is a clean setup with just spring loaded lever that comes from the bottom of the throttle housing for holding the throttle open via friction. Have used on the highway and with my newly installed ICSI hand brake I'm good to go for long highway rides. :yes:

Lambo

Who makes this cruise? I take it this is a quality product I could install myself? I am two weeks from an open carpal tunnel release surgery and will most likely need the help this year.

SllimG
01-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Who makes this cruise? I take it this is a quality product I could install myself? I am two weeks from an open carpal tunnel release surgery and will most likely need the help this year.

http://cruise-mate.com/Products_Can_Am_Spyder.htm

SllimG
01-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Install is pretty easy. Just be careful when drilling. Put it in a vise like the instructions say.

boomerkc
01-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Lambo, did you have the tap set to thread the hole or did you have to do that?

Jim

SllimG
01-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Lambo, did you have the tap set to thread the hole or did you have to do that?

Jim

The kit comes with drill and tap.

blambert
01-28-2013, 01:08 AM
Crusie mate sold me the drill bit and tap bit for 10 bucks - was very easy - you need to make sure that the throttle housing is put in vise since the housing plastic grabs the bit when drilling.

Bob Denman
01-28-2013, 08:51 AM
Gee :shocked:... Cruise control on an RS? That sounds like a reason to buy a new 2013 model; it's now standard equipment! :thumbup:

SllimG
01-28-2013, 09:08 AM

One other thing you may want is a throttle assist. It is a paddle you rest the heel of your hand on and relieves pressure on the wrist. It really helps out on long rides.

SPYD1
01-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Do you have to remove the grip to add this option?

Laila's Dad
01-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Gee :shocked:... Cruise control on an RS? That sounds like a reason to buy a new 2013 model; it's now standard equipment! :thumbup:

Hey Bob, we cruise on the RS too. It's like the person who sees a house they want but wishes it was in a different neighborhood. That's how it is with some of us RS folks, we like some of the features of the RT, but prefer them on the RS.:rolleyes:

otter28169
01-28-2013, 10:32 AM

standard on the new RS??!!!:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

major911
01-28-2013, 11:37 AM
I've had cruise-mates on 3 of my previous harley's I was glad to see they made one for the spyder. That is definately a must have mod in my opinion. :thumbup:

SllimG
01-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Do you have to remove the grip to add this option?

I'm not sure about the stock grips. I have Kuryakyn grips and added the matching throttle assist. Here's a picture:

blambert
01-29-2013, 09:21 AM
There is no need to remove the grips - the throttle housing is what you work with and it comes apart with only three screws. The directions are OK ( not great). To remove the throttle housing so that you can put on a vise you also have to remove a switch from the housing which is also only three screws easy to get to. When drilling the housing with the provided bit I added WD40 to the bit end and slowly worked the drilling. Key is make sure you use the jigs provided to keep everything straight.

I now have pretty much all the performance mods on my RS - outside of any Bling I like where my RS is as a bike -

smporter420
02-09-2013, 04:20 PM
These kuryakyn throttle assist work good. Easy to install too.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

dfireman1
04-14-2013, 08:15 PM

Lambo

Can it be installed on the EASY RISERS?

blambert
04-15-2013, 12:24 AM
I have 3 inch risers on my bike and no issue since all the mechanics is internal to the throttle handle

MrLooney
04-15-2013, 03:59 AM
I added Criose~Mate to my :spyder2: and what a blessing it was for me!! I did not have a vise to put the Throttle Body in (sure wished I did) as it turned out I was very careful and did not have any serious problems. Cheap $50.00 and all parts came with it in one package. It took more time to figure out how it all went together than it did to do the actual job of remove ~ drill ~ tap ~ assemble. It is also adjustable tension as parts seat in. :2thumbs: it came in very handy from Texas HWY 10 to Calf. to I~5 to Salem. CAUTION ~ DO NOT USE ANY CRUISE CONTROL DEVISE IN WET OR SLIPPERY CONDITIONS be it Bike ~ :spyder: ~ or Cage !!

LindaG
04-15-2013, 09:02 AM
My husband installed a Cruise-Mate on my RS, but I am the one having trouble using it. It is either losing or gaining speed. Any idea what I am doing wrong?:banghead:

blambert
04-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Keep in mind there is no electronic feedback to adjust your throttle it is a mechanical mechanism so any change in environment i.e. headwind or highway slope will either increase or slow you down. You can adjust the mate so that they is enough play to change the throttle position even with the mate is in the cruise position.

Ride safe

major911
04-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Can it be installed on the EASY RISERS?

Yes it can.:thumbup:

Rockwall
06-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Loving my Cruise Mate! I think this is a must have mod. When your right wrist starts to get tired just flip the lever and relax it! Best $50 you can spend in my opinion.:doorag: