PDA

View Full Version : Clanking when backing

sharbill
01-27-2013, 04:32 PM
I have a 2011 RT-S with 4,000 miles on it. I had it in for its 3,000 mile service in June 2012 had the new side panel and filter housings installed. Everything was good then a couple of weeks ago I was backing it in to the garage and heard this unusual noise. It sounds just like a brake pad is loose. Has anyone out there had the same problem? Thought I would check here before I put it on the trailer and took it to the dealer.

kinggeek
01-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Mine does this in reverse when hitting the brake the first couple of times. Never have been able to find a cause.

Chupaca
01-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Brake pads float on pins. If the pin wear in groves backing up changes the movement on those pins. You should get a similar noise as you shift back to forward motion. This usually only occurs when applying the brakes and only lasts a sec or two. If noise is constant while backing up it must be something else. :dontknow:

kinggeek
01-27-2013, 08:06 PM
On mine it is one single clunk when applying the brakes in reverse. I have never noticed it in a forward gear.

sharbill
02-27-2013, 10:32 PM
:2thumbs:I took my 2011 RT (4245 mi) to the dealer today too try and find the cause of the noise when backing. The tech troubleshot it for about 30 mins and found that the rear wheel bearings were bad (working aircraft maintenance for 40 years helped me to pin it down with the techs help). He contributed this to a misaligned belt. The belt was running on the outer edge of the wheel drive gear. The belt when properly aligned should be running against the inner flange or within 1/16" of the flange. The dealer is replacing the rear wheel bearings, bleeding the brakes, and realigning the belt and wheel. Also, the dealer said that there is a couple of things that BRP wants them to fix if they get a customer complaint. One of the is the handlebar control modules come loose and can cause some problems. The other he did not mention so I figure it is some more intense to fix. Anyway, thanks for the help with my problem.

kinggeek
02-27-2013, 10:36 PM
But my 'clunk' clearly comes from the front NOT the rear.