PDA

View Full Version : Installed my new sway bar from Baja Ron

bluestratos
01-27-2013, 12:44 PM
I blew a disc out in my back about 7 weeks ago and the pain was too great to even think of working on the bike. I have surgery scheduled for the 30th but my back was feeling much better on Saturday so I went for it. I lifted the front end about 1' off the ground, took out the two lower #10 bolts that hold the frunk on and stuck a 3/4" wide board up to move the frunk ahead about 1". I was able to get my wrenches in to remove the bolts and in less than 30 minutes the new one was back in place.

I also added Spyderpops skid plate while I was at it and it to took about 30 minutes to install. I then lowered the front end back to 4" with the the preload adjustment on the Elka's. I was still feeling pretty good so I also installed the dayrunners leds under the chrome accent in the intake vents. Altogether I spent about 2 hours before the pain gotto be too much. I am doing ok this morning so I plan a ride to try out the changes today as it is not supposed to rain until after 2:00.

Bob Denman
01-27-2013, 01:33 PM
It's really that easy to install? :shocked: You make it sound so.... manageable! :thumbup:
I guess when the Elkas arrive, I'll kick the Missus out to some Mall somewhere, and tackle the shocks, the RonBar and the Stebel in one shot!

mrfats
01-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Your couple hours would take me a couple days and it still wouldnt be right!! :gaah: I'm so jealous of you guys!! :clap:

xmanjr
01-27-2013, 06:12 PM
I can't wait for mine to arrive. They were back ordered, suppose to get more in on the 22nd. Maybe this week, its suppose to warm up a bit, been in the low twenties. Hope it goes on as easy as you discribed. :yes:6089560896:bowdown:

Chupaca
01-27-2013, 06:37 PM
I will be tackling Ron's sway bar tomorrow so your info is encouraging. I did the bumpskid already and much easier when you pull the skid plate frame off. :thumbup:

bluestratos
01-27-2013, 06:48 PM
It really is an easy job to do. I took it for a ride today but it was raining so I had to go easy. I can feel a positive difference but need a better day to really evaluate.

Bob Denman
01-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Your couple hours would take me a couple days and it still wouldnt be right!! :gaah: I'm so jealous of you guys!! :clap:
fats,
You and I will just have to tackle it on the same day.... I fear that I am FAR less effective with a wrench in my hand than anybody else on the Planet! :opps:

GeoffCee
01-30-2013, 10:59 AM
I fear that I am FAR less effective with a wrench in my hand than anybody else on the Planet! :opps:

I used to have a guy working for me while I was serving in the military who would be worthy of a similar claim to yours.

I haven't seen you go to work, Bob, but I sure did see a lot of him and I have to say in all honesty he was so practically abysmal that he brought tears to my eyes almost every day.

For instance, I once gave him a pot of military-green paint and a brush and asked him to spruce up a little two-wheeled trailer we used to tow behind our Section's Land Rover. When I later checked his work I found he'd applied 2 coats of green to both sets of stop-lights and indicator lenses.

How does 2nd place sound in the worldwide no-can-do listings? :(

Elembytes
01-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Just curious to how long it really takes to install and how much work is it to do? I am mechanically inclined, but this Spyder is a little intimidating too at times.

Just curious---any details you can share- nightmares- etc., Would love to see the instruction sheet....prior to buying but guess could have dealer install it too. Just more money!

Thanks!

Chupaca
01-30-2013, 12:16 PM
I had my 2012 RS apart with the sway bar out and ready to install Ron's when...snafu with the parts...still re-assembled and went out ryding. Without removing the frunk maybe faster. Now I can not speak on the RT's...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Thanks for that honest assessment. :thumbup:
I just need to get the Missus off the property for a couple of hours...
RonBar and Elkas! :yes:

SpyderAnn01
01-30-2013, 12:42 PM
I will be tackling Ron's sway bar tomorrow so your info is encouraging. I did the bumpskid already and much easier when you pull the skid plate frame off. :thumbup:

The swaybar install would be easier if you had not installed the bumpskid already.

tbhlaw
01-31-2013, 02:01 AM
Hope your surgery went well. Had a diskectomy and laminectomy about a month ago and am just starting to ride again. My sway bar is on its way and I already have my skid plate ready to install. Also have third brake light, brightsides and tips ordered as a present to myself for surviving back surgery. Still under doc orders: no lifting more than 5 lbs., no bending, no twisting.:yes:

johnwinslow
01-31-2013, 10:45 AM
mine is (2011 RTS) installed, great instructions,"Who said size doesn't matter":yes:

johnwinslow
01-31-2013, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=Elembytes;567083]Just curious to how long it really takes to install and how much work is it to do? I am mechanically inclined, but this Spyder is a little intimidating too at times.

Just curious---any details you can share- nightmares- etc., Would love to see the instruction sheet....prior to buying but guess could have dealer install it too. Just more money!

Thanks!
takes two or three hours, very easy if you can get your bike off the floor about 10 inches i use a craftsman atv jack right under the foot pegs. centering the bar is important

spyderjim2012
02-05-2013, 01:34 PM
GReat sway bar , now have a new bike , like it should have been, only takes like a hour to put on, ,very few tools, 10mm socket , 13mm socket, 13 mm open end wrench, one star and one allen ,betten then you can put on a RT, A MUST HAVE for only 200