PDA

View Full Version : lose belt

greatrides
01-26-2013, 11:01 PM
I have a 2012 rs se5 with 7000 miles on it this will be the second time my drive belt has to be adjusted. Should I have to adjust it this often?

NancysToy
01-26-2013, 11:20 PM
They are usually very stable after the 600 mile adjustment. Are you sure the dealer isn't just weaseling extra work out of you?

jerpinoy
01-27-2013, 12:07 AM
I hope your rear axel nut is not getting loose.

BajaRon
01-27-2013, 12:39 AM
Give us more information. Are you finding the belt 'Loose' or is it the dealer?

Is the belt tracking correctly?

Are you doing your own adjustment or are you having it done?

Are you checking tension? How is it being determined that the belt is loose?

bhfromme
01-27-2013, 01:02 AM
My belt was slipping when I gunned it hard in 1st gear just before my 12,000 mile service. They tightened it at 12,000 miles and I'm at 22,000 miles with no belt issues since.

Bill

Tierhog
01-27-2013, 01:10 AM
At 11k and belt hasn't been touched. Im inclined to agree the dealer might be afraid of doing his job. I'd start there too..

Chupaca
01-27-2013, 01:20 AM
Give us more information. Are you finding the belt 'Loose' or is it the dealer?

Is the belt tracking correctly?

Are you doing your own adjustment or are you having it done?

Are you checking tension? How is it being determined that the belt is loose?

:agree: need more to go on...:dontknow:

NancysToy
01-27-2013, 10:55 AM
My belt was slipping when I gunned it hard in 1st gear just before my 12,000 mile service. They tightened it at 12,000 miles and I'm at 22,000 miles with no belt issues since.

Bill
A toothed belt cannot slip unless it is damaged. Unless your belt is missing teeth, you have other problems...most likely clutch issues. You could also have a damaged output shaft, but those are no longer common. If your belt is damaged, it must be replaced. All the adjustment in the world will never cure it. I'd worry about a tech that though a toothed belt could slip, and merely tightened it...especially if he didn't measure the tension.

greatrides
01-27-2013, 11:59 AM
I have a 2012 rs se5 with 7000 miles on it this will be the second time my drive belt has to be adjusted. Should I have to adjust it this often?

It's making the same noise when I get on it. The dealer did it last time at no cost to me. I have not checked it just hear the same noise.

NancysToy
01-27-2013, 01:06 PM
It's making the same noise when I get on it. The dealer did it last time at no cost to me. I have not checked it just hear the same noise.
The squealing noise you are hearing is not belt slip. It is the sides of the belt contacting the sprocket flanges, and the belt teeth contacting the sprocket teeth. BRP has a service bulletin on this, calling for a couple of dabs of synthetic grease to be applied to the belt, believe it or not. Do not try to improvise or modify this procedure, though, you could shorten your belt life.

greatrides
01-27-2013, 08:19 PM
The squealing noise you are hearing is not belt slip. It is the sides of the belt contacting the sprocket flanges, and the belt teeth contacting the sprocket teeth. BRP has a service bulletin on this, calling for a couple of dabs of synthetic grease to be applied to the belt, believe it of not. Do not try to improvise or modify this procedure, though, you could shorten your belt life.

Thanks for the info I will have to check into this