PDA

View Full Version : Do you leave your helmet on the bike?

sonicsix
01-25-2013, 12:10 PM
When stopping to go eat, shop, sight-see or whatever... do you leave your helmet and/or other gear on the bike? Our full face modular helmets aren't the most expensive out there, $200 each plus Sena headsets and a helmet cam... so basically a combined value of about $800. Due to short chin straps with the D-rings, we can't use the helmet latches. I went on a ride the other day with 10 other bikes and when we stopped to go eat inside a restaurant, we were the only ones to take our helmets in. All the others just left them sitting on their seat or hanging on a mirror. What do you do?

Has anyone had anything stolen from their bike while parked? And not parked overnight... that's a whole 'nother scenario.

Questions
01-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Typically, my wife will leave her's in the front storage if we have room and I will carry mine with me. Otherwise we both carry ours in. Like you, our straps don't allow us to use the latches. Between the cost of the helmets and communication devices, guess I error on the cautious side.

patty
01-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Counts on the area. We bought a bike lock the long rope kind and run it thru the helmets and around the grab bars on the back.

Can-Am Poogs
01-25-2013, 12:20 PM
I don't leave anything on a bike I am not prepared to loose. Or wouldn't be to upset about if it was taken. A helmet is not one of them. My buddies do. I don't. Gloves seem to be more attractive to take, then helmets. I should preface this by saying, I am not a very trusting person, and with good reason.

Trail200
01-25-2013, 12:24 PM
In a group I leave it on the Spyder. When I ride alone I lock it up. :doorag:

DR Buck
01-25-2013, 12:30 PM
We leave both helments in the Frunk when it's empty. Otherwise, lock them together through the center of the Corbin backrest. I take the GPS off everytime!

SpyRyd
01-25-2013, 12:33 PM
We leave both helments in the Frunk when it's empty. Otherwise, lock them together through the center of the Corbin backrest. I take the GPS off everytime!

Me too!

Papa
01-25-2013, 12:36 PM
I bought a carbonite cable lock and lock them up to the passenger handle bar.

2 Cruysyn
01-25-2013, 12:38 PM
When stopping to go eat, shop, sight-see or whatever... do you leave your helmet and/or other gear on the bike? Our full face modular helmets aren't the most expensive out there, $200 each plus Sena headsets and a helmet cam... so basically a combined value of about $800. Due to short chin straps with the D-rings, we can't use the helmet latches. I went on a ride the other day with 10 other bikes and when we stopped to go eat inside a restaurant, we were the only ones to take our helmets in. All the others just left them sitting on their seat or hanging on a mirror. What do you do?

Has anyone had anything stolen from their bike while parked? And not parked overnight... that's a whole 'nother scenario.

Buy four (two for each helmet) 1" D-rings, or whatever size is appropriate for the strap on your helmet, at your local hardware store and use the long strap to hang your helmet from the hook under the seat.

Knock on wood we have had no problem, yet. It's always better not to provide an opportunity for someone who would rather ruin your day than respect what isn't theirs.

Bob Denman
01-25-2013, 12:43 PM
I use a firearms cable safety lock, and hook it to the armrests... :thumbup:

Chupaca
01-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Coming from a third world where they will steal the door bell and porch light bulbs I have become weary. If we can we lock them in the frunk and carry whats left. I have had the straps cut and lost the helmets before so prefer to not risk it. There is safety in numbers so as mentioned before in a group ok..:thumbup:

summerdawn
01-25-2013, 12:49 PM
My husband will leave his helmet and coat. I will leave the helmet. We try to sit where we can see the bikes. We have never had anything touched but of course it is very possible to be a theft victim. If we are at a scenic stop, like in a wooded area, I tend to lock things up. There are fewer people but the area makes theft easier. IMO

MouthPiece
01-25-2013, 12:58 PM
I put mine over my IPS key.

Chris

NancysToy
01-25-2013, 01:05 PM
The quick answer to the short helmet straps and the under-seat hooks is to take a long, heavy zip-tie and loop it. Put the loop through your D-rings, and put both ends of the loop over the hook...problem solved. Stash the zip-ties in your trunk when not in use.

Pennyrick
01-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Constant source of family arguments.

My wife always locks her helmet w/Scala in her Frunk.

I always leave my helmet on the seat unsecured.

jerpinoy
01-25-2013, 01:10 PM
:spyder2:Members, just remember, "out of site out off mind" Don't be:cus: if you it happened to you and

you'll hear the famous " I told you sooooo".:yes::yes:

d.o.spyder-rts
01-25-2013, 01:10 PM
I always put my Shark helmet in the frunk. Dale

harrypottar
01-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Always put mine away, stop the bugs getting inside. Either in the frunk or the trailer if I have it with me.

harry

ABQAndy
01-25-2013, 01:20 PM
I always put my helmet and GPS in the frunk. Better safe than sorry!

LJspydee
01-25-2013, 01:28 PM
We put GPS and Scala units in the trunk and use a cable bike lock through the arm rest and the helmet chin strap rings.

bruiser
01-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Depends. If we're riding with the 3/4 helmets with the comm, we lock them up in the frunks. We always activate the parking brake (RTS) too. If we're in an area where we will be away for a few hours (mall, cinema) we lock everything away and lock the steering too.

asp125
01-25-2013, 01:35 PM
What doesn't fit in the frunk or topcase, or locked to the bike, gets carried.

SpyderAnn01
01-25-2013, 01:35 PM
I noticed that several of you say that the wife locks her stuff up and the husband leaves his out. That is usually how it goes with my husband and me. He drives me crazy when he leaves his coat and his helmet w/Scala rider on his bike. I put my helmet in the front trunk and his in the side compartment.

MarkLawson
01-25-2013, 01:38 PM
If I'm away from the Spyder for more than a minute or two, I'll normally put it in the front trunk or carry it in.

pickelhead
01-25-2013, 01:43 PM
I wear mine into and while in the restaurant. When people ask me why I'm wearing a helmet, I tell them I'm training to be an astronaut, so I'm getting used to wearing a helmet 24/7. People slowly back away from you and the waitress is real polite to you (though they usually take my knife and fork away and just give me a spoon and bib). :p

otter28169
01-25-2013, 01:53 PM
As many of you know, most of riding experience is on snowmobiles. Out of habit I take everything in with me. When you ride in the winter it gives your helmet time to de-ice, and warms it up. If I do not take it in, it gets frunked or locked.

harddrive
01-25-2013, 01:54 PM
I never really gave it much thought, but I leave mine hanging on the handle bars and my wife puts hers in the Frunk when there is room. When there is not room, she leaves it on the seat.

I remove my SENA and lock it in the rear case, but never secure the helmet.

rcturner
01-25-2013, 01:54 PM
We are lucky and where we travel, people have enough respect to leave things that are not theirs alone. As such, we tend to just throw our stuff on the bike and go off to do whatever it is that we were going to do. If we are not in familiar territory, we will generally be more careful although, we have never had any kind of a problem with others messing with our stuff in over thirty years of riding. We usually travel between 6000 and 7000 miles per year so there is plenty of opportunity for poor behavior.

McMillenG
01-25-2013, 02:13 PM
I put my helmet in the frunk, my wife puts hers in the right saddle bag, and the GPS goes in the back. Everything is out of sight and locked up when we go into anywhere.

serf
01-25-2013, 02:25 PM
I do both... i work in a bad neighborhood. In places like that I take it in. If the bikes in view or in just running in and out I'll leave it on the handlebar or backrest.

Rockwall
01-25-2013, 02:35 PM
What's a helmet?:doorag:

bluestratos
01-25-2013, 02:54 PM
I have an alarm on the bike so I will chin strap it to my luggage rack if my trunk is full when in low crime areas such as my town. If you try to remove the helmut it will sound the alarm and my remote will sound to let me know. In larger cities it gets locked in trunk or comes with me.

I had a helmut stolen when I was much younger so I rode home to get my other one. On the way I was pulled over for no helmut and no amount of explaining would save me from the ticket. So insult onto top of injury has made me overly cautious I guess.

ARtraveler
01-25-2013, 03:06 PM
For us, it depends where we are. I have never had a problem with losing anything off the bike seat outside of the big towns in Alaska . Specifically, the helmets with communicators, or the gloves. If its raining, the stuff gets stashed in the bags or frunk, or comes inside. No overnight stuff though. I did leave the key in the :spyder2: in a lot (front row) while staying overnight at a hotel in Fairbanks. Boy, was I unhappy when I could not find the key in the morning. :spyder2: was fine in the morning--but I know I dodged a bullet there.

In town, I would not think of leaving the stuff out because it would be gone in a flash.

Losing something may make me change my mind--but--so far, so good.

motoford
01-25-2013, 03:13 PM
I had a helmut stolen when I was much younger so I rode home to get my other one. On the way I was pulled over for no helmut and no amount of explaining would save me from the ticket. So insult onto top of injury has made me overly cautious I guess.

This was going to be my point, if someone takes my helmet they might as well have taken my bike, because I am stranded. I always take my helmet with me if I'm on my bike. With the Spyder I'm ok with it in the truck -- unfortunately it's just a little too small to hold 2 full face helmets so when we both ride hers goes in the truck and mine goes with me.

Ivorspyder
01-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Reggy from Tricled installed a helmet lock on each end of the handlebars.They look great much nicer looking than the flat end already there.We lock the helmets on each end.I take the Sena off and also lock the GPS away.

ivor:spyder:

kyspyder
01-25-2013, 03:22 PM
This is what I have found that works very well!
http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-159-helmetlok-quikloop.aspx

KYSPYDER

MikeinGA
01-25-2013, 03:53 PM
My wife and I lock them up in the trunk and turn on my alarm. Only time the alarm went off was at the Dragon and when I went to the door I saw a guy running across the parking lot. Anyother time it just chirps once if some tries to mess with my Spider. The Sena communication and helmits are worth about $700.00. My insurance only covers my helmet if my Spyder is broken into. That's IMHO.

Hecam17
01-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Our helmets go in the frunk, jackets in the saddle bags.
Stopped at the barber last week and a local motorcycle officer was inside, he left his helmet and gloves across his seat, told me no one bothers them.

Bob Denman
01-25-2013, 03:59 PM
I wear mine into and while in the restaurant. When people ask me why I'm wearing a helmet, I tell them I'm training to be an astronaut, so I'm getting used to wearing a helmet 24/7. People slowly back away from you and the waitress is real polite to you (though they usually take my knife and fork away and just give me a spoon and bib). :p

Do you also have to eat all of your meals with a straw? :roflblack: :thumbup:

paulbrinker
01-25-2013, 04:51 PM
We use Kewl Metal helmet locks if the frunk is full. Otherwise, both of our 3/4 helmets with scala fit nicely in the frunk.

JkRbbt
01-25-2013, 05:06 PM
I left my first helmet on my first bike, which led directly to me buying my SECOND helmet! :banghead: Mine is secured to the bike or goes in with me!

mac spyder
01-25-2013, 05:09 PM
I purchased a helmet lock off of ebay. They are made by Master Lock. I attach the helmets with the braided cable through the metal loop on the helmet and the passenger hand grips. I've never had a problem with them. They are keyed the same and are easy to store.

asp125
01-25-2013, 05:18 PM
We have a pair of these in case the saddlebags or frunk is full.
http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/0000-Lockstraps-2-Helmet---Jacket-Lock-Black.jpg

Steel cable embedded within. Loop it round the chin bar of a helmet, or through the arms of a jacket and it ain't going nowhere.

danlnc
01-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Most times we leave them on the seat. If I am in a city that I am not familiar with we put them in the trunk.

rhansen309
01-25-2013, 05:27 PM
We usually put my helmet in the frunk and my wife's in the right saddlebag. Jackets go in frunk and trunk. Sometimes, again like many here it depends where we are and who we are with. I also have two pieces of a belt from some football pants. Cut a slit in the ends, wife sewed the around the slits and loop it around the helmet d-rings and can use the helmet hangers on the bike. I like some of the ideas I have seen here for cables and locks. May have to look into some before the riding season begins.

Bob Denman
01-25-2013, 05:54 PM
2 Adult modulars can fit in the frunk... IF they're not an overly Large design. Before I added the frunkliner to my RT, we'd store both lids in the frunk. Once I added the frunkliner...well; it was that close before... :gaah:

crazyspyder
01-25-2013, 06:33 PM
What's a helmet?:doorag:

yeah what HE said..:trike:I preffer being naked on top....:roflblack:

Bob Denman
01-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Now my mind is running rampant with all of the possibilities, and it ain't looking too good! :shocked: :roflblack: :joke:

DR Buck
01-25-2013, 06:42 PM
This is what I have found that works very well!
http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-159-helmetlok-quikloop.aspx

KYSPYDER

That's the lock I use to hook the helmets together through the Corbin seat back.

Lamonster
01-25-2013, 06:51 PM
Another reason I never unhook my trailer :doorag:

Blue Star
01-25-2013, 07:06 PM
At Spyder In The Redwoods 2012 one rider had left his helmet on the bike over night, and had it stolen. This was with a parking lot full (70 plus) of bikes. I will lock or carry my helmet unless I am at a PGR mission or group ride, and not far from the bike. When I went to SITR2012 most of the time we took our helmets into the restaurant with us. My daughter got so many compliments on how pretty her helmet (my wife's) is. That was on my RS, but need to get those helmet lock extenders for my RT.

RMROCK
01-25-2013, 07:07 PM
I lock my helmet and jacket to the bike. I run the cable through the jacket arm then to the helmet to the arm rest.

SPYD3R
01-25-2013, 07:15 PM
BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY..... LOCK'm UP...

bruiser
01-25-2013, 07:25 PM

Dude, you just ain't right. But then neither am I. Went to a Cracker Barrel for lunch the other day, asked the waitress for a diet water. Shoulda seen the look on her face.

Kagey_98
01-25-2013, 07:32 PM
My Wife and I both wear full face W/Sena's installed. I put mine the the Frunk, her's fits in the "passenger" saddle bag. Oddly enough, upside down & backwards fits...
2012 Spyder RT...

CMA Cowboy
01-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Locally I leave my shorty on the bike. I put my gloves under the dash and helmet covering them. Seems all the bikers around here leave their helmets on the seat, mirror on ground next to the bike. In the city environment we usually lock it in the frunk or trunk.

EddieK
01-25-2013, 07:56 PM
If there is room in the frunk that's where the helmet goes, but if the bags are loaded it's where ever there's room. Of course when were on the run everything go into the room at night.

Motorcycledave
01-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Get a cable lock or ??? and lock your $800.00 investment up.

Bandit
01-25-2013, 11:42 PM
Generally speaking, I just hang the Helmet on the handle bars....and leave the .357 holster on the seat! Makes'm wonder! :doorag::b2b:

tbhlaw
01-25-2013, 11:58 PM
Brought PAC Safe helmet bag for me and my wife. Bag has wire mesh embedded in it; and the bag locks around handle bars.

wa3wheels
01-26-2013, 01:32 AM
Out of sight..... Out of mind !! :duh:

ulflyer
01-26-2013, 07:11 AM
I leave it on the Spyder & use it to cover the GPS.
Never had it touched.

Me too, until last year, 75 mi from home, came out of resturant and it was GONE! Went to nearby Walmart and got one of those bicycle helmets with holes. Fig if cop stopped me he would likely believe the story of this old dude with funny helmet. Gotta say, the darn thing was comfortable and airy. Just before I turned off interstate trooper was behind me for about a mile but went on. Now it goes in the frunk.

stormtrooper
01-26-2013, 09:53 AM
I thought most people would leave the helmet on the seat of the spyder and leave their 100 pound pitbull next to the spyder :joke:

IGETAROUND
01-26-2013, 10:42 AM

Oh I DO like your sense of humor Pickelhead:yes::roflblack::roflblack:

kevorama
01-26-2013, 12:36 PM
It depends on helmets in use and our location. We have Sena's in our modular, but I rarely wear mine. Even in cold weather ryding I'll put on slim ear muffs and a face mask and wear my half shell. If I have the video cams on my helmet I'll take them off and store them in one of the trunks. Here in this area crime is fairly low. Most people conceal carry and therefore leave other folks stuff alone.

rock
01-26-2013, 02:00 PM
there is a helmet lock on these bikes. but many helmets dont have long enough straps to be use full. our wireless com system eliminates our using the helmet locks. we have been lucky and not had any thing stolen but even the best intentions are an opertunity for the wrong person.

NancysToy
01-26-2013, 02:33 PM
there is a helmet lock on these bikes. but many helmets dont have long enough straps to be use full. our wireless com system eliminates our using the helmet locks. we have been lucky and not had any thing stolen but even the best intentions are an opertunity for the wrong person.
There are a number of solutions to the short strap problem, from zip-ties to cable locks, to gun locks. The best thing to do with the comm systems is to remove them and stash them in the trunks or bags, or stash the helmets in the front and right side bag. If all that doesn't work for you, PacSafe made the Lid-Safe helmet bag (http://pacsafe.com/lidsafe-anti-theft-helmet-bag), which can be locked to the Spyder/bike. I'm not sure if they are still in production, but a dealer somewhere may still have some if they are not.

Bob Denman
01-26-2013, 02:52 PM
BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY..... LOCK'm UP...

:agree:
:agree::agree:

happyspyder2039
01-26-2013, 07:20 PM
I usually use a gun lock thru helmet around chin opening to passenger handlebar

Schnauzer
01-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Only when were on a road trip and not around our local surroundings.. My helmet is unique, so if they take it, they better strip it,, cause when I find it, it'll come back with a head attached.

:doorag:

DocRags
01-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Depends. If we're riding with the 3/4 helmets with the comm, we lock them up in the frunks. If we're in an area where we will be away for a few hours (mall, cinema) we lock everything away and lock the steering too.
Me, too. Some folks we ride with have had their helmets stolen off their bike before so I tend to err on the side of caution. Like the others said, if we're in a group or on a PGR mission, we tend to leave them on the bike.