PDA

View Full Version : Battery Life?

viperryder
01-25-2013, 09:23 AM
I may have missed this as a post, but what is the expected life of a Spyder battery? I have put mine on a battery tender all the time when not riding and is garaged all the time.:banghead:

NancysToy
01-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Batteries generally have minds of their own. Some last a year or less, while others can last a decade. Most Spyder owners seem to be seeing 3-5 years.

arntufun
01-25-2013, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure ?????? My 2008 Spyder still has the same battery in it from 6 years ago (made in 07), and it's still going strong. This is the best OEM motorcycle battery I have every owned. :thumbup:

Some people will complain about the life of this OEM battery. I just don't pay attention to their complaints because they have every light and gadget hooked to their Spyder. The Spyders charging system can't keep up with the demand some owners asks of it.

IMO.....Alot of stuff on the Spyder is made from cheap parts, but the battery is not one of those items.

SPYD3R
01-25-2013, 09:59 AM
I JUST REPLACED MINE THIS PAST WEDNESDAY... 26,000 MILES ON MY 2009 SPYD3R....
about average, i'd say.... BATTERIES + $106

Trickie Dick
01-25-2013, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure ?????? My 2008 Spyder still has the same battery in it from 6 years ago (made in 07), and it's still going strong. This is the best OEM motorcycle battery I have every owned. :thumbup:

Some people will complain about the life of this OEM battery. I just don't pay attention to their complaints because they have every light and gadget hooked to their Spyder. The Spyders charging system can't keep up with the demand some owners asks of it.

IMO.....Alot of stuff on the Spyder is made from ch 08eap parts, but the battery is not one of those items.
:agree: I also have an 08 with the original battery. I've had a replacement sitting on the shelf for a year waiting on the original to fail. :popcorn:

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-25-2013, 10:51 AM
I JUST REPLACED MINE THIS PAST WEDNESDAY... 26,000 MILES ON MY 2009 SPYD3R....
about average, i'd say.... BATTERIES + $106
60763 Mileage is not a proper life guage for Batteries....only TIME is.....IMHO...Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-25-2013, 12:09 PM
:agree: :thumbup: I'm tentatively planning on a pre-emptive replacement strike this Spring. A bit less than 3 years on it so far.
Reason: I don't want an issue during the middle of the riding season to steal away any saddle time! :2thumbs:

Chupaca
01-25-2013, 12:53 PM
:agree: Both apply, and the combination will tell. Thats why the life of the battery differs with each rider. How many bells and whistles are used and location (weather)..:thumbup:

jerpinoy
01-25-2013, 01:02 PM

IMO.....Alot of stuff on the Spyder is made from cheap parts, but the battery is not one of those items.

:agree:Ain't that the truth:roflblack::roflblack:

asp125
01-25-2013, 01:43 PM
On average, 3-5yrs. Factors that reduce battery life: starts from very hot/cold temperatures, not using a battery tender, parasitic draw from clocks & instruments etc when parked, high current demands from accessories, lights, heated gear etc, as well as just simple ageing from charge/discharge cycles.

coz
01-25-2013, 06:58 PM
mine was activated in sept. of 08 according to the label on it. it just quit last month. i've had the bike since may of 11. it was on a battery tender year round. 4@1/2 years it lasted. only arntufun's battery is going to last ten years, until Holly finds out how old it is.:roflblack::lecturef_smilie::roflblack:

3whlLefty
01-25-2013, 07:29 PM
My 09 first sold in Jan of 2009 and has the original battery. This week I started it after it had been parked since the middle of Oct. No charger/tender of any kind. It started right up as if it had been used daily. I was impressed and maybe very lucky. I rode for about 50 miles and rolled in onto 11K miles, great fun and glad to see it warm enough to be riding.

I'm also thinking I'll order a new Odyssey this spring. Hate to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a konked out battery.