PDA

View Full Version : You can't eat just One.

otter28169
01-24-2013, 09:57 PM
I am worried about this ryding season, and it may seem like a joke. I assure you it is not though. This season will be my first full season of spyder ownership and I want to go everywhere and ryde with everyone. Does anybody have a good system to narrow down the list of rallies, and events to a manageable size. There are so many events to do and I am worried I will do some that are not good for first time ryders, or miss some that I should be attending. Time and money are very real constraints. Any advice will be appreciated.

rnet
01-24-2013, 10:08 PM
I won't be there this year, but you need to go to Americade. Hook up with Randy. I will be in Alaska.

otter28169
01-24-2013, 10:12 PM
I won't be there this year, but you need to go to Americade. Hook up with Randy. I will be in Alaska.

NancysToy
01-24-2013, 10:14 PM
You can't do everything...and you may not be ready to, anyway. I'd suggest you start with something close. Learn your limits, those of the Spyder, your road preferences, your equipment/attire needs, and your interests. Americade is in your neighborhood, although it is not mainly Spyders. From there you can plan better for the next trip or season. The one exception to this rule would be Spyderfest. It is the premiere event, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. If you are up to the journey...make it! You won't be sorry.

SpyderAnn01
01-24-2013, 10:28 PM
You can't do everything...and you may not be ready to, anyway. I'd suggest you start with something close. Learn your limits, those of the Spyder, your road preferences, your equipment/attire needs, and your interests. Americade is in your neighborhood, although it is not mainly Spyders. From there you can plan better for the next trip or season. The one exception to this rule would be Spyderfest. It is the premiere event, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. If you are up to the journey...make it! You won't be sorry.

:agree: also if you can make Spyders in the Adirondacks I think you would enjoy it. That is typically held in early August in Lake Placid, NY

Wiredux
01-24-2013, 10:30 PM
This year is going to be my first full season as well with the Spyder. The longest I have been on it was from Eastern NC over to Charlotte, about 240 miles (4.5 hours). Ill be headed out to Spyderfest in MO (1100 Miles - 2 Days). I took 2012 to learn what I can and can not do on it of course reading as much as I can here as well. Just today I put in every Spyder Dealer from NC, TN, KY and MO in my GPS. Never know when you are going to need to know where one is close by when you are on the road.

otter28169
01-24-2013, 10:40 PM
:agree: also if you can make Spyders in the Adirondacks I think you would enjoy it. That is typically held in early August in Lake Placid, NY

SITA is on the, "most likely" list. As I am approximately 4 hours from Lake Placid. Don't know if I can handle the trip to Spyderfest:dontknow: .

arntufun
01-25-2013, 06:51 AM
Chad,

I agree Americade and SITA should be on your list for the first year. We will be at both, and your more than welcome to hook up with us. I will try to organize a ride and eat at Americade since Ron (Rnet) will be missed this year. He usually does it and did a great job in previous years.

Since both of these events are only a few hours away from you, that alone will save you $. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-25-2013, 08:39 AM
:agree: Those two rallies should be a real good starting point... :2thumbs:
Once you pick those correct six numbers, that's when the sky becomes the limit! :shocked:

Oldmanzues
01-25-2013, 09:28 AM
I would suggest reading the posters for the events. Ask other other riders what they really mean. Most V twins event do really mean any V twin. Depending on your desires, a event poster that says no one under 18 would be a red flag for me.
I would agree with all the events above, but where is the BBQ in here ??????
Oldmanzues

otter28169
01-25-2013, 09:39 AM
The BBQ at Lamont's should be easy. I have In-laws down there that I love to go visit. I definitely haven't taken that one off the list yet.

bruiser
01-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Have you done many group rides? That's where you need to have experience. Start out with small groups and work up. Make sure, if you can, that the group lead has experience too. I've been on group rides where the lead was supposedly experienced and we ended up pulling out of the ride because of big problems caused by the leader. Remember that what happens up front translates to the rear. Group rides are not for the inexperienced rider. In our MC I'm the tailgunner, mainly because of the size of the Spyder and the fact that I constantly read the line ahead. I have also led group rides, as you can see in my avatar. As Scotty said, you can't do them all even if you wanted to. Do what you feel comfortable with. Remember this, if it doesn't feel right or if it's not fun, don't be afraid to drop out.

wyliec
01-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Ingles Power Sports (Phoenix, NY) would be a good place to get your feet wet for a group ride; not to big or to small. Can't remember if it is in April or May that they put on a ride. Some where during the ride they also sponsor a lunch.

otter28169
01-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Have you done many group rides? That's where you need to have experience. Start out with small groups and work up. Make sure, if you can, that the group lead has experience too. I've been on group rides where the lead was supposedly experienced and we ended up pulling out of the ride because of big problems caused by the leader. Remember that what happens up front translates to the rear. Group rides are not for the inexperienced rider. In our MC I'm the tailgunner, mainly because of the size of the Spyder and the fact that I constantly read the line ahead. I have also led group rides, as you can see in my avatar. As Scotty said, you can't do them all even if you wanted to. Do what you feel comfortable with. Remember this, if it doesn't feel right or if it's not fun, don't be afraid to drop out.

I have never done a group ryde on my spyder. I have done a bunch on a snowmobile and am usually the "tailgunner" on those rides, but that probably doesn't translate well. I am a group ryding rookie, that's my story. I have done rides with 4-5 bikes before, but that's as big a group as I have traveled with on the road.

arntufun
01-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Ingles Power Sports (Phoenix, NY) would be a good place to get your feet wet for a group ride; not to big or to small. Can't remember if it is in April or May that they put on a ride. Some where during the ride they also sponsor a lunch.

Thats right I forgot about that one. :thumbup: That would be perfect for you Chad and real close to you !!!!! We went two years ago and had a great time.

harrypottar
01-25-2013, 01:59 PM
I did Americade, Magog Quesbec and SITA last year among others.

Americade is a zoo but you can still have a good time, I normally just go that last weekend, Friday-Sunday. Magog was a blast, great weather extremely hot, lots and lots of Spyders. Plenty of mini tours and very friendly will be going up there again, its just across the boarder make sure you have your passport and insurance card for the spyder. SITA was fun the weather could have been better but out of our control a lot spyders and good friends.

harry

rnet
01-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Ah, but Harry it's only a zoo on Friday and Sat night. I just sit back and watch the festivities after I have walked Canada Street and checked out all the bikes. Then when had enough I leave town and go party back at the campgrounds. You need to do the week. The best thing I like is the rides and over 500 venders.

Bob Denman
01-25-2013, 06:05 PM
:agree: The view up through Lake George... BOTH ssides of the road lined with bikes for as far as you can see... Nothing but bike traffic around you...
It's awe-inspiring! :thumbup: