PDA

View Full Version : The Gas Cap...

Chupaca
01-23-2013, 02:51 AM
Seen a lot about the gas cap exchange. I got mine in the mail same as many. I have a 2012 RS and did not have a gas smell during the 3500 miles I have put on it. I replaced the gas cap and now I have the gasoline smell after a long ride (75 and sunny today).

The old cap may have let the tank breath just a bit and now with the stronger seal more pressure builds up and send the gases to the now famous canister. Some of the ryders here have also noticed the same. Considering just going back to the old cap....bit of a pack rat so I still have it..:dontknow:

Captain Fin
01-23-2013, 05:03 AM
Seen a lot about the gas cap exchange. I got mine in the mail same as many. I have a 2012 RS and did not have a gas smell during the 3500 miles I have put on it. I replaced the gas cap and now I have the gasoline smell after a long ride (75 and sunny today).

The old cap may have let the tank breath just a bit and now with the stronger seal more pressure builds up and send the gases to the now famous canister. Some of the ryders here have also noticed the same. Considering just going back to the old cap....bit of a pack rat so I still have it..:dontknow:

Is this reverse engineering? I tossed my old one. I wish I had still had the old one.

NancysToy
01-23-2013, 08:35 AM
If you suddenly have the odor after replacing the cap, have your purge valve tested...and be sure not to fill the gas fast or overfill.