PDA

View Full Version : oil leak

Tx web rider
01-20-2013, 07:09 PM
on my way home today i noticed a smell of burning oil

it wasn't the usual puff that the rs gets on occasion this was a continuous smell

i pulled over saw some oil splatter down the rear of the bike went to the right side saw more on the silencer and the bags

looked in the port where the radiator is and there was a decent amount on the inside and on my foot boards

i checked the oil level was a little low so i topped it back to full and drove the 15 miles to the next town gassed it up and topped the oil off now it was near the bottom of the stick

my silencer is covered as well as my foot board and getting gas a small puddle on the ground

drove it 45 mph the last 20 miles home ( no trailer available) it didn't want to idle when i came to a stop light so i had to keep the throttle cracked a bit

made it home and it died as i went down my driveway
pulled some panels left and right the right side was covered in oil splatter where the fan had spread it

anyone have an idea where so much oil might be coming from ?

DrewNJ
01-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Yikes! Could be from a number of places. Really need to pull the Tupperware and look further.
Nice work though with keeping oil in it to get you where you need to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcaccamise
01-20-2013, 08:53 PM
I would suggest degreasing the motor first and after its clean run the motor up to temp and see if you can spot the leak look from the rocker boxes down that much oil leaking out should be easy to see
Good luck hope you find an easy fix.

Tx web rider
01-21-2013, 12:55 PM
pulled the air box cover this morning and has this sicking sound of oil pouring out of it onto the ground below the box was very full of oil

talked to a BRP mechanic i know and he had me check the breather tube from the rear cover and it wasn't blocked

then he said try adding a bottle of sea-foam to the oil to have it eat any buildup in the oil ports away causing the over excessive amount of oil being pumped int my air box

hope this works if not its expensive shop tear down time :pray:

BajaRon
01-21-2013, 01:35 PM
pulled the air box cover this morning and has this sicking sound of oil pouring out of it onto the ground below the box was very full of oil

talked to a BRP mechanic i know and he had me check the breather tube from the rear cover and it wasn't blocked

then he said try adding a bottle of sea-foam to the oil to have it eat any buildup in the oil ports away causing the over excessive amount of oil being pumped int my air box

Good luck with that. After you've got things cleaned up try this. It works.

Bajaron's oil catch can (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?18008-Bajaron-s-oil-catch-can&highlight=catch+bajaron)

jerpinoy
01-21-2013, 01:38 PM
:opps: That's a lot of oil, It could be a lot of thing that causes, possibly too much oil, for me I will take your:spyder2:to the dealer.

boborgera
01-21-2013, 01:44 PM

I could be wrong, I think you are getting Blow-by, Most times it's caused by Over filling the oil tank.
And if I'm right NO tear down is needed, Do a search on blow-by
P/S DON'T ADD any thing more to your oil till you make sure you didn't over fill in the first place,
Because if you did it'll just blow back out.

DrewNJ
01-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Unless you've got super high miles, expecting to find a blockage and adding Seafoam as a cure is BS advice IMHO.....:sour:

BajaRon
01-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Unless you've got super high miles, expecting to find a blockage and adding Seafoam as a cure is BS advice IMHO.....:sour:

:agree:

Though overfilling might be the issue, blow-by through the crank case vent is common on the early Spyders.

mcaccamise
01-21-2013, 04:07 PM
That would have to be some serious blow by maybe a bag gasket oil leaking out someware and running down droping off the frame.

BajaRon
01-21-2013, 04:10 PM
That would have to be some serious blow by maybe a bag gasket oil leaking out someware and running down droping off the frame.

Not necessarily. A little oil goes a long way. Depends on how long it's been blowing by and the reason. If it is overfilling then it can happen pretty quickly. My Spyder had about 1/2 a cup in the air box in a fairly short period of time. I caught it quickly or there would have been a lot more.

Tx web rider
01-21-2013, 04:31 PM
2009 rs 42k miles i do ride it hard i don't baby this machine but i don't abuse it (no over red line ,no shift low rpm )

and adding sea-foam keeps buildup out of the journals and the fuel system clean

i only added the sea foam till it returned to the full mark on the stick which was about 8 oz

take to dealer looks like its the place its going to bad its 150 miles away

as far as overfilling i do the recommended checking of the oil let it get to full temp and then shut down and check i keep it a little under the max line to keep blow by down

when i was at the dealer the other day only 2 weeks after an oil change so i know it was the proper level it was checked that morning by BRP standards the mechanic working on it said i was over full but he showed me the stick some 2 hours after it had been on the stand is making me think this has not been flowing back properly for a while

after letting the bike sit with the sea foam in it a while i got the new clamp i needed and a new air-filter fired it up with the panels removed and it was puking oil all along both valve cover gaskets between the gasket and the cover so i killed it

i checked the bolts they are tight

guess its dealer bound now :banghead::banghead:

BajaRon
01-21-2013, 05:17 PM
2009 rs 42k miles i do ride it hard i don't baby this machine but i don't abuse it (no over red line ,no shift low rpm )

and adding sea-foam keeps buildup out of the journals and the fuel system clean

i only added the sea foam till it returned to the full mark on the stick which was about 8 oz

take to dealer looks like its the place its going to bad its 150 miles away

as far as overfilling i do the recommended checking of the oil let it get to full temp and then shut down and check i keep it a little under the max line to keep blow by down

when i was at the dealer the other day only 2 weeks after an oil change so i know it was the proper level it was checked that morning by BRP standards the mechanic working on it said i was over full but he showed me the stick some 2 hours after it had been on the stand is making me think this has not been flowing back properly for a while

after letting the bike sit with the sea foam in it a while i got the new clamp i needed and a new air-filter fired it up with the panels removed and it was puking oil all along both valve cover gaskets between the gasket and the cover so i killed it

i checked the bolts they are tight

guess its dealer bound now :banghead::banghead:

Not good, sounds like pressure buildup in the crank case maybe, blowing out your VC gaskets.

I understand that Sea Foam will keep things clean, but using good oil and changing it at proper intervals, you're not going to get any appreciable 'buildup' in the Rotax. Something else is afoot here.

DrewNJ
01-21-2013, 07:49 PM
I agree, unless you've got those 42k miles on the original oil I doubt its because of buildup/gunk/sludge from the oil clogging anything up.
Something else is definitely going on....

Curious...Are you by any chance running foam or anything in the crankcase breather line to the air filter??

Keep at it, and keep us posted on what you find......I hate to see this stuff happen...:sour:
Good Luck!

boborgera
01-21-2013, 10:15 PM
If you had the valves adjusted, or checked when you had it at the dealer, I'm thinking valve cover gaskets.
Not sealing or they reused the old ones , :dontknow:

Tx web rider
01-22-2013, 01:13 AM
only thing i had done was replace the missing e brake cable (don't ask long story about a different dealer that is not a licensed BRP dealer anymore (south texas suzuki in Lytle Texas ))

no the oil was replaced every 5k miles since i had it most changes by myself some by the dealers

yes i placed some foam in the breather tube today not a large piece but enough to slow the oil flow upwards

i will remove it tomorrow and start it again and see if there is a difference not expecting one

i have noticed the last 2 oil changes there has been an issue with shifting the se5 for a couple weeks after the change was done where it didn't want to respond to the command to down shift manually

i didnt own this bike from new who know what was done prior to my ownership

i did experience a hard backfire 2 days ago through the carbs

xpbqn
01-28-2013, 04:04 PM
Looks similar to my oil leak except mine is not as bad as yours (yet). According to dealer, they said it's the seal broken on my motor case and the water pump. At least 5 parts were ordered in order to have it fixed. I just dropped my bike off on Saturday and suppose to pick it up sometime on Wednesday if I have a ride there, if not, it'll be this coming Saturday.

Tx web rider
02-19-2013, 06:48 PM
well for an update on my oil leak

after the bike going to the dealer for this issue

they replaced the valve cover gaskets(that were leaking now) to no avail still puking into the air box

so they did more checking of the motor and found the forward cylinder has a pressure of 95 and the rear is 205 (more normal reading)

they tore into the motor to find the rings on the forward cylinder seem to be scoring the cylinder wall to allow the blow by of the oil

now for the part that disturbs me BRP oil and filters on a regular interval and BRP might not fix this on the BEST warranty :banghead::banghead::banghead:

this is irritating

i love my spyder why why why

NancysToy
02-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Time to run a compression check, or better yet a leakdown test. The combination of the hard backfire and the oil pumped to the airbox is a strong indicator of serious engine problems.

Tx web rider
02-19-2013, 08:47 PM
they did a compression check 95 and 205 hmmm

NancysToy
02-19-2013, 09:01 PM
they did a compression check 95 and 205 hmmm
That is a sign of severe damage in one cylinder. I can't find a compression test spec for the Spyder, but they should be equal, and they are typically closer to 200 or more. The next step is to perform a leakdown test to locate the base source of the problem....or you could simply have them tear down the engine to see what they find. That is going to be necessary anyway. Possibilities include broken piston rings, scored cyclinder, a hole in a piston, and others. I'm afraid your Spyder is seriously wounded, with a blown engine...sorry.

Tx web rider
02-20-2013, 01:36 AM
the mechanic said he opened it up looks like the wall is scarred heavily the top 2 rings he said were fused the oil seal looked decent but you can see past that's causing my oil puking overpressure the crank

bad part he is talking like BRP is not going to cover this damage

what the hell good is a BEST warranty for if not things like this

said he will tear it down to see the lower half of the cylinder to see if the damage is further down also

the bike was running fine then started puking oil i even limped it home 30 miles under 45 mph but it had plenty of power stopped to add oil 2 times

had no trailer to get it home otherwise