PDA

View Full Version : Glo Ryders

William S.
01-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Hello everybody

I have a stupid question about glo ryder lights. My wife and I really want them on our bikes but I cant find out if there legal in colorado. the only thing I can find is they may be legal but not while driving. The main reason we want them is to be more visable at night so......HELP

Thanks

Sparticus

ckiblue
01-20-2013, 02:17 AM
GloRyder Wheel Lights are against the law

found out something to night. got stopped by the kc mo police and was told the the red or blue colors are for emergency vehicles only. so called ks police told same thing that any shade of red or blue are for emergency vehicles only. the police told me if a shop put them on that they are doing it against the law. boy I like the blue on the front but now on recorded that I have been told about it. the next time I get a ticket i guess.

Tierhog
01-20-2013, 03:38 AM
One tiny little exclusion of. CHECK LOCAL LAWS and they are fine. When hyperwhite blue headlights were the rage in Californian everyone was getting pulled over. Well.. Everyone except OEM HID and they were more white than blue.
Yellow would be ok.

Cavman
01-20-2013, 04:00 AM
I was at the owner's event in CO this past Summer. I have yellow GloRiders and there was no problem. I've ridden in GA, AL, TN, NC, CO, MO, with no problems so far.

I would think since they are in the front, anything in white or yellow would be fine. Maybe even green? I would stay away from orange as the blue meanies may think it's too close to red. Maybe the same for purple?

mcaccamise
01-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Unless you are riding an emergency :spyder2:red or blue may be a problem in your state,Theres has been some discussion about flashing lights drawing the attention of other drivers and drawing there attention to them.

ringalls51
01-20-2013, 08:02 AM
looks like we will be having all the colors to use except red, and blue, purple. tried and look what colors are on the new one. could not find out. so i guess were are going to be using all except the red and blue. I still think it is not right you can not see the lights from the front only on the side.

ringalls51
01-20-2013, 08:05 AM
wife wants to add lights under the spyder ks police stated that is ok as long as you can not see the bulb. what makes the differences. if you see the bulb or light don't understand

Bob Denman
01-20-2013, 09:03 AM
Check your State and Local DMV laws; most of them can be found out here on the 'net anyway! :thumbup:

bruiser
01-20-2013, 11:02 AM
AS was said, it all depends on the state. I run red on my Viper Red '12 RTS. Kris runs blue on her Orbital Blue '10 RTS. Never had a problem running in NC or Tenn.

my3gs
01-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Am wondering what we can run at spyderfest?? maybe Len an ask an see what is accetable around springfield an ozark??????:popcorn:

Blue Star
01-20-2013, 11:25 AM
GloRyder Wheel Lights are against the law

found out something to night. got stopped by the kc mo police and was told the the red or blue colors are for emergency vehicles only. so called ks police told same thing that any shade of red or blue are for emergency vehicles only. the police told me if a shop put them on that they are doing it against the law. boy I like the blue on the front but now on recorded that I have been told about it. the next time I get a ticket i guess. so gloyder.com are selling illegal lights for the spyders. have to call and talk to them about it

:agree: I was at Target and bought a valve stem cover that had color changing LED's (for bicycles) to see how they looked. I liked the lights, but my mechanic did not. Told me that it could give me trouble with LEO since red or blue lights are reserved for emergency vehicles, and when the wheels turn it can look like they are flashing. I asked him about other colors, and he said any other color is fine. When I told him that I had them on for awhile (about 2000 miles) he said I got lucky, and was not pulled over for it. I live in California, so this is only for California laws.

kevorama
01-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Hello everybody

I have a stupid question about glo ryder lights. My wife and I really want them on our bikes but I cant find out if there legal in colorado. the only thing I can find is they may be legal but not while driving. The main reason we want them is to be more visable at night so......HELP

Thanks

Sparticus

With the new GloRyders it's not really an issue. Since they are remote controlled, you can change colors on the fly. I'd purchase them and ride your bikes to the local, county and state boys (if they are close to you) and show them what they look like. If they say that the red and blue are illegal then run one of the many other colors instead. I would also ask the captain, chief or sheriff to make a note on the back of one of his cards, saying that you are within the legal laws of running them. Have those cards laminated and keep them in your bike(s). In the event that you are pulled over you can show them that you went out of your way to make sure that everything you did was in effort to be legally safe.

I've been running red, green and purple on my Viper Red RTS and trailer and have never been pulled over. The LED mudflap most likely draws attention away from the wheel hubs at night.
Good luck!

Arr MiHardies
01-20-2013, 12:58 PM
I checked with local LEOs in the Vegas area before doing any lighting. According to them, here, on a motorcycle, all colors are legal, as long as they aren't flashing red or blue.

rock
01-20-2013, 01:06 PM
red and blue lights are illegal in all most all states...but as long as you behave your self many look the other way...when we go to ocean city bike week, they tend to let bikes alone and we run our lights.. we have close to 300 lights, seven color auto changing with wireless remote and run them in change mode almost always and have never been bothered. it is prob best not to run them if your state makes them illegal..

Bob Denman
01-20-2013, 01:10 PM
:agree: Don't pin a target on your own back... After all; those are emergency vehicle colors. :thumbup:

ckiblue
01-20-2013, 06:17 PM
One tiny little exclusion of. CHECK LOCAL LAWS and they are fine. When hyperwhite blue headlights were the rage in Californian everyone was getting pulled over. Well.. Everyone except OEM HID and they were more white than blue.
Yellow would be ok.

just wonder, what & when you need to check the law when adding new stuff to the spyder, you (meaning I of course) never give that a thought when you buy it and add it to the spyder, does there happen to be a list out there of the things you add that need to be checked?

Sorry since I believe being the opposite sex here in this group and driving only a few months I'm new too this all together and didn't know there was "rules" for lights & stuff that you can and can't have. Didn't even think about it being different from state to state on so many different things. How do you keep it all straight? Where is this book of "rules" I can find, without learning the hard way:banghead:

ckiblue
01-20-2013, 06:18 PM
:agree: Don't pin a target on your own back... After all; those are emergency vehicle colors. :thumbup:

I'm surprised that let us have "red" brake lights, that's on their systems toooooooo, :banghead:

ARtraveler
01-20-2013, 06:28 PM
I posted this in the other GloRyder thread that is running--but it seems appropriate:

I was always a little hinky about using cop colors--blue/red so have never used those on any of my :ani29:'s.

Used purple on my 2008 and pink on the 2009. This was the combo that we had a State Trooper drive past us and gave me a thumbs up on the light show.

Currently using yellow on the 2010 and purple on the 2011. No problems or interaction with the LEO's on these yet.

As mentioned above--check with what will fly in your area or areas you are planning on driving through.

kevorama
01-20-2013, 08:44 PM
This site covers more than the 50 states and a few other countries, as well. If you're worried about what you can add or not, check your local state's laws. There's nothing more to be said about this issues. It is your responsibility to check on that. Sorry if I sound 'pissy', but it's not this forum's responsibility to cater to every city's, county's, state's, or country's etc. legality as to what light colors you can or can't run.

BTW - GloyRyders in general aren't illegal

ckiblue
01-21-2013, 12:07 AM
This site covers more than the 50 states and a few other countries, as well. If you're worried about what you can add or not, check your local state's laws. There's nothing more to be said about this issues. It is your responsibility to check on that. Sorry if I sound 'pissy', but it's not this forum's responsibility to cater to every city's, county's, state's, or country's etc. legality as to what light colors you can or can't run.

BTW - GloyRyders in general aren't illegal

That wasn't the thought, it's about the education that is available from all the other riders out there and to warn others of it before it happens to them. A discussion, communication between friends and future friends, possibly. Yes, the thread could have/should have been worded differently, but it sure has gotten alot of info. out there that may have not been aware of before. Best intentions to all, sorry if I was misunderstood.

Caught every one's attention, and everyone has brought alot to the table. Knowledge is great from others, sure beats the "hard knocks" of life that can happen. So I won't par take in this discussion any more, just wanted to clarify, sorry it seems to have caused such a ruckus.

Thanks for the info. that was provided & hope others have had the opportunity to learn from it.