PDA

View Full Version : What Was Your First Car?

NancysToy
01-19-2013, 11:59 AM
OK, Dave started this topic on his blog. I think Teddy put him up to it. What was the first car you owned yourself? If you would like, you could also tell what you learned to drive in or first drove.

My first car was a 1954 Chevy 4-door Belaire. Robins-egg blue and white, two-tone. It used a gallon of oil a week...mostly leaked out of the rear seal whenever I went up a hill. It served me well until I drove my girlfriend to work one day, she went to stand on the floor to get out, and put her foot all the way through to the ground. She was really mad that it ruined her nylons. That was the beginning of the end...she wouldn't ride in it anymore.

I learned to drive in a 1930 Model A Ford...a hardtop pickup (yes, they had roadster pickups, too). I still love Model A's.

boborgera
01-19-2013, 12:17 PM
The first car i owned and paid for myself was a New 1964 Plymouth [remember them?] Barracuda 273 V8,
Out the door, 26 hundred dollars. Before that my ride was a 59 Mercury [remember them?] with a 430 Lincoln engine. Oh and that 430 got 18 mpg, But who cared when Gas was 18/20 cents a gal and with a fill up 6 drinking glasses,; Gas wars those were the days, And nobody got shot during those wars.:thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-19-2013, 12:19 PM
1945 Willy MB... :thumbup:
I road-tested in a 1972 Jeep Wagoneer; passed on the first try! :ohyea:

flamingobabe
01-19-2013, 12:23 PM
I learned to drive in the hay pasture...in an old flatbed truck?..3 on the floor...I was not big enough to pick-up the hay bales so I drove...if I jerked in my shifting the guys would beat me up...I learned real quick to use the clutch....my sister was 2 years older...her 1st car
we had to share when I turned 16...that did not work well...so my dad found me this gem
except he painted it red and white....I drove it thru 11th grade...then my next car was
this was the cat's meow...every time you filled up with gas..it took a quart of oil.....my 1st brand new car was a Pinto...:gaah:

JkRbbt
01-19-2013, 12:27 PM
A hand-me-down 1957 Studebaker Economy from my Grandpa. A green/white top with a 6-cylinder you could put in a shoe box, vacuum wipers that would stall when you went up a hill or accelerated, one arm rest for the driver and a defog that was so inefficient I had to have my girl friend sit next to me with an ice scraper and scrape the INSIDE of the windshield. In the end, I was getting almost 60 miles to a quart of used tractor oil. But had a ball with it because it was indestructible! Good first car.

d.o.spyder-rts
01-19-2013, 12:36 PM
My first car was a used 1960 Ford Fairlane my uncle bought for me as partial payment for working on the farm that summer. The first one I bought, from another uncle, was a 1967 Mustang fastback-still wish I had that one. Dale

boborgera
01-19-2013, 12:45 PM
.my 1st brand new car was a Pinto...:gaah:

There were rumors that Ronson did the design work on the Pinto for Ford.:roflblack:
I had a 73 Pinto, The most under powered car i ever had, My 45 Jeep would out run it.

Bob Denman
01-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Are you referring to the "Special Edition, July 4th" model?? :shocked: :roflblack:

Mo Lee
01-19-2013, 01:02 PM
I learned to drive in the hay pasture...in an old flatbed truck?..3 on the floor...I was not big enough to pick-up the hay bales so I drove...if I jerked in my shifting the guys would beat me up...I learned real quick to use the clutch....my sister was 2 years older...her 1st car
we had to share when I turned 16...that did not work well...so my dad found me this gem
except he painted it red and white....I drove it thru 11th grade...then my next car was
this was the cat's meow...every time you filled up with gas..it took a quart of oil.....my 1st brand new car was a Pinto...:gaah:
I guess we have another thing in common. This was probably my third summer driving this.

paulbrinker
01-19-2013, 01:04 PM
How about a 52 Plymouth three window coup that I resurrected from a junk yard and had it painted phantom blue by Earl Schibe. Flat head six with three on the column and a portable transistor radio laying on the back panel.
Graduated to a 56 Ford Country Squire station wagon with the cowboy vinyl interior.

Bob Denman
01-19-2013, 01:09 PM
There were rumors that Ronson did the design work on the Pinto for Ford.:roflblack:
I had a 73 Pinto, The most under powered car i ever had, My 45 Jeep would out run it.

Bob,
I Might have had a slower vehicle than that...
A Government fleet-spec aMC with a German 2 litre 4 cylinder engine... at 40 mph on level roadway; it would kick down a gear if you turned the air conditoning on! :shocked: :gaah:

I got passed on several uphill stretches by eighteen wheelers hauling concrete blocks! :opps:

arntufun
01-19-2013, 01:20 PM
1980 AMC Spirit 4 speed manual color silver !!!!!! :thumbup: Purchase price of $600.00 off a farmer. Put American Racing Mag rims on it, tinted the windows and put (2) 15" subwoofers in the hatchback.

One of my mag rims came off the rear of the car at 65 mph in Cape Cod (late at night). Sparks flew from the rear of the car until I got it to the side of the road. I did not find the wheel until daylight the next morning 1/4 mile down the road in the ditch. Long night, but great times !!!!!!! :roflblack:

This was not mine but it will give you an idea what they looked like.

bluestratos
01-19-2013, 01:38 PM
1956 Pontiac 4 door with straight 6. I paid $100 for the car in 1973 which turned out to be too much, lol.. It sure taught me alot about mechanics as it broke down about once a week. I could not afford parts so a local auto wrecker would let me come in and take out parts for free so I could get it running again.

retread
01-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Learned to drive in a 1939 Chevy Master 85 2 door, when my Grandfather got another car, I bought the 39 for $15 and put a 302 Jimmy in it, Wayne 12 port and a bunch of other stuff. Scared a lot of people with it, including myself.

john

Cavman
01-19-2013, 02:21 PM
A 1974 Nova, hatchback. Midnight blue metallic that I bought new. I even got the tent option from a dealer. You could lock up the hatch with hose clamps. Then slide the canvas tent over the back. Put down the rear seats and you were camping! There was a double zipper door flap to get in from the back and screened windows on each side. Outside flaps in case of rain to cover the windows.
it had a 3 speed manual and I had gotten the straight 250 cu.in. Thinking I was going to save some gas? NOT! No A/C. I cooked in that car during the hot muggy Summers in GA.

After two years, I went through about a dozen alternators or voltage regulators in the next two years. I discovered one night after I had just replaced another alternator and the GEN light started to glow, what was the cause of my problem? In order for GM to save a bit of money, they routed six wires across the hottest part of the engine. Across the valve cover where the exhaust manifold attached. One of the wires was shorting to the block all that time! So, I spliced in six inches of wire to each circuit and routed the wires under the exhaust manifold. Wrapped them in aluminum foil and secured it with zip ties. Never had a problem again.

My Dad had insisted that I got power steering when I ordered it for resale down the road. Wow. I sold it for $50 many years later. Just think, I might have gotten less if it weren't for that power steering!

bruiser
01-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Started out with a '56 Buick Roadmaster I inherited from my brother when he got drafted. Loved that old tank. A guy wrapped a brand new '68 Mustang around the front of it. I tried to fix the Buick but the frame was bent. Then I inherited my brother's '62 Bel Air. He wrecked that one for me just before he left for 'Nam. I fixed it and drove it until I got that welcome letter from Uncle Sam. The first car I bought was a '61 Impala, straight six. Plywood for a rear floor. Paid $300.00 for it. Drove it until the rear went out. Then I bought a '66 Chevy II. I so wish I still had that car. First new car was a '74 Nova hatchback, burgundy. Hatch leaked like a sive and couldn't keep speedometer cables in it.

ARtraveler
01-19-2013, 03:00 PM
This thread brings back some real memories from my favorite period for cars.

My first was a 1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88. Red & White. Purchased in 1966 for $150.00

Pennyrick
01-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Since I got my first one at age 15 I have now owned 63 cars. About half of them weren't worth keeping but I sure would love to have the other half back.

The first one was a 1930 Ford Model A. I found it in a farmer's field in southern Ontario in the summer of 1954. I towed it back to the Texaco station I worked at for my summer job and the owner of the station helped me get it on the road. We cut out some of the rust on the fenders, welded and leaded in new metal. Replaced the tires, cut plywood to replace the rusted out floorboards, re-made a set of my mother's old curtains for a new headliner, sanded and primed it and finished it with coats of ice box white paint. The back two cylinders were filled with water so we rebuilt the engine, installed new rings and bearings, re-cored the radiator and by the time school began in the fall.... I had my wheels ready to go.

With a top end speed of 52 miles per hour it took a long time to get from point A to B but eventually it got me there. Three speeds with no synchromesh in first taught me the need to double clutch when down shifting. A cool machine that seemed to attract the female of the species more than some of my friends who were running newer cars with V-8's.

MarkLawson
01-19-2013, 03:23 PM
'56 Ford F100 pickup truck. Powder blue, in fact the blue was somewhat powdery and would rub off on your clothes as you walked by it. Some previous owner had swapped out the V8 with a straight 6, with a 6-volt system! What a pain that was. Steering had a half turn of free play, so was also real fun to drive. Rust holes in the floorboard, like Scotty's, so there was a piece of plywood under the floormat.

What a mess that truck was...

kentompkins
01-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Actually, I learned to drive on a tractor -- with steel wheels and no tires -- in IA. For an actual car, I learned in a 1936 Oldsmobile that had been my grandfather's and then, after his death, my father's.

My first car was -- would you believe -- a 1926 Chevrolet. It had wooden wheels (33 inches in diameter and 3 inches wide) with contracting brakes (a belt contracted around a drum) and OUTSIDE push rods. I loved it as if it was made of gold. I bought it for $35 and sold it a few years later for the same price.
Perhaps my favorite car (like Scotty) was a Model A Ford coupe -- mop top and rumble seat that I used for ........ I have wanted to own another "A" all of my long life.

ken tompkins

bcoulter19
01-19-2013, 03:58 PM
'74 Mustang II 4 cyl. what a piece of crap that was. The worst Mustang ever made.

rcantrell52
01-19-2013, 04:02 PM
I had a 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340. 340 ci and 275 bhp
Reese

Oldmanzues
01-19-2013, 04:22 PM
A 1968 Renault R-10.
6 weeks into ownership I rolled it over, totaled it and was fortunate enough to walk away.
I credit the then optional shoulder harness for saving my life.

I learned to drive with this car. A 5 speed, I think.
There was something really odd about the shift pattern but I can't now remember what.
It had an optional hand crank start. I used it once and nearly wrenched my shoulder out of the socket.
Bought it with money I had earned working in a bakery before & after school.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnLOHiN5sghwybgBNuRNKUcx8oo-q2EaTmLEPXVe3bfU9UjNstHQ
I believe they had five on the tree.
Oldmanzues

Oldmanzues
01-19-2013, 04:35 PM
My first car I bought and first car I ever had was a 21 year old 29 Model A sedan with love/swing away shift. In high gear, your girl friend, depending on seat type, slide over next to you, then in top gear, pick the shift handle up and under the dash. If you did the shifting "right" you could play with yours girls knees or not. Had it about 9 months and laid it on it side with I think12 or kids inside. (How many can you fit in your car. ) (Low Speed, no injuries). Local law "suggested I get a different vehicle". It ran fine, but the top was about 6" to one side in places.
Never had a new car till I was out of service in 83.
Oldmanzues

TexasSpyder
01-19-2013, 04:46 PM
1953 Chevrolet Bel Air 4door. Great car to have put up with what all I put it thru.

J. D.

spydrluvr
01-19-2013, 05:03 PM
1968 White Dodge Polaris Convertible......the steering wheel was approx. 3 feet in diameter, and with the top down, I could transport my whole class!!!! It was a boat!!! (loved that car) :dg2:

Netminder
01-19-2013, 05:25 PM
1972 screaming orange four door Chevy Nova, bought it from my uncle for 800$. Was the same car I learned to drive on! He had done the body work himself and used old paper bags to stuff the holes before puttying!:yikes: Had many clunkers since that one. Only goy my first new car 10 yrs ago , still have it Toyota Camry.

DynamoBT
01-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Learned to drive on a '67 VW Beetle. My brother totaled that car drag racing out of a stop light. My father threw me for a loop by making me take my license road test on our automatic Ford Fairlane Station wagon. Could have flunked before I even pulled away from the curb. The car had stalled and I didn't realize it for a second. I did pass on the first try. Sent all my friends to that registry because the test was easy. They all flunked their first time taking the test.

First car we ever owned was a "75 Ford F250 pickup standard shift. That thing was a tank. Loved it!!! Gave it a great death at a demolition derby many many years later.

SpyderAnn01
01-19-2013, 05:39 PM
My first car was a 1963 VW Fastback robins egg blue I bought it for $100 from a girlfriend who had it for a few years after she bought it from another friend's father. The defroster was an ice scraper and a roll of paper towels and the only way to stay warm was to wear lots and lots of clothes. It did 0 to 60 in about 6 miles if you were going downhill. :roflblack: I sold it for $100 so it was the only car that I didn't lose money on.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UuiXk17s0Lc/TqiF95Kti_I/AAAAAAAAH0Q/rlUshc6zCrg/s1600/1968%2BVW%2BFastback%2B1.jpg

NancysToy
01-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Learned to drive in a 1939 Chevy Master 85 2 door, when my Grandfather got another car, I bought the 39 for $15 and put a 302 Jimmy in it, Wayne 12 port and a bunch of other stuff. Scared a lot of people with it, including myself.

john

:thumbup: I love those Jimmy sixes! The first car I actually owned, before I got my driver's license, was a '53 Anglia that I put a Jimmy six with a Wayne-Horning 12-port head into for the drags.

retired1
01-19-2013, 06:06 PM
The first car I bought was a '30 Model A 2 door. Had baling wire for plug wires and used the valve on the fuel tank to regulate the fuel flow to keep it running. It was POC, but I loved it.

SpyderDen
01-19-2013, 06:16 PM
'63 Ford Fairlane Sport Coupe. 260 cu. in. V8 with 2 speed slush-o-matic. Buckets seats with column shifter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rnet
01-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Mine was a 64 Ramble classic 660 wagon. The cool thing about that car was that every seat laid down and made a complete bed, but I won't say what happened in it. :ohyea: I believe it had a 283 v-8

Jbiancolli
01-19-2013, 07:15 PM
1967 GTO. Do I still wish I had that car

shelbydave
01-19-2013, 07:20 PM
1972 Buick Electra. When I joined the Air Force, I gave that to my brother, then bought a 1983 Dodge Shelby Charger when they came out.
It currently keeps the Spyder company in the garage...

IGETAROUND
01-19-2013, 07:52 PM
My first car I bought and payed for was as 1967 Plymoth Baracudda fastback. 272 V8 with 4 on the floor and bucket seats. qold with a black interior. Lot of fun times with that car.

Paula(Butch2025)
01-19-2013, 08:05 PM
1971 Mercury Montego (previous life as a police car) with a 351 Windsor in it.

Butch's was a 1964 Ford Galaxy 500 with a 391 in it.

spyder3
01-19-2013, 08:05 PM
1st car was a 1972 AMC hornet(nicknamed the horny hornet:yikes:)

Totaled that in college when a parked car jumped out in front of me:dontknow:

My father then threatened me with another AMC beauty.. The Pacer!

I pleaded with him not to do it.....I think tears actually prevented that from happening.
Ended up with a 75 Chevy malibu...no power steering...:gaah:

kinggeek
01-19-2013, 08:13 PM
FADED Hospital Green 1974 Plymouth Duster with a slant six - $900.00 - Totaled within two months because I was a teenager with poor decision making abilities. :banghead:

Mayhem
01-19-2013, 08:16 PM
My first car was a 1964 Chevy Impala with a 327. I would race anybody that looked sideways at me and although I didn't always win, it gave me the thrill for speed. It was also my beach buggy, hauling me and my surfboard to the waves in my endless summer. Wish I could do it all again.

JJW SpyderRider
01-19-2013, 08:26 PM
My first car was a VW beetle. I think it was a '59, '60, '61, '62 depending on what part you hand your hand on. Paid $50, not worth it. Steering wheel fell in my lap going down the road once. At a stop sign a guy jumped out of his car with a fire extinguisher thinking it was on fire, no just smoked a lot :yikes:.

Spyderjockey
01-19-2013, 09:00 PM
My first car was a 55 olds 88 2 door that I bought for $250 from a bar owner on terms of what ever I could afford until it was paid for and then I picked it up and felt like it was the best car on the road. Had it for close to a year when the head lights went out one night when I hit the dimmer switch for an oncoming car and almost hit some guard rails because I couldn't see anything. Never could find the problem...replaced dimmer switch, headlight switch etc. finally took it to a garage and they could not find the short and said I would have to replace the whole wire harness at about $200. Never drove it after dark after that, but I sure loved that car and always wished I had kept it. This picture is not of my car but looks just about the way mine did except a little better shape!

http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/poqac/121026/488r1/63575bk_27.jpeg:firstplace:

Frank G
01-19-2013, 09:27 PM
First car, 54 Ford 2 door coup V8, 3 on the floor (aftermarket) all white with a green interior, Baby moon hub caps on black rims. Paid $125.00 + 20.00 for new paint in 1962. The V8 was Ford's first over head valve engine. For some reason if you took a corner holding to many RPM'S the pushrods would pop out of position:yikes: and I would have to stop, remove the valve cover and pop the pushrod-rods under the rockers. About a 6 min. job. Beside the tractor and the 30's International farm truck, My neighbor taught me how to road drive (drivers training) at the age of 14:hun: in a 52 Nash. He was elderly and needed someone to drive them to there lake cottage. About 100 Miles. They watched Lawrence Welk and I got the keys to the Boat. :yes::yes::yes::yes: Wow have times changed.

otter28169
01-19-2013, 09:47 PM
1981 Diesel Chevette 5 speed. Approx 50 miles to the gallon around town. I learned how to drive a manual with this car. You could let out the clutch in any gear, and it would go. Dark brown with one gold door, and lots of rust. Best winter car ever, but not good in the snow. With the block heater it always had warm air first thing on a winter morning. It died with ~476,000+ miles, I miss it so much these days.

asp125
01-19-2013, 10:37 PM
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3079/2617209973_01feb1725d_z.jpg

Very close to what I had back in '80. A '74 beetle, bored out to 1776ccs with Weber carbs, lowered, gold "Empi" mags, and in the same rally yellow. I didn't have the "eyebrows" on the headlights.

That was followed by I think, a 1980's Saab 900 turbo, a 91 Acura Integra LS, a '90 Mazda Miata, an Isuzu Trooper II, a VW Jetta, an Audi 4000 quattro, an Audi 80 quattro, a Porsche 911 SC, Nissan Frontier, Nissan Murano, and most currently an Audi A3 3.2 quattro.

Motorcycledave
01-20-2013, 01:02 AM
1947 Plymouth Business Coupe....:thumbup:

CyncySpyder
01-20-2013, 01:13 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/Vw_bus_t1_v_sst.jpg/280px-Vw_bus_t1_v_sst.jpg (http://www.spyderlovers.com/wiki/File:Vw_bus_t1_v_sst.jpg) Learned to drive a manual from 1st to 2nd in this

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3806/3981/22014490004_large.jpgDrove this home where it blew the engine in the driveway

http://thegarageblog.com/garage/wp-content/uploads/ford_exp_red_1985_c.jpgThis was my 1st real car

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24668&d=1284549211 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=911&attachmentid=24667)And this was Teddys 1st

tobor9
01-20-2013, 01:15 AM
1969 toyota Corona, almost lived in it for one summer then drove it back and forth from NY to Boston and blow the engine on the way home and had a party fixing it with makeshift tools then drove it to Charleston,SC ware it died! Great car

Chupaca
01-20-2013, 01:50 AM
My first was a 1937 Oldsmobile coupe with rumble seat. Found in Arequipa had it towed to Lima, put in a straight 6 lowered it, tossed the fenders and had radio intercom with the rumble sea. had it till I left for school in the US. :ohyea:

AbNormy
01-20-2013, 02:05 AM
Que chevere! Que studiastes? :thumbup:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

AbNormy
01-20-2013, 02:26 AM
Set for alaska on my recenlty fed paroled bro had an r60 sd.hv.got.on the bak of it.but.he.had a a65L.BSA Lightning i insisted i cd kp running so i drove it every 200 quit charging he left me in vegas camped.out in a dead car in.dealer drive till.stator.came in. Drove to taft. Ca.where i.caught up.w him.and a.other.riding buddy.we set out for.seattle coastal route camped.out in willits ca when his tent tiped over.on bro tent woked.me.up.spied.56 F150.with.a.utity.bed.inback with.a mattress.dry.in the back.drove to seattle then.wenatchee where we.propped.apples.to get.cash to.get. Bro.didnt.like my.drinkin zo we ssplit was.drve thru.little.america wyo ming where..generator fried.drove thru denver in a pouring rain no.wiper:eek: All charging zo had.to.steal.2.battries to. Get..bak.to..laredo tx.got us home alive

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

ulflyer
01-20-2013, 08:47 AM
1938 Ford Coupe, two tone green, well used when I got around 1950/51 from retired moonshine runner who had rear end raised so that when it was loaded it would be level!

Bob Denman
01-20-2013, 09:26 AM
1968 White Dodge Polaris Convertible......the steering wheel was approx. 3 feet in diameter, and with the top down, I could transport my whole class!!!! It was a boat!!! (loved that car) :dg2:

My Second car was a '72 Polara... 2 door-hardtop!
It never really ran right; the 318 was all choked-down due to the emissions equipment...
But it hauled through some really ugly situations and got me home alive when I never deserved that favor! :bowdown: :thumbup:

coz
01-20-2013, 10:30 AM
that i bought, 1973 toyota celica st. 2.0 4- speed rear wheel drive. rubber in ALL four gears.:roflblack: i was 16 or 17. made the payments to my dad. he drove it alot when i was under suspension.:roflblack: great gas mileage too.:thumbup:

bruiser
01-20-2013, 10:43 AM
For all you AMC officiandos there is a fellow not far from me who has a whole lot full of AMC cars. Most are overgrown with weeds. He won't part with anything.

Bob Denman
01-20-2013, 10:46 AM
What's he waiting for; the Second coming?? :dontknow:
Now if he's got some spare AMXes laying around... :thumbup:

budro
01-20-2013, 10:56 AM
1951 Desoto, had it in 1962----Budro

Mexican
01-20-2013, 11:11 AM
My first car was a 1963 VW Fastback robins egg blue I bought it for $100 from a girlfriend who had it for a few years after she bought it from another friend's father. The defroster was an ice scraper and a roll of paper towels and the only way to stay warm was to wear lots and lots of clothes. It did 0 to 60 in about 6 miles if you were going downhill. :roflblack: I sold it for $100 so it was the only car that I didn't lose money on.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UuiXk17s0Lc/TqiF95Kti_I/AAAAAAAAH0Q/rlUshc6zCrg/s1600/1968%2BVW%2BFastback%2B1.jpg
How often you flush the radiator on one of those?
BTW, my first car was a '74 pinto, best car ever made:roflblack:

pro10is
01-20-2013, 12:11 PM
1968 Chevy El Camino, 396 cu in., 375 horsepower. One of the fastest cars (in a straight line) I've ever owned. Got about 6 mpg with the added Holly 4 barrel.

This one is not mine but this is what it looked like.

xpeschon
01-20-2013, 12:46 PM
1972 Ford Maverick.. I always love the look of the Pinto and one day I will get a hold of one of these suckers and own it.. But my first was the Maverick..

X Man

Gordy
01-20-2013, 12:49 PM
1928 ford model a, paid $20.00 for it and drove it for many miles. found a wallet under the seat with $6.00 in it so got the car for $14.00

Bob Denman
01-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Could that have been the first recorded "Automotive Rebate"?? :shocked: :thumbup: :roflblack:

NancysToy
01-20-2013, 02:15 PM
1968 Chevy El Camino, 396 cu in., 375 horsepower. One of the fastest cars (in a straight line) I've ever owned. Got about 6 mpg with the added Holly 4 barrel.

I bought a '66 El Camino my senior year in college. Wish I still had that one.

boborgera
01-20-2013, 02:55 PM
There's only two cars i wish i still had'.
65 442, I had to give that one up after only a few months, After i got a personal letter from'
LBJ To join his party.:mad:
And the other car was my 68 Charger440, :banghead:

NancysToy
01-20-2013, 05:07 PM
There's only two cars i wish i still had'.
65 442, I had to give that one up after only a few months, After i got a personal letter from'
LBJ To join his party.:mad:
And the other car was my 68 Charger440, :banghead:
Mine would be my '66 El Camino and a Kellison dragster we ran back in the 70's. Maybe we have the makings of yet another wintertime thread here. :D

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14718&d=1234374813

Mexican
01-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Now we are getting nostalgic!! here is a list of the cars i owned and i wish i still had;
'67 camaro built march 14 1967, (my birthday) sold it for $2,500 in 1985;:opps:
'72 chevelle malibu;
'70 el camino;
'68? LeMans
Man!!! I could be rich now days!!!!

Blue Star
01-20-2013, 06:28 PM
My Second car was a '72 Polara... 2 door-hardtop!
It never really ran right; the 318 was all choked-down due to the emissions equipment...
But it hauled through some really ugly situations and got me home alive when I never deserved that favor! :bowdown: :thumbup:

My first car was a 72 Polaris, and it was a great running car. Wanted a Mustang, but got what I could afford. All you had to do was strip off the emission stuff. The son of the guy I worked for wanted to trade my Polaris for his 67 Camaro. Told him okay until he changed the trade to my car plus $1500.00.

Netminder
01-20-2013, 06:47 PM

This one is not mine but this is what it looked like.

That is a sweet ride!:clap:Had a 69' Nova that had an automatic 6cyl in it and I put a 350 3 speed in, man could that thing smoke the tires! Used to do all my own mechanics back then, even if it meant doing it in the driveway! Now don't have a garage(soon though) so haven't done anything big, just brakes, oil, small things!

jScotD
01-20-2013, 06:49 PM
56 VW with the opera window.. painted it black using a vacuum cleaner.. rather textured paint job.... then a 62 chevy SS.. then a 68 amx , which i still have

spyder3
01-20-2013, 06:51 PM
For all you AMC officiandos there is a fellow not far from me who has a whole lot full of AMC cars. Most are overgrown with weeds. He won't part with anything.

I never want to see one again:roflblack:......nojoke

spyder3
01-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Now that brings back memories. Traded in an older one for the White SS with the chop chop custom package. I loved that car/truck.....One of my favorites.

jScotD
01-20-2013, 07:14 PM
yea, I got in a drag race with one of those in the amx.. he lost

Jharpo
01-20-2013, 07:30 PM
My first car was a 1949 Ford I bought in my junior year of high school for $100.00. After graduation, I traded that in on a 55 Desoto with the first production hemi engine. Burnt the tires off of that baby and bought a 58 MGA. Kept that little gem until 2006. Have had a Dodge Sport Coupe, a Pinto (not slow like Bob's), a Mazda RX 7 limited edition, a Probe, a Mercedes 450 SL, a Mazda Miata, a Mustang Convertible , a Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT, and now have a little turbo charged Suburu Impresa WRX. Most of them small, most were pretty fast, and all of them were fun. Now the light of my life is my 2009 GS Spyder, the most fun of all.

OldDog
01-20-2013, 07:52 PM
My first car was a brand new 1969 Camaro RS, orange with black stripes. I took my drivers test in my Dad's 62 Coupe Deville. I parked that thing on the first try. My 15 minutes of fame...

FANG
01-22-2013, 11:02 AM
my first car, actually the sceond family car (per my dad), was a 1965 Ford Falcon - red and gray -- all it need was star and bars on the roof and it would have looked like a mobile Confederate Flag!! bought it for $800.00 and sold it 2 yrs later for $800. Bought my first new car after selling the Falcon a 1971 Ford Pinto -- English Racing Green with a gold metal flake in the paint.

Bob Denman
01-22-2013, 11:25 AM
The ones that we still wish we had... :shocked:
That's easy!
The 1945 MB
A 2003 MINI... :thumbup:

boborgera
01-22-2013, 11:47 AM
The ones that we still wish we had... :shocked:
That's easy!
The 1945 MB
A 2003 MINI... :thumbup:

My Son and i had a 45 jeep, We took two years rebuilding it , Even had a NOS Steel body shipped in from the Philippines, Had it 90% completed when he sold it.

Just like a boat, The two best days are the day you buy it , And the day you find a sucker to take it off your hands.

Cliff-Co.
01-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Well my 1st. car was a 47 fleetline chev., & 1st. cycle was a 1953 pan-head harley-davidson.6058360584

Grandpa Pete
01-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Had a 1972 Pontiac Tempest in Gold with the Endura front end with a 400 and a turbo 350. I thru in a 3:73 rearend and had fake fur on the dash. Its just what we did...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Bobbo,
Mine still was hanging the original steel off the body mounts...
Well that; and a lot of putty! :roflblack:
and :agree:

napper39
01-22-2013, 02:00 PM
1940 chevy on my 14th birthaday,my dad was a car dealer.

ISCI Billy
01-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Mine was a 1970 SS El Camino.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYjBGdxBQiwY0woAm32jOjY8ke7l1w9 J5528V8qFZE7XHrtNfiDw

spydermyke990
01-27-2013, 07:01 PM
An'86 ford fairmont...my gret-aunt's old car, and she never drove it over 25mph. I put in a cheap stereo so i could listen to my favorite hair bands, and it became the ultimate nerdmobile.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

AbNormy
02-04-2013, 07:26 AM
that i bought, 1973 toyota celica st. 2.0 4- speed rear wheel drive. rubber in ALL four gears.:roflblack: i was 16 or 17. made the payments to my dad. he drove it alot when i was under suspension.:roflblack: great gas mileage too.:thumbup:

18 RC motor

DRTSB
02-04-2013, 07:39 AM
1967 Austin 1800, hydralic suspension, wow it could beat any VW Beetle off the line, nothing else though.

Dave ;)

granpa in Cincy
02-04-2013, 08:45 AM
1937 Plymouth coupe. Had a knob on the dash which when you cranked it, the windshield would open from the bottom out. Two knobs atop the windshield operated the wipers separately. 3 on the floor. Quart of oil every 100 miles. Trunk big enough to fit a single bed.
Hand operated throttle and choke. Battery was under the floor where your feet were when driving. Was two tone gawd awful brown until I painted it black. Had a lot of fun in that car.

GuitarPlayer
02-04-2013, 09:42 AM
1964 Chevy Impala that my Dad gave me. 6 cylinder, 2 speed automatic. Would shift at 45 mph. One of the doors was so rusted you could reach inside to unlock the door. Don't ask me how I know. :opps:

Tony

budro
02-04-2013, 10:02 AM
1951 Desoto------Budro

PrairieSpyder
02-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Have you noticed how you can estimate people's ages? :hun: Lots of you folks' first cars were new well after I finished high school!

My dad ran the local general aviation airport and he taught me to drive a stick by practicing on the wide sod runways. I didn't have to be too attentive to steering, and could concentrate on how to shift. Then he bought me a 1962 Rambler Classic. It was pink, and its only extra was a heater. I was 14 years old, and in Kansas at the time you could get a restricted license then. I think he bought it for me so they wouldn't have to take me back and forth to work at the Italian restaurant where I bused tables.

mwkess
02-04-2013, 11:19 AM

My first car was this 1964 Comet Cyclone with a 289 CI engine.

Pandy
02-04-2013, 11:38 AM
A 1960 SAAB type 96, Three cylinder 2 stroke. Built prior to the autolube, had to pour a quart of oil, any kind, into the gas tank at fill up.I think it literally rusted in half one day.

Patrick

mowin
02-04-2013, 06:57 PM
I learned to drive in my dads 70's AMC Gremlin with 3 on the tree. Not as ugly as it's sister the Pacer, but close.
My first car was moms hand me down 63 Buick Special 4 door with a 310 wildcat and 2 speed tranny. It would shift
at 72mph when I had it to the floor.
1st car I ever paid for myself was a 77 bug with more holes then a cheese grater.
1st new ride was a Mazda 4x4 pickup. Think it was a '87.