PDA

View Full Version : Hindle pipe installation

RocketLady
03-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Installation took 10 minutes. This is what I did. Removed the bracket nut & bolt, remove header pipe clamp, remove retainer spring on front side of header pipe, slide old muffler off gently, remove asbestos sealer collar on header pipe, install new header pipe collar, carefully slide hindle exhaust over head pipe being careful not to damage the much thinner new sealing collar, attach bracket mount bolt & spacers, use red loctite on mounting bracket nut, make sure new pipe is fully on the head pipe. Hook retainer spring onto head pipe, using vise grips extend spring to hook into retainer spring eye on hindle pipe. Be careful not to injure yourself. Make sure everything is aligned properly before tightening pipe clamp. Mount pipe clamp so that it does not protrude below the lowest level of the head pipe. Tighten securely according instructions that came with hindle pipe. Start motor and check for exhaust leaks around new pipe seal. If any, re-tighten until gone. Let idle 10-15 minutes to "burn in" new muffler pipe. Let cool, start motor again run 5-10- minutes checking for exhaust leaks again. Now ride- it sounds GOOD ! Spyder running 2+ bars cooler.
You can do this !

Lamonster
03-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Is this RocketLady or Rocketman? ;D :joke: Good job. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

2faston3
03-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks RocketLady!

I have ordered a Hindle as well, I have heard it it sounds great. :congrats:

Thanks for the heads up on the install, I love a lady who is handy with a wrench. :bigthumbsup:

As the old saying goes, if you can't find a rich gal, find a "wrench" gal. ::)

2faston3

Wijllie
03-25-2008, 01:12 AM
I love a lady who is handy with a wrench. :bigthumbsup:
As the old saying goes, if you can't find a rich gal, find a "wrench" gal. ::)
2faston3

Owning a Spyder means she IS a rich and wrenchy gal ;D

RocketLady
03-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks everyone ! RocketLady is married to Rocketman, and with his direction on the hindle install. He is a marine tech and I assist him in our own business. :bigthumbsup: Today we are installing Ken's new brake light turn signal conversion. This installation is just a "Plug & Ride". I ride the Spyder, he still rides his Yamaha FJR, but has got caught up in a Spyder web.

Wijllie
03-25-2008, 01:25 PM
but has got caught up in a Spyder web.

Nicely said ;)

spyderrider44
03-26-2008, 01:58 AM
:bigthumbsup:Very good enfo on the intall , i am waiting to get my Hindle and it is nice to know it is an easy install. Thanks for the the good feedback. :spyder:

Roaddog2
04-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Installation took 10 minutes. This is what I did. Removed the bracket nut & bolt, remove header pipe clamp, remove retainer spring on front side of header pipe, slide old muffler off gently, remove asbestos sealer collar on header pipe, install new header pipe collar, carefully slide hindle exhaust over head pipe being careful not to damage the much thinner new sealing collar, attach bracket mount bolt & spacers, use red loctite on mounting bracket nut, make sure new pipe is fully on the head pipe. Hook retainer spring onto head pipe, using vise grips extend spring to hook into retainer spring eye on hindle pipe. Be careful not to injure yourself. Make sure everything is aligned properly before tightening pipe clamp. Mount pipe clamp so that it does not protrude below the lowest level of the head pipe. Tighten securely according instructions that came with hindle pipe. Start motor and check for exhaust leaks around new pipe seal. If any, re-tighten until gone. Let idle 10-15 minutes to "burn in" new muffler pipe. Let cool, start motor again run 5-10- minutes checking for exhaust leaks again. Now ride- it sounds GOOD ! Spyder running 2+ bars cooler.
You can do this !

Wijllie
05-01-2008, 12:47 AM
New thinner collar? My Hindle came without new collar, also not mentioned in the instructions.
So are there Hindles with and without collars???

bjt
05-01-2008, 05:33 AM
Hmm... Our Hindles that we got last week didn't have a collar either and also, nothing about it mentioned in our installation instructions.

Lamonster
05-01-2008, 05:42 AM
Hmm... Our Hindles that we got last week didn't have a collar either and also, nothing about it mentioned in our installation instructions.

Sounds like there were some changes mid stream because I think Tharkin said he did have to remove the old gasket. :dontknow:

bjt
05-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Sounds like there were some changes mid stream because I think Tharkin said he did have to remove the old gasket. :dontknow:

I agree that there must have been changes in the pipes. We did have to remove the stock muffler's gasket from the header pipes but the Hindle did not come with a thinner gasket or collar. It just slid right onto the pipe... :arrow: You know, come to think of it, she must have been talking about the clamp that straps the Hindle pipe to the header pipe. That is smaller as the Hindle pipe is a smaller circumference than the stock pipe. We just needed to get our terminolgy straight. 8)

patches
06-27-2008, 04:44 PM
I just got and installed my Hindle. Took all of about 20 mintues to take off and on the new one. No gasket and the existing had to go..no way the pipe will fix. Not going happen..simple math there. I put it on..tighten the collar and have a small leek. Adjusted until the cows came home and the leak just moves with where ever the gasket is when I move it. Have not tried any sealent but going to run up the street and try and get some.
As for the Spring, there is NO way that spring is going to connect unless I stretch it out. The spring holder on the hindle is on the top of the pipe and the one on the header is on the bottom..Umm..I don't think I can install it upside down..lol. HELP..

Zerocool
06-27-2008, 05:11 PM
I just got and installed my Hindle. Took all of about 20 mintues to take off and on the new one. No gasket and the existing had to go..no way the pipe will fix. Not going happen..simple math there. I put it on..tighten the collar and have a small leek. Adjusted until the cows came home and the leak just moves with where ever the gasket is when I move it. Have not tried any sealent but going to run up the street and try and get some.
As for the Spring, there is NO way that spring is going to connect unless I stretch it out. The spring holder on the hindle is on the top of the pipe and the one on the header is on the bottom..Umm..I don't think I can install it upside down..lol. HELP..

At my 625 mile service, the dealer sealed the pipe w/silicone. There's a noticeable difference (to me) in acceleration; it's much more responsive with less throttle.

I'll try to get a pick of my Hindle and the spring tonight and post it up. Maybe it'll help.

SpyderByter
04-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Just found this on U-Tube and thought it may help so I posted it here.

I find reading other's post more informative, but every little bit helps right?

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

Mark

dltang
04-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Just found this on U-Tube and thought it may help so I posted it here.

I find reading other's post more informative, but every little bit helps right?

YouTube - Hindle install (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9g2oUhl_nE&feature=related)

Mark

Yup, that would be bjt installing my Hindle

SpyderByter
04-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks for that. I read all the posts concerning the Hindle install (and problems with) and saw your vid back when I was looking for sound comparisons before I ordered the Hindle. I remembered seeing it so I searched it out again today, then posted it here so anyone getting ready to do it can benefit from you taking the time to document it. They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

I got a lot out of the posts also, because right off the bat, I used a sealant to avoid any leaks. In your vid, it looks like bjt put the spring back on. The instructions make no mention of reinstalling the spring, and it looks like the clips don't line up. I did not put it back on yet. I figure that can always be done later. I guess the extra tension would help to ensure it stays seated. Now it sits for 24 hours for the sealant to cure, then I season the muffler.

I should add that the instructions don't say this, but I noticed that the allen bolt that holds the muffler up had locktite on it, so it only makes sense to use locktite when reassembling.

SpyderByter
04-10-2009, 06:59 PM
I also read in one of the posts, someone disconnected the battery. Is this necessary? I know it is with some other mods for the puter to relearn (remap?), but I thought the Hindle was not one of those.

bjt
04-10-2009, 07:34 PM
I also read in one of the posts, someone disconnected the battery. Is this necessary? I know it is with some other mods for the puter to relearn (remap?), but I thought the Hindle was not one of those.

I think its a good idea with the Hindle also. Any free flowing exhaust can affect the way the engine runs. Its easy to just disconnect the battery, install the Hindle, then reconnect the battery.

SpyderByter
04-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Ok, thanks, will do before I run it to season it.

trikester
04-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Where is the best place to purchase the Hindle for the Spyder?

Diggittt
04-15-2009, 03:21 PM

Trikester see if this one is still available here from one of our members.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9460

Diggittt

Trickie Dick
04-15-2009, 08:15 PM

I think Bonecrusher has a source that is the cheapest I have seen. Might PM him.

MetroAsian
04-20-2009, 02:08 AM
I just put the hindle exhaust on this afternoon and it sounds great. I can't believe how much heavier the stock exhaust ways and how constricting it was. The videos on youtube.com dont do the hindle any justice of how low it actually is. I can't image how much louder the two brothers twin pipe sounds like. :)

xpeschon
04-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Where did you buy your hindle exhaust from? I am on the market to get one!!

Thanks in advance

Joe

Donk45
05-28-2009, 01:52 PM
just bouht mine from bonecrushers conctact...$439 shipped.

johnandginger
06-17-2009, 03:01 PM
I purchased mine on E-bay for $484.59 from Hondaeasttoledo:2thumbs:

Spyderman55
06-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Just added my Hindle and it was a snap. No problem with the spring and no gasket needed. Very easy. Nice sound.

So now I'm all set for my Red Carpet Ryde - Me and 3 others from the Livermore area are on our way down the PCH (Pacific Coast High) by 7am (6/26). Hope to see you at Bob's Big Boy Friday Night

Dragonrider
07-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Just bought mine on E-bay for $420 (new) - should I consider using silicone to seal it??

ataDude
07-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Just bought mine on E-bay for $420 (new) - should I consider using silicone to seal it??

Absolutely. And let it dry overnight.

Dragonrider
07-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Got it - thanx :bowdown:

Dragonrider
07-12-2009, 01:45 PM
It's on and is great - but why was there a new clamp in the box?? the Hindle doesn't need/use a clamp, the clamp wouldn't close down that far, AND it made a mess of the sealant on my new pipe!!! :cus:

Had to steel wool it off the next day....

Even so, this was my first 10 minute chore...

ataDude
07-12-2009, 03:52 PM
It's on and is great - but why was there a new clamp in the box?? the Hindle doesn't need/use a clamp, the clamp wouldn't close down that far, AND it made a mess of the sealant on my new pipe!!! ...

You must have a different Hindle than the one setting in my garage. It does not require a gasket like stock but it does require a band clamp... in addition to the spring.

And, hi-temp RTV or silicone is recommended (let it dry over night) for a good seal.

Dragonrider
07-14-2009, 11:29 AM
That's interesting - there's no split(s) in the connector, and the clamp doesn't come close to clamping the pipe - it's way too big, and I can't see what it would do, without the splits.. :dontknow:

Any comments are welcome - seems to work just fine tho..

ataDude
07-14-2009, 04:16 PM
That's interesting - there's no split(s) in the connector, and the clamp doesn't come close to clamping the pipe - it's way too big, and I can't see what it would do, without the splits.. :dontknow:

Any comments are welcome - seems to work just fine tho..

They very well could have come out with a new Version III. The early Version I was just like the stock pipe... used the same gasket and everything.

Version II eliminated the gasket and came with a new clamp. I have that one.

I agree... without the splits on the female side, there's no use for a clamp.

Blue Star
08-08-2011, 09:43 PM

I think its a good idea with the Hindle also. Any free flowing exhaust can affect the way the engine runs. Its easy to just disconnect the battery, install the Hindle, then reconnect the battery.

Have a question. I just installed a used two-Bros exhaust pipe, and Orbit now has a hesitation to her. I only got up to five MPH in the parking lot so I do not know how she reacts when going faster. In fact, I do not want to ryde her more than I have to in this condition. This leads me to two questions.

1) The guy I bought the pipe from (bought it used) said that I do not need a gasket between the pipe with the curve that connects the exhaust pipe, and what I believe is the Y-pipe. Yet, there was a gasket of some type when I pulled off the OEM pipe. Should I have put this back on?

2) These posts talk about disconnecting the battery, but I did not do this. Should I disconnect the battery, and reinstall the exhaust pipe (and the gasket), and then reconnect the battery?

Thanks for any help.