PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Touring Windshield

Spydr in KS
01-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Anyone have the BRP taller / wider windshield yet? The accessory catalog says it has 5 height settings. I thought the stock had 4 settings. Does the new windshield have a different mounting bracket, is it a BRP typo, or am i wrong?

Anyone have a picture of both together so we can see the size difference?

"Ultra Touring Windshield
Taller and slightly wider than stock windshield to ensure maximum
wind protection. 5 height settings to adjust for more or less wind
protection as needed.
Spyder ST 2013 219400354 - Clear"

Spydr in KS
01-17-2013, 12:23 AM
I was wrong, the manual says the windshield can adjust to 5 positions

Would be great to see a comparison of stock vs the ultra touring windshield

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
01-17-2013, 08:15 AM
The best approximation that I can think of, would be to note the difference in height between the two. Then hit a dealer who's got an ST. Set the shield down low, and then raise it up by that difference just to see what it looks like... :thumbup:

Spydr in KS
01-17-2013, 09:07 AM
The best approximation that I can think of, would be to note the difference in height between the two. Then hit a dealer who's got an ST. Set the shield down low, and then raise it up by that difference just to see what it looks like... :thumbup:

What's the diffference in height? That's my point:hun: All BRP provides is "Taller and slightly wider", although they say the ultra touring is 25" tall. For the RS shields they have a nice dotted line of the stock size imposed on the larger shields.

Bryk
01-17-2013, 09:39 AM
I don't have links to the BRP one, however CalSci has their ST shields ready and has plenty of different pictures to look at to determine which one you want. They also have a sizing chart so you can get the right size for you.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/SpyderSTprod.html

Bob Denman
01-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Well if the taller windshield is 25", all we need to know now is the height of the standard one...
Any current ST owners out there with a tape measure and a little bit of time available???

Bryk
01-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Well if the taller windshield is 25", all we need to know now is the height of the standard one...
Any current ST owners out there with a tape measure and a little bit of time available???

I can answer this.... sometime in March. :opps: :banghead:

Bob Denman
01-17-2013, 10:23 AM
:roflblack: :bbq::bbq::bbq:
Maybe something on the Cal-Sci site can give a hint as to the height of the ST's OEM shield... :dontknow:

Bryk
01-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Found this on the RT page on CalSci:

"
Design notes on our Spyder RT windshield: The stock 2010 Spyder RT windshield is designed for someone about 6'4" tall, the stock 2011 shield for someone about 6'1". Most riders will find they are looking through the stock 2010 windshield in most positions. All our RT windshields are shorter than the stock 2010 shield. Our XL is about the same height as the stock 2011+ shield. Both stock shields have serious problems with back pressure and turbulence; we've eliminated that. And the stock shield is not wide enough for quietest ride and best touring comfort, so we've added about 5" in width on our touring shields.
"

Not sure if/how it would help.

Guessing from how it matches up to the RT shields, as does BRP in their 2013 catalog I would make a strong guesstimate of 23".

Bob Denman
01-17-2013, 11:01 AM
I found this in there...

According to Cal-Sci, the stocker is only 19" high... I'd be cautious about accepting that measurement, but it'd be a start anyway! :thumbup:

Bryk
01-17-2013, 12:32 PM
I found this in there...

According to Cal-Sci, the stocker is only 19" high... I'd be cautious about accepting that measurement, but it'd be a start anyway! :thumbup:

Wow, my eyes must have went over that a bazillion times. I thought I remembered from a few weeks ago that I saw it somewhere.

Regardless if the stocker doesn't work for me I will be purchasing the Calsci extra wide ST windshield in Large. As I am 5'10" and have a 30 inch inseam.

Sarge707
01-17-2013, 12:58 PM
You won,t be sorry with the CalSci! I have the Large on my RT and it is "So Much Better!"
The stock would move with the wind and the CalSci is so firm because of the Hole eliminating the Back Pressure.
The CalSci is WAY quieter and WAY less buffeting around you head!!
The CalSci also is like looking at a wide screen TV because the side edges are a few inches farther out on each side and I feel this makes for a more panoramic view! :yes:

Bob Denman
01-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Wow, my eyes must have went over that a bazillion times. I thought I remembered from a few weeks ago that I saw it somewhere.

Regardless if the stocker doesn't work for me I will be purchasing the Calsci extra wide ST windshield in Large. As I am 5'10" and have a 30 inch inseam.

Sometimes a second set of eyeballs can help out; even if they're MINE! :shocked:

Cal-Sci windshields have an awful lot of proponents in here... You should be very happy with it! :thumbup:

Spydr in KS
02-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Here is a comparison of the stock windshield and the BRP Ultra Touring. It measures 3.5" taller and about 1" wider on each side. It is also lower at the bottom. I added the painters tape for contrast to show the edges better in the photo.

Rode about 15 miles with it today and love it for the cooler weather. I may switch back in the summer. It basically is the same height in the lowest position as the stock shield at the highest position. I tried all positions and got no head buffeting or back draft. Very nice "bubble" to ride in :yes:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62003&d=1360891770

spyder-dude
03-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Just curious on how tall you are. I am 6'4" and the stock shield sucked for me.....hoping this one will do the job for me!

mjw930
03-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Not a big fan of the Cal-Sci shields, I don't like the optics in their shields and I've owned 3 of them. I need to bug Joe over at CeeBailey to get off his ass and make some shields for the ST and RT. Those are optically perfect and reasonably priced.

Bryk
03-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Not a big fan of the Cal-Sci shields, I don't like the optics in their shields and I've owned 3 of them. I need to bug Joe over at CeeBailey to get off his ass and make some shields for the ST and RT. Those are optically perfect and reasonably priced.

Do you look through it? I'm just wondering why it is such a big deal. I know I'm always a functionality guy, but if it works does it matter? Cal-Scis seem to work. I mean it's a windshield, not some piece of chrome being shown off??? Right??? Am I missing something?

Bob Denman
03-22-2013, 09:12 AM
[QUOTE=Spydr in KS;574278]Here is a comparison of the stock windshield and the BRP Ultra Touring. It measures 3.5" taller and about 1" wider on each side. It is also lower at the bottom. I added the painters tape for contrast to show the edges better in the photo.

. It basically is the same height in the lowest position as the stock shield at the highest position. I tried all positions and got no head buffeting or backdraft. Very nice "bubble" to ride in :yes:
/QUOTE]

Did the taller shield reduce the airflow onto your shoulders? That's what I noticed the most when I tested the ST Limited...

mjw930
03-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Do you look through it? I'm just wondering why it is such a big deal. I know I'm always a functionality guy, but if it works does it matter? Cal-Scis seem to work. I mean it's a windshield, not some piece of chrome being shown off??? Right??? Am I missing something?

It depends on which bike I'm riding but no, most of the time I look over. On my BMW I can raise the shield on the highway to throw the air over me and the passenger and then I'm looking through it.

I just like the optics on the CeeBailey and find the CalSci cloudy in comparison, that's all.

Ron Parks
03-24-2013, 06:00 PM
I just measured my ST-S stock windshield and it is 20 inches from the top to one of the points at the bottom. I am 5/10 and look over the top of it, which I prefer, because that way I can see just fine even when riding into the Sun or when the windshield is wet or misty. I am satisfied with the wind protection. On a previous bike I had a Clearview windshield, which was very good, but since it was taller and wider than stock, I lost at least 5 MPH top speed and got reduced fuel economy. When it was smashed by a rock a truck threw at me, I re-installed the stock windshield and decided I actually liked it better. I guess it is just a matter of what you like. I don't ride two-up, and it is possible that if I did, the passenger might appreciate more wind protection.