PDA

View Full Version : New Recall Gas Cap Did Not Fix Gas SMell

Bob Ledford
01-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Boy was I ever excited when the new gas cap arrived in the USPO mail 12 Jan 2013. I ripped the box open with great glee. Took the new and the old and compared them then installed the new one . I was taken by surprise at how much more twisting torque it took for the new one to hit the first slip click. I was so sure it was fixed.:clap:

We took a ride and when we parked it in the garage guess what? It still emitted the odor of freshly boiled gasoline. So I guess the problem still exists! I will be standing at my dealers service department door on Tuesday AM when he opens for business. :gaah:

Had to leave the garage door open for almost two hours before it cleared out. Going to try running a fan on the front end to see if cooling it down faster helps This approaching ridculous now as it has ben going on off and on for 16 months now. :banghead:

ABQAndy
01-14-2013, 10:32 AM
I haven't received the new gas cap yet. I got my RT in July and I have to leave the garage door open for an hour or so every time I ride. I talked to the dealer a couple of months ago and he said this was normal!!!! NOT!!!!!! Was trusting that the new cap would solve the problem.

Lamonster
01-14-2013, 10:35 AM
The gas cap is only one way you can get fuel smell, the other is through your EVAP canister. I would have your dealer check to see if your canister is full of fuel and check your purge valve.

R30SHIRE
01-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Great Point. This site is so blessed to have someone with so much knowledge as yourself. Can't wait to meet you at Spyderfest 2013. :bowdown:

Tazzel
01-14-2013, 12:57 PM
I have a RS SE5 2012. I have no gas smell, I will take the gas cap if I get one but I will just keep it as an extra, Why mess with it. So far no problems with my Spyder dont want to mess with the mojo

jerpinoy
01-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Sorry, the new gas cap did not solve your problem. This is serious and I hope you don't smoke and make mistake lighting up. I don't smell gas on mine , and BRP did not sent me a new gas cap yet.

Lamonster
01-14-2013, 01:19 PM
I have a RS SE5 2012. I have no gas smell, I will take the gas cap if I get one but I will just keep it as an extra, Why mess with it. So far no problems with my Spyder dont want to mess with the mojo

That would be a very bad idea. You need to change out the cap, it is a recall. Save your other as a spare if you like but you will kick yourself a 1000 times if there is a fire you could of prevented by changing the cap as required. Plus if they ever found out you didn't change the cap provided to you and could prove it (like this post) I'm not sure the insurance would have to cover it. :dontknow:

Change the cap when you get it :lecturef_smilie:
nojoke

ARtraveler
01-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Good advice to follow for sure. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-14-2013, 04:01 PM
:agree: It's pretty cheap insurance... :thumbup:

Desert Spyder
01-14-2013, 08:32 PM
There is one other way you can get the gas smell. It happened to me when I had my RS. The hose(s) on either side of the fuel filter were loose enough at start up to allow a small amount of fuel to spray out. The stock hose clamps stopped and sealed the hose when it slid towards the end of the filter tube. I saw the stains on the canister and figured out the crime and perpetrator. Replaced clamps. No more spray. Now where's that gas smell coming from?

BajaRon
01-14-2013, 08:41 PM

Not a good idea. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by using the new cap.

BRP doesn't mail free stuff out because they have too much cash laying around. Though probably a long shot, why risk a fire (which is why they are sending a new cap).

Like Lamont said, if you should have a fire (and again, a rare possibility) the first thing they are going to check is your cap. I am sure they will be able to tell the difference if there is anything left at all. You might check with your insurance but I'll bet they won't cover it if you had the fix sitting on your shelf and just decided not to use it.

This has got to be the easiest recall fix in this history of motor vehicles. Just do it.... :ohyea:

I don't have mine yet but it's going on the day it gets here. I'm not a nervous Nelly and I've had zero problems! Then again, I don't want any either.

Schnauzer
01-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Would someone let me in on the reason for the canister. Does it recycle the fuel when it receives it.. If not why not just run it down to drip on the ground like every other fuel burning apparatus.

I must be missing something really important here. "It surely ain't Safety" But for the life of me, I can't figure it out..

cearley
01-14-2013, 08:52 PM
It's a small wonder that after a nice ride you come home to the smell of gas vapors. Ever notice how the left side exhaust pipe is routed right up against the gas tank. In fact the gas tank was designed with an indent for the pipe. Lots of heat being transferred into the gas tank. They should put out a form fitted heat shield for that section. In fact the entire exhaust system portion that's under the tupperware should be shielded. It should improve performance having a cooler engine compartment. This might require re mapping the fuel delivery system, but would be worth it in my humble opinion.

boborgera
01-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Would someone let me in on the reason for the canister. Does it recycle the fuel when it receives it.. If not why not just run it down to drip on the ground like every other fuel burning apparatus.

I must be missing something really important here. "It surely ain't Safety" But for the life of me, I can't figure it out..

Pollution control, Its supposed to trap gasoline fumes from the gas tank and then send it up though the throttle bodys to be burnt up in the engine.. All cars and trucks have a charcoal canister.,
I don't think many if ''any'' bikes have them. :dontknow:

BajaRon
01-14-2013, 09:07 PM

The Canister is an EPA requirement just like the vapor capture fuel nozzles on many gas pumps around the US. Some fuel in the gas tank converts to vapor. Vapor displaces a lot more volume than liquid fuel. The gas tank isn't going to expand to accommodate this pressure buildup so the vapor has to go somewhere.

In the olden days the fuel vapor was released into the atmosphere. But then it was discovered (or at least claimed) that we were all going to die. So it became illegal to vent the fuel tank this way. So the dreaded 'Canister' was born.

Vapors are now released into this holding tank with a valved outlet to the vacuum (intake) side of the engine to be burned. Great idea in theory but for some reason it has not worked out well in some Spyders because....

1- Raw Fuel gets into the vapor only hose (possibly from overfilling). Since the Canister is only designed to handle vapor, raw, liquid fuel overwhelms it and accumulates which can give off fumes and create a possible fire hazard.

2- The 'Purge' valve timing was incorrect on early Spyders (which has been corrected with updates) causing vapors to accumulate in the canister creating vapor smell.

3- The purge valve can fail (like any other part) causing vapor buildup and creating vapor smell.

There are other potential vapor smell sources and you should have this condition checked out and resolved.

Netminder
01-14-2013, 09:13 PM
I got my RT in July and store it in my Basement and have never once had a gas smell. I never ever over fill my tank! (as stated by BajaRon above)Alway leave the nozzle down a bit in the tank and take it out as soon as the gas hits it. I know people like to put as much as they can in their tank, put in some cases this can cause the smell. just my 2 cents.:ohyea:

DrewNJ
01-14-2013, 09:52 PM

Nope, your not missing anything.....
I removed mine at about 50 miles. I have no fuel smell.

Speaking of hot fuel.....anyone ever grab the metal fuel filter after a ride? It gets hot enough that you can't keep your hand on it.
I wrapped the filter with heat tape and pulled the bracket away from the motor as much as possible. Don't know if it does anything but since there is no real volume in the filter it's just another thing to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NancysToy
01-14-2013, 10:31 PM

It is not supposed to receive gas at all. The tip-ver valve and air loop at the top of the tank should prevent this, but they are not foolproof, and many vehicles suffer from gas in the canister...not just Spyders. Don't overfill your tank or fill to fast, to avoid this.

That would be a very bad idea. You need to change out the cap, it is a recall. Save your other as a spare if you like but you will kick yourself a 1000 times if there is a fire you could of prevented by changing the cap as required. Plus if they ever found out you didn't change the cap provided to you and could prove it (like this post) I'm not sure the insurance would have to cover it.
I'm not sure how accurate this is. I can find no record of a recall or pending recall on the NHTSA site, so it is apparently not listed as a safety recall. My guess would be that it was for emissions purposes.

El Dorado Bob
01-15-2013, 12:31 AM
The hose from the canister was pinched, no more gas smell or leaking. Update, as I spoke to soon, the issue continues. It is more prevalent after the fuel level drops to about half a tank and the Spyder is hot. In the shop twice, will keep trying to remedy. I'm not convinced this has to do with overfilling, but then these special California Gas nozzles are a pain when it comes to refueling anything.

Spyderjockey
01-15-2013, 08:33 AM
I have a 2008 PE GS Spyder and for years have had the raw gas fumes, sometimes really really bad. I have had it to the dealer and he has always just kind of dismissed it saying that I am just overfilling it which I do not do, especially over the last 2 years. I even did the "canisterectomy" which I know a lot of people on here have done and I still get the raw gas fumes. Which brings me to a previous question that I posted a while ago but no one answered it. After reading some of the posts here about the gas cap I guess I should reinstall the canister and then take it to the dealer for the inspection recall.

Lamonster
01-15-2013, 08:44 AM
It is not supposed to receive gas at all. The tip-ver valve and air loop at the top of the tank should prevent this, but they are not foolproof, and many vehicles suffer from gas in the canister...not just Spyders. Don't overfill your tank or fill to fast, to avoid this.

I'm not sure how accurate this is. I can find no record of a recall or pending recall on the NHTSA site, so it is apparently not listed as a safety recall. My guess would be that it was for emissions purposes.
Read this
http://spyder.brp.com/blog/post-details?PostID=ea6cc7c9-764b-44ad-9647-a12e00f66679

What is the potential problem?

The fuel cap may not seal properly the fuel tank filler neck. Fuel vapors in the presence of an ignition
source could result in a fire.

NancysToy
01-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Read this
http://spyder.brp.com/blog/post-details?PostID=ea6cc7c9-764b-44ad-9647-a12e00f66679

That explains the reason...thanks. Wonder why there is no apparent official US recall, although they have actually instituted an informal one?

xpeschon
01-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Scotty,, this has nothing to do with this threat BUT, you must have the most post on this site!!! You should be at the 16,000 mark by the end of the day.. Amazing, thank you for all the good advice you pass along to members....

X Man

NancysToy
01-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Scotty,, this has nothing to do with this threat BUT, you must have the most post on this site!!! You should be at the 16,000 mark by the end of the day.. Amazing, thank you for all the good advice you pass along to members....

X Man
Nah, Bob Denman passed me up a while back, and is racking them up faster than Speedy Gonzales. Nice to see ya back here, Joe. We missed you! This post was 16K, BTW. :opps:

fyrertuck
01-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Hello

I was having that problem too.

Now what I did was to change the fuel vent line from the tank to the canister.

After pulling both side body panels off I removed the tank vent to canister fuel line and pick up a new piece of fuel line from the auto store. I think it was 3/8 fuel line.

I come out of the tank vent and turn left with the hose and run it up the left side, next I crossed over the air filter housing (now this is more to the back of the housing not on top) then down to the canister. The fuel line is higher then the seat so gas will not run down to the canister, only vapors will. I did put a plastic cover over the fuel hose. I plan on moving the canister vent hose in spring.

No I do not have any pic but in spring I will do up some.

Note be safe about this mod you are playing with gas and vapors and if you put the hose to close to the engine you could have a fire.

Been a wrench turner for 30 years so play it safe.

Bob Denman
01-15-2013, 02:42 PM
But Scotty's posts will actually impart useful information... :2thumbs: :bowdown:

Tazzel
01-15-2013, 03:29 PM
That would be a very bad idea. You need to change out the cap, it is a recall. Save your other as a spare if you like but you will kick yourself a 1000 times if there is a fire you could of prevented by changing the cap as required. Plus if they ever found out you didn't change the cap provided to you and could prove it (like this post) I'm not sure the insurance would have to cover it. :dontknow:

nojoke

LOL, so how many Spyders have actually caught fire!!! and Spyders have been on the road how long??

Bob Denman
01-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Even if it's only one... Would you want it to be yours? :shocked:
if your Spyder caught fire while you were heading down the road at about 60mph; what would you do? :yikes:
(Well... after THAT; of course! :opps:)

Spyderjockey
01-15-2013, 06:35 PM
I have a 2008 PE GS Spyder and for years have had the raw gas fumes, sometimes really really bad. I have had it to the dealer and he has always just kind of dismissed it saying that I am just overfilling it which I do not do, especially over the last 2 years. I even did the "canisterectomy" which I know a lot of people on here have done and I still get the raw gas fumes. Which brings me to a previous question that I posted a while ago but no one answered it. After reading some of the posts here about the gas cap I guess I should reinstall the canister and then take it to the dealer for the inspection recall.

Was hoping for some kind of response this time about "canisterectomy" and recall! :dontknow:

Wasn't this procedure also supposed to stop raw gas fumes or am I mistaken. :dontknow:

Bob Ledford
01-15-2013, 07:41 PM
The gas cap is only one way you can get fuel smell, the other is through your EVAP canister. I would have your dealer check to see if your canister is full of fuel and check your purge valve.

Lamont

normally I would agree with you. However, the fuel tank only had approximately two maybe two a nd a half gallons of fuel in it as I filled it this morning and took 4,016 gallons.

i let it sit Sunday after I got home fo two hours to cool down as we had been doing a lot off stop n go traffic and it was. 79F out in the shade.

Now today after doing a 50 mile run I parked it in the same almost exact spot and no odors came out it.

The only tHing I have done to it was before the fill up I ,did take the new cap off and closely inspected the new oh ring seal it looked ok. Then I inspected the gas filler neck sealing surface for foreign debris or a ding, dent or cap scratch.

Finding what looked like a very bright spot I wiped it down. It was just a highly polished spot. Then I got the bright idea to very lightly lubricate the tank sealing lip with some multi use grease. The big difference result was it was easier to get to the cap torque release point for what ever that is. Worth

Tommorrow I go to the dealer for their side of the problem.:banghead::banghead:

Bob Ledford
01-15-2013, 07:56 PM
:opps:
Boy was I ever excited when the new gas cap arrived in the USPO mail 12 Jan 2013. I ripped the box open with great glee. Took the new and the old and compared them then installed the new one . I was taken by surprise at how much more twisting torque it took for the new one to hit the first slip click. I was so sure it was fixed.:clap:

We took a ride and when we parked it in the garage guess what? It still emitted the odor of freshly boiled gasoline. So I guess the problem still exists! I will be standing at my dealers service department door on Tuesday AM when he opens for business. :gaah:

Had to leave the garage door open for almost two hours before it cleared out. Going to try running a fan on the front end to see if cooling it down faster helps This approaching ridculous now as it has ben going on off and on for 16 months now. :banghead:

One reason for the canister is to prevent.air contamination by allowing fuel vapors breaching clean air. We can gthank the EPA and CARB fFor that regulation.

AnthonyG
01-16-2013, 02:11 PM
got my new gas cap today, but i havent had any problems with the old one, but i will use the new one and keep the old one for a spare.

Lamonster
01-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Lamont

normally I would agree with you. However, the fuel tank only had approximately two maybe two a nd a half gallons of fuel in it as I filled it this morning and took 4,016 gallons.

i let it sit Sunday after I got home fo two hours to cool down as we had been doing a lot off stop n go traffic and it was. 79F out in the shade.

Now today after doing a 50 mile run I parked it in the same almost exact spot and no odors came out it.

The only tHing I have done to it was before the fill up I ,did take the new cap off and closely inspected the new oh ring seal it looked ok. Then I inspected the gas filler neck sealing surface for foreign debris or a ding, dent or cap scratch.

Finding what looked like a very bright spot I wiped it down. It was just a highly polished spot. Then I got the bright idea to very lightly lubricate the tank sealing lip with some multi use grease. The big difference result was it was easier to get to the cap torque release point for what ever that is. Worth

Tommorrow I go to the dealer for their side of the problem.:banghead::banghead:

I'm not sure what your disagreeing with me on.

Lipz
01-16-2013, 03:49 PM
2012 SM5 RSS here. Did not have a problem but got the new cap and changed it. I would rather change the cap than watch my bike melt.

bhfromme
01-17-2013, 02:00 AM

Hi Lamonster. I had a guy under the front of my RT installing some LEDs and he said it was wet with gasoline. Dealer had no clue. Any insight on that?

Ga Blue Knight
01-17-2013, 06:32 AM

Installing the new gas cap will accomplish two things. It will keep you in legal compliance with the recall if you ever have to do warrantee work on the fuel system and it will keep you from losing it when and if the gas smell starts to appear. This is just a friendly suggestion.

pickelhead
01-17-2013, 08:09 AM
I was at the Can Am dealer in Greenville, SC this weekend. There is also a recall on a hose, depending on your VIN. My 2012 RTS was not on the list. The recall includes GS, RS, and RT's of all years. The new gas cap I received solved my feil smell problem.

cjackg
01-18-2013, 10:53 PM
The hose from the canister was pinched, no more gas smell or leaking.

I received the new fuel cap and started using it today, but it did not fix my problem. Still getting a gas drip after every hot shutdown.
Canister and valve was replaced by my dealer 4 months ago.

Is closing off the canister vent hose (underneath the RT) a workable solution? Either pinching it, or put a plug in it...?

ruthie
01-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Who will receive a new gas cap? Do I have to contact CanAm to receive a cap? Been off line due to the death of my sister so please fill me in. Thank you.

SpyRyd
01-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Who will receive a new gas cap? Do I have to contact CanAm to receive a cap? Been off line due to the death of my sister so please fill me in. Thank you.

First let me say how sorry I am for your loss...sisters are special...I have three of 'em.

Everyone will get the new gas cap. No need to contact BRP (CanAm). I believe BRP is mailing the caps to the folks in the South first since they typically enjoy year 'round ryding weather while its kinda hit and miss with the rest of us.

cjackg
01-21-2013, 06:37 PM
I received the new fuel cap and started using it today, but it did not fix my problem. Still getting a gas drip after every hot shutdown.
Canister and valve was replaced by my dealer 4 months ago.

Is closing off the canister vent hose (underneath the RT) a workable solution? Either pinching it, or put a plug in it...?

Never got any comments here, but talking to Doc Riverside got me some clear warnings this would close the venting for the tank and is definitely not advisable!

So now I am experimenting with a new solution to end the gas drip... to be continued soon...

Bob Ledford
01-28-2013, 01:13 PM

Update to the saga of the new gas cap and the smell of raw gasoline.

called Can Am B R P this morning. Got a very nice young man who even sounded like he cared. He listened. Without interrupting while I filled him in on what the problem was. What I had. Done. What my results were. He asked some specific details such as how full the URL tank was. How empty it was when it did it. When I asked him what did BRP wanted me to do next. He was a little taken back it seemed like. His guidance was to take everything to the local dealer, give them the reference number that he gave me. Ask that they examine the cap and evaporative fuel canister and a replacement gas cap could be had if necessary.

heasked at what RPMs did I try to. Normally drive at? He recommended not getting lower then 3,200 or better. I aśked why? Apparently the fuel canister begins recycling gruel at that engine speed.. My normal thing is about 3400 to 4800 in town traffic. So I know what'll iI will be doing Tuesday AM.

Bob Denman
01-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Bob,
Glad to hear that the Rep is trying to move this issue along to the point where the dealer can clear it up ror you! :thumbup:

Bob Ledford
01-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Went tto the dealership this morning. Came home with a new gaz cap installed. Parked it hot and 20 minutes later there were minimal gas fumes in the garage mostly stinking exhaust fumes.

Assistant to the absent [on vacation] service manager wanted to hold off on canister inspection until the Service Manager returned. I can live with that. Been out in the garage three times today and it does NOT smell like a refinery or an open barel of gasoline. Maybe just maybe it be fixed. It is hard to walk with your fingers, feet, and arms crossed.

jmcbow
01-29-2013, 03:22 PM

nojoke

I asked this under the "General Disscussion" forum, what the heck is the deal with the gas caps? I've not recieved anything from BRP regarding a recall on the gas cap.:dontknow:

kentompkins
01-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Not sure what your source or evidence is for that last sentence. Thousands of us have had Spyders for years (I've had mine since April 2008) and have had few or no problems. If you only read the few negative reports here, you might well get the impression that the Spyder has many problems. But if you read all or most of the postings, you will quickly find out that the Spyder -- for most of us -- is without serious problems.

If you are riding yours -- you do own one, right? -- like the rest of us, you have come to realize that they are a great ride mile after mile, year after year.

Just saying.

ken tompkins

Read a post sometime back the smell might be coming not from the gas cap but from a quick disconnect fuel line at the tank. There's always some kind of problem with these machines.

Lamonster
01-29-2013, 04:25 PM
I asked this under the "General Disscussion" forum, what the heck is the deal with the gas caps? I've not recieved anything from BRP regarding a recall on the gas cap.:dontknow:

http://spyder.brp.com/owner-center/recall-information-details?PostID=ea6cc7c9-764b-44ad-9647-a12e00f66679

And if you're not the original owner make sure your dealer has you put in the computer as the new owner.

jmcbow
01-29-2013, 04:43 PM
http://spyder.brp.com/owner-center/recall-information-details?PostID=ea6cc7c9-764b-44ad-9647-a12e00f66679

And if you're not the original owner make sure your dealer has you put in the computer as the new owner.

Thanks Lamont, I am the original owner. 2010 RTS, but I've not recieved anything regarding a gas cap recall. Will check with my dealership. Thanks again.

NancysToy
01-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Thanks Lamont, I am the original owner. 2010 RTS, but I've not recieved anything regarding a gas cap recall. Will check with my dealership. Thanks again.
These are being distributed in somebody's idea of accordance with riding season. Michigan hasn't been notified yet, either. Be patient!

Bob Denman
01-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Went tto the dealership this morning. Came home with a new gaz cap installed. Parked it hot and 20 minutes later there were minimal gas fumes in the garage mostly stinking exhaust fumes.

Assistant to the absent [on vacation] service manager wanted to hold off on canister inspection until the Service Manager returned. I can live with that. Been out in the garage three times today and it does NOT smell like a refinery or an open barel of gasoline. Maybe just maybe it be fixed. It is hard to walk with your fingers, feet, and arms crossed.

Bob,
So far... so good? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_29_107v.gif :2thumbs:

Y Rider
01-29-2013, 06:43 PM
The new gas cap didn't fix the gas fume smell so I went ahead and performed the canister removal mod. Took it out on 20 minute ride today with a full tank of fuel. Parked it in the garage and 15 minutes later had no gas smell. The real test will be this weekend when we go on a long enough ride that will heat the tank up enough to evaporate gas in the tank (boiling point).

JJW SpyderRider
01-29-2013, 07:07 PM

I live in Northern Illinois and have not received anything yet but don't expect one at this time of year. Let BRP take care of those that are still riding, at least more than me, first. I have not had any issues with gas smell on ether of my Spyders.

Trickie Dick
01-29-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm sure it's because of our tropical weather and everyone here in sunny Indiana is riding on a daily basis. :roflblack:
BTW, the only time I've had a fuel smell issue was when the weather was in the high 90's and I was ridng in stop and go traffic. So really, very few times. I've never considered it an issue.

RTVIPER
01-31-2013, 12:02 AM
The replacement gas cap did the trick. No more gas fumes filling up the garage :yes:

Anakrid46
01-31-2013, 09:06 AM
I have noted gas fumes coming from my 2012 RTS and it worries me a lot! Very strong on some days--I will let my dealer look into this next visit. I have looked for but never found any signs under the bike. I have noted that after rides in which I run fast I have more fumes after parking which leads me to think it may be the holding tank and plumbing at fault. Thanks to all for the input on this!:ani29:

ABQAndy
02-03-2013, 10:54 AM
At first I thought that the new gas cap cured the gas smell problem, not so. I took a long ride yesterday and parked in the garage. Went in the house for a few minutes and when I went back in the garage there was the strong gas smell again. Have to leave the garage open for an hour or so to clear the fumes. Wish there was a solution that the dealer could perform!!

Bob Denman
02-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Andy,
Any chance that it was just a case of overfilling the fuel tank? :dontknow:

Jeriatric
02-03-2013, 11:27 AM
At first I thought that the new gas cap cured the gas smell problem, not so. I took a long ride yesterday and parked in the garage. Went in the house for a few minutes and when I went back in the garage there was the strong gas smell again. Have leave the garage open for an hour or so clear the fumes. Wish there was a solution that the dealer could perform!!

Not saying this is your problem but I'm told there has been problems with purge valve failure. One would think if it fails to work, that would cause over vaporizing of the canister. That, in my thinking may cause the canister to foul. Emissions are a five year warranty item - if memory serves me :pray:

Bob Denman
02-03-2013, 11:34 AM
So if I've got this figured right; there's about three reasons for fuel smells...
Leaky gas cap gasket
Bad purge valve
overfilling the tank...

Are there any others that come to mind? :shocked:
The issue of the warranty is interesting...
If overfilling the tank ruins that canister; could that still be considered a warranty item? :dontknow:
After all; if you let it dry out well before calling the dealer; could they trace it back to owner error?

JJW SpyderRider
02-03-2013, 12:16 PM
So if I've got this figured right; there's about three reasons for fuel smells...
Leaky gas cap gasket
Bad purge valve
overfilling the tank...

Are there any others that come to mind? :shocked:
The issue of the warranty is interesting...
If overfilling the tank ruins that canister; could that still be considered a warranty item? :dontknow:
After all; if you let it dry out well before calling the dealer; could they trace it back to owner error?

Bob, You might add the leaking fitting on top of the gas tank. :dontknow:

ABQAndy
02-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Bob,

No, I started on the ride yesterday with about 3/4 of a tank of gas and didn't refill after the ride. I also am fairly careful not to overfill the tank.

cjackg
02-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Andy,
Any chance that it was just a case of overfilling the fuel tank? :dontknow:
This is the first question they ask when you report the problem to a dealer and looks to me like an effort to blame the owner and/or possibly avoid acknowledging there is a basic problem!
I never had this problem with my 2010 RT but had it from the 1st week with the 2012 RT and I never "overfilled" either one.

Something different with the 2012? The Canister & purge valve were replaced on the 2012 by my dealer and I have the new cap, but the problem is still there.
My dealer is consulting with BRP on the next step....

Bob Denman
02-04-2013, 08:20 AM
That's an easy question to answer;
"No sir; I would never, EVER, EVER overfill a tank!" ;)
Please keep us in the loop on what is found. Good Luck! :thumbup:

Bob Ledford
02-04-2013, 07:01 PM
I think, I am really hoping, that the second replacement cap is a winner, Last Saturday i. was at the selling dealership browsing an made mention that my original replacement call was not working. I took it off for the service department CSR to look at and it was her recommendation to take a cap turned in by a former owner and try it over the weekend.

i am glad that I did!!!!!:shemademe_smilie:

Only1Pooh
02-05-2013, 12:04 AM

I have the same model and year too Tazzel and I didn't have any gas smell either ... But after seeing some posts about fires starting with or without any indication / warning ... I did change out to the New gas cap that came from BRP.

OneBadPenny
02-05-2013, 12:31 AM
We did not have any gas fume smell with the old gas caps --
We received the new ones for the RSS and RTS and dutifully put them on.
Went on 2 different rides and the gas smell was overwhelming in the garage both times.
Put the old gas caps back on to test if there was any fumes and amazingly, there was absolutely none.
What's up with that? :banghead: Frustrated.

spydeyblue
02-05-2013, 12:50 AM
We own a 2012 RT-S, and we've started having the same problem with strong gasoline odors, and liquid gasoline dripping from the evap cannister overflow line, after a long ride, and a nearly empty gas tank. After reading many posts on this forum, we know better than to even come close to overfilling our gas tank. We took our Spyder to the dealership a few weeks ago, and all they did was replace the evap cannister. As soon as we rode our Spyder home from the dealership, the evap cannister overflow line was dripping gasoline again, so obviously, the cannister wasn't the only problem. My guess, after reading the technical manual, and lots of posts on this forum, is the purge valve has failed. We're taking our Spyder back to the dealership again, and I'm going to insist they troubleshoot the blasted purge valve, this time around, not just throw another cannister at the problem. If the purge valve isn't broken, then my guess is the vapor recovery system design itself is flawed, somehow. If so, BRP needs to fix the problem, ASAP, with a voluntary recall. California is pretty harsh, when it comes to vehicle emission violations, so BRP would be much better off handling the problem themselves, before Sacramento finds out about it! nojoke

Sincerely,
Paul and Linda

Bob Denman
02-05-2013, 08:12 AM
I think, I am really hoping, that the second replacement cap is a winner, Last Saturday i. was at the selling dealership browsing an made mention that my original replacement call was not working. I took it off for the service department CSR to look at and it was her recommendation to take a cap turned in by a former owner and try it over the weekend.

Bob,
:shocked: :bbq:
Any improvement?

jmcbow
02-06-2013, 10:41 AM
These are being distributed in somebody's idea of accordance with riding season. Michigan hasn't been notified yet, either. Be patient!

Recieved mine yesterday, I guess their not shipping these "in accordance with the riding season" as there is a foot of snow on the ground here.:joke:

NancysToy
02-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Recieved mine yesterday, I guess their not shipping these "in accordance with the riding season" as there is a foot of snow on the ground here.:joke:

Yea, we got ours yesterday, too. Maybe they know something we don't? :roflblack:

Bob Denman
02-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Perhaps they're forecasting an early Spring??? :pray: :thumbup:

Bob Ledford
02-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Bob,
:shocked: :bbq:
Any improvement?

I went out on Sat. For about 60 mile ride average temperature was in the low seventies came he pulled in the garage, went through a short idle period, while I set the PB and killed it with the key switch. No immediate odors present. Anne came in and said, you need to smell the garage! It just reeked of boiling fuel odors. Turned on the fan and raised the garage door a foot. Took about an hour to clear the air.

Did the same thing on Sunday but no odors emitted.

Did the same thing on Monday no orders emitted. Tank is showing half capacity now.

Tuesday took a short three miler to the dealership to meet a friend from AL, went to lunch another two mile trip after lunch retraced the route and when I turned the Spyder off the gas odors were excessive..

Needless to say I was really discouraged by it all. Plan on going to the dealership in a bit if it does not rain in the meantime.

Bob Denman
02-06-2013, 01:05 PM
:shocked: There is nothing more frustrating, than a problem that rears it's head "intermittently". :gaah:
The purge valve is sticking once in a while?? :dontknow:

Make sure that they're aware that it's not doing it all of the time... Good Luck! :thumbup:

Bob Ledford
02-06-2013, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=OneBadPenny;569667]We did not have any gas fume smell with the old gas caps --
We received the new ones for the RSS and RTS and dutifully put them on.
Went on 2 different rides and the gas smell was overwhelming in the garage both times.
Put the old gas caps back on to test if there was any fumes and amazingly, there was absolutely none.
What's up with that? :banghead: Frustrated.[/QUOTE

i wish I had your problem and you had mine. I am on number two cap and the problem is worse then the original compliant. 2011 RTL. 3,000 miles Aug 2011 new. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Bob Ledford
02-07-2013, 04:47 PM
It went back in the shop this afternoon for a canister MRI!!!!! :bdh:

Grandpa Pete
02-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Well. I received the new gas cap a couple of days ago, so, they have founf their way to the Great White North ( well central minnesota).. to cold to try it out. Next week might be in the 30's, I'll try then..

lookerjdc
02-09-2013, 09:05 AM
New gas cap solved the 'smell' problem for me

cjackg
02-09-2013, 09:23 AM
[QUOTE=Bob Ledford;570846]It went back in the shop this afternoon for a canister MRI!!!!! QUOTE]
Good Luck! I am on the 2nd canister, purge valve, & gas cap and replacing them did not fix the prob after a few days. Tests that I have been doing show clearly that the fumes & drip start about 20-30 min after a hot shutdown.
The experiment I have been doing with a filter at the end of the vent hose to catch the drip shows the drip pulled back up into the canister after a full cool down, about an hour.
More testing planned, then I am going to contact BRP but I really think the only true fix for this is going to be wrapping the pipes and front of tank to prevent fuel boiling....:dontknow:

GadgetGuy442
02-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Just got the gas cap for my 2010 RTS... My last name starts with an "S" so I'd figured I would hear others received theirs before I got mine.

Am happy to say I have never had a gas smell with our machine, but will make the swap and toss out the old cap anyway. Don't want to wait for trouble to come knocking on my door.

Just waiting for Spring and warmer weather now......

Bill

PS... I used to be an engineer in the powertrain activity with an auto company. Had carburetor (remember them?) and emission system responsibilities (canisters, purge valves, purge solenoids, etc.). A couple of comments I'll make are that the evaporative emission system, when engineered properly, should work with no noticeable odors at all. If there's odor noted, that should be checked and fixed. Because the fuel system is designed to vent to a canister, and then purge the canister while driving, any canisterectomy makes me feel a little nervous. The total fuel handling system is designed in a way that relies on the safe capture of the vapor, and to simply avert that part of it is pretty risky in my humble opinion. If you smell fumes, insist on getting the technical expertise your dealer needs to fix it.
Trust your nose!

One other thought - depending on where the purge port is located in the throttle body (relative to the position of the throttle plate), the rate of purge will depend on engine speed and throttle position. I honestly don't know how the engineers have set up the Spyder, but higher purge rates generally occur when the throttle is in a more closed position, thus creating more engine vacuum to the purge port. My personal driving style is one where I shift early and generally keep my engine rpms down, and I've never noticed any fuel vapor smell. Am not suggesting there's cause and effect going on here, just making an observation.

Bob Ledford
02-13-2013, 08:38 PM
I now have the “straight skinny” on the raw gas smell emitted by the Spyder’s of the world. BRP”s CSR for dealers told the dealer to first check the charcoal canister for having raw gasoline in it. They took my Spyder a 2011 RT-L and denuded it of its outer skin and inspected the canister looking for a liquid drip. They pressure tested the system for leaks and found.every connection to be gas tight.

Here is what the BRP CSR desk had to say. If the canister is dry the system is workng as designed to work. The theory of operation is that when you get done riding your supposed to park your Spyder in a well ventilated area to let it cool down and the recovery system to do its thing. Then you bring it inside.

The new replacement cap has a higher vent pressure valve in it. That must be so the vapors in the tank push the vapors through the canister unit it cools down not allowing them, the fuel hydrocarbons, to escape into the atmosphere like the old cap did. Supposedly if the canister size were increased to handle everything it would have to be made big enough to fill the “frunk!”

Guess it is time to buy a Spyder cooler, a36 inch box fan, for the garage! Then I will have the only Spyder in the USA that has its own fan to stay cool with. At least until I stumble on a cure. The “mad scientist/engineer rides again!”

Bob Denman
02-14-2013, 08:06 AM
:shocked::hun: Bob, I've got to admit that the answer you received seems... like a dodge! :yikes:

NancysToy
02-14-2013, 08:26 AM
That sounds like it opens up a huge can of worms regarding liability. If potential owners are not warned of these "special procedures" up front, and they are not printed in the instruction manual, I doubt that the courts would consider them "prudent and normal." JMHO

Anyone up for a game of dodgeball?

AbNormy
02-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Thanks Gadgetguy and Bob Ledford. I've been using a spydercooler since I bought my 2012 RT A&C in April and that's prolly only reason hadn't had a house fire, as it was a long hot summer last year expecting another. We got SpyderPops block off plates and Harvey drilled the cowling underneath as well. Bikes currently at dealer I bought it from Central Texas Powersports, Georgetown, Tx, for the 14k service and they're saying the canister might be saturated. Hoping Melvin and Billy get this sorted out. I did get some exhaust wrap with stainless ties, will report back on results. Really appreciate folks taking the time to post their experiences with this. 62957

Sent from my home in Central Texas!

AbNormy
03-03-2013, 02:58 AM
Got our 2012 RT A&C 14k service finished, replaced filters K&N trans oil filters valve adjust pluqs and wires from Baja Ron, plus they wrapped the left header so hopefully the heat won't boil the gas under the Tupperware! Billy and Melvin @ central Texas power sports do good work. If your in CenTex area they beat woods hands down.

Sent from my home in Central Texas!

Bob Ledford
05-29-2013, 07:02 PM
Since my last update I have made some discoveries

1. It is related to heat.

2. Fill up just before parking for the day. No smell.

3. I am not overfilling the tank.

4. When it is 80 degrees out and the tank is partially full no smell.

5. When is 81 degrees out and the tank is partially full it stinks.

6. Following BRP's suggestion to leaving it outside, don't get it. But running a 36 inch box fan for 10 minutes or more even on SLOW speed does kilL THE SMELL?

I want to try wrapping the exhaust pipes when I feel more motivated not to ride every day of the week.

Bob Ledford
06-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Still smelling some fumes. But the BRP work around is working . But I don't consider it fixed by any fig newton of my imagination.

Bowtie41
05-03-2017, 11:03 PM
Nope, your not missing anything.....
I removed mine at about 50 miles. I have no fuel smell.

Speaking of hot fuel.....anyone ever grab the metal fuel filter after a ride? It gets hot enough that you can't keep your hand on it.
I wrapped the filter with heat tape and pulled the bracket away from the motor as much as possible. Don't know if it does anything but since there is no real volume in the filter it's just another thing to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2012 RT(new to us) has fuel odors.I have checked the cap,etc,and all looks ok.Only had Spyder about 2 weeks,bought from a friend,orig.owner.Only been on a 100 mi. ride since bought,been raining since every freakin' day,but had some odor when we got home.On day we bought it I asked him about the gas smell,he said the dealer told him it was "normal?"He didn't mention ever getting a new cap.If I buy one,will it be the updated one?Anyone have a pic of he replacement so I can make sure it's the updated cap?Any tips/steps/instructions to remove the can(for testing purposes,lol)?Anything need to be capped off?I really appreciate any info you can share.Thanks!

jcthorne
05-04-2017, 09:12 AM
My 2012 RT(new to us) has fuel odors.I have checked the cap,etc,and all looks ok.Only had Spyder about 2 weeks,bought from a friend,orig.owner.Only been on a 100 mi. ride since bought,been raining since every freakin' day,but had some odor when we got home.On day we bought it I asked him about the gas smell,he said the dealer told him it was "normal?"He didn't mention ever getting a new cap.If I buy one,will it be the updated one?Anyone have a pic of he replacement so I can make sure it's the updated cap?Any tips/steps/instructions to remove the can(for testing purposes,lol)?Anything need to be capped off?I really appreciate any info you can share.Thanks!

There
are lots of suggestions about on what you can do about the gas smell on your 998 bike. Just read through the forum.

In the end, the only real way of getting rid of it on anything other than a 2013 RT is to trade it in on a newer Spyder with the 1330 engine. In high ambient temps, they ALL have gas fumes. Some worse than others, some while riding and some worse when parking in the garage. Leave your garage door open long enough for the bike to cool and vent. BRP never really corrected this issue on the 998s except for the 13 RT.

Pirate looks at --
05-04-2017, 09:17 AM
There
are lots of suggestions about on what you can do about the gas smell on your 998 bike. Just read through the forum.

In the end, the only real way of getting rid of it on anything other than a 2013 RT is to trade it in on a newer Spyder with the 1330 engine. In high ambient temps, they ALL have gas fumes. Some worse than others, some while riding and some worse when parking in the garage. Leave your garage door open long enough for the bike to cool and vent. BRP never really corrected this issue on the 998s except for the 13 RT.
JC do you think that installing the 13 scoops might mitigate some of the heat issues that maybe causing the fuel to heat up to such a degree?

jcthorne
05-04-2017, 12:42 PM
JC do you think that installing the 13 scoops might mitigate some of the heat issues that maybe causing the fuel to heat up to such a degree?

Yes,
they really do help. Both heat and fumes. They still heat soak after parking though and the gas stink comes back. But the air scoops do make matters much better while riding. Well worth the small cost.

KX5062
05-05-2017, 09:05 AM

Check underneath the bike and see if the plastic panels are still there. Many believe that removing those will help by increasing air circulation and thereby cooling the fuel tank. The big problem is the rear cylinder exhaust header runs right next to the gas tank, superheating the gasoline. I had the boiling gas problem on my old GS and solved it through various methods, but I can't say if those apply to the old RT line or not.

Bowtie41
05-28-2017, 11:58 PM
Check underneath the bike and see if the plastic panels are still there. Many believe that removing those will help by increasing air circulation and thereby cooling the fuel tank. The big problem is the rear cylinder exhaust header runs right next to the gas tank, superheating the gasoline. I had the boiling gas problem on my old GS and solved it through various methods, but I can't say if those apply to the old RT line or not.

I had talked to Spyderpops about their heat shields and they said I could add both heat block-off plates to the right side panel if I removed the plastic shields underneath too,but I looked at the parts CD and am unsure exactly which shield to remove.Ever nice day the wife either takes it to work or makes me go on a ride,so nothing gets none;).Think I'll slip her a sleeping pill so I can look under it,lol.I'm sure I'll get it figured out okay.I like to ride in shorts and my ankle is at about medium-well now,lmao.I'm also ordering the heat wrap for the exhaust,going to put the bypass pipe on,and other tips I learned here.It's already a cool looking ride,soon t will a cool feeling ride too!Thanks for all the help everyone:bowdown: