PDA

View Full Version : Installation of RT shocks on 2011 RS Spyder

blambert
01-13-2013, 11:14 PM
Folks,

Just purchased some used RT front shocks for my 2011 RS ( I also have installed the Baja Ron sway bar). Any tips of the trade for removing my old RS shocks and installing the RT front shocks.

Regards,

Lambo

boomerkc
01-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Put zero mileage RT shocks on my '08 GS/RS a few weeks ago. Piece of cake. Only recommendation I'd make is to wear gloves when you're using that crazy adjustment wrench. I didn't and scraped my hand on the cove of the "A" support. Peeled a little skin off. Running mine at 4 without the sway bar. With sway bar, I understand 3 should be sufficient unless you ride 2-up a lot.

sabunim5
01-14-2013, 08:16 PM
The swap is straight forward. Remove the bolt at each end of the old shocks. Replace with the new shocks. I don't remember the torque setting on the shock bolts. Having a jack will help ease the alignment of the bolts with the holes. I have a sway bar and set the RT shocks on 5. I like stiff suspension, ride two up a lot and often pull a trailer. Good Luck with your swap. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-15-2013, 11:04 AM
You might have to do some jigglin' & wigglin' to get the old shocks out from within the a-arms... Try to remember that little dance because it'll help with getting the new shocks into their new homes... :thumbup:

arntufun
01-15-2013, 11:48 AM
When installing new shock, put the top bolt in first and then lower the jack (or lift the wheel) until the bottom bolt lines up. Piece of cake install. :thumbup:

MikeinGA
01-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Put a wheel bearing grease on the nut and bolt, it keeps the hex end of nut and bolt from damage. When putting it back together put a light synthetic oil on the threads, keeps them from rusting.
That's IMHO.

Mike

sabunim5
01-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Put a wheel bearing grease on the nut and bolt, it keeps the hex end of nut and bolt from damage. When putting it back together put a light synthetic oil on the threads, keeps them from rusting.
That's IMHO.

Mike

If you add oil to the threads, do it after you have torqued them. JMHO

MikeinGA
01-16-2013, 11:14 PM
If you add oil to the threads, do it after you have torqued them. JMHO

No. I oil the whole thread. This helps stop the bolt from rusting.

Mike

NancysToy
01-16-2013, 11:25 PM
No. I oil the whole thread. This helps stop the bolt from rusting.

Mike

Then you need to increase the torque.