PDA

View Full Version : Excess oil in tank...where does it go?

ulflyer
01-13-2013, 05:21 PM
A friend says her RT drips oil underneath where she parks and she has to add oil frequently. I can see no obvious oil leaks around the filter caps or anywhere else on the parts you can see with the left side panels off. Her oil it was overfull so I took out about 4 oz which still left it near the top.

Where does excess go? I know some had issues with it going into the air filter box and I didn't check hers, but is there any other place where it can get throw out?

BajaRon
01-13-2013, 05:24 PM
A friend says her RT drips oil underneath where she parks and she has to add oil frequently. I can see no obvious oil leaks around the filter caps or anywhere else on the parts you can see with the left side panels off. Her oil it was overfull so I took out about 4 oz which still left it near the top.

Where does excess go? I know some had issues with it going into the air filter box and I didn't check hers, but is there any other place where it can get throw out?

There are other possibilities, but the air box is the most likely place for oil to go. Right front corner as you're sitting on the Spyder. Check that first. If it is dry then look elsewhere.

boborgera
01-13-2013, 05:55 PM
There are other possibilities, but the air box is the most likely place for oil to go. Right front corner as you're sitting on the Spyder. Check that first. If it is dry then look elsewhere.

:agree: And also it's very easy to check, Just run your hand on the bottom right side of the air box,
If thats where the oil is going you'll find it on your hand.

Recluze
01-13-2013, 07:11 PM

Overfull will lead to oil in the airbox and then leaks. The leaks can last a long time.

I run my RS on the low side. I also have a piece of air cleaner sponge in the bypass return to air box line.