PDA

View Full Version : swaybar linkage broken

Tx web rider
01-11-2013, 12:30 AM
today i was replacing the lower a arm bushings that my dealer told me was my front end front to back movement in my right hand side wheel assembly that i noticed last oil change while i had it on jacks

was in the shop Monday granted this is Thursday today first nice day to actually get some time under the bike

jacked it up to start removing the bushings and wow look what i saw

and the dealer didn't see this !!!!! on Monday

now to go get more parts sigh the dealer is 140 miles away

Big Arm
01-11-2013, 12:55 AM
:yikes:

Ken Thomas
01-11-2013, 03:02 AM
:gaah::gaah::gaah::chill::opps:

Frank G
01-11-2013, 03:50 AM
Wow,:yikes: do you have the origional sway bar or an aftermarket? Year and miles on the bike?

Bob Denman
01-11-2013, 07:42 AM
I'd send him some pics of this, and ask him to explain what it was that he thought he was looking at. :gaah:

NancysToy
01-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Looks like damage from improper jacking (or a big hammer). I think somebody tried to jack it up there at some time, or a jackstand slipped out of place. It originall broke in the opposite direction from where it sits now, then moved to this location after the eye broke out. Your Spyder will handle much better after you replace it. You probably won't even recognize the old girl, with a new link and the new bushings. JMHO

asp125
01-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Is that the rest of it on the right? Did you ever bottom it out on a curb or ramp or pothole? The rusty abrasion on the piece points to an impact of some kind. The break also looks like an impact break rather than a fatigue crack that works over time.

BajaRon
01-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Wow! Speak of the devil! I just had a customer ask me about broken links today. I told him I had not personally heard of one breaking, though I have heard of cracked links.

Would really like to know what happened to that one. I would agree with Scotty that something out of the ordinary happened here. I don't see how a sway bar could put enough stress on one to break it like that.

Could have been defective. Who knows.

Thanks for the picture and the update.

spydercowboy
01-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Guess that's why they say not to off road them.:lecturef_smilie:

Tx web rider
01-12-2013, 02:46 AM
well its a 2009 rs with 41k miles on it it goes down any road it will make it has been on washboard rock in big bend, sand ,calichi, muddy loads of dirt and highway miles

possibly done on a speed bump i bottomed on while 2 up not sure that was a while back
could be impact damage the rust is from the fact i live 2 blocks from the gulf of Mexico and always subject to salty sea breeze the left side has more rust yet on the arm

this is the factory sway bar

the dealer said they will order them and ship them to me so i don't have to do the 140 miles each way to get them

BajaRon
01-12-2013, 09:41 AM
well its a 2009 rs with 41k miles on it it goes down any road it will make it has been on washboard rock in big bend, sand ,calichi, muddy loads of dirt and highway miles

possibly done on a speed bump i bottomed on while 2 up not sure that was a while back
could be impact damage the rust is from the fact i live 2 blocks from the gulf of Mexico and always subject to salty sea breeze the left side has more rust yet on the arm

this is the factory sway bar

the dealer said they will order them and ship them to me so i don't have to do the 140 miles each way to get them

Sounds like the average Spyder Ryder will not have to be concerned then. Thanks for the update...

bluestratos
02-11-2013, 01:04 PM
That raises a quest for me, I have the new BaJa Ron Sway Bar, I wonder if the greater resistance imposed by the thick bar will have any impact on these linkages?