PDA

View Full Version : Miles per gallon

wolfeman220940
01-08-2013, 08:05 PM
I know that is how hard you drive the spyder. I am going to be using this bike as my daily commuter since it get so much better mileage then my truck. But I am wondering witch one is better on the GoGo juice. :)

Huntindawg1962
01-08-2013, 08:15 PM
I am not following what your question is??:dontknow:

boborgera
01-08-2013, 08:23 PM
I am not following what your question is??:dontknow:

I Think hes saying which Spyder gets better mpg. RS or RT.

wolfeman220940
01-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Sorry had to much on my mind when I did that last post. What I meant was witch of spyder get better mileage. Either the Rs, RT or the St

NancysToy
01-08-2013, 10:02 PM
There is not going to be enough difference to bother with. It depends a lot more on how and where you ride, than it does the model. JMHO

wolfeman220940
01-08-2013, 10:10 PM
I ride about 65 mile round trip. About 60% highway and 40% city traffic.

ARtraveler
01-08-2013, 10:14 PM
I have had both the RS and the RT. On all four :spyder2:,s the overall mileage has been around 31 mpg. I drive fairly conservative and do not exceed the posted speed limits by more than 5 mph. I am guessing the new ST will fall within the same parameters since it is the same size engine as the others.

Your actual mileage depends on throttle control, driving conditions, wind, weight, passenger or not--etc. etc. etc.

This is a hard one to nail down specifically. My four :ani29:,s owned cover over 50,000 miles of driving and the 31 mpg is pretty much across the board.

BajaRon
01-08-2013, 10:14 PM
All things being equal the RS or ST are going to get better mileage. But as Scotty says, the difference is probably not enough to base your decision on this one factor.

When riding with Lamont and his RT pulling a trailer I get significantly better mileage. But it's freeway speed most of the time and he's pulling a lot more weight. Not a fair comparison.

FaranH
01-08-2013, 10:35 PM
When riding with Lamont and his RT pulling a trailer I get significantly better mileage.

So what kind of gas mileage do you get when you're not riding with Lamont? :roflblack:

MikeinGA
01-08-2013, 11:43 PM
Sorry had to much on my mind when I did that last post. What I meant was witch of spyder get better mileage. Either the Rs, RT or the St

My 2011 RS-S Spyder gets:

Highway 39.5 to 44.6 mpg. This is flat road and gas station to gas station no wind.
Highway 36.1 to 38.2 mpg. This is up though the mountains and gas station to gas station with light wind.

I don't drive much city driving, but over all I get 34 to 35 mpg. I use about 92 octane gas.

I found when my rear tire is not in alignment (squared to frame), I get lower mpg.

Mike

BajaRon
01-09-2013, 12:03 AM
So what kind of gas mileage do you get when you're not riding with Lamont? :roflblack:

Lamont rides kind of slow... So my mileage is better when I'm riding with him than otherwise! :rolleyes:

SpyRyd
01-09-2013, 04:51 AM

Highway 39.5 to 44.6 mpg. This is flat road and gas station to gas station no wind.
Highway 36.1 to 38.2 mpg. This is up though the mountains and gas station to gas station with light wind.

I don't drive much city driving, but over all I get 34 to 35 mpg. I use about 92 octane gas.

I found when my rear tire is not in alignment (squared to frame), I get lower mpg.

Mike

Wow Mike that is great MPG. The best I've ever recorded was about 33 MPG, with an average of about 30 MPG on my 2012 RT Limited. Always use premium fuel, ryde 1 up, and at or close to the speed limit.

Kungfuspyder
01-09-2013, 05:12 AM
Are you saying that Lamont drives like a senior:roflblack::roflblack:.

Hberninger
01-09-2013, 05:15 AM

Mike

Mike,
is there some secret to getting mpg's in the upper 30's? I average around 28 on my 2012 RT.
I would not consider myself a "hot rodder".
Bernie

Bob Denman
01-09-2013, 07:49 AM
It all really comes down to how you treat the loud grip... :thumbup:

Ivorspyder
01-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Mike,
is there some secret to getting mpg's in the upper 30's? I average around 28 on my 2012 RT.
Bernie
:agree: I have been using fuelly.com on my RT limited religiously on every single fuel up since beginning Oct.One rider no trailer.Here are the actual results.
43 Fuel ups. Average is 26.1 MPG. Only 4fuel ups just over 30MPG.1 fuel up 40 mpg.
There are 25 other RTs listed fueling up out of these only 5 average just over 30 mpg the balance vary between 23 and 29 MPG.
Out of the 25 18 get better mileage and 6 get worse mileage than me.
I ride by keeping my revs up eg changing gears at 5000rpm etc :gaah:

Ivor:spyder:

Bob Denman
01-09-2013, 08:32 AM
What kind of driving? Is it pretty open, or are you in a fair amount of stop and go situations?
I currently shift at about 4500 rpm in open driving; averaging a bit over 31 mpg
When I was shifting at only 4000 rpm; the average was up around 34... :thumbup:
(But that ain't good on the clutches! :shocked:)

scooterexpress
01-09-2013, 08:46 AM
keeping the rpm's up to me doesnt seem to get me any better gas milage taking bike to work and back 34mi r/t i get 25mpg@40-45mph and keeping rpms at 4-5 in 3rd gear,was under the impression i would get better mpg..running 92 oct all times.

BajaRon
01-09-2013, 08:54 AM
keeping the rpm's up to me doesnt seem to get me any better gas milage taking bike to work and back 34mi r/t i get 25mpg@40-45mph and keeping rpms at 4-5 in 3rd gear,was under the impression i would get better mpg..running 92 oct all times.

Keeping the RPM's up will reduce your fuel mileage.

Ivorspyder
01-09-2013, 09:09 AM
What kind of driving? Is it pretty open, or are you in a fair amount of stop and go situations?
I currently shift at about 4500 rpm in open driving; averaging a bit over 31 mpg
When I was shifting at only 4000 rpm; the average was up around 34... :thumbup:
(But that ain't good on the clutches! :shocked:)
Most of my riding is pretty open.Ofcourse some of it changing down town driving but never stop go traffic jams.Probably 30 percent.I also use 92 octane.I know of a gas station with non ethanol pumps 90 octane which I use if in the vicinity and that's when I improve to the 29 mpg instead of 26 mpg .
An interesting point 5 Spyders rode approx 110miles together after all filling up together last week.The 1st 50 miles was on Florida Turnpike doing 75 mph.The next 20 miles was the back road into the Florida keys doing around 55mph using 4 gear most of the time,The last 40 miles or so was at around 40to 50 mph busy rd thru the keys into Marathon.Three of us checked the fuel fill up and were all around 23.50 mpg.

Ivor:spyder:

Bob Denman
01-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Even that 30 percent stop and go is making a difference; all of my riding is out on the open road. (Our Towns are all pretty far apart up here still...)
Each time you have to run up through the gears; dino-juice is running through the bike like crap through a goose! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16_5_23.gif

DocRags
01-09-2013, 09:43 AM
We did better on our mileage when we were in the mountains...couldn't figure out how much was the altitude and how much was lower speeds than our usual roads around home. Never have had mileage like Mike, though (*sigh*).

reggystan
01-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Something to consider also because down in Fl I get no more than 22 mpg on my RT using premium fuel 50/50 highway city. But more recently I've been trying to fill up with pure gasoline with no ethanol and my mileage jumped up right away to 33MPG which is unheard of for me. Which leads me to think that there is more than 10% Ethanol in those fuels. When riding up north in the mountains I often run across this non ethanol fuel.. Anyone else using this type of gas?

boborgera
01-09-2013, 10:39 AM
But more recently I've been trying to fill up with pure gasoline Which leads me to think that there is more than 10% Ethanol in those fuels.

:agree: 10% is the minimum, Which leads me to believe that at times there's more than the 10%
in the mix. :dontknow:

Lamonster
01-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Lamont rides kind of slow... So my mileage is better when I'm riding with him than otherwise! :rolleyes:

I think that's the first time I've seen this in print. nojoke:yikes:

I guess "Ron is always on time or early" would follow as about as true. :roflblack:

bikeguy
01-09-2013, 11:56 AM
We did better on our mileage when we were in the mountains...couldn't figure out how much was the altitude and how much was lower speeds than our usual roads around home. Never have had mileage like Mike, though (*sigh*).

Me, too. Had a few tanks where the mileage was over 40 MPG in the mountains around Taos, NM and, like you, I don't know if it's the altitude or the slowwer average pace. Around home, in flatter country, I usually get between 28 and 30 MPG on my 2010 RT.

Cotton

BajaRon
01-09-2013, 12:43 PM

I think we all experienced that. Here are two probable reasons.

1- Higher altitude = less oxygen. The FI system compensates by leaning out the fuel mixture.
2- Because this combination is known to reduce power, less Ethanol is used in high altitude fuels

This probably isn't the whole story but may be at least part of it.

.... recently I've been trying to fill up with pure gasoline with no ethanol and my mileage jumped up right away to 33MPG which is unheard of for me. Which leads me to think that there is more than 10% Ethanol in those fuels.

Standard Ethanol blended fuels are supposed to have 'UP TO' 10% Ethanol. Fuel companies get a subsidy of our money (Taxes) for adding Ethanol. The subsidy goes up as the % of Ethanol goes up so the incentive is obviously to add more Ethanol. Ethanol blended fuel is actually MORE expensive than straight gasoline. The difference is that we are paying the additional amount in taxes (which we don't see).

Not only is Ethanol bad for fuel mileage but it is very hard on engines. 10% is about as far as you can go without just destroying the average gasoline engine. Anything over 10% Ethanol requires a specially built motor to deal with the destructive characteristics of this expensive fuel additive. Your tax dollars are again at work helping you in ways you never imagined! :banghead:

Rule of thumb is that you'll get about a 10% increase in mileage switching from a 10% Ethanol blended fuel to a non-ethanol fuel of the same octane.

I think that's the first time I've seen this in print. nojoke:yikes:

I guess "Ron is always on time or early" would follow as about as true. :roflblack:

Sorry Good Buddy! FaranH called me out so I had to http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/295/4/a/throw_under_bus_by_mirz123-d4dlhl0.gif

scooterexpress
01-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Something to consider also because down in Fl I get no more than 22 mpg on my RT using premium fuel 50/50 highway city. But more recently I've been trying to fill up with pure gasoline with no ethanol and my mileage jumped up right away to 33MPG which is unheard of for me. Which leads me to think that there is more than 10% Ethanol in those fuels. When riding up north in the mountains I often run across this non ethanol fuel.. Anyone else using this type of gas?

i've used non-ethanol as a trial to see the diff the end result was there were no diff was also running at a constant speed of 70mph for 75 miles used same amount there and back..now i know the non-ethanol is better for the engine but can't justify the cost when theres no real increase in milage.

BajaRon
01-09-2013, 01:12 PM
i've used non-ethanol as a trial to see the diff the end result was there were no diff was also running at a constant speed of 70mph for 75 miles used same amount there and back..now i know the non-ethanol is better for the engine but can't justify the cost when theres no real increase in milage.

Did you use one tank or several? Two reasons I ask. Of course there is the issue of dilution depending on how much fuel you got (with a 1 tank test). And it may take a bit for the ECM to adjust to the new fuel as well.

scooterexpress
01-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Did you use one tank or several? Two reasons I ask. Of course there is the issue of dilution depending on how much fuel you got (with a 1 tank test). And it may take a bit for the ECM to adjust to the new fuel as well.

ok you got me on this one because it was a 1 tank test..but when we were headed to durango it was more than 1 tank think 3 fill-ups no noticable milage differences or horsepower so decided there was no reason to continue to go out of the way for this type fuel..

Bob Denman
01-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Isn't it really all about the Smiles per gallon anyway? :D

modagwood
01-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Keeping the RPM's up will reduce your fuel mileage.
I have a 2012 RT, Performance package, two brothers exhaust, cold air intake, high flow air cleaner, elka front shocks. I have 4300 mi on spider. I use premium gas always. I ride at highway speeds about eighty percent of the time. I ride solo. I have averaged 33 to 37 miles mpg. all the time. I find that if I just use first gear, third gear, and fifth gear, shifting around 4000 rpm I get better mileage, than if I use all gears You might give it a try.

my3gs
01-09-2013, 08:55 PM

I use nothing but 100% pure gas an i am only getting 24-26 but my RT limited only has 1450+ miles on it an its not getting any better. with 91 oct only ?? not much diff HWY or city.

NancysToy
01-09-2013, 11:03 PM
I have a 2012 RT, Performance package, two brothers exhaust, cold air intake, high flow air cleaner, elka front shocks. I have 4300 mi on spider. I use premium gas always. I ride at highway speeds about eighty percent of the time. I ride solo. I have averaged 33 to 37 miles mpg. all the time. I find that if I just use first gear, third gear, and fifth gear, shifting around 4000 rpm I get better mileage, than if I use all gears You might give it a try.
If you shift at 4,000 rpm with an SE, you will eventually burn up your clutch. The rpm has to remain above 3,500 or so most of the time, in order for the clutch to be fully engaged. I'm hoping you have an SM.

wolfeman220940
01-10-2013, 12:06 AM
Do you have to keep it at 4,000 RPM for give SM5?

BajaRon
01-10-2013, 01:50 AM
:agree: 10% is the minimum, Which leads me to believe that at times there's more than the 10%
in the mix. :dontknow:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPkOXWIPJpsfRLNtUkDOi1-3-GJhOIoXIFt2pRBFmUF6l5HVFd

modagwood
01-10-2013, 10:58 AM
If you shift at 4,000 rpm with an SE, you will eventually burn up your clutch. The rpm has to remain above 3,500 or so most of the time, in order for the clutch to be fully engaged. I'm hoping you have an SM.
my rt is an sm, no clutch problems.

NancysToy
01-10-2013, 03:59 PM
my rt is an sm, no clutch problems.
I figured as much...just didn't want SE owners to think they could get away with this extreme.

CycleChamp
01-10-2013, 05:58 PM
I have tried both "Regular" & "High Test" gas in my Spyder and I truthfully see no difference in performance or mileage. The only place I have seen where I could buy No-Ethanol gas around here (Lake Placid, Fl) is a Mom & Pop Store/Gas Station a few miles from my house that started advertising "Boat Gas" when they originally opened last year. I haven't checked to see what price they ask for it, and I am assuming it's no-ethanol gas.

Bob Denman
01-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Let us know if you get a chance to try it. :2thumbs:

Ken Thomas
01-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Are you saying that Lamont drives like a senior:roflblack::roflblack:.

So what are you saying about the way Lamont drives??

:opps::opps::opps::dontknow::dontknow:............ ..............:chill::chill:....................:t rike::wrong:

MikeinGA
01-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Mike,
Bernie

My RS-S is about 25% lighter than the RT's and when I ride in the mountains I try to keep my engine running 4,000 to 5,000 rpm. The other things that helps with the mpg is Amzoil, good plug wires(MSD) and spark plugs(NGK Iridium Spark Plugs) both from BajaRon, a K&N air filter, and tire pressure. That's IMHO.

Mike

Bob Denman
01-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Mike, I think I missed something... :shocked: With those factors in play; what kind of mileage are you getting? :dontknow: