PDA

View Full Version : Received recall today from BRP

MIKESZONE2
01-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Hello all
Just wanted to share this with everybody as a heads up. I received a recall in the mail today from BRP telling me to get my Rt2012 in to check the fuel vapor system as a safety measure. We know that filling the spyder with fuel to the top of tank then parking it in a garage will give off gas vapors. I actually looked at the hose one day and seen those vapors. Since then I will only fill with fuel before a run and not heading home right away. Will bring in next week to have recall checked . This really could be a dangerous thing as it would not take much in a closed space to ignite vapors. I just wanted to share this with all. God bless be safe out there.
Mike

SpyderAnn01
01-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks for posting the info. The information about the recall was posted here a few weeks ago but you are the first person to say that they actually received a notice in the mail. I'll watch for mine.

sawtooth
01-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up......this is an important safety concern.
Remember fuel vapors lay fairly close to the floor that is why water heaters in a garage are on a pedestal. Please be safe.

MarkLawson
01-07-2013, 09:38 PM
I got my notice too but it was just for the relocation of the hoses. As I removed my canister and relocated the overflow hoses it doesn't apply to me. I'm wondering if I will get a separate one for the fuel cap?

I believe the fuel caps will be mailed directly to the owners.

MarkLawson
01-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Hello all
Just wanted to share this with everybody as a heads up. I received a recall in the mail today from BRP telling me to get my Rt2012 in to check the fuel vapor system as a safety measure. We know that filling the spyder with fuel to the top of tank then parking it in a garage will give off gas vapors. I actually looked at the hose one day and seen those vapors. Since then I will only fill with fuel before a run and not heading home right away. Will bring in next week to have recall checked . This really could be a dangerous thing as it would not take much in a closed space to ignite vapors. I just wanted to share this with all. God bless be safe out there.
Mike

We got the recall letter for our '08 GS today also.

ARtraveler
01-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Got a recall notice on the 2009 today.

Bob Denman
01-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Well I'm gonna camp out on the Post Office doorstep... :bbq::bbq::bbq:

dave01
01-08-2013, 07:59 AM
HMMMM, Fuel vapors and an unattended battery tender. Possible recipe for disaster. And people wonder why I would not use one.

Bob Denman
01-08-2013, 08:11 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_5_133.gif

otter28169
01-08-2013, 08:33 AM
I am assuming they are sending the letters and gas caps to the owners of the 08 models first and working there way up to 2012 models. Is this a correct assumption?

bob edward
01-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Hello all
Mike
is the recall 2008 to 2012 or just to 2010s:f_spider:

currin20fan
01-08-2013, 09:29 AM

I'd like to know the answer to that myself!:yikes:

Jharpo
01-08-2013, 12:21 PM

I'd like to know the answer to that myself!:yikes:

We got a call from the dealer that had just sold us a 2012 RT limited 3 days earlier. Asked us to bring the Spyder back in for a new "Fuel Cap". Said they got the notice about an hour after we left the shop and the caps were being shipped to the dealer.

bob edward
01-08-2013, 12:53 PM
We got a call from the dealer that had just sold us a 2012 RT limited 3 days earlier. Asked us to bring the Spyder back in for a new "Fuel Cap". Said they got the notice about an hour after we left the shop and the caps were being shipped to the dealer.
it sounds like 2008 to 2012s i got my spyder in july 2012 so i will have to wait and see. thanks guys:thumbup:.

Lamonster
01-08-2013, 01:08 PM
http://spyder.brp.com/blog/post-details?PostID=ea6cc7c9-764b-44ad-9647-a12e00f66679

grumpybob
01-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Got the recall letter on my 2012 RT today. Will have to wait until April.

jerpinoy
01-08-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm waiting for mine. I hope somebody from BRP are monitoring this site and find out exactly what are concerns.

bcoulter19
01-08-2013, 02:43 PM
I called my dealer about my RS and he said the fuel cap is only for certain ones and asked for my vin on my 2010 so he could check and see if mine was one of the ones with the recall. I wasn't home when I called and didn't have the vin on me so I will get it when i get home today and let you know.

MIKESZONE2
01-08-2013, 04:50 PM
I hope this information helps everybody. I want to say the reply from Dave01 is a valid point about the battery tender in use with gas fumes is a no no. All be careful until this issue is resolved. Also want to say thanks Dave for that input. All of us sharing this type of information on this board is awesome. I will check on the gas cap situation when I go to dealer on recall issue. I will add to this post after the dealer checks the spyder for the recall issue and will keep you all informed. In the mean time be careful and treat this like a emergency as if we can save someone from a garage explosion this writing is so well worth it. You guys and ladies here are so awesome we learn from each other. Iron sharpens Iron. God bless you all be safe.
Mike

SPYD3R
01-08-2013, 04:54 PM
i'm scheduled for my 'fix-it' this coming Saturday.....
POWERSPORTS of GREENVILLE (SC) is awesome... :clap:

Lamonster
01-09-2013, 01:25 PM
I am assuming they are sending the letters and gas caps to the owners of the 08 models first and working there way up to 2012 models. Is this a correct assumption?

From what I was told by BRP, they will be sending out replacement fuel caps to all Canadian and USA registered owners of Can-Am Spyder Roadsters. Starting in January 2013 and over the following 4 to 8 weeks, BRP will be sending to all known registered owners a Safety Recall package that will include a letter and an improved fuel cap for them to install.

The shipping will be prioritized according to seasonality. This means that people in riding season as we speak will be prioritized and receive caps first and then going up to people in the North where snow is present. It's not from oldest models to new models but where people are really riding their roadsters
A postage free return card will also be included in the Safety Recall package for customers that no longer own the vehicle or if the owner's information in the notice is incorrect.

For clarity, two recalls were issued in December.

1) Replacement of the fuel gas cap : for all Spyders, all years, all models.

2) The fuel canister vent hose recall is for 2008-09 and some 2010 GS and RS models. RT's are not impacted by this recall.

currin20fan
01-09-2013, 02:23 PM
From what I was told by BRP, they will be sending out replacement fuel caps to all Canadian and USA registered owners of Can-Am Spyder Roadsters. Starting in January 2013 and over the following 4 to 8 weeks, BRP will be sending to all known registered owners a Safety Recall package that will include a letter and an improved fuel cap for them to install.

The shipping will be prioritized according to seasonality. This means that people in riding season as we speak will be prioritized and receive caps first and then going up to people in the North where snow is present. It's not from oldest models to new models but where people are really riding their roadsters
A postage free return card will also be included in the Safety Recall package for customers that no longer own the vehicle or if the owner's information in the notice is incorrect.

2) The fuel canister vent hose recall is for 2008-09 and some 2010 GS and RS models. RT's are not impacted by this recall.

Thanks for the clarification. :bowdown:

ARtraveler
01-09-2013, 02:25 PM
I have now received recall notices for both my 2008 and 2009 which I no longer own.

pslawing
01-09-2013, 05:30 PM
I got my recall box from BRP today! A note and a new gas cap. 2012 RT

Spyderjockey
01-10-2013, 07:16 PM

What should those of us that have done the "canisterectomy" do about this recall. Should we reverse the "canisterectomy" and then take it to the dealer for the recall or just ignore the recall?:dontknow: My Spyder runs so much better since I did the procedure with no rough running in the 3000-4000 rpms range but I still do have the raw gas odor from time to time. Hopefully the new gas cap will remedy that problem.

Hberninger
01-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Got my new gas cap in the mail today for my 2012 RTS purchased in October of 2012.

Questions
01-10-2013, 10:37 PM
As of 1/9/2013 No letter, no cap for this Spyder owner. Feeling left out of the party.

Boots
01-11-2013, 01:46 AM
hi

Boots
01-11-2013, 01:52 AM
I recieved my recall notice for Fuel Vapor Canister Vent Hose.Will have to wait till weather is good to drive it to the dealership for replacement.

Oldmanzues
01-11-2013, 08:41 AM
I, also received a recall letter for the 08 GS, I traded in ( dealer )when I got the 2010 RT (new ). I had signed up on the owners site, but when I tried to acces it. The site said, my account was locked, no way to contact them, that I know of besides telephone, which could take hours. I tried lost password with no results. I hope who ever got my 08 is not burned up someplace.
Oldmanzues

dhawk
01-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Anyone know how to purchase the IPS key mod?:thumbup:

ladydee
01-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Yes I received my fuel cap in the mail yesterday due to the recall.:spyder:

ladydee
Riverdale, GA

SpyRyd
01-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Anyone know how to purchase the IPS key mod?:thumbup:

Click on the IPS banner on the home page.

spydernatic
01-16-2013, 06:16 PM
I went to my dealer on Saturday to find out about the fuel recall, I was told that I would be getting a new gas cap in the mail and that the fuel canister vent house and reroute is NOT for my 2012 only for 2008 and 2009 models.