PDA

View Full Version : I am registered

Spidergirl
01-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Hi in case anyone is interested in a spyder safety course where you also get your license, it is at Georgian college in Barrie Ontario. It starts the first weekend in may 2013. They supply the spyder.:2excited::yes::yes:

ironsidebob
02-01-2013, 12:28 AM
Im booked for the the June 15-16 course, cant wait, when are you booked for? :thumbup:

condorflysu
02-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Im booked for the the June 15-16 course, cant wait, when are you booked for? :thumbup:

We are also booked May 24th weekend, enjoy... we're going to have a blast :)

F&M

rjetsrick
03-04-2013, 11:18 PM
booked in on a waiting list for May 4-5 as M1 runs out soon after:bowdown:

rjetsrick
03-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Now fully booked in on June 5 6

Chupaca
03-20-2013, 10:23 PM
If we run up from the US will they give us a US license..?? :roflblack:

Buttsy
03-21-2013, 09:29 AM
If we run up from the US will they give us a US license..?? :roflblack:

No problem you got a passport? :shocked:

Spidergirl
03-25-2013, 08:40 PM
booked in on a waiting list for May 4-5 as M1 runs out soon after:bowdown:
Cool me too:2excited:

JayJay
04-06-2013, 05:14 PM
I currently have a valid M2 endorsement of the 2 wheel variety. I have traded my motorcycle for a spyder and am now looking seriously at taking the initial Georgian College spyder course. At the end of the initial course will it be a requirement to take the M2-M practical test or will my existing M2 endorsement exempt me from having to do so? Also if I am exempt but elect to do the test anyway, will that reset the 5 year clock for getting a full M(M) endorsement or am I stuck with my original 5 year M2 timetable that expires in May 2015?

bscrive
04-06-2013, 09:43 PM
As far as I know your M2 will still end in 2015 since you can ride anything with an M2. It still gives you a couple more years to learn on the Spyder. Georgian College also has the M2 exit course that you can take to get your full M(L) license. It is $399 and maybe something to look into. My wife, Spidergirl, will be taking that one as well in a couple of years.

nhoj
04-07-2013, 07:48 AM
I currently have a valid M2 endorsement of the 2 wheel variety. I have traded my motorcycle for a spyder and am now looking seriously at taking the initial Georgian College spyder course. At the end of the initial course will it be a requirement to take the M2-M practical test or will my existing M2 endorsement exempt me from having to do so? Also if I am exempt but elect to do the test anyway, will that reset the 5 year clock for getting a full M(M) endorsement or am I stuck with my original 5 year M2 timetable that expires in May 2015?

That is a very good question. You can only have one licence, so if you take the M2 test with Georgian you will have an M2-M which restricts you to only driving a 3 wheeled motorcycle.

"What are the rules if I have an M2 with condition M licence?
All the conditions of a standard M2 licence apply to you.
But with this licence, you can only ride a three-wheeled motorcycle – or motor tricycle."
....http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/what-are-rules-if-i-have-m2-condition-m-licence

As far as the extension to your M2 for another 5 years, that would be anybodys guess and I think if you asked at an Ontario Drive Centre you would receive conflicting answers. It would totally depend on how the clerk filled out your paperwork.

You do not have to take the M2 test at the end of your course. You have an unrestricted M2 now (until May 2015). That allows you to drive any motorcycle 2 or 3 wheel. I don't know if its an option for you but I would suggest taking your M test on a two wheeled motorcycle and then you would have a full unrestricted M licence.

My wife has a full M and although she has no desire to drive anything other than her Spyder she can always do so.

John

JayJay
04-07-2013, 04:30 PM
That is a very good question. You can only have one licence, so if you take the M2 test with Georgian you will have an M2-M which restricts you to only driving a 3 wheeled motorcycle.

"What are the rules if I have an M2 with condition M licence?
All the conditions of a standard M2 licence apply to you.
But with this licence, you can only ride a three-wheeled motorcycle – or motor tricycle."
....http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/what-are-rules-if-i-have-m2-condition-m-licence

As far as the extension to your M2 for another 5 years, that would be anybodys guess and I think if you asked at an Ontario Drive Centre you would receive conflicting answers. It would totally depend on how the clerk filled out your paperwork.

You do not have to take the M2 test at the end of your course. You have an unrestricted M2 now (until May 2015). That allows you to drive any motorcycle 2 or 3 wheel. I don't know if its an option for you but I would suggest taking your M test on a two wheeled motorcycle and then you would have a full unrestricted M licence.

My wife has a full M and although she has no desire to drive anything other than her Spyder she can always do so.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the info. I think the least confusing approach is to take the Georgian College "Rider Training Basic - Can Am Spyder" course and not take the test at the end of the course. That way I get all the knowledge and practical benefits from taking the course while keeping my existing M2 going forward. As I am retired I can ride my RT under the M2 until the end of the 2014 riding season and then take Georgian's advanced Spyder course ending with an M license with restriction.

I note your suggestion re taking the M test on two wheels. Unfortunately I just traded in my 2 wheeler on a 2013 Spyder RT limited so now its "go 3 wheeler or go home" :D. To be honest, with the amount of traffic down here, and many drivers texting and talking with their heads down I've kind of lost my interest and nerve on a two wheeler. As I said in another post, at my age (58ish) I don't bounce when going to ground. At least not like I did in my younger years!

As an aside, I had to smile when I looked at the bottom of your post. The two wheeler I just traded in was a 2009 Suzuki VStrom DL650A SEA in orange. Great machine!! Obviously you are a wise man with impeccable taste :yes:.

Best Regards,

John J.

nhoj
04-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Hi John,
Thanks for the info. I think the least confusing approach is to take the Georgian College "Rider Training Basic - Can Am Spyder" course and not take the test at the end of the course. That way I get all the knowledge and practical benefits from taking the course while keeping my existing M2 going forward. As I am retired I can ride my RT under the M2 until the end of the 2014 riding season and then take Georgian's advanced Spyder course ending with an M license with restriction.

Good choices John. You will have two riding seasons on your Spyder to get your M2. You may decide in that time to just take the Ministry M test without going back to take another course.

Enjoy your Spyder, my wife sure does and she came from riding a Kawasaki Vulcan 500. I will stick with my V-Strom for now but I can (sometimes :)) take the Spyder too.

Hope to meet up with you sometime, perhaps at the Ottawa event.
best regards,
John

JayJay
04-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Just completed the registration process for the Georgian College basic Spyder course scheduled for May 8 & 9 (Wed/Thu). For those interested they will be using the Spyder ST with semi-automatic transmission. They also offer a "stay where you ride" package. Residence accommodation between training days for $59 + tax. Handy for those having a long return commute between training sessions.

Ride safe!

Spidergirl
04-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Just completed the registration process for the Georgian College basic Spyder course scheduled for May 8 & 9 (Wed/Thu). For those interested they will be using the Spyder ST with semi-automatic transmission. They also offer a "stay where you ride" package. Residence accommodation between training days for $59 + tax. Handy for those having a long return commute between training sessions.

Ride safe!i am sooooo excited. I sat on an ST on the weekend and I really liked it. In a few years I will get one of those.:dg1:

Spyder pat
08-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Now fully booked in on June 5 6

Hey Cool, I was on that one also, take a look at my red RT-S now, made a few modifications to it.731347313573136

Hope to see you out on the open road someday.

Dan McNally
08-05-2013, 08:29 AM
I already had my license, but I took a three day class on trikes in Woodbridge VA, last month. I am very glad I decided to do so . . . learned a lot, and, in a controlled environment, got to do things I wouldn't normally do . . . got to experience the antilock brakes doing their thing . . . fast swerves, sudden stops in the middle of a curve . . . It taught me a lot. Doesn't matter how much you've ridden, through the years, you can always learn more stuff that will help keep you safe . . . and re-learn stuff you haven't thought about in a long time. If there are training classes near you, I strongly recommend them. I got a 10% discount on my insurance, but, since I rode over 100 miles, each way, spent three nights in a hotel and paid $379 for the course, it will be a long time before I break even . . . but I did for the knowledge, not to get a license or a discount on insurance.