PDA

View Full Version : RS TAIL BAG RACK

SPYD3R
01-07-2013, 04:46 PM
hey Coz... r u out there..? :gaah:
help me out pal... give me some advise on my new DYI project... RS-TAIL BAG RACK... i'm heading out to UTAH in May to ryde Rt. 12, AMERICA'S MOST SCENIC HIGHWAY... and i don't care for the side-bags that anyone offers, so i'm making a 'rack' to tie my luggage to... it'll be fab'd out of 1" X 1/4" Aluminum 6061 T6 and 1/4" round stk of the same mat'l... take a look at the pix of the 'cardboard pattern', and let me know what you think - BIGGER, smaller, longer, shorter, higher, lower.... what?... the frt mount will utilize the 2 bolts that hold the passenger hand-rails, and i haven't figured out how to secure the rear just yet, have you any ideas...??? i've already cut the height down by 2", so that's a given now... seat still opens for access to the gas-cap, no issues there... i also plan on mounting a 'back-rest' to the very front of the rack... when it's completed, i'll have my bud here in G'ville powder-coat it BLACK...

anyone else with ideas, hurry them to SPYDERLOVERS before this project is completed....

coz
01-07-2013, 05:14 PM
it would be alot easier if you had a sport rack. how about if it was wider at the rear and could clamp to the passenger handles somehow. seems like that would be a strong and wide platform for the rack.
maybe just a conduit strap with some good padding inside, to connect your rack design right to the handles, without doing any damage.

asp125
01-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Clamp the rear onto the grab rails with U-bolts? (or if you want to get fancy,.. a billet part?)

coz
01-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Clamp the rear onto the grab rails with U-bolts? (or if you want to get fancy,.. a billet part?)
:agree: u-bolts would work well. you could pad them with some rubber fuel line or other tubing.:thumbup:

SPYD3R
01-07-2013, 05:36 PM
OK, i'm listening... who makes this SPORTS RACK Coz...?
as for the 'rear mounting'... i like these ideas... i have some Panduit straps that are 1/2" wide, and could hold down a bus... when finished, i'll post the pix...

asp125
01-07-2013, 05:46 PM
As it sits.. that design just calls out for a ghetto-fabulous milk crate! :D

coz
01-07-2013, 05:54 PM
the brp rack/pass.backrest. i suspect you'll do just fine without one:roflblack:. you have mad modding skills:thumbup:

SPYD3R
01-07-2013, 06:01 PM
As it sits.. that design just calls out for a ghetto-fabulous milk crate! :D

have you nothing better to say...?

coz
01-07-2013, 06:03 PM
do they make chrome milk crates?:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack ::roflblack::roflblack::popcorn:seriously, i'll bet this rack turns out sweet, for about thirty bucks.

SPYD3R
01-07-2013, 06:10 PM
http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_42&products_id=109

THX Orange.... but for $330, i'll continue with my creation... the reason i do these DIY's is b'kuz all these 'after-market' parts are sooooooo darn expensive..... +, it's a lot of fun doing it yourself... don't you think?

NancysToy
01-07-2013, 07:24 PM
You might also want to consider the KewlMetal rack.

NancysToy
01-07-2013, 09:50 PM
do they make chrome milk crates?:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack ::roflblack::roflblack::popcorn:seriously, i'll bet this rack turns out sweet, for about thirty bucks.
I knew a racer that had some chromed once. Used to sit his dragster on them to thrash on it between rounds. Anything for a show..... nojoke

asp125
01-07-2013, 11:07 PM
have you nothing better to say...?

I was joking of course. But hey.. if it's good enough for Ducati. http://12velectronics.net/iupload/milkcrate.jpg

('scuse me while I go out to the garage to scrounge up a milk crate)

Tx web rider
01-08-2013, 12:13 AM
made this for last years spyderfest got 1 inch pvc and some Ts that are pre notched and some elbows and made a cross bar that keeps bad off the back of the seat so when you get gas there is no unstrapping the bags
596495965059651this should work with or without the sport rack but take precautions on your paint if without

GoodVybrations
01-08-2013, 02:59 AM
G'day from Australia, where it's a "pleasant" 42 deg celsius, windy, with "catastrophic" bushfire warning current in our part of the country.
On our RS we have the factory rack / backrest.
We needed a bit more luggage room when on long trips, so I bolted a small esky ( ice box ?) to the plate that replaces the backrest. the esky has a lumbar cushion I bought from an accessory shop attached to the front.
Before leaving for a trip, I just unclip the backrest, and clip the rack / esky on, takes about a minute. Cost about 60 clams. No worries.
Michael.

Trickie Dick
01-08-2013, 08:27 AM

Just strap it down. I got so much in this bag, I couldn't carry it into the motel. :roflblack:

SPYD3R
01-09-2013, 05:45 PM
THANX every1 for all the gr8 tips & suggestions for my DYI TAIL BAG RACK project...

hey Coz, per u'r request, here r some pix of the 'almost final' project... i still need to soda-blast it, and then dip it in black PLASTI-DIP ...
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
to give it a soft coating...

i also will be mounting a 'back-rest' to this thing... as for 1 of my earlier questions for ty'n down the rear, i won't need that since the frt. is a hard mount to the 'passenger hand-rail' bolts under the seat... using 1"X 1/4" stk, it fits under the seat with ZERO problems...

OH, and 'YES' my seat opens up all the way to access my very NEW BPR GAS CAP....
59700 59701

coz
01-09-2013, 07:40 PM
it looks great. i imagine it's very solid once it's bolted down. does the rear just rest on the handles? i would only suggest padding it real well so it doesn't dig in with weight of a bag on it, and a backrest. i'm with ya dan, a black coating will look great. very professional job.:thumbup:

SPYD3R
01-09-2013, 08:02 PM
it looks great. i imagine it's very solid once it's bolted down. does the rear just rest on the handles? i would only suggest padding it real well so it doesn't dig in with weight of a bag on it, and a backrest. i'm with ya dan, a black coating will look great. very professional job.:thumbup:

YET, ANOTHER GR8 IDEA U GIVE ME..... :yes: y didn't i think of dat...? :gaah: :dontknow: :gaah:
i;ll glue some rubber pads on the under-side of the rails where they touch the hand-grips...
WOW... :bowdown: u r something else.... :firstplace: :clap:

coz
01-09-2013, 09:33 PM
glad i could add my two cents worth:roflblack:

Neez
01-09-2013, 10:19 PM
I have followed your project with interest, Spyd3r, since I plan to attempt something similar this winter. For my project, I went to Bent Bike, a nearby motorcycle wrecker, and bought a used Hondaline rack and backrest unit for a few bucks. As you can see from the photos, the backrest adjusts forth and back. The challenge, as you have found, will be mounting it securely, without interfering with the seat opening.
I like the look of your project and admire your DIY spirit.Best of luck with it!

Bob Denman
01-10-2013, 03:22 PM
It's looking pretty good, Dan! :thumbup:

SPYD3R
01-10-2013, 03:26 PM
It's looking pretty good, Dan! :thumbup:

just now applied the 5th coat of PLASTI-COAT, and earlier today, i fad' a 'back-rest' out of PT plywood, and took it to a seamstress to sew up a really-kool cover... more pix to come Bob...

Bob Denman
01-10-2013, 05:53 PM
:bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq:

SPYD3R
01-14-2013, 02:14 PM
HAPPY/NOT HAPPY.....
ok dudes & dudettes... here is the final product of my RS DYI TAIL-BAG-RACK...
i'm 95% happy, and 5% not happy...
not happy = $70 for a back rest sew job that looks like a 3 yr. old did... other than that, i'm happy... strong, will carry what i need for long-hauls... and kind'a fits in with the rest of the SPYD3R...

as you'll notice, my seat still goes high enough so that i have access to gas-cap, etc... the front mounts i utilized the passenger hand-rail bolts...

see pix:

Bob Denman
01-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Ninety-Five percent is a pretty decent passing grade! :clap: :firstplace:
Who did the sewing on your backrest? For $70; it might be worth asking them to clean it up a bit... :dontknow:

coz
01-14-2013, 05:36 PM
is it comfortable ? that's the main thing. you're only going to use it once in a while, right ? get what you can get from the upholstery shop and call it good. i think overall the whole rig looks pretty nice .:thumbup:

SPYD3R
01-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Ninety-Five percent is a pretty decent passing grade! :clap: :firstplace:
Who did the sewing on your backrest? For $70; it might be worth asking them to clean it up a bit... :dontknow:

no comment on 'who did the sewing'.... but as for the question from Coz... it's comfortable... but i'll probably make another one....

Bob Denman
01-14-2013, 06:02 PM
'nuff said! ;) :thumbup: